Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Bootlegs from a bygone age

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Remember the old days? Aaaah! The 80's - before the word soundboard was in our vocabulary! Before Stereo masters and outtake sessions as we know 'em today had been found. We STILL loved those old bootlegs didn't we?

Remember these:

COMMAND PERFORMANCE - A great LP of live cuts from 1970 to 74, focusing mainly on August 74. All were Vegas audience recordings, but I was enthralled with the consistent great quality and despite the normally pretty rough sounding August 74 shows, when the songs were taken out of the context of the rambling shows, they were fabulous! Plus, we got to hear the best "Oh Happy Day" to date!

When the CD re-issue instated bonus tracks in the same quality from the equally excellent NEVADA NIGHTS E.P, I was pleased to bits! I still rate the CD to this day.

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS - What a fine box set!! All those outtakes and the ultimate surprise waiting at the end - an whole side dedicated to unreleased RCA LIVE recordings from 69 and 70!! WOW! It cost me £40 and i was in heaven!

COMPLETE BLUE HAWAII SESSIONS - I was in love with these albums! WOW! Complete sessions! All the dialogue too! I was amused, entertained and one happy buyer!

ELVIS ROCKS AND THE GIRLS ROLL - I was amazed to hear a 68 special rehearsal in such fine quality. It was one of the first boots I ever bought too!

THE BURBANK SESSIONS - These were the ultimate boots back then. I have always thought the two stand up shows were Elvis' finest hour. And when they were issued on one double album, I almost died of joy (if that's possible!).

Over to you folks - what classics did you really dig back then?

Re: Bootlegs from a bygone age

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 am

Some Of My Favorites

1.The Burbank Sessions - Vols 1 And 2 - 2 Lp Sets -Audifon Label -

2.The 68 Come back Special - Vols 1 And 2 - -Audifon Label - Single Lp Record -

3. Thats The Way It Is -Amiga Label-Single Lp Record -

4. On Tour - Amiga Label -Single Lp Record -

5. Aloha From Hawaii - Amiga Label -Consisted Of Aloha Rehearsal Show - Jan 12th 1973 -
6. Rock'n With Elvis On New Years Eve -Pittsburgh -
December 31st 1976 - Spirit Of America Label - 2 Lp Set --Sold approx - £25.00 At Time -

7.Behind Closed Doors - 4 Lp Set - Came In A Box - With Elvis 68 Pic On Cover Wearing Red Waistcoat
-Audifon Label - Great Out Takes On 4 Lps - Sold Around £40.OO At Time

[
........................................................................................................
-[b] I Love them all that were available when I was much younger -Great tImes -

Great Titles /Great Sounds From The King -
Great Releases Back Then Before Cds Were Released -

[/b]...............................................................

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:58 am

Great topic !!!
Those were the days !!! Going to Elvis meetings all over Europe.
Receiving flyers in the mail, ordering the latest bootlegs and than the wait until the mailman drops of the package(s)....lots of packages !!!

Rough Cut Diamonds.....
From The Waist Up.....
Softly As I leave You........
Long Lost Songs.....
Changing Pants.....
Good Times Never Seemed So Good....
LakeLand Florida Show...(great cover, awesome tracklisting, but man did I get scr**ed!!!)
All the Rocking' Rebel volumes......
Rockin' With Elvis New years Eve.........
A Dinner date With Elvis.........
Back In Portland........

Bilko....Laurel....Vicky.....all those awesome lables....they kept comming with great products.

I just love the bootleg scene.... :)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Sun Hero wrote:Great topic !!!
Those were the days !!! Going to Elvis meetings all over Europe.
Receiving flyers in the mail, ordering the latest bootlegs and than the wait until the mailman drops of the package(s)....lots of packages !!!

Rough Cut Diamonds.....
From The Waist Up.....
Softly As I leave You........
Long Lost Songs.....
Changing Pants.....
Good Times Never Seemed So Good....
LakeLand Florida Show...(great cover, awesome tracklisting, but man did I get scr**ed!!!)
All the Rocking' Rebel volumes......
Rockin' With Elvis New years Eve.........
A Dinner date With Elvis.........
Back In Portland........

Bilko....Laurel....Vicky.....all those awesome lables....they kept comming with great products.

I just love the bootleg scene.... :)

I agree with most of your list except Lakeland Florida Show. Id heard a lot about it but felt let down by its low quality. The others are great and I was so happy getting my copy of Rockin with Elvis on New Years Eve!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

That ‘Lakeland’ LP contained several studio versions of songs with added applause. I remember buying this from Marco van der Meij (a well-known Dutch bootlegger) at a convention at the time, and he told me that it was ‘great!’. The tracklisting looked interesting, so I bought it from him… Imagine my great disappointment when I put it on the turntable. This was the time before the internet, so back then bootleggers could get away with stunts like that.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Nice cover, indeed.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Remember the old days? Aaaah! The 80's - before the word soundboard was in our vocabulary! Before Stereo masters and outtake sessions as we know 'em today had been found. We STILL loved those old bootlegs didn't we?

Remember these:

COMMAND PERFORMANCE - A great LP of live cuts from 1970 to 74, focusing mainly on August 74. All were Vegas audience recordings, but I was enthralled with the consistent great quality and despite the normally pretty rough sounding August 74 shows, when the songs were taken out of the context of the rambling shows, they were fabulous! Plus, we got to hear the best "Oh Happy Day" to date!

When the CD re-issue instated bonus tracks in the same quality from the equally excellent NEVADA NIGHTS E.P, I was pleased to bits! I still rate the CD to this day.

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS - What a fine box set!! All those outtakes and the ultimate surprise waiting at the end - an whole side dedicated to unreleased RCA LIVE recordings from 69 and 70!! WOW! It cost me £40 and i was in heaven!

COMPLETE BLUE HAWAII SESSIONS - I was in love with these albums! WOW! Complete sessions! All the dialogue too! I was amused, entertained and one happy buyer!

ELVIS ROCKS AND THE GIRLS ROLL - I was amazed to hear a 68 special rehearsal in such fine quality. It was one of the first boots I ever bought too!

THE BURBANK SESSIONS - These were the ultimate boots back then. I have always thought the two stand up shows were Elvis' finest hour. And when they were issued on one double album, I almost died of joy (if that's possible!).

Over to you folks - what classics did you really dig back then?

Command Performance contains what, to this day, is still my favorite recording of It's Midnight.

The material is sourced from several different shows, but the audio quality and characteristics are remarkably similar. Booth recordings, perhaps? And, what became of the other tracks?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 am

Rock Legend wrote:That ‘Lakeland’ LP contained several studio versions of songs with added applause. I remember buying this from Marco van der Meij (a well-known Dutch bootlegger) at a convention at the time, and he told me that it was ‘great!’. The tracklisting looked interesting, so I bought it from him… Imagine my great disappointment when I put it on the turntable. This was the time before the internet, so back then bootleggers could get away with stunts like that.

Same here.....waarschijnlijk waren we bij dezelfde meeting :)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 am

Rock Legend wrote: Marco van der Meij (a well-known Dutch bootlegger)

Whatever happend with Marco?.
After the bootleg raids in Holland I've never heard from him again.....

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:45 am

Zit er wel in :-)

We hebben er wel wat afgestruind samen! :-)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:28 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Remember the old days? Aaaah! The 80's

Yes, the days before CD's and I pods and Elvis on Vinyl from your favourite record store. How great that was!

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:BEHIND CLOSED DOORS - What a fine box set!! All those outtakes and the ultimate surprise waiting at the end - an whole side dedicated to unreleased RCA LIVE recordings from 69 and 70!! WOW! It cost me £40 and i was in heaven!

It was a brilliant set - I LOVED IT. Still do!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 am

Lisa Rose wrote:Nice cover, indeed.

That cover is awesome! I've never seen that before.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 am

Julian Grant wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:BEHIND CLOSED DOORS - What a fine box set!! All those outtakes and the ultimate surprise waiting at the end - an whole side dedicated to unreleased RCA LIVE recordings from 69 and 70!! WOW! It cost me £40 and i was in heaven!

It was a brilliant set - I LOVED IT. Still do!

That one is definitely going with me when my time is up...

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:37 pm

The bootlegs Paul Dowling and Ger had a part in remain some of the best titles you can get on Elvis.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:42 pm

A yes..., i have nice memories of those days,

Always loved Bilko's "There's always me" volumes 1-4 a very beautifull
package of cd's esspecially in those days.
Also the Ford baxter's "a profile on stage" box sets were a favorite of mine.
And what about Tulsa's "the Cafe Europa session" 4cd with LP, also a beauty.

great post by the way, brings back good memories

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 am

My favs...From the waist up, with bonus poster. 1st Elvis bootleg I ever bought. paid $ 7.99 !!!!
Behind closed doors ..fab box set! paid $ 25.00 for this beauty.
Rockin' with Elvis New Years' Eve 1976..double record set in a gatefold cover, pictures from the actual concert! Paid $ 13.99 for this one! couldn't wait to get it home to play it!!
The '68 comeback ..on Memphis king label. Stunning outtakes to my ears ! paid $ 7.99 for this one.
Elvis hawaii benefit concert 1961. beautiful package with gatefold cover opening up with pages like a scrapbook with clippings about the show. Wow! I flipped for this one! only cost me $ 9.99 back then!
TV Guide presents Elvis on the Hound Dawg label. Bought this in early 1977 and it was black vinyl. a few years later, they were putting it out on colored vinyl. I didn't buy it a second time because I never saw it anywhere. paid $ 7.99 for this one.
One's I wanted but never got.....Command Performance...The Legend Lives On...Got a lot 'o livin' to do...
Cadillac Elvis...and many more. I learned about bootlegs by finding them at Cowtown in the summer of '76. A dealer there had albums factory sealed on labels with funny names "golden archives" etc... wow, what are these?? I soon found out, and couldn't wait for my next trip to Cowtown!!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Mike Eder wrote:The bootlegs Paul Dowling and Ger had a part in remain some of the best titles you can get on Elvis.

The contribution of Ger Rijff to the Elvis World may very well be considered as the second most important influence, probably right after the contribution of Ernst Jorgensen. Absolutely fabulous books like The Cool King, Florida Close Up, Memphis Lonesome, Faces and Stages and Long Lonely Highway which set a very high standard. With 'his' bootleg labels like Fort Baxter, Bilko and Flashback and the high quality releases in both sound and art work he showed the way for FTD to go and gave us fans some great product. I treasure his books and some of the old books, although I was too young at the time to buy them all.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Do people still often play their vinyl boots? I do. It wss so great then to buy 'em on a store. I wish such small stores still existed.

Well I am just grateful to have FTD. It doesn't have that thrill, but I'm not complaing. FTD is a legal "bootleg" outlet. In the manner of the Bobster's "bootleg series" on a major label. But with more love.

rjm

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:47 pm

i remember being intrigued by the cover of
Fist Years - dont recall if any of the actual content was good, but the picture of a young elvis on the back was really intriguing

and the cover of
Back In Vegas looked pretty awesome. and the fact it gave a chance to hear a 1969 show made me play this a lot of times

and the lp box of
behind closed doors got played to death

other titles i remember playing was
King Goes Wild - ed sullivan stuff
From The Dark To The Light - with a really weird drawn cover, featured ttwii rehearsals i think?
Las Vegas To Niagara Falls - a 1973 and a 1974 concert!
Hot Summer Night - 1972 las vegas show
Jailhouse Rock and Blue Hawaii sessions - studio outtakes of 2 soundtracks whch were pretty awesome at the time
Burbank Sessions and 68 Comeback - really cool alternate stuff from this important elvis event

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 pm

voldto wrote:i remember being intrigued by the cover of
Fist Years - dont recall if any of the actual content was good, but the picture of a young elvis on the back was really intriguing

and the cover of
Back In Vegas looked pretty awesome. and the fact it gave a chance to hear a 1969 show made me play this a lot of times

and the lp box of
behind closed doors got played to death

other titles i remember playing was
King Goes Wild - ed sullivan stuff
From The Dark To The Light - with a really weird drawn cover, featured ttwii rehearsals i think?
Las Vegas To Niagara Falls - a 1973 and a 1974 concert!

Hot Summer Night - 1972 las vegas show
Jailhouse Rock and Blue Hawaii sessions - studio outtakes of 2 soundtracks whch were pretty awesome at the time
Burbank Sessions and 68 Comeback - really cool alternate stuff from this important elvis event

........................................................................................

yes great cover Voldto - Thanks for sharing
Other titles included were

From The Beach To The Bayou -
Elvis - Rough Cut Diamonds -
Elvis - Plantation Rock
Elvis - Sold Out
Americas Own - Vols 1 and 2
Leavin It Up To You
A Dinner Date With Elvis

Great memories /times for me and many more fans -
There were loads available from sellers in the late 70s - 80's

Enjoy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't have Back In Vegas. That cover photo is remarkable! If I could could get a real his res version of it, I'd frame it! Awesome!

Thanks for posting!

rjm