Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Deleted Scenes from the Movies

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 am

When I was little I do remember seeing the scene in Speedway where Elvis sang Five Sleepy Heads.

The little girls were going to sleep in his bed. He sang to them with Nancy Sinatra by his side.

As the song went along they all fell asleep. Him and Nancy were just leaving the room and they all sat up and yelled GOOD NIGHT to them. They laughed and said good night and go to sleep.

I don't know when they cut this scene out of the movie but when I was around 7 years old and watching it at the Drive-In movies it was there.

::rocks

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 am

I just remembered another scene from Kid Galahad.

When Charles Bronson's hand were broken by Otto's goons in the kitchen that scene was there.

I don't know if they thought it was too violent and cut it out later but I do remember seeing that one too.

See, being old does have some advantages sometimes. :lol:

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:56 pm

california boy wrote:Hi Bob
yes, this topic was always interesting to me, i always thoguth about those deleted scenes
I know that in the trailer of GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS we can see Elvis sings I DONT WANT TO !!! for about 14 seconds....so it was filmed ! dont know about Where do you Come From
in Wild In The country , in the trailer we sure see few seconds of LONELY MAN !!!
About the songs from Viva Las Vegas and Harum Scarum i really dont know, never saw even 1 second of those
i would pay lots of $ for those deleted scenes, if only they exised
i also would love to know more information....
Thanks for bringing this topic again
Good Day
Lior :smt006

I read somewhere than the european prints of Wild in The Country had Lonely Man in the film. Is that true?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Mitch wrote:When I was little I do remember seeing the scene in Speedway where Elvis sang Five Sleepy Heads.

I too recall seeing that scene when I watched the movie at the cinema.
A also recall seeing the 'branding' sequence from Charro in full (quite brutal) and of course the nude scene featuring Ina Balin.
I remember the cinema version of the movie 'The Trouble With Girls' being at least 30 minutes longer than the VHS/DVD version but I can't remember exactly what the extra footage consisted of.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the examples. I didn't realize so much had been hacked from the films over the years.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:I read somewhere than the european prints of Wild in The Country had Lonely Man in the film. Is that true?

I don't believe so. It was however in the trailer to the movie.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am

Julian Grant wrote:
TheMaskedClown wrote:I read somewhere than the european prints of Wild in The Country had Lonely Man in the film. Is that true?

I don't believe so. It was however in the trailer to the movie.

I also dont know for sure....i only saw few seconds on the film trailer....including the song: I dont want to.....from Girls, Girls , Girls !

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

phpBB [video]

i dont want to ;)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Elfan wrote:
Mitch wrote:When I was little I do remember seeing the scene in Speedway where Elvis sang Five Sleepy Heads.

A also recall seeing the 'branding' sequence from Charro in full (quite brutal) and of course the nude scene featuring Ina Balin.
I remember the cinema version of the movie 'The Trouble With Girls' being at least 30 minutes longer than the VHS/DVD version but I can't remember exactly what the extra footage consisted of.

Is this right??

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:
Elfan wrote:

Is this right??

I too remember seeing a long version of Trouble that had a lot more Vincent Price footage

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:42 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:
Elfan wrote:

Is this right??

Of Course it's right!

Would I lie? :wink:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:23 am

Only things I have seen is the butt shot from Charro! and Tonight's Alright from GI Blues, plus the Jailhouse Rock outtakes used in Elvis In Hollywood. I honestly think this is the type of stuff bound to show up one day, but they should have shown up already.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:41 am

If I was swimming in money, I would personally finance the location, restoration and release of all lost Presley Hollywood footage, including all the MGM outtakes from the 1970 and 1972 documentaries.

Unless we find someone like that, all of these discussions will be pipe dreams, as the corporations (and private entities) who possess this material do not feel such effort will turn the necessary profit.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:08 am

Mitch wrote:
TheMaskedClown wrote:
Elfan wrote:

Is this right??

Of Course it's right!

Would I lie? :wink:

I know the feeling !

I seem to be the only fan left who remembers seeing a more violent version of Flaming Star being shown at the cinema !

What we get on DVD these days is a 'cleaned-up-for-TV' version !

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If I was swimming in money, I would personally finance the location, restoration and release of all lost Presley Hollywood footage, including all the MGM outtakes from the 1970 and 1972 documentaries.

Unless we find someone like that, all of these discussions will be pipe dreams, as the corporations (and private entities) who possess this material do not feel such effort will turn the necessary profit.

Sadly, that's very true.
I hope you win the lottery real soon DJC :-)

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:09 am

Elfan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If I was swimming in money, I would personally finance the location, restoration and release of all lost Presley Hollywood footage, including all the MGM outtakes from the 1970 and 1972 documentaries.

Sadly, that's very true.
I hope you win the lottery real soon DJC :-)

Doc should play the lottery right now.

He's on a roll, his Giants just won the World Series!

His President just got re-elected!

He has 1 month without the Republicans on the board! :wink:

He has me for a friend!! :lol:

Play it right away Doc you lucky Son Of A Mother!!!

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:03 am

wasn't it supposed to be asian prints of Speedway that included the extra songs?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:08 am

I also remember the longer more gruesome Charles Bronson scene from "Kid Galahad".

Also, one of the very first off brand releases and extremely expensive ones of "Charro" on VHS contained a very muddy print and even muddier scenes that had been edited from the theactrical version including the longer more dramitic branding scene and the extended more brutal rolling cannon scene that kills Billy Roy but the "nude" scene is not present. I have a copy of this muddy VHS copy. I was very disappointed when the official Warner Brothers VHS release did not contain a cleaned up unedited print of "Charro".

And now that Mitch has brought it up, I am most certain I remember seeing a print including "Five Sleepy Heads" but I cannot remember for a fact where it was unless it was a Saturday matinee when I was a kid. As I remember seeing several of Elvis' flicks on the big screen at those matinees and I do mean "Big Screen" and not those teeny tiny screens we have today in the multiplexs.
Last edited by Deke Rivers II on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:wasn't it supposed to be asian prints of Speedway that included the extra songs?

I don't know about that.

I just know I saw it in Florida at the Drive-in movies in the late 60's.

My Brother and Sisters remember it too.

I'm old so I had to get some back up to make sure I wasn't senile. :)

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 am

I have to admit I thought everyone was mad, as I was certain Five Sleepy Heads was on the version shown on TV when I was a kid, but I think it's my memory playing tricks. If the thing about the Asian prints is true, then that could possibly tie in with the drive-in scenario. Where else to get a cheap print but buy in a well-worn copy from Asia? I'm not saying that is the case, but certainly it isn't impossible. Likewise, the original VHS of Charro was a grey market release, and so that print could have been bought from anywhere!

I'm certainly no expert on film prints in the 60s, but these ideas sound feasible, and certainly tie in with practices in earlier periods and how "cut" scenes from older films have been found over the years. Different edits for different markets is/was quite normal, as the finding of footage for Metropolis in South America a few years back showed. And a new film (Red Dawn, I think) is getting a very different cut in Asia to that in America. From what I remember reading, the edit of Trouble With Girls in cinemas in the UK was about 83 minutes as opposed to the USA print of 97 minutes - but I'm happy to be corrected on that if I have misremembered.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 am

I'm also in the club that has seen "Five Sleepy Heads" in a television copy of "Speedway." I'm certain of it because when I bought the LP years later and Elvis Sings for Children I knew the song and remembered the visual. There was no other way I could have identified the song at that time.

I think the nude scene in "Charro" was never filmed.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 am

likethebike wrote:I'm also in the club that has seen "Five Sleepy Heads" in a television copy of "Speedway." I'm certain of it because when I bought the LP years later and Elvis Sings for Children I knew the song and remembered the visual. There was no other way I could have identified the song at that time.
I think the nude scene in "Charro" was never filmed.

I have the nude scene on a DVD that someone sent me a number of years ago.

Elvis' girl stands up in the tub and you see her butt and side boob.

I'm pretty sure it's a body double. The nude woman looks thinner than the co-star. (i don't remember her name)

So, I know it was filmed. I never saw it here in the states when I watched Charro.

I didn't even know it existed until my buddy sent it to me.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:14 am

You're right about the discrepancy between the running time of the UK and North American release of The Trouble With Girls, PMP. I'm not certain if this was originally in relation to the cinema release, or later home media releases, but this was corrected some years thereafter. The full running-time, I believe, is 104 minutes. However, reviews from the film's time of release do cite the running-time at 105 minutes.

With regards to deleted scenes -- or, more likely, an unused scene, there was a segment in The Trouble With Girls in which the big top was blown down, or fell down. Whether this footage was ever screened is debatable, but there, apparently, was stills of this in circulation some years ago. And, although the likelihood is that most cut scenes are now lost, there's always the possibility of something unseen and very interesting appearing. The cut scenes from Charro!, for example, are in remarkably good condition considering they were absent either in general release prints, or later re-releases. Probably the latter, given accounts of those who saw this film upon release.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:23 pm

My name is Norton McColl and I ran an Elvis fanclub in Brazil (ElvisAlive) for many years. One thing I learnt is that most of Elvis movies presented in Brazilian movie theatres had alternative scenes.
KING CREOLE has shown the alternative hotel scene where Elvis and Susan Hart actually got inside the room.They talk while she is sit on the bed.
GI BLUES had the alternative TONIGHT IS ALL RIGHT FOR LOVE (Vienna Woods) scene which is completely different than the one released later.
SPEEDWAY had the FIVE SLEEPY HEADS scene where he sings to babies in a craddle.
HARUM SCARUM had two extra scenes included, which are the one with with a black panther circulating (ANIMAL INSTINCT) and WISDOM OF THE AGES where Elvis bows to the King at the end.
I do not know for sure whatelse we could see in the movie theatres in the 50´s and 60`s.I wish we had VHS sets at that time. But it looks like they always use South America to show defying alternative scenes. The same happened with Hammer horror movies productions whose bloody and or sex scenes in full colour were later cut from released VHS´s and DVDs. I am available to hear from you.
But back to Elvis, where are those lost scenes?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:07 am

Mitch wrote:I just remembered another scene from Kid Galahad.

When Charles Bronson's hand were broken by Otto's goons in the kitchen that scene was there.

I don't know if they thought it was too violent and cut it out later but I do remember seeing that one too.

See, being old does have some advantages sometimes. :lol:

I remember both of those scenes too.