Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Truth be told, I chose to indulge in side-topics, brought forth by a few as points of argument, in order to show they have zero credibility. This was done.

Wait - didn't you earlier write ...

I removed that post, as it is not the impression I wish to leave on this topic.

With all due respect, isn't that the equivalent of someone writing a remark and then it getting removed by the mods? In other words, the post was written and published and read and, now the harm is done, the post has gone and we pretend it never happened.

Perhaps a better way forward would be to apologise, saying that you wrote the words in the heat of the moment and now regret it. You quite clearly do regret it or you wouldn't have removed the post, but whether you regret it because you potentially offended someone, or whether you regret it because of the way it looks on you and your behaviour is unclear.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:With all due respect, isn't that the equivalent of someone writing a remark and then it getting removed by the mods?

Nope.

The comment was 100% spot-on. I just decided to rise above. I ain't gonna play that FTD, "bitching over minutia" game.

But you have fun!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:00 pm

billyblues wrote:If "Don't buy it, then" is the way to go... Well, I guess we have some good argument now every time that some users start to heavily criticize certain songs from Elvis' catalogue and those who listen to 'em. Heck, if we can't discuss the merits of this release... Don't listen to the songs, then if you don't like them. People are not even speaking of some minor thing like a mistake on the printed tracklist (as happened in A Boy From Tupelo) - there are way more valid reasons to discuss the matter at hand.

Oh well. The release is out there already. Keep discussing - it seems that some things will never change, here or anywhere else.

Good Point billy blues - I Totally agree with this - Elvis surely released great songs during his career and we love em all - Like all fans of E.P. we have the chance to get whatever pleases us always .
TCE4Evr -

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 am

"Bitching over minutia" is just another way of saying "I have a low view of the complaint, and those complaining are overreacting."

Again, I say that the majority holds a different perspective, and indeed, perhaps, have higher expectations from the premium products offered by FTD. Also, as noted, this is not a simple "don't like it, don't buy it" scenario. Outside of the My Way screw-up, if the collector base embraces junky releases like this it sets a precedent for future junky releases from FTD to be put out. That would not be a positive direction.

Remember, this is just a collection of masters, masters readily available. It isn't being offered at a cheaper price. The whole 70s Masters set can be had - a 5 disc product with extensive liner notes - for £14. Or, you can get a 2 disc FTD 70 singles collection for £21. This ain't no collectors release, there's nothing collectible on it! It's merely a vanity project. And even when it's as simple as lining up some master audio files, it still gets screwed up with the inclusion of a non-single version of a song.

But yeah, bitching over minutia.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 am

Can any one tell me why do fans bitch on this forum - Its all un called for - we are all fans of Elvis and there shuldnt be any bitchn or disagreements between fans - This is so un called for - every one should respect others and their viewpoints -
So cmon guys -

lets all be friends and enjoy The Kings Work And Career -

Just To Think what new members would think when they join this group and read some comments from some members -Ok - ( Just a thought guys - )

- ''Lets Be Friends
''
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 am

Matthew wrote:"Bitching over minutia" is just another way of saying "I have a low view of the complaint, and those complaining are overreacting."

Again, I say that the majority holds a different perspective, and indeed, perhaps, have higher expectations from the premium products offered by FTD. Also, as noted, this is not a simple "don't like it, don't buy it" scenario. Outside of the My Way screw-up, if the collector base embraces junky releases like this it sets a precedent for future junky releases from FTD to be put out. That would not be a positive direction.

Remember, this is just a collection of masters, masters readily available. It isn't being offered at a cheaper price. The whole 70s Masters set can be had - a 5 disc product with extensive liner notes - for £14. Or, you can get a 2 disc FTD 70 singles collection for £21. This ain't no collectors release, there's nothing collectible on it! It's merely a vanity project. And even when it's as simple as lining up some master audio files, it still gets screwed up with the inclusion of a non-single version of a song.

I can tell you're itching for an FTD revision of "Elvis' 40 Greatest"!

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:09 am

karlos wrote:Can any one tell me why do fans bitch on this forum - Its all un called for - we are all fans of Elvis and there shuldnt be any bitchn or disagreements between fans - This is so un called for - every one should respect others and their viewpoints -
So cmon guys -

Just To Think what new members would think when they join this group and read some comments from some members -Ok - ( Just a thought guys - )

- ''Lets Be Friends
''

So just because we're fans we have to agree with each other? Yeah, that makes sense.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:15 am

Matthew wrote:"Bitching over minutia" is just another way of saying "I have a low view of the complaint, and those complaining are overreacting."

You're talking to a brick wall, and one that I feel pretty certain is arguing a case that he actually doesn't believe. You have been here long enough now to know that any criticism of FTD, no matter how valid, is a heinous crime which I believe is still punished by burning at the stake.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new FTD boxed set that is coming out next year entitled "FTD: The Corrections", which will contain all of the material that has suffered from technical glitches and mastering errors in the past as well as songs that were not included on releases but should have been. Due to the fact that the set is coming from FTD, however, it will be called "FTD: The Korrections" due to a typo.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:
karlos wrote:Can any one tell me why do fans bitch on this forum - Its all un called for - we are all fans of Elvis and there shuldnt be any bitchn or disagreements between fans - This is so un called for - every one should respect others and their viewpoints -
So cmon guys -

- ''Lets Be Friends
''

.............................................................................................................
So just because we're fans we have to agree with each other?
Yeah, that makes sense.

............................................................................................................................................
Agree with ya buddy - we need to put our views across and dont argue or get mad with fellow fans - some people / fans need ta earn respect - before givn it out - Okay buddy -

If this world consists of Elvis fans - This world would be a better place - I Once heard this - Amen -

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:50 am

karlos wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
So cmon guys -

- ''Lets Be Friends
''

.............................................................................................................
So just because we're fans we have to agree with each other?
Yeah, that makes sense.

............................................................................................................................................
Agree with ya buddy - we need to put our views across and dont argue or get mad with fellow fans - some people / fans need ta earn respect - before givn it out - Okay buddy -

If this world consists of Elvis fans - This world would be a better place - I Once heard this - Amen -

I was being sarcastic. To say all Elvis fans have to agree with each other is one of the most ridiculous things yet uttered on these boards...and with some of the members we currently have, that's quite an achievment!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 am

I pre-ordered the December FTD's i wanted from man and music on Sunday..... and whilst browsing was pretty 'amazed' that 'hits of the 70's' FTD was 'out of stock' boy maybe quite a few people actually bought it after all!? :? :?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 am

I only received my copy yesterday, therefore I didn’t comment previously.
drjohncarpenter wrote:The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality,

I can’t better this quote and it echoes my sentiments exactly. And I welcome this release just as I would “Elvis In Demand”

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 am

I agree, Julian.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 am

YDKM wrote: and whilst browsing was pretty 'amazed' that 'hits of the 70's' FTD was 'out of stock' boy maybe quite a few people actually bought it after all!? :? :?

Elvis collectors will buy almost anything with his name on it - FTD decided to tap that vein, knowing the addicted would come through in droves!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 am

I caved and bought it -but at great discount due to ShopElvis'
Big sale... :oops: :smt005

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:15 am

Hey Greg, A belated Happy Thanksgiving. Just ordered "'70's Hits;" "Wonderful World Of Christmas" and "Memories Of Elvis." Got in on the 30% off deal. Still a number of releases behind.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:02 pm

Julian Grant wrote:I only received my copy yesterday, therefore I didn’t comment previously.
drjohncarpenter wrote:The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality,

I can’t better this quote and it echoes my sentiments exactly. And I welcome this release just as I would “Elvis In Demand”

Thanks!

Everyone should know by now I am nothing if not the sentimental type.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:10 pm

I bought this FTD upon release, but actually only got to play disc 1 yesterday and disc 2 today and you know what? I enjoyed it and will play it often. I think it is a good compilation and a few songs which I don't like that much, played in this context, I actually like. I'm a fan since 1958 and love the raw Elvis, but boy did he sing well in the seventies. Each decade has his bad songs and I'm not referring to movie songs before some members are starting to get ironic. For me the bad songs in the 70's are songs like "Padre", "Hurt", although I know that some love this last song. I'm thinking of buying it for a Christmas present and like sweetangeline said, the person receiving it will be surprised how vast and varied the 70's songs were. Elvis wanted to be more than a rock singer, which is no surprise with the fabulous voice he had and it's a pity that some fans are blaming him for that and in a certain way didn't want him to grow up.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Josee wrote:I bought this FTD upon release, but actually only got to play disc 1 yesterday and disc 2 today and you know what? I enjoyed it and will play it often. I think it is a good compilation and a few songs which I don't like that much, played in this context, I actually like. I'm a fan since 1958 and love the raw Elvis, but boy did he sing well in the seventies. Each decade has his bad songs and I'm not referring to movie songs before some members are starting to get ironic. For me the bad songs in the 70's are songs like "Padre", "Hurt", although I know that some love this last song. I'm thinking of buying it for a Christmas present and like sweetangeline said, the person receiving it will be surprised how vast and varied the 70's songs were. Elvis wanted to be more than a rock singer, which is no surprise with the fabulous voice he had and it's a pity that some fans are blaming him for that and in a certain way didn't want him to grow up.

Josee, the complaint about the release has never been that it would not be enjoyable, but that it has no right to be on a collectors label. The fact that you able to consider buying the item for a Christmas present for someone who is (presumably) not a hard-core fan only illustrates this point.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Josee wrote:I bought this FTD upon release, but actually only got to play disc 1 yesterday and disc 2 today and you know what? I enjoyed it and will play it often. I think it is a good compilation and a few songs which I don't like that much, played in this context, I actually like. I'm a fan since 1958 and love the raw Elvis, but boy did he sing well in the seventies. Each decade has his bad songs and I'm not referring to movie songs before some members are starting to get ironic. For me the bad songs in the 70's are songs like "Padre", "Hurt", although I know that some love this last song. I'm thinking of buying it for a Christmas present and like sweetangeline said, the person receiving it will be surprised how vast and varied the 70's songs were. Elvis wanted to be more than a rock singer, which is no surprise with the fabulous voice he had and it's a pity that some fans are blaming him for that and in a certain way didn't want him to grow up.

Josee, the complaint about the release has never been that it would not be enjoyable, but that it has no right to be on a collectors label. The fact that you able to consider buying the item for a Christmas present for someone who is (presumably) not a hard-core fan only illustrates this point.

I understand the complaint, but on the other hand I bought this LP back in the seventies and it's nice to have it released in the Classics series with the original album tracks and cover. The outtakes are already or will be released on the other original albums, so no point to include them on this album.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:12 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Josee, the complaint about the release has never been that it would not be enjoyable, but that it has no right to be on a collectors label. The fact that you able to consider buying the item for a Christmas present for someone who is (presumably) not a hard-core fan only illustrates this point.

Exactly - it should have been a mainstream Sony catalogue re-issue priced per the Legacy Editions and available for purchase broadly, including iTunes. Not a premium priced "collectors" product available only through the fan-club/Graceland network, targeted at milking the hardcore collector base for all its worth.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Josee, the complaint about the release has never been that it would not be enjoyable, but that it has no right to be on a collectors label.

No right?

Where is the FTD Rulebook? Which one has been violated? Please do share.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Where is the FTD Rulebook?

It was last seen in a snatch and grab mugging by one Roger Semon whilst Ernst looked up, offering a quiet defeated sigh before dusting himself down and going inside to wash his hands of it.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:31 pm

What is right or what is wrong is a matter of opinion. If you take Hits Of The 70's (FTD) and compare it with the two first discs of Walk A Mile In My Shoes (box) they're almost identical.
Save for It's Only Love/The Sound Of Your Cry and Raised On Rock/For Ol' Time Sake.
I for one really liked the original vinyl album, so much I made my own special CDR of it including most of what now appeared on the FTD outting. I don't have anything against it. A nice package, great 70's singles and I don't have any problem spinning those discs all over again. If you don't want it, leave it! Simple as that. For those who for some reason don't have the 70's box set, this one is a nice additon regarding 70's singles.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Josee, the complaint about the release has never been that it would not be enjoyable, but that it has no right to be on a collectors label.

No right?

Where is the FTD Rulebook? Which one has been violated? Please do share.

It's the same rulebook that says Dr John Carpenter will never allow himself to say anything against an FTD product. You know that book, right?