Off Topic Messages

Re: Member vs. Member "Loser Leaves The Forum" Election Matc

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:14 am

carolynlm wrote:Ths forum is made up of more than just American citizens you know.......I thought politics had to be kept out of things.
The other members do not carry on this much when there is an election in other countries.......believe it or not, but the world doesn't revolve around America.

Since I'm the only Argentinean on the forum, when election day comes I will be forced to play with myself.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 am

javilu wrote:
carolynlm wrote:Ths forum is made up of more than just American citizens you know.......I thought politics had to be kept out of things.
The other members do not carry on this much when there is an election in other countries.......believe it or not, but the world doesn't revolve around America.

Since I'm the only Argentinean on the forum, when election day comes I will be forced to play with myself.

no one really posts about politics from other countries than usa
Last edited by Elvisgirl on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 am

rjm wrote:I call out Blue River
Obama wins, you're out for four weeks....

Meanwhile, this is cool!

phpBB [video]

rjm, there's nothing "cool" about that. I call you out to remove that racist YouTube clip. I'm so offended!
Please don't make me run to the moderators like a whining, insecure adolescent.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 am

dannyboy1 wrote:I call out MB280E.
I call the winner Romney.

Terms: Loser leaves the forum for 4 weeks.

Although 4 weeks will be a very short time to be free from his disturbing religious bigotry.

dannyboy1, I must say that I really admire you! 8)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:15 am

Blue River wrote:
rjm wrote:I call out Blue River
Obama wins, you're out for four weeks....

Meanwhile, this is cool!

phpBB [video]

rjm, there's nothing "cool" about that. I call you out to remove that racist YouTube clip. I'm so offended!
Please don't make me run to the moderators like a whining, insecure adolescent.

It's all over the 'net, and it's in good fun! Sheesh! Laugh a little! I can defend this! (You're being mischievous. Because it IS funny.)

The mods know that, I think.

Any votes? Should I remove this? Is anyone else "offended"? Shoot!

And I have NEVER reported you to the mods, EVER! (There was an incident involving a certain person whose name keeps changing, and he attacked a member with a slur. It was VERY reported, and I couldn't even do it!)

If anyone is "offended" by this cute, viral video, I'll remove it. :roll:

Chris Rock rocks! (I might tweet to him that somebody, somebody white, was "offended" and see what he tweets back! It ought to be funny. LOL!)

rjm (I removed it. Because I know your sensibilities are so tender . . .)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:22 am

Just joking, Robin, calm down. You didn't have to remove it.
I was just pretending to act like a couple of other members on here who enjoy threatening me with reporting me to the moderators at the drop of a hat almost everytime they disagree with my posts.

Heck, there's a Chris Rock video I'd love to post about "_ _ _ _ _ Please" cereal because I think it's hilarious, but certain others on here would want be banned for it!

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:To poormadpeter: When you call everything racism, then nothing is. Like the little boy who cried wolf.

RKS, your voice of reason and common sense is much appreciated, my friend!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 am

Blue River wrote:Just joking, Robin, calm down. You didn't have to remove it.
I was just pretending to act like a couple of other members on here who enjoy threatening me with reporting me to the moderators at the drop of a hat almost everytime they disagree with my posts.

Heck, there's a Chris Rock video I'd love to post about "_ _ _ _ _ Please" cereal because I think it's hilarious, but certain others on here would want be banned for it!

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:To poormadpeter: When you call everything racism, then nothing is. Like the little boy who cried wolf.

That's actually true; everything that offends is not "racism," which is very specific in its meaning. (There are several different words that are often conflated. There is "prejudice," which is just to "pre judge" and can be about anything. Then there's "bigotry"; that's more serious, and any group can act in a bigoted way toward any other. It just means group hatred, expressed. But it's still not racism. Racism is something you ACT upon, based on the belief that one group is superior in some important way, to another, when that group has social power in a context. Black people can be racist toward white people, WHEN they have the power of enforcement behind them: in a predominantly black school or church or team, for instance. But you need to have social power, from the group that is believed to be superior in order to perpetrate racism. Black people can act in a racist manner toward other black people, and that happens a lot.)

So, everything is not racism, no. It should be used with care.

rjm (the video is still up there; it's in your quote!)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:00 am

see below
Last edited by elviscollector101 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 am

elvissessions wrote:I pick Obama, and I will take all challengers at four weeks each.

Just quote this message back to challenge me, if you want a piece of the action.

If I lose, I'll just drop in to say farewell and total up my "sentence."

But I'm putting my faith in America -- and probabilities -- on this one.

i will take that bid ,

i say romney will win !!!!
you obama

we will see

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 am

Ian, you're on. 4 weeks off if Obama is not re-elected. No popular vote vs. Electoral vote stuff if one wins one but not the other. Electoral college only, agreed?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:33 am

memfisking wrote:It looks like the Doc talks the talk but wont walk the walk. :roll:

The Liberal King is missing it seems.
We know he reads most every thread
Perhaps he's scared and went to bed.
Can you blame a man without a backbone
If this same man was born without stones
Romney has become the American Dream
And the Liberal King is still missing it seems

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:35 am

Ian please let me know soon...no taking the bet late Tuesday...let's make this bet Monday evening so we can both know we backed our guy before real numbers started coming in.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:31 am

rjm wrote:

That's actually true; everything that offends is not "racism," which is very specific in its meaning. (There are several different words that are often conflated. There is "prejudice," which is just to "pre judge" and can be about anything. Then there's "bigotry"; that's more serious, and any group can act in a bigoted way toward any other. It just means group hatred, expressed. But it's still not racism. Racism is something you ACT upon, based on the belief that one group is superior in some important way, to another, when that group has social power in a context. Black people can be racist toward white people, WHEN they have the power of enforcement behind them: in a predominantly black school or church or team, for instance. But you need to have social power, from the group that is believed to be superior in order to perpetrate racism. Black people can act in a racist manner toward other black people, and that happens a lot.)

That seems like a narrow definition of racism to me. Attitudes don't only qualify as "racist" if accompanied by discriminatory actions that are felt by the individual, or if the protagonist benefits from a higher social standing.

If I drove past a bunch of black guys and muttered several racially motivated insults, that would be racist, whether they heard me or not.

But yes, everything is not racism. It's about intent.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 am

TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:

That seems like a narrow definition of racism to me. Attitudes don't only qualify as "racist" if accompanied by discriminatory actions that are felt by the individual, or if the protagonist benefits from a higher social standing.

If I drove past a bunch of black guys and muttered a bunch of racially motivated insults, that would be racist, whether they heard me or not.

Well, see, that would be something you DID, not just thought. And to be racist, what you DID had to be backed up by a group belief that you were right to do it based on a belief in the superiority of a group other than the target. (But that depends where you were, when you did it, and what the beliefs were where it happened! Not so easy! But, as described, it's racism. It would be racism to even cross to the other side of the street, simply because of their color. Jesse Jackson used to tell a story, perhaps apocryphal, of how HE did that: he was being trailed by some kids, thought they were black, and was ready to cross the street. And then looked back, and seeing they were white, did not cross the street. If it's not an Urban Legend: but even so, it's explanatory.)

Bigotry is still on the level of an idea - a bad idea: hatred for a certain group, not doing anything. Mary J. Blige, when she prejudged Elvis based on an Urban Legend, stepped over the line of bigotry when she shared it, and when she made it clear that she believed it based on what? Couldn't be evidence, because there is none. No, it was based on hatred of "crackers." That's bigotry, pure and simple. It reveals ignorance and hatred. And prejudice isn't even necessarily bigotry: it just means to pre-judge. It's the base upon which the others build. It's sometimes a thin line between prejudice and bigotry, but racism reveals itself in an action against someone, based on a belief in the superiority of one group to another. (Or sexism, etc.) I would say Blige was getting close there, when she made those statements. But since it was based on ignorance, and the dismissal of a group of people as themselves "racist" I won't call it "racism" but bigotry. Although this is a close shave, a real close shave. (And I might be wrong; it might just be racism because she thought other groups superior to such as Elvis.) It's not just Elvis she was downing, but people "like him." It "must be true": because look who he is, look where he comes from, look what "they" are like . . . She assumes he would hate her based on ethnic background, and that is wrong. If it was just a thought, expressed privately, that would be one thing, but she stepped up in public and declared it. That's bigotry. And maybe to the point of racism because it was based on a belief that "crackers" are just "like that." So she had to "pray" about it, because he was, of course, a terrible person. A person she neither knew, nor knew anything about.

Now, if he was alive, and she spat in his face, well . . . it would definitely go into another territory. Still, Elvis was white - though in his case, in a very complicated way. When Ira Louvin called him the n-word, he was victimized by racism. No question. They had the power to just level him with the word, and he cried all night (Helen Carter's book). Because they were socially able to define themselves as "whiter," as racially superior to him, based on this particular belief in the superiority of "white" music and "behavior," and then they had the social power to act on it, and they did act on it.

It's not easy making these distinctions, but when you work at it, it helps in understanding what's going on.

These are academic distinctions, not "popular" usage. But it holds up pretty well, because "racism" is a very serious charge.

rjm

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 am

We are far from universally agreed academic distinctions. I almost said it's not a "black and white" issue, but that would be cheesy. OK, so I guess I said it after all :)

The Blige issue is complicated. On the one hand, the resentment came from being ill informed, but on the other it could be said that she was making assumptions about his views and character based on the colour of his skin. I'd give her a pass on the racist charge, but that doesn't make the comment any less idiotic.

Back on topic....

I'm fairly confident that Obama will win, but not so much that I'd volunteer for a four-week banishment. Strange things happen in politics. :)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:53 am

iplayastrat wrote:The Liberal King is missing it seems.
We know he reads most every thread
Perhaps he's scared and went to bed.
Can you blame a man without a backbone
If this same man was born without stones
Romney has become the American Dream
And the Liberal King is still missing it seems

The clock is ticking Chicken King.
Are you waiting on a final poll? How
are your friends going to be able to keep
looking up to you? Doc are you there?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:04 pm

iplayastrat,

Doc has seen your post and my guess is he's ignoring it. He's not "confident" that Obama is going to win so he doesn't want to have to leave the forum when he loses. Doc doesn't want to look like a fool (anymore so anyway :wink: )

RKS

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:07 pm

iplayastrat,

What are you doing up at 3am? Are you already in line to vote? :lol:

RKS

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:iplayastrat,

Doc has seen your post and my guess is he's ignoring it. He's not "confident" that Obama is going to win so he doesn't want to have to leave the forum when he loses. Doc doesn't want to look like a fool (anymore so anyway :wink: )

I'm sure he's seen it, he can't help himself.
I bet you're right, he's not confident in a win
for his guy. And I think it would kill him if he
had to leave for the four weeks I suggested.

If he doesn't answer the challenge I'll leave the
poor man alone. Even if he doesn't want to play
the game, you'd think he'd bet just to please his
buddies.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:iplayastrat,
What are you doing up at 3am? Are you already in line to vote? :lol:

I'm ready to vote but I'm not in line yet!
Where I'm voting it will probably be Romney
by over 80%. I live in a little place I like to call...

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Where I'm voting it will probably be Romney
by over 80%. I live in a little place I like to call...

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Same for Tennessee!

As for the Doc - he will probably say he didn't see your post until it was too late.

RKS

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Still waiting on Ian...is he waiting until numbers start rolling in to accept or decline?? He challenged me in the first place!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:poormadpeter wrote:
We are reduced to racist remarks now?

How is that a racist remark?

RKS

A black American is being accused of practicing voodoo. You do the maths.

It was not a racist remark, case closed! 8)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:poormadpeter wrote:
We are reduced to racist remarks now?

How is that a racist remark?

RKS

"You do the maths." :?: :?: :?:

Can you get a better proof reader before publishing your dribble? What in the heck does, you do the maths mean moron? 8)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:

Now that's the biggest stretch I've ever heard!

When you call everything racism, then nothing is. Like the little boy who cried wolf.

RKS

It hasn't even been proven that HE is American, and with his Dad being from Kenya, and siblings being from...What a mysterious fellow, this Barak Hussein Obama is!!!???

The following link is very interesting!!!!!-

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/11/ ... up_to.html