Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits of the 70's - New FTD!?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:51 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:When did you speak with producer Roger Semon?

When did you? The only version of My Way issued on single was Rapid City ...

Unless you spoke to Roger, you cannot make this statement with any credibility.

Matthew wrote:The included version of My Way is an error, no question.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:08 am

It must be a slow Friday night in the Golden State.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:17 am

It's not the first time the incorrect live version of My Way has been used.

"Hitstory" also inadvertently used the inferior April 25, 1977 performance too.
With the booklet noting a "Recording Date" of "June 21, 1977."

Coincidence? Nah.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Coincidence? Nah.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
It is also possible the April 1977 recording was chosen as it comes from the same tour as the version of "Unchained Melody," which was released in Elvis' lifetime on [b]Moody Blue. The June 1977 recording was issued posthumously.[/b]

And what on earth has the fact that the June recording was issued posthumously got to do with its lack of inclusion here? The April version that is included was issued posthumously as well.

The June 1977 My Way as a bonus track would make sense because it was a posthumous single - hence the "bonus" (a single not released during Elvis's lifetime). There is no point whatsoever in having the April track, and it makes no sense in being in the compilation. Unless it is an extra insult to FTD buyers: "Guess what, folks, we're including a bonus track! Yes, you guessed it, it's a recording you have already - and not even the version that fits the compilation!"

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:53 am

poormadpeter wrote:"Guess what, folks, we're including a bonus track! Yes, you guessed it, it's a recording you have already - and not even the version that fits the compilation!"

At least someone has spoken to Roger!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Hss#t=185s :lol:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:56 am

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:"Guess what, folks, we're including a bonus track! Yes, you guessed it, it's a recording you have already - and not even the version that fits the compilation!"

I think most people who would like to speak to him about this release are likely to not speak to him nicely!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:38 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I think most people who would like to speak to him about this release are likely to not speak to him nicely!

I think that that is a pretty safe assumption.

And also a very good assessment of the thinking of whoever put this compilation together.

Brian

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 am

Matthew wrote:It must be a slow Friday night in the Golden State.

And an even slower Sunday somewhere near Christchurch.

Instead of a lame joke you could have acknowledged your rhetoric was off-base. Oh well.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 am

elvisalisellers wrote:It's not the first time the incorrect live version of My Way has been used.

Coincidence? Nah.

Every time I look into one of your "discoveries," the argument is revealed to be fallacious.

Hitstory, a 2005 collection which couples the chart-busting ELV1S (2002) and 2nd to None (2003), actually does not have a version of "My Way" at all, unless you live in the U.K. It seems the U.S. and U.K. were each afforded a "Bonus" -- that pesky noun again -- CD, and this resulted in two different 30-track listings. Neither of them held #1 or #2 hits, either.

But such distractions on your part only serve to prove that the points I made about FTD's Hits of the '70s, a compilation of minor interest except to the hard core fan base, were right on the money. So thank you!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 am

Matthew wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Coincidence? Nah.

0-for-2!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:59 am

Matthew wrote:

Strike three! Grab some pine, meat!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Alexander wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:All the complaints about this release seem a tad over-baked. No FTD collection is a mandatory purchase. And there are over 100 titles to choose from!

The set appears to be a sentimental release driven by Roger Semon, and geared more for the European Presley fan base. That said, if you like '70s Elvis, this is a very nice collection of some of his very best recordings of the period in great quality, and the ones that the average fan heard the most in that decade, as they were meant for radio play.

FTD over the years got a lot of unjust critisism and redicule, however I think critisism is right this time. How good intentions may be: the contents of previously released masters do not justify the regular high price the collectors label is charging for the release.

Then don't buy it!

Hope this helps solve the issue.

Ironically, I understand that "orders have been good" for this release.

No-one needs you to solve any problem, as there is not. Clearly you are still not ready to accept other peoples opinion. How sad your life must be. And as I already stated in this thread: I will pass this one!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:It's not the first time the incorrect live version of My Way has been used.

Coincidence? Nah.

Every time I look into one of your "discoveries," the argument is revealed to be fallacious.

Hitstory, a 2005 collection which couples the chart-busting ELV1S (2001) and 2nd to None (2002), actually does not have a version of "My Way" at all, unless you live in the U.K. It seems the U.S. and U.K. were each afforded a "Bonus" -- that pesky noun again -- CD, and this resulted in two different 30-track listings. Neither of them held #1 or #2 hits, either.

But such distractions on your part only serve to prove that the points I made about FTD's Hits of the '70s, a compilation of minor interest except to the hard core fan base, were right on the money. So thank you!

Uh, Doc, not for nothing , but "Elvis: 30 #1 Hits" and Second To None" were released in the states in 2002 and 2003, respectively.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:54 pm

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Coincidence? Nah.

Hitstory, a 2005 collection which couples the chart-busting ELV1S (2002) and 2nd to None (2003), actually does not have a version of "My Way" at all, unless you live in the U.K. It seems the U.S. and U.K. were each afforded a "Bonus" -- that pesky noun again -- CD, and this resulted in two different 30-track listings. Neither of them held #1 or #2 hits, either.

Uh, Doc, not for nothing , but "Elvis: 30 #1 Hits" and Second To None" were released in the states in 2002 and 2003, respectively.

Typo corrected. What are your thoughts on the content of my reply?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Coincidence? Nah.

Typo corrected. What are your thoughts on the content of my reply?

Right on the money and always the Best !!!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:25 pm

The "if you don't like it don't buy it" is a little dictatorial. By that same line we couldn't criticize even harum scarum movie. Or any movie, record or book or piece in the world. Hey man, I don't like guernica from Picasso. And the answer would say; Hey, if you don't like it close your eyes!!

That don't mask the fact that this is a surprising release to say the least. By using already remastered material the sound department cost must be close to€0,so if it sells enough it could generate benefits to invert on future "normal" FTD releases , and that could be very positive. On the other hand, if it sells poor and fails to recoup its cost, it'll be a dangerous release....

There's an obscurity on some details of FTD that puts us always in the speculation team. We don't even know how many units are sold of each release (it'll be awesome to know it), and rarely engineers talk about technical details (I know Sebastian and team do work HARD). I would like to know so many things....

But of course the main thing was, is and will be the music, and there FTD almost always is spot on, top of the list!!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Coincidence? Nah.

The third disc of the UK Hitstory is a compilation of UK top 40 singles by Elvis. Bearing that in mind could you please elaborate as to how the April 1977 performance of My Way fits into that scenario?

It should also be noted that your information is incorrect - The US 3rd disc contained just 19 tracks, and UK edition contained 29 tracks - neither contain 30 tracks.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Coincidence? Nah.

Every time I look into one of your "discoveries,"...

Your pursuit of knowledge is commendable.
drjohncarpenter wrote:Hitstory, a 2005 collection which couples the chart-busting ELV1S (2002) and 2nd to None (2003), actually does not have a version of "My Way" at all, unless you live in the U.K. It seems the U.S. and U.K. were each afforded a "Bonus" -- that pesky noun again -- CD, and this resulted in two different 30-track listings. Neither of them held #1 or #2 hits, either...

But that is just gibberish.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Incase it's been missed, the version of My Way on the FTD in question is an error, Roger that? Indefensible really, though some do try! :wink:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Just one man's opinion: Haven't we beat this to death enough? Let's move on.., purchase the CD or don't purchase ir.

rlj smt136

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:54 am

poormadpeter wrote:It should also be noted that your information is incorrect - The US 3rd disc contained just 19 tracks, and UK edition contained 29 tracks - neither contain 30 tracks.

I misread the Wikipedia entry, but it should be noted your admonishment is, sadly, also incorrect, as the UK does have 30 tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitstory#US_edition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitstory#European_edition

However, typos aside, my core point about the US edition -- the important one -- NOT having a version of "My Way" is spot-on, and negates the use of Hitstory as some kind of parallel.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:58 am

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:46 am

memfisking wrote:
minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Typo corrected. What are your thoughts on the content of my reply?

Right on the money and always the Best !!!

The operation to get your lips surgically removed from the Docs ass obviously didn't work then? :smt008

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jealous ?

I don't actually take it, I give it, so if you want some action, I'll be happy to assist you.