Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Time Warner and Elvis On Tour

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 pm

As you guys know Time Warner owns copyrights to all of the footage shot for the documentary of Elvis On Tour. And as you also know they have never released a special edition or deluxe edition of this documentary. All we have from them is the remastered dvd released a few years ago. So what is their reason for not putting out the unreleased footage or a new version of the movie? Some would say it's money, and it could very well be. As it would cost a fortune for studio time to clean it all up and prep it for a main stream release. Then more expenses on promotions. But my theory isn't about the money. It's about Elvis' appearance in the film. When I was a child and saw it for the very first time, I though he was a God. But as I have aged and now see it as an opened eyed adult, I see he wasn't healthy looking during this period as we all thought he was. His face was bloated, not as bad as in 1977, but still noticeable. He also sounded sedated and looked pale. I believe this is why TW won't release the unseen footage in fear of the negativity feedback that would follow.

Below is a video shot during the rehearsals for the concert tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 32iFtGGwg#!

Re: Time Warner and Elvis On Tour

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Main reason is most likely that TTWII-SE released in 2001 sold badly.....at least in the US
It was aired on TCM tv channel a few months before dvd release......unfortunately.
However It did much better in the UK

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I saw it on TCM and bought the DVD anyway.

But TTWIA.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm

It's all about the money bud. Has nothing to do with his appearance. He did not look perfect but he did not look as bad as u make out.

They don't think they will make their money back. it costs a lot to do what the fans want. It's a business. And they are thinking like smart business people. You would think the same if you were running a business.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:His face was bloated, not as bad as in 1977, but still noticeable. He also sounded sedated and looked pale. I believe this is why TW won't release the unseen footage in fear of the negativity feedback that would follow.

that's nonsens. he doesn't sound sedated at all, and he's no more bloated or pale than he is in elvis on tour :roll: in fact, i think he's more pale in elvis on tour than in the clip you posted

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 pm

if they are not going to release the footage why not sell to the EPE to realease at least it better than sitting in can it wont make money there

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm

DEH wrote:It's all about the money bud. Has nothing to do with his appearance. He did not look perfect but he did not look as bad as u make out.

exactly

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 pm

He maybe not looked so good compared with That's the Way it is. But he is no bloated, he is slim and many live sequences from the movie are electrifyng. So many fans like myself are expecting a Deluxe Elvis on Tour multiple DVD with all the four concerts filmed and the rehearsals also. This can be the final Elvis experience live from the 70's so you better stop criticizing our hero for the only filmed tour of his life!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:His face was bloated, not as bad as in 1977, but still noticeable. He also sounded sedated and looked pale. I believe this is why TW won't release the unseen footage in fear of the negativity feedback that would follow.

that's nonsens. he doesn't sound sedated at all, and he's no more bloated or pale than he is in elvis on tour :roll: in fact, i think he's more pale in elvis on tour than in the clip you posted

The clip I posted is from Elvis ON Tour's outtakes.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 pm

TCK_KING wrote:Main reason is most likely that TTWII-SE released in 2001 sold badly.....at least in the US
It was aired on TCM tv channel a few months before dvd release......unfortunately.

That was 11 years ago. That excuse is old. If that were still the reason then they would have no use in it sitting in their archives gathering dust when they easily could make a profit by selling it. E.P.E. would be interested for the right price. This I know.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:He maybe not looked so good compared with That's the Way it is. But he is no bloated, he is slim and many live sequences from the movie are electrifyng. So many fans like myself are expecting a Deluxe Elvis on Tour multiple DVD with all the four concerts filmed and the rehearsals also. This can be the final Elvis experience live from the 70's so you better stop criticizing our hero for the only filmed tour of his life!

His face is bloated and is visible. That deluxe set is a pipe dream.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

The clip I posted is from Elvis ON Tour's outtakes.

where's the unreleased footage? have you seen it?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:He maybe not looked so good compared with That's the Way it is. But he is no bloated, he is slim and many live sequences from the movie are electrifyng. So many fans like myself are expecting a Deluxe Elvis on Tour multiple DVD with all the four concerts filmed and the rehearsals also. This can be the final Elvis experience live from the 70's so you better stop criticizing our hero for the only filmed tour of his life!

His face is bloated and is visible. That deluxe set is a pipe dream.

no it's not...how is it bloated?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 pm

It is all about the money, without a doubt. However, one factor may affect the other. If the redux of That's The Way It Is couldn't make money, or find an audience, then how is Elvis On Tour going to buck that trend. I saw the SE of TTWII in the cinema in the UK - and I was the only one there. Literally. Yes, TTWII SE was flawed, quite heavily flawed I would say, but considering Elvis fans would have bought the DVD anyway just to have the "new" footage, one can safely assume that there is little or no money in this kind of venture, or this kind of footage when it comes to Elvis. Some would argue that Aloha and the 68 Comeback sold very well on DVD - but these were legendary television events, where TTWII was not.

Bearing this in mind, if a healthy, slim, vibrant Elvis in TTWII can't make money, then the thinking must be that a slightly bloated, pale Elvis in EOT wouldn't stand a hope. We must also remember that EOT is a much darker film than TTWII, showing as it does a great deal of the downsides of Elvis's fame and the claustrophia he must have felt when he literally had to run from the stage to the waiting car to avoid being ripped to shreds. TTWII is about Elvis the artist, whereas EOT is much more about Elvis the man and the trappings of fame. It's a grainier film, a darker film, even a vaguely disturbing film when it comes to fan behaviour. I've been hard on it in the past, but actually liked it more than I thought when I rewatched it recently. But, it's not necessarily a film that appeals to people outside the fandom anymore than TTWII does in todays market.

We need to put all of this in perspective. With Warner, Sony and now Universal using burn on demand DVDs for their back catalogue more and more, we are extremely lucky to have Presley's films on factory made silver discs. The fact that many better, more highly regarded films are only being produced through archive series seems almost ludicrous when you can go into a store and buy a copy of Clambake but not Gaslight.

And yes, restoring film and going through archives of dismissed material costs a fortune. Warner are committed to restoring and transferring all of the films in their vaults over the coming years. They have pledged to release either on factory discs or through burn on demand DVDs every single title in their vaults over the next decade. This is something that no other studio has come anywhere close to promising. And this isn't a new thing. Warner/Turner have been looking after their films better than any other major studio for at least three decades now, and they should be applauded for doing so.

The fact that EOT is towards the middle or low end of their list when it comes to preparing and releasing extra materials is unfortunate but something we are going to have to live with. 5000 fans buying a Blu-ray boxed set of EOT material isn't going to come close to paying for the work that would have to go into preparing that material. Warner has its heart in the right place with regards to film preservation, but in the current climate it simply cannot afford to invest money in projects such as this which are, for want of a better term, appealing only to the wet dreams of diehard fans.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
TCK_KING wrote:Main reason is most likely that TTWII-SE released in 2001 sold badly.....at least in the US

That was 11 years ago. That excuse is old. If that were still the reason then they would have no use in it sitting in their archives gathering dust when they easily could make a profit by selling it. E.P.E. would be interested for the right price. This I know.

Yes its 11 years ago.....its not that Elvis will sell more and more as the years go by.......but the oposite.
I cant see that a OT-SE release will do well when the superior TTWII failed.
I would rather have TTWII-SE on blu-ray than a new version of OT........as others has said....he doesnt look good in that movie.
Movie companies just dont sell their movies/archive footage.......I was little surprised when EPE was able to buy the tv specials from the tv company but that wont happen with TTWII/OT.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:26 pm

TCK_KING wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:

Yes its 11 years ago.....its not that Elvis will sell more and more as the years go by.......but the oposite.
I cant see that a OT-SE release will do well when the superior TTWII failed.
I would rather have TTWII-SE on blu-ray than a new version of OT........as others has said....he doesnt look good in that movie.
Movie companies just dont sell their movies/archive footage.......I was little surprised when EPE was able to buy the tv specials from the tv company but that wont happen with TTWII/OT.

Are you kidding? He sells way more today than he did in 2001.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It is all about the money, without a doubt. However, one factor may affect the other. If the redux of That's The Way It Is couldn't make money, or find an audience, then how is Elvis On Tour going to buck that trend. I saw the SE of TTWII in the cinema in the UK - and I was the only one there. Literally. Yes, TTWII SE was flawed, quite heavily flawed I would say, but considering Elvis fans would have bought the DVD anyway just to have the "new" footage, one can safely assume that there is little or no money in this kind of venture, or this kind of footage when it comes to Elvis. Some would argue that Aloha and the 68 Comeback sold very well on DVD - but these were legendary television events, where TTWII was not.

Bearing this in mind, if a healthy, slim, vibrant Elvis in TTWII can't make money, then the thinking must be that a slightly bloated, pale Elvis in EOT wouldn't stand a hope. We must also remember that EOT is a much darker film than TTWII, showing as it does a great deal of the downsides of Elvis's fame and the claustrophia he must have felt when he literally had to run from the stage to the waiting car to avoid being ripped to shreds. TTWII is about Elvis the artist, whereas EOT is much more about Elvis the man and the trappings of fame. It's a grainier film, a darker film, even a vaguely disturbing film when it comes to fan behaviour. I've been hard on it in the past, but actually liked it more than I thought when I rewatched it recently. But, it's not necessarily a film that appeals to people outside the fandom anymore than TTWII does in todays market.

We need to put all of this in perspective. With Warner, Sony and now Universal using burn on demand DVDs for their back catalogue more and more, we are extremely lucky to have Presley's films on factory made silver discs. The fact that many better, more highly regarded films are only being produced through archive series seems almost ludicrous when you can go into a store and buy a copy of Clambake but not Gaslight.

And yes, restoring film and going through archives of dismissed material costs a fortune. Warner are committed to restoring and transferring all of the films in their vaults over the coming years. They have pledged to release either on factory discs or through burn on demand DVDs every single title in their vaults over the next decade. This is something that no other studio has come anywhere close to promising. And this isn't a new thing. Warner/Turner have been looking after their films better than any other major studio for at least three decades now, and they should be applauded for doing so.

The fact that EOT is towards the middle or low end of their list when it comes to preparing and releasing extra materials is unfortunate but something we are going to have to live with. 5000 fans buying a Blu-ray boxed set of EOT material isn't going to come close to paying for the work that would have to go into preparing that material. Warner has its heart in the right place with regards to film preservation, but in the current climate it simply cannot afford to invest money in projects such as this which are, for want of a better term, appealing only to the wet dreams of diehard fans.

Elvis' appeal globally has significantly grown since 2001. His fanbase is getting younger, not older. Which is normally not the case for a dead celebrity as time passes. I'm willing to bet that if TTWII Special Edition came out today to theaters it would draw an impressive crowd. Just as Elvis On Tour did here in the states a few years ago.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It is all about the money, without a doubt. However, one factor may affect the other. If the redux of That's The Way It Is couldn't make money, or find an audience, then how is Elvis On Tour going to buck that trend. I saw the SE of TTWII in the cinema in the UK - and I was the only one there. Literally. Yes, TTWII SE was flawed, quite heavily flawed I would say, but considering Elvis fans would have bought the DVD anyway just to have the "new" footage, one can safely assume that there is little or no money in this kind of venture, or this kind of footage when it comes to Elvis. Some would argue that Aloha and the 68 Comeback sold very well on DVD - but these were legendary television events, where TTWII was not.

Elvis' appeal globally has significantly grown since 2001. His fanbase is getting younger, not older. Which is normally not the case for a dead celebrity as time passes. I'm willing to bet that if TTWII Special Edition came out today to theaters it would draw an impressive crowd. Just as Elvis On Tour did here in the states a few years ago.

I'm sorry, my friend, I think you are deluded. And even if what you are saying is true (and I don't think it is), a company can only go by previous results, meaning the time, effort and money would still not be invested. If Elvis On Tour drew an impressive crowd at the cinema, it was no doubt made up of Elvis fans and, had it been shown on more screens over a longer period of time, the numbers over that period would have probably not added up to much more than those one-off screenings.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 pm

they should get martin scorsese to recut the movie. if im not mistaken he worked on the original movie as an assistant and is an elvis fan. this would make it not just an elvis movie being rereleased but a scorsese movie too which would generate an interest in itself

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:

You are living in a fantasy world I`m afraid.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 am

voldto wrote:they should get martin scorsese to recut the movie. if im not mistaken he worked on the original movie as an assistant and is an elvis fan. this would make it not just an elvis movie being rereleased but a scorsese movie too which would generate an interest in itself

It wouldn't be a Scorsese movie, it would simply be him re-editing someone elses footage.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am

I spoke to a friend of mine about this today. He works at a Swedish Television company. I asked him why the market is flooded with DVDs with 1960´s material from artists like the Who when there is nothing coming out of the Elvis stuff in the vaults. He told me that it´s extremely expensive to work with footage on fim compared to footage on videotape. TTWII and EOT were shot with many film cameras which is not the case for a lot of the stuff that has been released with other artist during the last years. My friend is of the opinion that TTWII SE is probably the best concert film ever if you talk picture quality. He also said that to make ONE minute of film would cost more than the whole restoration of Aloha (which was videorecorded).

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:13 am

samses wrote:I spoke to a friend of mine about this today. He works at a Swedish Television company. I asked him why the market is flooded with DVDs with 1960´s material from artists like the Who when there is nothing coming out of the Elvis stuff in the vaults. He told me that it´s extremely expensive to work with footage on fim compared to footage on videotape. TTWII and EOT were shot with many film cameras which is not the case for a lot of the stuff that has been released with other artist during the last years. My friend is of the opinion that TTWII SE is probably the best concert film ever if you talk picture quality. He also said that to make ONE minute of film would cost more than the whole restoration of Aloha (which was videorecorded).

Money should not be an issue. Warner is raking in video sales revenue by the boatload. Personally, I think it's the lackluster attitude of the ignoramus heads at Warner who simply are not Elvis fans to begin with. If there's a will, there's always a way, IMHO.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:20 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
samses wrote:I spoke to a friend of mine about this today. He works at a Swedish Television company. I asked him why the market is flooded with DVDs with 1960´s material from artists like the Who when there is nothing coming out of the Elvis stuff in the vaults. He told me that it´s extremely expensive to work with footage on fim compared to footage on videotape. TTWII and EOT were shot with many film cameras which is not the case for a lot of the stuff that has been released with other artist during the last years. My friend is of the opinion that TTWII SE is probably the best concert film ever if you talk picture quality. He also said that to make ONE minute of film would cost more than the whole restoration of Aloha (which was videorecorded).

Money should not be an issue. Warner is raking in video sales revenue by the boatload. Personally, I think it's the lackluster attitude of the ignoramus heads at Warner who simply are not Elvis fans to begin with.

i doubt it has anything to do with who they are fan of. if they based their releases on that, they shouldn't have permission to release anything

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 am

I find it strange EPE haven't made a bid for it who knows they may of

But did all the outtakes survive maybe they are missing ?

If Michael Jacksons management can't find the master tapes from Wembley 1988 Then Elvis On Tour outtakes maybe lost.

The thing is they keep is so hush hush as they don't want the fans to know anything they think we are stupid :)