Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Dee and Her Boys --> Loved Him Tender?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 am

I found this photo online today, taken at the Presley Graceland wedding reception on May 29, 1967. Is it a known image?

791017_Allentown Morning Call.JPG
(NY 40-Oct. 16) -- DESCRIBES ELVIS' USE OF DRUGS -- Elvis Presley stands with his three stepbrothers, from left, Billy, Ricky and David Stanley, at the star's 1967 wedding reception. the three stepbrothers and their mother, Dee Presley, revealed that the three times Presley was hospitalized between 1973 and 1975 were "to dry out from drugs." The disclosure was made in copyrighted pre-publication excerpts from their biography of Presley -- "Elvis: We Love You Tender." The excerpts and the above photo appear in the November issue of Ladies' Home Journal. (AP Laserphoto)
Allentown Morning Call, Wednesday, October 17, 1979

It ran nationally in October 1979 as part of coverage of Elvis: We Love You Tender, the Stanley's tell-all book, as told to journalist Martin Torgoff. Here's an example of the news coverage:

791017_Miami News p3A.JPG
Miami News, Wednesday, October 17, 1979

The book could have been better. Even Torgoff would later write of the pitfalls of collaborating with Dee Stanley and her three sons. His prose is the only thing that makes it worth reading.

And Albert Goldman's vile Elvis was soon to follow, in 1981. Bad times!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dee and Her Boys --> Loved Him Tender?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:21 am

Yes, bad times indeed. I don't recall seeing the photo before, but it could easily be in some of David Stanley's exploitative books. Dee was just a gold-digger who wanted to write something to make money. David continues to exploit Elvis name and image. I actually didn't mind Billy's book "Elvis My Brother" and found Rick's book "Caught In A Trap" to be quite insightful.

Generally I don't have a good view of the Stanleys. David and Dee are/were a waste of the Earth's resources.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I found this photo online today, taken at the Presley wedding reception on May 1, 1967. Is it a known image?

Yes, I know this image. It was actually taken at the Graceland wedding reception, not at the Aladdin Hotel on May 1st.
Despite the title “Elvis; We Love You Tender” I recall thinking this was a vile book, your correct though we didn’t know how bad it would get just 2 years later with the publication of “Elvis” which caused massive damage to Elvis’ legacy.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:15 am

The image was one of several taken by Gary Pepper's mother at the Graceland reception. It appeared in the September 1967 issue of Elvis Monthly, alongside Gary's article about the event. I don't know whether he had the photo published anywhere else at the time.

It's cropped in the Elvis Monthly.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks for the additional information on the photo; I've updated my post.

Here's a bit of Super8 footage from that day.

phpBB [video]

Presley Wedding Reception, Monday, May 29, 1967
Held at Graceland in Memphis for family and friends who could not be at the May 1 nuptials in Las Vegas.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I found this photo online today, taken at the Presley Graceland wedding reception on May 29, 1967. Is it a known image?

(NY 40-Oct. 16) -- DESCRIBES ELVIS' USE OF DRUGS -- Elvis Presley stands with his three stepbrothers, from left, Billy, Ricky and David Stanley, at the star's 1967 wedding reception. the three stepbrothers and their mother, Dee Presley, revealed that the three times Presley was hospitalized between 1973 and 1975 were "to dry out from drugs." The disclosure was made in copyrighted pre-publication excerpts from their biography of Presley -- "Elvis: We Love You Tender." The excerpts and the above photo appear in the November issue of Ladies' Home Journal. (AP Laserphoto)

It ran nationally in October 1979 as part of coverage of Elvis: We Love You Tender, the Stanley's tell-all book, as told to journalist Martin Torgoff. Here's an example of the news coverage:

The book could have been better. Even Torgoff would later write of the pitfalls of collaborating with Dee Stanley and her three sons. His prose is the only thing that makes it worth reading.

Torgoff was one of the better writers on Elvis used by any of the (so called) insiders. He actually liked Elvis' music and had respect for the man. If he had written What Happened I am sure it would have been a much better book. You can trust little of what the Stanley's say, but at least Martin tried to give Elvis a degree of understanding.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 am

Mike Eder wrote:Torgoff was one of the better writers on Elvis used by any of the (so called) insiders. He actually liked Elvis' music and had respect for the man. If he had written What Happened I am sure it would have been a much better book. You can trust little of what the Stanley's say, but at least Martin tried to give Elvis a degree of understanding.

Torgoff also edited The Complete Elvis, which included his excellent essay on the Stanley book endeavor.

820000_The Complete Elvis_Deliah Books.JPG
Martin Torgoff, (Ed.), The Complete Elvis (New York: Delilah Books, 1982)

He's moved on to work in TV and film:

Martin Torgoff
http://www.martintorgoff.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 am

Yeah he put together a good book there. Fine articles and the one he wrote is a favorite.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 am

What did he say about working with the Stanley's?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Yep, the photo can be found in Elvis, We Love You Tender. And like a previous poster said, its not a very flattering book. I walked away feeling that the Stanley boys are full of sh*t. There is some 8mm footage of Elvis playing around strangling one of the boys at the Graceland reception.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 pm

jparsons1969 wrote:Yep, the photo can be found in Elvis, We Love You Tender. And like a previous poster said, its not a very flattering book. I walked away feeling that the Stanley boys are full of sh*t. There is some 8mm footage of Elvis playing around strangling one of the boys at the Graceland reception.

Really?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73285#p1098656

;-)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Interesting just reading this topic today.
There was a movie on 'True Movies 1' last night called 'Protecting The King'. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780530/).

I haven't watched it yet, but I don't have very high expectations.. :(

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm

To be fair to the Stanleys, Torgoff complained in a later interview that many of the positive stories the Stanleys gave him were edited out at the behest of the publishers because they were looking for sensation.

Torgoff, himself, was definitely a good writer and had a real respect for Elvis' artistry.

It's been forever since I read the book, the value I pulled out of it was the brief insights into later Elvis' musical tastes, limits and curiosity. I appreciated the little stories about his appreciation for certain types of guitars, the potential of a remake of "The Long and Winding Road." That sort of thing.

30 years down the road, I think the biggest flaw was the exaggeration of the Stanley Brothers closeness to Elvis. They made it seem in the book as if they were next to Red and Charlie Hodge, and by all accounts their relationship with Elvis was much more distant than that.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I found this photo online today, taken at the Presley Graceland wedding reception on May 29, 1967. Is it a known image?

Cool post thanks!!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Thank you, Doc. I didn't see this topic before. They had a lotta nerve with that title, looking back! :lol:

But I didn't ever think about the "as told to" guy: that he was the very same writer who put together the wonderful "The Complete Elvis," one of my all-time faves, that I still read from time to time. Small world. ;)

It's real late, so signing off . . .

Thanks again for the pic, and the "memories." It may have been a bad time, but an important time if you were a fan, then.

rjm

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:08 pm

I met Billy Stanley and talked to him at some length in Memphis in august 87,he was a weird little man full of his own self importance,and he loved to spin a yarn about Elvis.he talked to me for more than an hour as i had a video camera and asked him for an interview.He thought we were from uk tv

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 pm

"Elvis-we love you tender" just the title makes me sick!! :smt078

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Thank you, Doc, I never saw this picture before.