Post here your Elvis' pictures

Wertheimer photos for sale!!!... (in 1957)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 am

I don´t know about you, but I found this interesting. Wertheimer photos were advertised for sale in this April 1957 issue of Teen Life magazine. And a full page ad as well. I always thought his photos were quite rare until the publication of the book Elvis ´56: In The Beginning in 1979. But were they? Was that just a marketing gimmick? I have seen his photos in many, many 50s magazines. Anywhooooo, his photos of Elvis are amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Wertheimer photos for sale!!!... (in 1957)

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:03 pm

The fool wrote:I don´t know about you, but I found this interesting. Wertheimer photos were advertised for sale in this April 1957 issue of Teen Life magazine. And a full page ad as well. I always thought his photos were quite rare until the publication of the book Elvis ´56: In The Beginning in 1979. But were they? Was that just a marketing gimmick? I have seen his photos in many, many 50s magazines. Anywhooooo, his photos of Elvis are amazing.

Wow, that's a fantastic find and a nice looking magazine. Thanks. It seems Mr. Wertheimer's photos have been issued time and time again. Even the new 2013 calendar pedals the same old shots we have all seen over and over.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

The fool wrote:I don´t know about you, but I found this interesting. Wertheimer photos were advertised for sale in this April 1957 issue of Teen Life magazine. And a full page ad as well. I always thought his photos were quite rare until the publication of the book Elvis ´56: In The Beginning in 1979. But were they? Was that just a marketing gimmick? I have seen his photos in many, many 50s magazines. Anywhooooo, his photos of Elvis are amazing.

If you look closely, the photos in the ad are not all by Al Wertheimer. And it indicates the magazine is simply selling actual prints they have on hand. They note that if the prints are gone before one's order gets there, they will send the money back.

Most of Al's images were kind of a well-kept secret until Elvis '56: In The Beginning was published in 1979.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I usually find a surprise or two in every calendar. Never missed a one!

There's also another book, that goes into more detail. About his life, the photos, etc. I am getting it. I think we're most fortunate that these two great artists brought out the best in each other.

I have no complaints.

rjm

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

If you look closely, the photos in the ad are not all by Al Wertheimer. And it indicates the magazine is simply selling actual prints they have on hand. They note that if the prints are gone before one's order gets there, they will send the money back.

Most of Al's images were kind of a well-kept secret until Elvis '56: In The Beginning was published in 1979.

That book still holds up very well.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Just wondering. 'fool' as you are obviously a big Elvis magazine collector, do you have any Finnish mags with Elvis on or with Elvis inside? If so, could you show us some please?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Just wondering. 'fool' as you are obviously a big Elvis magazine collector, do you have any Finnish mags with Elvis on or with Elvis inside? If so, could you show us some please?

Sure, I´d be glad to do that. I will start a new thread for those soon.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm

The fool wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

Sure, I´d be glad to do that. I will start a new thread for those soon.

Teriffic! I would like to get my hands on some more non UK or USA mags.