Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi :)
First of all - forgive me my english :)
I just realised that I really like Jerry Lee Lewis, I'm 19 and i live in Poland (but that's not important :) ) Elvis is my king and i love everything about Him - and this will never change. A while ago i became interested in JLL. I watched and read a few interviews. I remember that i readed in some book about the incident with drunked Jerry in front of Graceland with a gun - and i thought that i will never like him (but at the time i didn't know his history and music) today i really enjoy listening to his songs and watching him performing them on stage. And he is still singing today I'm really impressed - he's the last man standing. But let's go back to the topic :) Jerry said in this interviews i have seen that he and Elvis were close friends - is this true ? He said that Elvis called him very often, that they were talking by the phone. And he was saying that the incident in front of Graceland was a misunderstanding. I really want to learn something more about this incident (when it took place ?) and about the relations of Elvis with JLL - can someone help me and "shed some light on that" for me ?
I will be very thankful :)

P.S I can't wait for my copy of Prince From Another Planet ! By the way did You see that ? :
Image

The boxset looks amazing ! The picture was posted on Elvis profile on Facebook.

Thank You and have a nice weekend friends !
Patrick

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:12 pm

I believe that since Elvis died Jerry Lee Lewis like a lot of people has exaggeratted stories about him.

I think Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did bump into each other a couple of times in the early years and maybe once or twice in the later years.

But i don't know that's it's been confirmed that they even bumped into each other in the later years of Elvis' life.

They were far from friends i can tell you that.

The gun incident i believe was Jerry Lee Lewis getting drunk and then driving to Graceland and threatening to kill Elvis.

Jerry Lee Lewis' claim that Elvis called him sounds like B.S.

When Jerry Lee says that he and Elvis were very close friends that spent time together that's just B.S.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 pm

brian wrote:I believe that since Elvis died Jerry Lee Lewis like a lot of people has exaggeratted stories about him.

I think Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did bump into each other a couple of times in the early years and maybe once or twice in the later years.

But i don't know that's it's been confirmed that they even bumped into each other in the later years of Elvis' life.

They were far from friends i can tell you that.

The gun incident i believe was Jerry Lee Lewis getting drunk and then driving to Graceland and threatening to kill Elvis.

Jerry Lee Lewis' claim that Elvis called him sounds like B.S.

When Jerry Lee says that he and Elvis were very close friends that spent time together that's just B.S.


Your source for this?
Hearsay?
Or were you with Elvis or Jerry Lee Lewis 24/7?

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:58 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
brian wrote:I believe that since Elvis died Jerry Lee Lewis like a lot of people has exaggeratted stories about him.

I think Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did bump into each other a couple of times in the early years and maybe once or twice in the later years.

But i don't know that's it's been confirmed that they even bumped into each other in the later years of Elvis' life.

They were far from friends i can tell you that.

The gun incident i believe was Jerry Lee Lewis getting drunk and then driving to Graceland and threatening to kill Elvis?

Jerry Lee Lewis' claim that Elvis called him sounds like B.S.

When Jerry Lee says that he and Elvis were very close friends that spent time together that's just B.S.


Your source for this?
Hearsay?
Or were you with Elvis or Jerry Lee Lewis 24/7?


I was with Jerry Lee 24/7.

The Memphis papers in 1976 said that Lewis got drunk and showed up at Graceland threatning to kill Elvis.
Jerry Lee Lewis saying Elvis invited him to Graceland is just spin after the fact by Lewis.

Let me ask you a question how do you know it's true that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis got drunk and rode motorcycles together naked through Memphis?

I wish people on this board would stop being so frickin naive and argumentative.

I know what i'm talking about.

:roll:

P.S. However as a fair minded person if you have evidence proving that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis really were extremely close friends please present it.

But you can't because there isn't any.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Thank You very much Brian for You help :)

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:12 pm

fussioman wrote:Thank You very much Brian for You help :)


You are very welcome.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 pm

brian wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:
brian wrote:I believe that since Elvis died Jerry Lee Lewis like a lot of people has exaggeratted stories about him.

I think Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did bump into each other a couple of times in the early years and maybe once or twice in the later years.

But i don't know that's it's been confirmed that they even bumped into each other in the later years of Elvis' life.

They were far from friends i can tell you that.

The gun incident i believe was Jerry Lee Lewis getting drunk and then driving to Graceland and threatening to kill Elvis?

Jerry Lee Lewis' claim that Elvis called him sounds like B.S.

When Jerry Lee says that he and Elvis were very close friends that spent time together that's just B.S.


Your source for this?
Hearsay?
Or were you with Elvis or Jerry Lee Lewis 24/7?


I was with Jerry Lee 24/7.

The Memphis papers in 1976 said that Lewis got drunk and showed up at Graceland threatning to kill Elvis.
Jerry Lee Lewis saying Elvis invited him to Graceland is just spin after the fact by Lewis.

Let me ask you a question how do you know it's true that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis got drunk and rode motorcycles together naked through Memphis?

I wish people on this board would stop being so frickin naive and argumentative.

I know what i'm talking about.

:roll:

P.S. However as a fair minded person if you have evidence proving that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis really were extremely close friends please present it.

But you can't because there isn't any.


There is a lot about Elvis not even his best friends knew.
Like going to the president on a commercial airliner.......
Or riding around on motorcycles alone......
Or talking on the phone with Jerry Lee Lewis......

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:01 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
brian wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:
brian wrote:I believe that since Elvis died Jerry Lee Lewis like a lot of people has exaggeratted stories about him.

I think Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis did bump into each other a couple of times in the early years and maybe once or twice in the later years.

But i don't know that's it's been confirmed that they even bumped into each other in the later years of Elvis' life.

They were far from friends i can tell you that.

The gun incident i believe was Jerry Lee Lewis getting drunk and then driving to Graceland and threatening to kill Elvis?

Jerry Lee Lewis' claim that Elvis called him sounds like B.S.

When Jerry Lee says that he and Elvis were very close friends that spent time together that's just B.S.


Your source for this?
Hearsay?
Or were you with Elvis or Jerry Lee Lewis 24/7?


I was with Jerry Lee 24/7.

The Memphis papers in 1976 said that Lewis got drunk and showed up at Graceland threatning to kill Elvis.
Jerry Lee Lewis saying Elvis invited him to Graceland is just spin after the fact by Lewis.

Let me ask you a question how do you know it's true that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis got drunk and rode motorcycles together naked through Memphis?

I wish people on this board would stop being so frickin naive and argumentative.

I know what i'm talking about.

:roll:

P.S. However as a fair minded person if you have evidence proving that Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis really were extremely close friends please present it.

But you can't because there isn't any.


There is a lot about Elvis not even his best friends knew.
Like going to the president on a commercial airliner.......
Or riding around on motorcycles alone......
Or talking on the phone with Jerry Lee Lewis......


Jerry Lee Lewis has said the whole incident about going to Graceland with a gun was a misunderstanding.

If it were true that it was just a misunderstanding why did the police arrest Jerry.

Why didn't Elvis or Vester vouch for Jerry Lee.

The police arrested Jerry Lee Lewis because he was not invited and he was waving a gun around drunk threatning to kill Elvis.

The police don't take things like that lightly.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:09 am

You can believe what you want brian, but the fact is they were freinds! Jerry lee Lewis had and still has great respect for Elvis Presley. I think he would also agree that Elvis kicked the door wide open for rockers like him.

This interview tells the whole story my friend. No need to make alternative story's about the incident. 8)

phpBB [video]

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:You can believe what you want brian, but the fact is they were freinds! Jerry lee Lewis had and still has great respect for Elvis Presley. I think he would also agree that Elvis kicked the door wide open for rockers like him


What i said about the graceland/gun incident is fact.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:34 am

brian wrote:They were far from friends i can tell you that.



.

How do you know this? This is just your opinion, it's not a fact!

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:39 am

brian wrote:
ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:You can believe what you want brian, but the fact is they were freinds! Jerry lee Lewis had and still has great respect for Elvis Presley. I think he would also agree that Elvis kicked the door wide open for rockers like him


What i said about the graceland/gun incident is fact.


We can't go on what you think Brian, only what Jerry Lee Lewis says in this clip and the way Jerry tells it seems to be the truth.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:44 am

Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:You can believe what you want brian, but the fact is they were freinds! Jerry lee Lewis had and still has great respect for Elvis Presley. I think he would also agree that Elvis kicked the door wide open for rockers like him


What i said about the graceland/gun incident is fact.


We can't go on what you think Brian, only what Jerry Lee Lewis says in this clip and the way Jerry tells it seems to be the truth.


Thank You all for Your help :) And ElvisLive3August1969 thanks for the interview :)

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 am

Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:You can believe what you want brian, but the fact is they were freinds! Jerry lee Lewis had and still has great respect for Elvis Presley. I think he would also agree that Elvis kicked the door wide open for rockers like him


What i said about the graceland/gun incident is fact.


We can't go on what you think Brian, only what Jerry Lee Lewis says in this clip and the way Jerry tells it seems to be the truth.


Yes, you can.

This is getting ridiculous it was reported in the Memphis papers it's not what i think.

So no you don't have to go only by what Jerry Lee says years after the fact.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:
brian wrote:They were far from friends i can tell you that.



.

How do you know this? This is just your opinion, it's not a fact!


It's not my opinion.

If i went to your house uninvited and threatened to kill you would we be friends.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:... the fact is they were freinds!

Fact? No, this is incorrect.

Elvis, of course, knew Jerry as far back as 1956, through his ongoing friendship with Sam Phillips at Sun Records, and appreciating Jerry's fantastic work for the Sun label up to 1963, and other labels after that. Presley greatly admired the man's talent, and had many of Lewis' Sun singles at home, perhaps sent to him by Phillips when released.


570500_Lewis_Phillips_Sun Studios.jpg
Jerry Lee and Sam at Sun, circa May 1957


But Elvis was never pleased enduring Jerry's personal behavior, which could often be brash, and downright rude. He had Jerry over to Graceland in the summer of '57, but was not pleased with how he tried to upstage the host during a jam session at the piano. There's at least one image of Jerry at the piano in Graceland music room, taken from what may be the entryway, you can't really see too much as his back is to the camera.

When Lewis caught two Presley sets at the International on Friday, August 15, 1969, he was anything but gracious when visiting backstage, and Elvis is on record as later saying how much he disliked the kind of person Jerry was in those situations.

Regarding the Memphis arrest incident, it should be said that Jerry was not invited to Graceland in November 1976.

Jerry drove up to the gates inebriated, waving a gun around, and asking to see Elvis. The gatekeeper was advised by someone at the house to call the police, which he did. Now, Lewis never said he "came to kill Elvis." But, allegedly, Elvis called the guard at the gate during the commotion, which he saw from his security cameras, and said "Hell no, I don't wanna talk to him. I'll come down there and kill him!"

The arrest of course made the papers.


761124_Memphis Press-Scimitar_Lewis.JPG

Memphis Press-Scimitar, Wednesday, November 24, 1976


The news report is slightly misleading. There were two visits to the gates, but Lewis actually first came to the house the night before (Monday, November 22), sober, but Elvis was unavailable. The following evening (Tuesday, November 23) he returned, possibly hellbent on saving Presley from himself. It was a valiant, if vain, effort.

In any case, Jerry did not look happy being booked at MPD.


761123_Memphis Police_Lewis mug shot.JPG
Jerry Lee Lewis, Memphis Police Department, Tuesday, November 23, 1976


A little over 9 months later, Elvis was gone forever. And that's the way it went.

Hope this helps -- I really know what I'm talking about. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:... the fact is they were freinds!

Fact? No, this is incorrect.

Elvis, of course, knew Jerry as far back as 1956, through his ongoing friendship with Sam Phillips at Sun Records, and appreciating Jerry's fantastic work for the Sun label up to 1963, and other labels after that. Presley greatly admired the man's talent, and had many of Lewis' Sun singles at home, perhaps sent to him by Phillips when released.


570500_Lewis_Phillips_Sun Studios.jpg
Jerry Lee and Sam at Sun, circa May 1957


But Elvis was never pleased enduring Jerry's personal behavior, which could often be brash, and downright rude. He had Jerry over to Graceland in the summer of '57, but was not pleased with how he tried to upstage the host during a jam session at the piano. There's at least one image of Jerry at the piano in Graceland music room, taken from what may be the entryway, you can't really see too much as his back is to the camera.

When Lewis caught two Presley sets at the International on Friday, August 15, 1969, he was anything but gracious when visiting backstage, and Elvis is on record as later saying how much he disliked the kind of person Jerry was in those situations.

Regarding the Memphis arrest incident, it should be said that Jerry was not invited to Graceland in November 1976.

Jerry drove up to the gates inebriated, waving a gun around, and asking to see Elvis. The gatekeeper was advised by someone at the house to call the police, which he did. Now, Lewis never said he "came to kill Elvis." But, allegedly, Elvis called the guard at the gate during the commotion, which he saw from his security cameras, and said "Hell no, I don't wanna talk to him. I'll come down there and kill him!"

The arrest of course made the papers.


761124_Memphis Press-Scimitar_Lewis.JPG

Memphis Press-Scimitar, Wednesday, November 24, 1976


The news report is slightly misleading. There were two visits to the gates, but Lewis actually first came to the house the night before (Monday, November 22), sober, but Elvis was unavailable. The following evening (Tuesday, November 23) he returned, possibly hellbent on saving Presley from himself. It was a valiant, if vain, effort.

In any case, Jerry did not look happy being booked at MPD.


761123_Memphis Police_Lewis mug shot.JPG
Jerry Lee Lewis, Memphis Police Department, Tuesday, November 23, 1976


A little over 9 months later, Elvis was gone forever. And that's the way it went.

Hope this helps -- I really know what I'm talking about. ;-)


Not quite on this subject. :wink:

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 am

Doc are you saying the Killer is lying :?: I dare you to say that to his face! He will whoop your arse er ass! :smt005

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 pm

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Doc are you saying the Killer is lying :?: I dare you to say that to his face! He will whoop your arse er ass! :smt005


Haha, that was funny :)

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Doc are you saying the Killer is lying :?: I dare you to say that to his face! He will whoop your arse er ass! :smt005

He's ... misremembering.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 pm

If its true that Jerry Lee was drunk and waving a loaded gun at security Robert Loyd, its lucky he wasn't shot dead.

I find it hard to believe that Jerry Lee was waving a loaded gun about, maybe shouting and acting drunk but not with a loaded gun in his hand.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Bodie wrote:If its true that Jerry Lee was drunk and waving a loaded gun at security Robert Loyd, its lucky he wasn't shot dead.

I find it hard to believe that Jerry Lee was waving a loaded gun about, maybe shouting and acting drunk but not with a loaded gun in his hand.

Lewis was waving a gun around, but apparently did not point it at anyone.

The news report clearly states police found him in the car with the gun.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Bodie wrote:If its true that Jerry Lee was drunk and waving a loaded gun at security Robert Loyd, its lucky he wasn't shot dead.

I find it hard to believe that Jerry Lee was waving a loaded gun about, maybe shouting and acting drunk but not with a loaded gun in his hand.


Jerry Lee Lewis is known to have had problems with guns.

If i'm remembering correctly he once had a gun in his possesion and accidently shot his bass player.

He is also known for having had problems with alcohol and pills.

It's amazing he's still alive.

The story is very believable.

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Anyone know why this was moved to Off Topic?

Re: About Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm

My favorite Jerry Lee Lewis song -
"Lewis Boogie"
phpBB [video]



25 Years Of Jerry Lee Lewis - 1982 TV Special ! 8)
phpBB [video]