Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:46 pm

I like it too :)
+ i like:

*Great Balls Of Fire (from the Great Balls Of Fire Movie soundtrack and Stardate With Jerry Lee Lewis)
*Boogie Woogie Country Man (the live versions are great)
*Middle Age Crazy
*I'm on fire
*Wild One
*Only You (nice cover - JLL sings it amazing)
*Money (the live version from Hamburg concert 1980 - ROCKS)
*Haunted House
*Revolutionary man
*I Don't Want To Be Lonely Tonight (i love this song)
*Don't Boogie Woogie When You Say Your Prayers Tonight (this tune is awesome)
*No Headstone On My Grave
*Crawdad Song
*Sea Cruise (from London Sessions)
*Drinking Wine Spo-Dee O'Dee (from London Sessions)
*Just A Little Bit

I listen to His other songs too but these are my favourite :)
Patrick

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone know why this was moved to Off Topic?

That's my fault i created this topic in "Off Topic" section... :oops:
Sorry :)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:28 pm

fussioman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone know why this was moved to Off Topic?

That's my fault i created this topic in "Off Topic" section... :oops:
Sorry :)

I'll request a move to "All Elvis" for ya.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

Jerry Lee is a fantastic artist, in my top five for sure. He's funny in that sometimes he comes off as very polite about Elvis, other times as envious. I have been told over the years that despite his comments at times he actually does like Elvis' music a lot. He talks a lot about Elvis in his book Killer.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:34 am

Come on Blue River ! You had to go and choose two of his worst performances ever didn't you! :roll:

Hey Blue River you ain't nothing but a Hound Dog crying all the time :lol: ...

phpBB [video]

and how about these !

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

fffuck yeah !!! 8) 8) 8)

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Doc are you saying the Killer is lying :?: I dare you to say that to his face! He will whoop your arse er ass! :smt005

Jerry's bark may have been worse than his bite.My moneys on the Doc.(ignoring JLL age of course!)

from a previous topic.......
It all started when Scotty did a two week tour with Jerry and on the last night Jerry got drunk and
started preaching to Scotty,the fire and brimstone crap,and he wouldn't shut up and they nearly
came to blows.Scotty couldn't stand him after that.(1956)
Years later (1975) Scotty met Jerry at a convention and were talking about the past when Jerry
decided to tell Scotty he wasn't a good enough guitar player to play in his band.chairs and fists went
flying and Scotty was beating the sh*t out of Jerry (according to DJ Fontana) so you might understand why Scotty doesn't want to pay tribute to Jerry.

norrie

source That's Alright Elvis by Scotty Moore as told to James Dickerson

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 am

norrie wrote:
ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Doc are you saying the Killer is lying :?: I dare you to say that to his face! He will whoop your arse er ass! :smt005

Jerry's bark may have been worse than his bite.My moneys on the Doc.(ignoring JLL age of course!)

It all started when Scotty did a two week tour with Jerry and on the last night Jerry got drunk and
started preaching to Scotty,the fire and brimstone crap,and he wouldn't shut up and they nearly
Years later (1975) Scotty met Jerry at a convention and were talking about the past when Jerry
decided to tell Scotty he wasn't a good enough guitar player to play in his band.chairs and fists went
flying and Scotty was beating the sh*t out of Jerry (according to DJ Fontana) so you might understand why Scotty doesn't want to pay tribute to Jerry.

norrie

I think you are talking out of your backside. :smt006
Last edited by ElvisLive3August1969 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 am

Well, that's the class JLL had then. Why say that to Scotty, even if you think it's true? Totally rude!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:
norrie wrote:

norrie

I think you are talking out of your backside. :smt006

About what ~Scotty kicking JLL's ass or the Doc.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 am

Your whole post was full of bull-shit!!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Your whole post was full of bull-shit!!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:23 am

I seem to recall back in the late 80s - early 90s, Jerry Lee appeared on Arsenio Hall's late night television program (I want to say around the release of the movie "Great Balls Of Fire") and he was asked about the November, 1976 incident and he flat out denied the incident ever took place, dispite the mug shot photos and the newspaper reports to the contrary.

Daryl

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Interesting about Scotty and Jerry Lee -- from October 1960 thru Jerry Lee's final Sun session in August 1963, Scotty is credited on guitar on a number of sessions. He is also listed as producer on several. He is playing guitar on "Good Golly Miss Molly", an outstanding but kinda lost Jerry Lee single. So they must have had a love/hate relationship.

http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/ ... art-i.html

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Yeah Scotty was on some of Jerry Lee's excellent early sixties sides. I wonder how they got along then?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Yeah Scotty was on some of Jerry Lee's excellent early sixties sides. I wonder how they got along then?

Scotty also produced some of 'em.

A few years ago someone posted a snippet of Elvis introducing the killer in Vegas in '69 and doing a one-liner of "Whole lotta shakin'...". Unfortunately I could never open that. Could somebody upload a mp3 of that short part?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'll request a move to "All Elvis" for ya.

Thanks Doc ;)

Wow, i'm happy that this topic is alive :)

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Another Elvis fan once told me that Jerry Schilling had a management company in the 1980s and Jerry Lee Lewis was one of his clients during that time.

According to what this fan told me Jerry Lee said some mean things about Elvis which led to Jerry Schilling dropping him as a client.

Does anyone know if that is true?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Vintage Rock.
Front and Back Cover.
DSCN3752.JPG

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:06 pm

EP
DSCN3754.JPG

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I really like JLL, I have dvd's and cd's by the guy and his music really rocks !! I've seen him in concert live several times. But, he has a BIG ego and he promotes himself with it. You will find that Elvis' stature within the music field was always a dent in JLL's ego and he is intimidated by it. So, whenever he can get a "oneup" on Elvis, he does i.e. "I was the first one inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame, I was the first to have a harley davidson special edition motorcycle, Elvis had the second one."
The truth is JLL knows in his heart that the fame and plaudits given to Elvis throughout the world were in a different league and would not apply to him.
It appears Elvis' name attracted everyone who was connected with the music industry and to have this connected with their own names somehow elevated their importance. Having said that JLL is a great entertainer and I will still buy material produced by him.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Doc's post covers it regarding the 1976 incident. It's been talked about in a few publications (maybe Careless Love for one). My impression is Jerry likes to think of himself as the King of Rock n' Roll, but cannot quite convince the rest of the world.

He did make a big impact in '57 - 58, but we all know what became his downfall... Many said if the scandal had not of happened, Jerry would have been bigger than Elvis. Maybe so while Elvis was in the service, but once Elvis came back to the states...I don't think so. Jerry had a gimmick with the vocalist/piano thing, but after a few tunes a lot of those runs and scales are quite cumbersome. Elvis had the whole package and Jerry knew it.

If you listen to the Million Dollar Quartet session, Jerry is a talker and it probably got on Elvis' nerves a little bit as you can hear no response from Elvis on a lot of the comments Jerry made.

I think another book, Revelations from the Memphis Mafia, stated that some of the guys went on about how good of a piano player Jerry was after the 1957 Graceland visit and Elvis replied "if you like 'em so damn much, why don't y'all go work for him."

I did see an interview in the '80s where Jerry was asked what he thought the greatest rock n' roll song ever recorded was and he replied "Don't Be Cruel. That's the greatest rock n' roll tune ever recorded. When you're good...you're good. And he was good." I thought that was cool of Jerry, because usually he came off as bitter toward Elvis' stardom and impact.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:21 pm

I've had the opportunity to meet Jerry Lee many times in the 80s and 90s and when talking about Elvis a couple of times, Jerry had nothing but praise for him. He also told me that Elvis came to visit him the day after the Graceland incident in 1976 but Jerry wasn't home to meet him. They never had a chance to meet again before Elvis died.
One of Jerry's close friends related to me that Elvis flew Jerry out to Vegas to see his show in August 1969 and wanted an honest appraisal of the performance rather than usual praise that he got from people around him. This friend said that Jerry told Elvis that the show and his performance was 'dynamite'. Jerry said to this friend that he was ready to criticize if necessary but found Elvis to be a great performer, better than he had ever seen him before and that he really enjoyed the show(s).
There is no doubt that Jerry has had many problems with alcohol and drugs (especially in the 70s) and that he showed up drunk at Graceland that night in 1976 after a late night at his favourite hangout at the time, Hernando's Hideway (down the street from Graceland). I wasn't there but knowing Jerry, I do believe that he didn't have any intentions of harming Elvis or anyone else.
Jerry told me once that he has no regrets in whatever he has done in his life. Reality is different though. There was only one time back in 1997 where Jerry was in a bad mood and said a few things to me that were quite upsetting. As a result, I did not attend any performances after that for awhile. When I did return again, he was almost too nice to me and appeared very happy to see me back. Although the Killer never apologizes, I sincerely think he regretted the way he treated me before. I'm sure he has regrets about that night in 1976 at Elvis' gates as well.
The one thing that people have to understand about Jerry is that he is a very confident individual that believes in his talent and abilities (and he will tell you this to your face!). Some see this as a big ego but I see it as a drive to succeed. He is happy to be the centre of attention in a room and as I have seen many times, is ready to carry a conversation with people in most situations (unless the press is around at which time he will be very quiet because he does not trust most newpaper/tv reporters based on past experiences) There have never been any of those 'awkward silences' when I've met Jerry and for me personally, I've only had the one bad experience with him which he made up for the next time we met. The first time I met Jerry in 1987, there were about 20 people backstage. Jerry saw me as the 'new' face in the room and after some small talk, he called me over to sit next to him and we talked for over an hour before his concert. I felt like the most important person in that room even though I was meeting everyone for the first time. Other fans I've talked to have told me the same kind of story. There was a time back in the late 80s where some fans gathered in a hotel after one of Jerry's show and were just talking to each other. Jerry happened to come down and saw them all there and joined in the conversation and then went on to sing and play at the hotel piano for over an hour for these few fans (a tape recording of this evening is in collector hands). But I digress...back to the topic.
I know that Jerry regarded Elvis as a friend based on my discussions with him and that of his friends though I don't expect that they met that often over the years. Jerry Schilling was managing Jerry Lee for a short time in the late 80s and he told me that Elvis regarded Jerry as a friend and super talent (of course Jerry Schilling only says nice things in general so that could be open to debate). One other fact I can lay on you is that Jerry thought Elvis could have done better without Parker and told him so back in 1969 while Parker was in the room.
Just my perspective.
Lucio

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Nice post Lucio. Thanks for giving us your insider's opinions on JLL. You had two people with enlarged egos when Elvis and JLL were in the same room. I'm sure there were clashes but there was respect too.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:37 am

lucio wrote:I've had the opportunity to meet Jerry Lee many times in the 80s and 90s and when talking about Elvis a couple of times, Jerry had nothing but praise for him. He also told me that Elvis came to visit him the day after the Graceland incident in 1976 but Jerry wasn't home to meet him. They never had a chance to meet again before Elvis died.
One of Jerry's close friends related to me that Elvis flew Jerry out to Vegas to see his show in August 1969 and wanted an honest appraisal of the performance rather than usual praise that he got from people around him. This friend said that Jerry told Elvis that the show and his performance was 'dynamite'. Jerry said to this friend that he was ready to criticize if necessary but found Elvis to be a great performer, better than he had ever seen him before and that he really enjoyed the show(s).
There is no doubt that Jerry has had many problems with alcohol and drugs (especially in the 70s) and that he showed up drunk at Graceland that night in 1976 after a late night at his favourite hangout at the time, Hernando's Hideway (down the street from Graceland). I wasn't there but knowing Jerry, I do believe that he didn't have any intentions of harming Elvis or anyone else.
Jerry told me once that he has no regrets in whatever he has done in his life. Reality is different though. There was only one time back in 1997 where Jerry was in a bad mood and said a few things to me that were quite upsetting. As a result, I did not attend any performances after that for awhile. When I did return again, he was almost too nice to me and appeared very happy to see me back. Although the Killer never apologizes, I sincerely think he regretted the way he treated me before. I'm sure he has regrets about that night in 1976 at Elvis' gates as well.
The one thing that people have to understand about Jerry is that he is a very confident individual that believes in his talent and abilities (and he will tell you this to your face!). Some see this as a big ego but I see it as a drive to succeed. He is happy to be the centre of attention in a room and as I have seen many times, is ready to carry a conversation with people in most situations (unless the press is around at which time he will be very quiet because he does not trust most newpaper/tv reporters based on past experiences) There have never been any of those 'awkward silences' when I've met Jerry and for me personally, I've only had the one bad experience with him which he made up for the next time we met. The first time I met Jerry in 1987, there were about 20 people backstage. Jerry saw me as the 'new' face in the room and after some small talk, he called me over to sit next to him and we talked for over an hour before his concert. I felt like the most important person in that room even though I was meeting everyone for the first time. Other fans I've talked to have told me the same kind of story. There was a time back in the late 80s where some fans gathered in a hotel after one of Jerry's show and were just talking to each other. Jerry happened to come down and saw them all there and joined in the conversation and then went on to sing and play at the hotel piano for over an hour for these few fans (a tape recording of this evening is in collector hands). But I digress...back to the topic.
I know that Jerry regarded Elvis as a friend based on my discussions with him and that of his friends though I don't expect that they met that often over the years. Jerry Schilling was managing Jerry Lee for a short time in the late 80s and he told me that Elvis regarded Jerry as a friend and super talent (of course Jerry Schilling only says nice things in general so that could be open to debate). One other fact I can lay on you is that Jerry thought Elvis could have done better without Parker and told him so back in 1969 while Parker was in the room.
Just my perspective.
Lucio

Jerry is Jerry. Trust the art, not the artist is the maxim to follow.

Oh, and Elvis began a tour in Reno, NV on November 24, 1976 and very likely did not come to visit Jerry after he was released by the Memphis Police.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
lucio wrote:I've had the opportunity to meet Jerry Lee many times in the 80s and 90s and when talking about Elvis a couple of times, Jerry had nothing but praise for him. He also told me that Elvis came to visit him the day after the Graceland incident in 1976 but Jerry wasn't home to meet him. They never had a chance to meet again before Elvis died.
Just my perspective.
Lucio

Jerry is Jerry. Trust the art, not the artist is the maxim to follow.

Oh, and Elvis began a tour in Reno, NV on November 24, 1976 and very likely did not come to visit Jerry after he was released by the Memphis Police.
But you're not certain of that so maybe he did visit Jerry Lee ! :roll: