Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: EOT Macon 4-15-72

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Tony - you're missing the point.

The well known Star montage of CC Rider shows footage from both San Antonio AND Detroit. All the footage from the side of the stage, clearly showing the band in blue, is from Detroit. The footage from the front is from San Antonio.

The first clip shown in this thread, featuring CC Rider / Proud Mary is 100% Detroit, no San Antonio as the band remain in blue throughout.

The footage from the red dressing room is Macon. He can be heard in the out takes discussing how they goofed up Burning Love at Greensboro the day before, which happened AFTER the San Antonio show, so it can't be San Antonio.
Last edited by DarrylMac on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:50 pm

robbie wrote:
steevefry wrote::!:

the backstage pic is not San Antonio but Macon April 15. 8:30 pm look at his hair partly covers his forehead but not on San Antonio

Yes you have right for this !! ::rocks

.... but the first clip is Detroit all the time !!

In the clip posted by Johnny, it's :
Macon, Detroit, Macon, San Antonio ...... :smt003

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm

steve in SC wrote:
steevefry wrote:
steve in SC wrote:Well. I was at the afternoon show in Macon and I believe it was indeed the Red Lion suit but it's been a long time and the only thing I am sure of is it was white, LOL!! One thing that makes me think this was Macon is the position of the spotlights. Macon was not high at all especially in the back of the arena and these spotlights are low. I believe spotlights in both SA and Detroit would be much higher(bigger arenas).This film was from EOT so if it was Detroit or Macon doesn't this give us reason to believe more on stage footage was shot from other other locations than originally thought. Who really knows waht is in those cans?

From Macon - afternoon :

No balcony in Macon Coliseum ? you confirm ?

I do not remember a balcony in Macon. There is a crowd shot in EOT that confirms this I believe.

Found this current pic:
http://www.maconcentreplex.com/coliseum.html

Thank you

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm

In the clip posted by Johnny, it's :
Macon, Detroit, Macon, San Antonio

Almost - it's more complex than that. When you see him enter the stage through a red curtain,at 2.15, that's Detroit, and you can see him walk behind the band, again in blue. Then, only at 3.03 do we go to San Antonio. (band back in black).

The whole movie was shot like this. Watch Polk Salad Annie in the orginal movie. The close up of the sweets doing their chicaboom part wasn't Hampton Roads, it was Greensboro! Look again, watch for a clip of the owl suit arm in one of the triples.

When Elvis does his cape exit after Burning Love in EOT, again, we can see him in the final shots leave back through the curtain - we're back in Detroit.

You'd be staggered how much footage there is from various stops in the orginal movie, never mind the outtakes!

I don't know how to share a link within my post, but if you do a search on an old thread entitled Now The Stage Is Low, there's a wealth of info there...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

It's Detroit also at 1:20

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 pm

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35910&hilit=knoxville

Let's see if this works...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm

DarrylMac wrote:The footage from the red dressing room is Macon. He can be heard in the out takes discussing how they goofed up Burning Love at Greensboro the day before, which happened AFTER the San Antonio show, so it can't be San Antonio.

I can't hear them say anything about "Greensboro" or "the day before" during that clip... and just to clarify...

Detroit show April 6, 1972
Greensboro show April 14, 1972
Macon shows 2:30pm and 8:30pm April 15, 1972
San Antonio show April 18, 1972

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:23 pm

I apologise - San Antonio is the 18th, my bad - it's been a long day already! :)

Having said that, the red room isn't San Antonio, it's Macon. His hair is totally different in this footage to how it was in San Antonio.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm

DarrylMac wrote:He can be heard in the out takes discussing how they goofed up Burning Love at Greensboro the day before, which happened AFTER the San Antonio show, so it can't be San Antonio.

Do you have your dates mixed up?

I know he talks about Burning Love, but I never heard anything about the "day before." I always assumed that was the case though since the backstage footage comes from Macon.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm

I just saw your latest post, DarrylMac.

The red room is definitely Macon. Someone here on this board has actually been in that room. Can't remember at the moment who it was. Hopefully they will identify themselves.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:54 pm

One can only imagine how much unreleased footage Turner must have in the can for this movie.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 pm

OnTourCam wrote:forget my comment lol

fatigue :mrgreen:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

mmmm let me check :smt003

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 am

It is sad to think that the officially unreleased MGM footage from 1972 will likely never be professionally restored, the audio professionally remixed, and the entire thing made available to the fans, because the people who own it do not believe all this work will turn a profit.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is sad to think that the officially unreleased MGM footage from 1972 will likely never be professionally restored, the audio professionally remixed, and the entire thing made available to the fans, because the people who own it do not believe all this work will turn a profit.

just curious if this is your belief as well (no profit) and if not, what would you propose in this day and age for the mainstream market so that this investment pays dividends when released, just curious!!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 am

sweetangeline wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is sad to think that the officially unreleased MGM footage from 1972 will likely never be professionally restored, the audio professionally remixed, and the entire thing made available to the fans, because the people who own it do not believe all this work will turn a profit.

just curious if this is your belief as well (no profit) and if not, what would you propose in this day and age for the mainstream market so that this investment pays dividends when released, just curious!!

About the only thing Time Warner could do to make a profit on the EOT footage would be to sell it to the estate... but I seriously doubt EPE would be interested in what they would ask for it.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

lets not get upset

lets watch the sales of the Garden shows

Hopefully it will sell bloody heaps

then they might decide to release a complete gig fully uncut from start to finish using multi track recordings and remastered video.

Just a question on the aspect would you blow it up like lost performances or would you have black bars ?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 am

Just a question on the aspect would you blow it up like lost performances or would you have black bars ?

Definitely the latter - most people these days have widescreen TV's, unlike when Lost Performances was released - it'd look amazing in Blu Ray in widescreen format.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm

this might sound dumb but it was shot in widescreen wasn't it ?

i think all the roving cameraman shot it on 4/3 aspect is this correct ?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:08 am

reason i asked is if you look at the blu ray of Elvis On Tour

Every time the camera changes to mobile you get the picture change aspect.

It seems the concerts were filmed with a mix of 16/9 aspect and 4/3 which would make editing interesting