Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:Think we can expect an exact copy from MRS next year?

Yes, with an elaborate book and CD with digital errors.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Revelator wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance, but with regard to the '61 Hawaii Show recording, was it an official one, and, if so, why was it so cruddy?
And if it was not an official recording, then RCA and the Colonel dropped the ball: surely a live album could have been sold "for charity" as well. It might not have netted much money for the suits, but it would have kept Elvis's name upfront and promote any future records released shortly afterward.

The show may have been unofficially taped through the PA system by Tom Moffatt -- one of the original "Poi Boys" -- for KPOI Radio 1380 AM. There's even a rumour that some tracks were aired after the show happened. Moffatt knew Elvis from the first Hawaiian visit in Nov 1957, and he remains to this day a concert promoter in Hawaii.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The entire Nov 1971 tour may be considered pretty stellar. Someday I hope to hear a good-quality recording of the Nov 8 show in Philadelphia, with Jerome Monroe on drums.

That and/or a recording of the Dec. '76 show where Monroe substituted again are at the top of my wish list. I think it would be fascinating to hear a drummer who hadn't even rehearsed with the band.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Jack and Coke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The entire Nov 1971 tour may be considered pretty stellar. Someday I hope to hear a good-quality recording of the Nov 8 show in Philadelphia, with Jerome Monroe on drums.

That and/or a recording of the Dec. '76 show where Monroe substituted again are at the top of my wish list. I think it would be fascinating to hear a drummer who hadn't even rehearsed with the band.

I have a december 75 show with Jerome on drums and one from Madison 24th June 77. It's a very different feel!! Far funkier and less frilly.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Jack and Coke wrote:

I have a december 75 show with Jerome on drums and one from Madison 24th June 77. It's a very different feel!! Far funkier and less frilly.

I forgot he played on any other shows. Funkier is what I'd wondered about, being that he belonged to the Inspirations.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Nevstar wrote: That (Boston Garden, 1971) could have been one of the last great concerts he ever did..

I love that show and defend it from occasional detractors (all hail the Madison upgrade -and that goes for you, too, Keith R.!) but I wouldn't state this as I think he did plenty of "great" concerts after this. I would think these can be heard left and right on RCA, FTD, as well as imports, including audience-recordings, in some cases.

Likewise, I enjoy the '61 show (and what a great LP artwork) and will have to give it another spin soon via "ELVIS ARON PRESLEY (1980)." But I think he developed a lot more from this point, and the screaming girls (and occasional joking about it) does little for me at this point besides being a great historical document instead of a true listening experience.

It's a very interesting point in his career and I hearing him rip into '50s rockers although it already seemed like a long time ago by '61. I never warmed to his "nightclub" / short side-burns look here, which is at odds with the still-rockin' content he was performing. Indeed, a weird "hybrid" period in his career in some respects. Still waiting on the live Memphis '61 tapes..
:lol:
I recall that UK 'express" radio Elvis show had put together their own "fake" 1966 Elvis show sometime ago and it was interesting to hear what songs what might have made it in '66. (And yes, some of the screams overlaid were from '61..)

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Jack and Coke wrote:

Its from Las Vegas, December 7, 1975 10 pm show. Jerome Monroe played only 3 times as Elvis' drummer.

November 8, 1971
December 7, 1975
June 24, 1977

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

I'd like to hear those shows some time and interesting photo.

Between his "Loving You" studio band (if I recall right), the Sweet Insprirations, tthe more minor use of Mr. Monroe (and on and on), Elvis doesn't get enough respect for his effect on integrating black and white music in terms of the studio and stage. He didn't just absorb its influence or recombine it with pop, country, etc. but had Afro-wearing Negros/ Blacks/African-Americans on stage with him as early as 1969...to say nothing of the tales (and photos) of him on Beale Street years prior...

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:52 pm

3577 wrote:
Jack and Coke wrote:

Its from Las Vegas, December 7, 1975 10 pm show. Jerome Monroe played only 3 times as Elvis' drummer.

November 8, 1971
December 7, 1975
June 24, 1977

Ah, so it was '75. That's when Ronnie's child was about to be born, right?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 pm

68 Come back - June 27th /29th 68 - Burbank Studios
Las Vegas - July 31st 1969 - His Return To Captivate A Large Audience At Vegas
Las Vegas - August Summer Season Of 1970 -
Madison Square Gardens - New York - June 9th - 11th 1972 -
Honolulu - Hawaii - Jan 12th /14th 73
There are many That I Think as Great concerts-
too many ta mention -
But ultimately
I Have to say - Burbank '68 -
he looked sleek , virile , energetic , physically fit -like a panther or Tiger Man lookn great in leathers like a Rock Star -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Ed sullivan, milton berle tv shows 50's
Hawaii '61, Comeback 68, August 3 1969
TTWII shows, LA Nov.1970, Jan/Feb/Aug '71, Hampton roads & January 26 1972, Lake Tahoe '73 and August '73
Jan/Feb/March 1974 shows, July 1 1974 omaha, March/April/June/July 1975, December 1975, March '76, Pine Bluff '76, December 27-31 1976, April 24/26/1977,
June 21 till June 26 1977 (With Exception for June 24).

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:29 am

karlos wrote:

You have heard it..?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:36 am

Ciscoking wrote:
karlos wrote:

You have heard it..?

Sorry Ciscoking - I Have not heard July 31st 1969 Yet - I Guess I was refering to another show Guess it would have been Aug 22nd 1969
- I pray and hope that the Opening show of 69 will be released for
all of us fans to hear someday -
::rocks

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 am

impossible to choose just one

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 am

I would hazard to guess Elvis' greatest live performances were during the year 1957... sadly for those of us who didn't have a chance to see him during that period, we may never hear them. :(

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 am

Oh to have been in the audience on March 20th 1974 Memphis!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:1961, Honolulu, Bloch Arena.

This evening gets my vote too. Incredible in every respect.

Elvis Presley
Pearl Harbor Benefit Show
Saturday, March 25, 1961
Honolulu, HI

Introduction
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
A Fool Such As I
I Got A Woman
Love Me
Introductions of musicians, singers
Such A Night
Reconsider Baby
I Need Your Love Tonight
That's All Right
Don't Be Cruel
One Night
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
It's Now Or Never
Swing Down Sweet Chariot
Hound Dog

Elvis Aron Presley (RCA/BMG, 1980/1998) - Disc 1
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/silverbox.html

In light of this Doc, briefly, what did you think of the MRS release?

I don't want to get into protracted discussion about right and wrong of the label just the actual audio.

I was pleased with it and thought it added to the enjoyment of the concert. I loved the extra audio intros etc which for me made it extra special.

I am not having a pop but I think if you don't have the MRS you are missing out.

Just my opinion.

elvisonline

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Phoenix78 wrote:Well I guess it's kinda in the "eye of the beholder."
I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but one of my favorite shows is Sept. 28th at College Park. He was definitely in a unique mind frame, but I thought he was absolutely hilarious inter-acting with the audience, etc. The crowd seemed to enjoy the show very much. There's others, I'm just short on time & gotta go! take it easy guys! ::rocks

Funny - I just listened to this for the first time in probably 10 years and it was much better than I remember, obviously not one of his best concerts but like the Chaos show probably not the disaster it's been made out to be.

There's so many, it'd be impossible to pick one especially considering all the shows we've been exposed to. I'd have to say Aloha, it will always hold a special place for me, I watched it 100's of times as a kid. It was probably the first concert LP I had as well and definitely my favorite but I played the hell out of Madison Square Garden as well. When I rented a VHS copy of Elvis on Tour as a kid it blew my mind, but I never saw a copy to buy in a store so I'd have to go to the Video Library with my mother and rent it about once a month. I never really got into the Memphis 74 album, but I think the atrocious applause on the original LP had a lot to do with it. Listening to the FTD version now it's fantastic and probably one of his best tours.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:12 pm

1974 and 1975 shows are very overrated. None are in a class with the best of 1969 or 1970.

One show I haven't seen listed here is the closing show from February, 1970. Now that's a great concert.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 pm

thatsthewayitis wrote:my fav

i was tempted to say this one. definitely one of my favorites

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Atlanta, July 3, 1973..a truels fantastic concert..!

www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/S ... yheart.htm

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Atlanta, July 3, 1973..a truels fantastic concert..!

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/i ... yheart.htm

Bring out the soundboard on FTD, Cisco!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Alexander wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Atlanta, July 3, 1973..a truels fantastic concert..!

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/i ... yheart.htm

Bring out the soundboard on FTD, Cisco!

Ohhh YES!!
Please do Cisco, that would make a wonderful release ::rocks