Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis Army Photo

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:23 am

Sorry if this has been posted here before but new to my eyes. When was this taken?

Re: Elvis Army Photo

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:31 am

Jove wrote:When was this taken?

when he was in the army ::rocks

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:09 am

Elvisgirl wrote:
Jove wrote:When was this taken?

when he was in the army ::rocks

Obviously, do I have to spell it out .."The exact date" :P

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 am

Taken on spring maneuvers, Jove, after 27 March 1959 and before 11 April 1959, I assume at Grafenwöhr training area, Bavaria, West Germany. Send a message to E-Cat if you would like to have exact information. I think he must have Elvis' service record, and he's certainly done his homework.

Beautiful photo, isn't it?

Elvisgirl, you are bad, bad...go stand in the corner. :roll: (You made me choke on a cup of coffee. That's the answer everyone wants to give at least once.)

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 am

latebloomer wrote:Elvisgirl, you are bad, bad...go stand in the corner. :roll: (You made me choke on a cup of coffee. That's the answer everyone wants to give at least once.)

i just couldn't resist :smt077

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:25 am

Thank you latebloomer, better late than never :wink:

Photo from http://www.armykaserne.com/nurnbergmili ... in_photos/
Last edited by Jove on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 am

Gosh, Jove, you really know how to say thank you! That's a new-to-my-eyes photo, but it's from a different date, as I assume you already know. He's wearing sergeant's stripes, so that must be from the spring exercise, February, '60, at GTA, Grafenwoehr Training Area, and the only one I've seen so far in color. Bravo!!

Any one else have any more from that time, especially in color?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks latebloomer.

Found this on the net, but no data provided.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Jove wrote:Thanks latebloomer.

according to the photobook Elvis Like Any Other Soldier the above photo is dated as being October 1st 1958

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks jinjoe.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:02 pm

That's gorgeous, Jove. My thanks, too, jinjoe, for the date. I'm falling behind, so here's a pair from several I found today, new to me although perhaps not to anyone else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:50 pm

latebloomer, here you go this one, :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 am

Whee, that's love-er-ly!! Thank you, kind, sir.

(And don't go way with your nice watermark-clearer, either, please. I must have pulled off about 300 great photos last night, all watermarked, most lifted so I can give the proper credits to copies I already have without anyone's watermark, but some new to me, maybe even to others. It will take me awhie to sort them out, but I'll post them as soon as possible.)

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 am

Jove wrote:Sorry if this has been posted here before but new to my eyes.

latebloomer wrote:Taken on spring maneuvers, Jove, after 27 March 1959 and before 11 April 1959, I assume at Grafenwöhr training area, Bavaria, West Germany. Send a message to E-Cat if you would like to have exact information. I think he must have Elvis' service record, and he's certainly done his homework.

This photo was actually taken at the FTA, Friedberg Training Area, 3 miles west of Ray Barracks. Unlike other sources who claimed that these photos were shot by TELDEC, these and many more EIB photo's were actually taken by Don Cravens. I met Don Cravens before his death and bought many negatives. Most of these are not published.

Click the following link to find more of Craven's photo's from August 1960 - by David E : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50537&p=718222

Jove wrote:Image/

latebloomer wrote:He's wearing sergeant's stripes, so that must be from the spring exercise, February, '60, at GTA, Grafenwoehr Training Area, and the only one I've seen so far in color. Bravo!!

Elvis was promoted to acting sgt, but there was no spring exercise in 1960. In fact, Elvis was on maneuvers in Graf 2 times, but never in the spring.
This photo was taken during the winter maneuvers early February 1960. In the photo you can see Elvis and the C troops from O'Brien Barracks who were staying in Graf.
They also met a a few days earlier at Rose Barracks in Vilseck.

jinjoe wrote:
Jove wrote: Image

according to the photobook Elvis Like Any Other Soldier the above photo is dated as being October 1st 1958

Though I have the highest respect for Barbara Hahn who researched "Elvis Like Any Other Soldier", the October '58 date is not correct.
The photo is from the Open Day / House at Ray Barracks (second weekend of April 1959

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:07 pm

E-Cat wrote:This photo was actually taken at the FTA, Friedberg Training Area, 3 miles west of Ray Barracks. Unlike other sources who claimed that these photos were shot by TELDEC, these and many more EIB photo's were actually taken by Don Cravens. I met Don Cravens before his death and bought many negatives. Most of these are not published.

Click the following link to find more of Craven's photo's from August 1960 - by David E : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50537&p=718222

Elvis was promoted to acting sgt, but there was no spring exercise in 1960. In fact, Elvis was on maneuvers in Graf 2 times, but never in the spring.

This photo was taken during the winter maneuvers early February 1960. In the photo you can see Elvis and the C troops from O'Brien Barracks who were staying in Graf.
They also met a a few days earlier at Rose Barracks in Vilseck.

Though I have the highest respect for Barbara Hahn who researched "Elvis Like Any Other Soldier", the October '58 date is not correct.
The photo is from the Open Day / House at Ray Barracks (second weekend of April 1959

Incredible presicion :shock:
Many thanks E-Cat

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:41 am

Thanks a lot, E-Cat for your input! Much appreciated!!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 am

E-Cat, that's a very nice piece of research. I was pleased to see that photo from Open House, because in black-and-white I could not quite place what the uniform was. Elvis was on the tail end of those who wore it, I think; I know it dropped out of Dad's uniform gear shortly thereafter. It was pure wool, nice and warm and thick, and I think dated back to WW1! Dad said that hen wet it smelled exactly like a wet dog, and God forbid a guy should get overheated in it. (As of 1965, Turkish soldiers were issued two such uniforms for their entire term of service, 4 years, I think, and had to make them last, and had to wear them even through the monsoons if Novembers and the broiling heat of four summers. Ugh!!)

Gosh, if you ever decide to part with Don Cravens' photos, please give me first refusal -- if I'm not already several other bidders too late.

I have not yet seen a map that lays out the various area where Elvis lived, workd, trained, etc., while in Germany, but neither have I looked very hard for one. Could you indulge me with a clue where I might find one? It's rather difficult to sort out what and when without, as you recently poited out, knowing where.

You're much more interesting than a history class -- and much better informed than most of my history teachers ever were!

Bravo!!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:12 pm

The exact date for the photo from Open House would be April 11, 1959.

SORRY, that should be Friday, April 10, 1959

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes April 10 is correct

The yearly anniversary is celebrated in 3 phases:

1 - In the first phase: tanks are positioned on the parade ground to allow visiters to climb in and out.
Army personnel gave the children rides around the kaserne. Coffee and donuts are served. This is also
the day when Elvis and Ira Jones son were photographed at Elvis Jeep and when the press is present.
2 - At phase 2 there were competing games
3 - And at phase 3 there is the field parade

source: Ira Jones (Elvis soldier Boy)

Normally the annual parade is April 15 (as the third armored division was activated on April 15 1941)
but the annual date is between 10-15 april

Given the sequence of the celebration as mentioned above I agree the photo is from April 10 (as also
mentioned in one of the photo captions I have).

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:39 am

Here's another new one to me.