Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It should also be noted that your information is incorrect - The US 3rd disc contained just 19 tracks, and UK edition contained 29 tracks - neither contain 30 tracks.

I misread the Wikipedia entry, but it should be noted your admonishment is, sadly, also incorrect, as the UK does have 30 tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitstory#US_edition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitstory#European_edition

However, typos aside, my core point about the US edition -- the important one -- NOT having a version of "My Way" is spot-on, and negates the use of Hitstory as some kind of parallel.

All UK retailers list the UK version as having 29 tracks (omitting I've Lost You from the list on Wikipedia.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why the American edition is more important than any other? With no disrespect to any Americans on the board, isn't it that sense of self-importance that is likely to give your countrymen a bad name?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:21 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It should also be noted that your information is incorrect - The US 3rd disc contained just 19 tracks, and UK edition contained 29 tracks - neither contain 30 tracks.

I misread the Wikipedia entry, but it should be noted your admonishment is, sadly, also incorrect, as the UK does have 30 tracks.

However, typos aside, my core point about the US edition -- the important one -- NOT having a version of "My Way" is spot-on, and negates the use of Hitstory as some kind of parallel.

All UK retailers list the UK version as having 29 tracks (omitting I've Lost You from the list on Wikipedia.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why the American edition is more important than any other? With no disrespect to any Americans on the board, isn't it that sense of self-importance that is likely to give your countrymen a bad name?

isn't it that sense of weakness that is likely to give your countrymen a bad name ?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 am

minkahed wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

isn't it that sense of weakness that is likely to give your countrymen a bad name ?

What sense of weakness is that? The weakness in believing that our own country isn't more important than everyone elses? It seems rather odd that the Doc believes the American edition of Hitstory is the more important one when it contains ten or more tracks less than those from around the world.

What's more, the Doc has completely forgotten what he is arguing for or against in this thread anyway - the inclusion (or not) of My Way on Hitstory has no relation as to why one version of My Way is listed in the liner notes of Hits of the 70s and a different version appears on the CD.

Could it be that there are errors on an FTD product? I can't see how this can be the case, as such a thing has never happened before. :shock:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:48 am

poormadpeter wrote:What's more, the Doc has completely forgotten what he is arguing for or against in this thread ...

Wrong yet again.

Truth be told, I chose to indulge in side-topics, brought forth by a few as points of argument, in order to show they have zero credibility. This was done.

I initially chimed in on page 6 of this topic because, like many here, I found the aggression toward Hits of the 70's (FTD) to be outsized and ridiculous. You don't want a sentimental compilation of '70s songs by Elvis -- a compilation thoroughly vetted on this and many other online sites, so there is no mystery about the hits or the bonus tracks?

Don't buy it.

But quit the bitching already.

Hope this helps!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Truth be told, I chose to indulge in side-topics, brought forth by a few as points of argument, in order to show they have zero credibility. This was done.

Wait - didn't you earlier write:

"Please, enjoy your smug, self-assured and oft-stated opinion."

There seems to be some irony at play here!

Your voice on the topic at hand seems to be not representative of the opinions of the majority regarding this release - a re-issue of a less than stellar mid-70s UK compilation album - a project not worthy of a hardcore collectors label the likes of FTD. You seem to pride yourself on reason, assessing the evidence and putting forth "informed" opinions, yet not this time. Also, because you feel the complaint is of little value you've taken it upon yourself to wave the flag for FTD. Good on ya, but it's voice overwhelmed in an arena of loud rebuttal. The version of My Way is wrong in the context of the release - a collection representing hit singles released in the United Kingdom. Not quite the f**k up (aka debacle) that was Merry Christmas Baby on the Christmas FTD though, I'm sure you would agree!

Oh wait..

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Regardless of whether there has been yet another goof on an FTD (I refuse to buy it so wouldn't know), it is the principal of releasing a compilation of previously released material that reeks of smugness and insults all fans.
I can cope with mistakes, after all we all make `typos' from time to time, but FTD got their morals wrong with this release and sent us back to the old days of `put out anything, someone will be `completist' enough to buy it).

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:47 pm

minkahed wrote:
memfisking wrote:
minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Typo corrected. What are your thoughts on the content of my reply?

Right on the money and always the Best !!!

The operation to get your lips surgically removed from the Docs ass obviously didn't work then? :smt008

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jealous ?

I don't actually take it, I give it, so if you want some action, I'll be happy to assist you.

So the operation wasn't to get your lips removed from the Docs ass, but to get something else removed from it. :shock:

Hey, i hope you'll both be happy, i really do. :smt007

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:37 pm

rickeap wrote:Regardless of whether there has been yet another goof on an FTD (I refuse to buy it so wouldn't know), it is the principal of releasing a compilation of previously released material that reeks of smugness and insults all fans.
I can cope with mistakes, after all we all make `typos' from time to time, but FTD got their morals wrong with this release and sent us back to the old days of `put out anything, someone will be `completist' enough to buy it).

Got their morals wrong?? That's an overstatement if ever I read one.

Insults all fans? That covers a huge territory. I'm not insulted.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 pm

It amazes me that fans buy the same material over & over again, just amazes me. FTD know their market well (as did the Col) and know the completists will have to buy it. But really, is every FTD really required? Some of the soundboards are very poor. IMO, to be a completist I think every single from SUN 209 up through My Way is sufficient, every EP & LP in his lifetime also. But FTD? Thats a stretch and this release has material thats been issued dozen of times before and to boot, it was a Euro LP only so it doesnt even qualify as a classic album in his catalog. This is a nice hits package for the Legacy series, but an FTD is a bad purchase and will only add to their furture direction of re-releases. Plus CDs are dead to most fans today anyway.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:12 pm

r&b wrote:It amazes me that fans buy the same material over & over again, just amazes me. FTD know their market well (as did the Col) and know the completists will have to buy it. But really, is every FTD really required? Some of the soundboards are very poor. IMO, to be a completist I think every single from SUN 209 up through My Way is sufficient, every EP & LP in his lifetime also. But FTD? Thats a stretch and this release has material thats been issued dozen of times before and to boot, it was a Euro LP only so it doesnt even qualify as a classic album in his catalog. This is a nice hits package for the Legacy series, but an FTD is a bad purchase and will only add to their furture direction of re-releases. Plus CDs are dead to most fans today anyway.

For a collectors label FTD normally delivers with unreleased outtakes offering the hardcore fan a window into the creation of his music or concerts that give us the complete picture of Elvis' career as a performer.Some concerts are essential some less so but nevertheless even the poor shows allow us to to hear where Elvis was at that point.Not to mention the top notch sound and in the 7" classic series some great artwork.Yes,if you have every single,EP and LP you will have a fantastic collection but FTD lets us delve deeper into his music.Out of 114 releases there are only a couple I would question ~Standing Room Only and the current Hits of The 70's the latter especially which I don't think has a place on a collectors label.CD's might be dead to younger music fans brought up on downloads but there are still enough music fans around who prefer the physical product.
Long live CD's and long live FTD.

norrie

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 pm

norrie wrote:
r&b wrote:It amazes me that fans buy the same material over & over again, just amazes me. FTD know their market well (as did the Col) and know the completists will have to buy it. But really, is every FTD really required? Some of the soundboards are very poor. IMO, to be a completist I think every single from SUN 209 up through My Way is sufficient, every EP & LP in his lifetime also. But FTD? Thats a stretch and this release has material thats been issued dozen of times before and to boot, it was a Euro LP only so it doesnt even qualify as a classic album in his catalog. This is a nice hits package for the Legacy series, but an FTD is a bad purchase and will only add to their furture direction of re-releases. Plus CDs are dead to most fans today anyway.

For a collectors label FTD normally delivers with unreleased outtakes offering the hardcore fan a window into the creation of his music or concerts that give us the complete picture of Elvis' career as a performer.Some concerts are essential some less so but nevertheless even the poor shows allow us to to hear where Elvis was at that point.Not to mention the top notch sound and in the 7" classic series some great artwork.Yes,if you have every single,EP and LP you will have a fantastic collection but FTD lets us delve deeper into his music.Out of 114 releases there are only a couple I would question ~Standing Room Only and the current Hits of The 70's the latter especially which I don't think has a place on a collectors label.CD's might be dead to younger music fans brought up on downloads but there are still enough music fans around who prefer the physical product.

norrie

Yes I agree, I like a physical product in my hands also, but I know long time fans 50+ in age who have dumped their cd collections in lieu of IPads or computer burning of CDs to make the compliations they like and to save on space. It is no longer a younger person's game. the CD is basically dead to most of the music population. There are hardly any stores left.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 pm

As this FTD is basically a collection of hit singles that have been released time and time again, the hit single version of "My way" should have been included instead of some random live recording from a different tour which was vaulted for years. After all ,look at the outcry that occured when "30 NO. 1 hits" included incorrect versions / takes of "A fool such as i" and "the blunder of you".

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:26 pm

The alternates were NOT the hit versions..correct.
On the FTD is doesn`t really that matter. It`s a bonus track.
What had Guitar Man to do with Clambake ?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 pm

r&b wrote:
norrie wrote:

norrie

Yes I agree, I like a physical product in my hands also, but I know long time fans 50+ in age who have dumped their cd collections in lieu of IPads or computer burning of CDs to make the compliations they like and to save on space. It is no longer a younger person's game. the CD is basically dead to most of the music population. There are hardly any stores left.

That there are hardly any music stores left is much more to do with the cheaper prices of cds and dvd online than to do with the rise of the download. And it's now in a vicious circle. because there are less high street music shops, we now use the internet even more.

The CD single market has obviously waned significantly in recent years, but I'm not convinced about the non-contemporary CD albums market. Very few music buyers will prefer to buy their music via mp3 if their interest is in classical or jazz music for example, or if they are wanting to buy re-releases of classic albums. In both cases, the benefits of physical product far outweigh those of downloads. Yes, they might turn their cds to mp3s and use them in both formats, but it is hard to imagine anyone wanting to listen to classic albums by, for example, Miles Davis on shuffle mode over having the CD in your hands, being able to read to copious liner notes that comes with it etc.

For Elvis it doesn't matter so much, because his albums were more often than not thrown together anyway, and each song stands alone. The same cannot be said for many other artists though. Johnny Cash albums, with their extended sequences of dialogue don't work as downloads, neither do love concerts, Sinatra's concept albums, or opera. If the CD was really on the way out for these genres, we wouldn't have seen a recent reissue of all of Sinatra's albums from 1960-84, nor would we see the various multi-disc packages of Jerry Lee Lewis that have appeared this year, nor would we see the continuing release of Miles Davis's classic albums through the Legacy series, or Sony's current "complete albums" series which has covered artists from Blue Oyster Cult to Nina Simone so far, and will include the huge Johnny Cash boxed set next month.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the death of the CD is highly exaggerated.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The alternates were NOT the hit versions..correct.

Of course it matters, Cisco. Clambake was 45 years ago, and to suggest that FTD should not worry about repeating the mistakes that were taking place back then is ridiculous. The sensible option with regards to My Way being a bonus track is that it was a posthumous single and not one released during Elvis's life. Apparently the booklet even states that the version is the June version.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:
norrie wrote:

norrie

That there are hardly any music stores left is much more to do with the cheaper prices of cds and dvd online than to do with the rise of the download. And it's now in a vicious circle. because there are less high street music shops, we now use the internet even more.

The CD single market has obviously waned significantly in recent years, but I'm not convinced about the non-contemporary CD albums market. Very few music buyers will prefer to buy their music via mp3 if their interest is in classical or jazz music for example, or if they are wanting to buy re-releases of classic albums. In both cases, the benefits of physical product far outweigh those of downloads. Yes, they might turn their cds to mp3s and use them in both formats, but it is hard to imagine anyone wanting to listen to classic albums by, for example, Miles Davis on shuffle mode over having the CD in your hands, being able to read to copious liner notes that comes with it etc.

For Elvis it doesn't matter so much, because his albums were more often than not thrown together anyway, and each song stands alone. The same cannot be said for many other artists though. Johnny Cash albums, with their extended sequences of dialogue don't work as downloads, neither do love concerts, Sinatra's concept albums, or opera. If the CD was really on the way out for these genres, we wouldn't have seen a recent reissue of all of Sinatra's albums from 1960-84, nor would we see the various multi-disc packages of Jerry Lee Lewis that have appeared this year, nor would we see the continuing release of Miles Davis's classic albums through the Legacy series, or Sony's current "complete albums" series which has covered artists from Blue Oyster Cult to Nina Simone so far, and will include the huge Johnny Cash boxed set next month.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the death of the CD is highly exaggerated.

Very well said! They say cd is dead, and yet look at the number of CDs that elvis is selling. And they say about piracy and yet how many of us copied CDs from friends onto cassette tapes many moons ago? It's always a matter of price and personal interest. I happily pay 18 euros for every new FTD to my dealer but if I want to explore an artist I'm not familiar with I won't pay that much for a cd. Now music is cheaper than 15-20 years ago. I paid 90 euros for the 50s box set back in 92. Now only bear family releases cost that much (and they're worth it!)

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

I think they chose not use the hit version of "My Way" as they haven't remastered the June 1977 live recordings, and there would have been a noticeable drop in sound quality had this version been included.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:48 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I think they chose not use the hit version of "My Way" as they haven't remastered the June 1977 live recordings, and there would have been a noticeable drop in sound quality had this version been included.

Okay, I'll play your game, "rockinrebel."

So when the same incorrect April 25, 1977 version of My Way turned up on Hitstory, are you suggesting Sony were being purposely mendacious, when the liner notes stated it was recorded on June 21, 1977?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am

Nothing, but Elvis only recorded 8 songs for "Clambake" which was not enough for a full LP. With your logic you are saying they may as well have included something like "Steadfast loyal and true" as it's only a bonus track. The clue is in the title - HITS of the '70's", not "live recordings from the 70's which were not hits"

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:09 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Of course it matters, Cisco. Clambake was 45 years ago, and to suggest that FTD should not worry about repeating the mistakes that were taking place back then is ridiculous. The sensible option with regards to My Way being a bonus track is that it was a posthumous single and not one released during Elvis's life. Apparently the booklet even states that the version is the June version.

Tony.. wrote:
Nothing, but Elvis only recorded 8 songs for "Clambake" which was not enough for a full LP. With your logic you are saying they may as well have included something like "Steadfast loyal and true" as it's only a bonus track. The clue is in the title - HITS of the '70's", not "live recordings from the 70's which were not hits"

I understand your points now.....thank you..!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:14 am

Ciscoking wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Tony.. wrote:

Or as Karlos would say (in every posting he makes) 'Ty'.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 am

I am not Karlos...ty..... :lol:

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 am

Tony.. wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Tony.. wrote:

Or as Karlos would say (in every posting he makes) 'Ty'.

I Hear You Tony -Lol - :smt003 :smt003
see my new posts - -
Have a good week Sir - ::rocks

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:34 am

If "Don't buy it, then" is the way to go... Well, I guess we have some good argument now every time that some users start to heavily criticize certain songs from Elvis' catalogue and those who listen to 'em. Heck, if we can't discuss the merits of this release... Don't listen to the songs, then if you don't like them. People are not even speaking of some minor thing like a mistake on the printed tracklist (as happened in A Boy From Tupelo) - there are way more valid reasons to discuss the matter at hand.

Oh well. The release is out there already. Keep discussing - it seems that some things will never change, here or anywhere else.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Truth be told, I chose to indulge in side-topics, brought forth by a few as points of argument, in order to show they have zero credibility. This was done.

Wait - didn't you earlier write ...

I removed that post, as it is not the impression I wish to leave on this topic.