Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Charlie Hodge credit for his on stage efforts

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Charlie seems to get a bit of a rough deal from many, but you can't doubt the man loved Elvis.

I was watching the Kanasa City footage on The Final Curtain and Charlie deserved a lot for getting Elvis through a lot of shows. Theres genuine love in Charlies eyes for Elvis, you can see him egging Elvis on when its clear he can't/shouldn't be performing. Charlie seemed to know how to keep his spirits up and get him through those times, he was a trusted aid on stage and credit must surely go to the man.

Any doubters should just watch this footage and you'll see what i mean. For me the Kanasa 77 footage is possibly the saddest i've seen, yes EIC is a horrible watch but in the Kansas footage Elvis walks on stage and then it seems he doesnt actually move a step for about 20 mins.

Well done Charlie, RIP.

Re: Charlie Hodge credit for his on stage efforts

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Kansas City is very similar to the Omaha show. He was better the 20th and Rapid City is certainly one of the better '77 shows. And yes, I agree, Charlie should get more credit here on this message board. But some people (Sherill Nielsen) and songs (My Boy) will always be a joke around here :roll:

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Absolutely agree, thanks for the response.

I love My Boy

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Charlie was definitely worth his weight in gold on stage with Elvis - keeping his mood up, keeping him organised etc, and to see what it meant to Charlie, you just have to watch Hurt from EIC - look at Charlie's reaction when Elvis hits the note, he's rooting for him all the way...

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Charlie was definitely worth his weight in gold on stage with Elvis - keeping his mood up, keeping him organised etc, and to see what it meant to Charlie, you just have to watch Hurt from EIC - look at Charlie's reaction when Elvis hits the note, he's rooting for him all the way...
e
...................................................................................................................................................
.....I totally agree with ya Darryl Mac - See Tv Special -Aloha From Hawaii - You can see Charlie - ''eggn'' Elvis on various songs to give him the incentive to make show great
- Elvis surely did - as we all know -
And at Omaha show on June 77 you can hear Charlie sinnging on song - If You Love Me Let Me Know on backn vocals along side Elvis - He must have been at Elvis side most thru the 70's At Vegas etc giving Elvis more incemtives to do great on all shows - He is truly missed by us all -

R.I.P. Charlie Hodge - I seriously bet he is in heaven alongside Elvis still being a true friend doing his duties alongside the King .
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Don't know if he tried to do this but since he was supposedly in charge of Elvis's on stage song line up, he should have urged Elvis to add new and different songs to his show.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:37 am

eligain wrote:Don't know if he tried to do this but since he was supposedly in charge of Elvis's on stage song line up, he should have urged Elvis to add new and different songs to his show.

Charlie knew where he stood.I suppose he could have subtly suggested songs but anything above that would have been bye bye Charlie.

norrie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm

There is no way Elvis would have ever fired Charlie Hodge.

Ever.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm

never had anything against charlie. cool guy

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Ty, Charlie...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Rob wrote:There is no way Elvis would have ever fired Charlie Hodge.

Ever.

Though he did give him a slap in the gob instead.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm

No one ever said Elvis and Charlie always saw eye-to-eye (belly-button, as it were), but Charlie was very good for Elvis on stage. He was his security blanket. Elvis leaned on him for guidance, support, and to be a cheerleader when he (Elvis) needed one. Hard to put a price on that.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm

karlos wrote: R.I.P. Charlie Hodge - I seriously bet he is in heaven alongside Elvis still being a true friend doing his duties alongside the King .

Uhhh... there's only one "King" in heaven and it certainly isn't Elvis Presley.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Rob wrote:There is no way Elvis would have ever fired Charlie Hodge.

Ever.

Oh, I think everybody could get fired. Why should Charlie be closer to Elvis than Red?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Charlie was Elvis' security blanket on stage, especially in 1977 and was still with him 'til the end. Red wasn't.

Charlie's job was secure as long as Elvis was touring -- obviously.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Rob wrote:Charlie was Elvis' security blanket on stage, especially in 1977 and was still with him 'til the end. Red wasn't.

Charlie's job was secure as long as Elvis was touring -- obviously.

................................................................................................................................
Totally agree with you Rob - Charlie was certainly a security blanket on stage for Elvis - He was a friend too who stood by Elvis even when they first met in Army in 58 . All through out Elvis career Charlie was with Elvis . during movie years and 68 come back and always . R.I.P. Charlie Hodge -
Still being with Elvis in Heaven still lookn out for him - Amen-

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 pm

What other "King" is in heaven apart from Elvis?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Musically and vocally: forgettable.
As Elvis' sidekick: priceless!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Robert wrote:Musically and vocally: forgettable.
As Elvis' sidekick: priceless!

I think Elvis would have disagreed with you.

Charlie had a musical background before he met Elvis and it appears that he was reasonably proficient on both guitar and piano. Elvis, too, was happy to have him as a harmonizing vocalist.

Steve Morse

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Charlie was very faithful to Elvis. Even after Elvis' passing, Charlie always spoke kindly of Elvis. I have no reason to doubt that Charlie was a big inspiration to getting Elvis to perform in some of those later shows. For example, Charlie really did a masterful job of keeping the crowd entertained in Baltimore on May 29, 1977 when Elvis suddenly left the stage. Just a real stand-up guy. IMHO, one of the true "friends" Elvis ever had.

rlj

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 am

Blue River wrote:
karlos wrote: R.I.P. Charlie Hodge - I seriously bet he is in heaven alongside Elvis still being a true friend doing his duties alongside the King .

Indeed. God bless Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:29 am

richlives12 wrote:Charlie seems to get a bit of a rough deal from many, but you can't doubt the man loved Elvis.

Charlie Hodge was without question as devoted to Presley as anyone, but it is also a fact that his devotion led to behavior that can only be called sycophancy.

A true friend is never a sycophant.

That said, most deep fans are well aware of his excellent harmonies on tracks cut between 1960 and 1969, sizable efforts supporting Elvis' home demo work in 1966-67, preparation of material for the How Great Thou Art sessions in 1966, and essential contribution to the incendiary, small combo jams for NBC in 1968, providing much-needed fuel which allowed Elvis to sing like never before. For that example alone I am grateful they knew each other. Charlie was also a big help to Presley when he resumed concert work, providing feedback on the content of the live show, starting in 1969.

Hodge spent the better part of 19 years around Elvis, both personally and professionally. He cheered a near-inconsolable Presley, despondent over the death of his mom, as they both were shipped out to Germany in September 1958 by the U.S. Army. He was present for the birth of Lisa. On the other end of the spectrum, he was designated as the set-up guy if Paige Peterson died in Palm Springs after an ill-spent evening with Elvis in the mid-'70s. He was the little fellow who was picked on by Elvis in many '70s concerts, and actually slapped by the singer on at least one occasion.

Presley was a figure of enormous historical importance, as both a musician and an American icon, and Charlie had many experiences with the man, both good and bad, that no one else did. So it is a great shame that a truthful, insightful biography of Hodge's time was never published, and it is almost equally shameful that many fans consider 1984's Me 'n Elvis, his published hagiography, as worthwhile.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 am

so charlie was the designated doper

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Blue River wrote:

where do you think elvis is then?