Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Review of Prince From Another Planet - JAT

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 am

Prince From Another Planet - Review by Joseph A. Tunzi

On June 16 and 17, 1972, at the Chicago Stadium, I witnessed Elvis on stage. Those amazing shows were part of the very same tour that Sony is representing on the new Sony Legacy release, Prince from Another Planet, a 40th anniversary deluxe edition containing 2 cds and a DVD. The shows featured on the set are the afternoon and evening performances recorded on June 10, 1972 at the legendary Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Elvis did 4 sold out shows total. Raking in over 80,000 people in attendance. At the time this was another attendance record held by Elvis. RCA also set a record, their idea was to rush release an album of the evening show making it available within 10 days or so after the original performance. This was a first. As I remember it the lines to purchase the album were out the door at the local record stores. This was happening all across the U.S. fans lined up waiting to pick up the LP.

It was a great time for Elvis and a great time to be a fan. Burning Love would be released about 6 weeks later and would be Elvis Presley’s last No. 1 Cashbox and No.2 in Billboard. The year ended with the release of the Golden Globe winner Elvis On Tour. The award winning documentary about the April 1972 sold out concert tour of Elvis Presley. Before I get to carried away let’s get to the new Sony Legacy release.

This new version includes the afternoon show, which was not released in its entirety until 1997 to put it together with the evening show plus a bonus dvd is an excellent idea. The DVD shows actual film footage taken by a fan in the audience. Sony acquired the film and added it to the DVD. The audio on the dvd exhibit’s the whole show while the video represents about 20 minutes of the actual 60 minute performance. In other words there is about 40 minutes of the DVD with zero picture. There is no doubt you will be watching and wishing there was more film footage. But that’s not going to happen. That said what you do see and hear is amazing!

Sony also went the extra mile by including about 10 minutes of the 20 minute New York press conference Elvis did prior to the shows. This 10 minute footage is unedited and runs exactly as WNBC gave it to Sony. A 30 minute documentary about the shows is included offering an excellent insight by musician Lenny Kaye, who witnessed the press conference and 2 shows 40 years ago as a rock journalist for Cavalier Magazine he also contributed to a 5000 word essay in the deluxe packaging which naturally contains some great photographs.

Finally, the audio on both shows from the original 16 track tapes is excellently remixed by Recording Engineer, Michael Brauer. It gives the sound a fresh approach without losing some the original mixes of the shows. Showcasing how great a singer and artist Elvis Presley is . The very best in his class. I recall a review at the time in Rolling Stone Magazine about the original album saying it was a “damn fine record.” I echo those same words today on the new Sony Legacy release. “It’s still a damn fine record!” Go out and get it.

Re: Review of Prince From Another Planet - JAT

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 am

Why does the review have to force Tunzi into it? He starts off by talking about the Chicago shows he saw on the same tour? Who cares?? Get to the meat and potatoes!!! decent review...would have enjoyed more details (especially on the sound)...can't wait to get this.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am

This is not a review but rather a "preview" of what is to come.This tells me nothing about the new set. I could have read this on Amazon.

RKS

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:43 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:This is not a review but rather a "preview" of what is to come.This tells me nothing about the new set. I could have read this on Amazon.

RKS

Exactly! That being said, though, I will be ordering my own copy this afternoon - YAY!!!

ETA (Edited To Add): I just placed my order! Can't wait to get it!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 am

Prince From Another Planet - Review by Joseph A. Tunzi

More to the point - the post above is basically a "description" of what's on the upcoming set - NOT a review of what's on the set.

I will be ordering my own copy this afternoon -

Tony,

Why don't you just wait and do it the 'old fashioned' way - pick it up at the store? I'm sure it will be at a Walmart or Target or Best Buy.

I am looking forward to picking this up at the store and taking it home and listening to it.

RKS

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:02 am

So still we don't get the entire press conference.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Johnny 99 wrote:So still we don't get the entire press conference.

Unfortunately :(
Did You see that ? :

The boxset looks amazing ! This picture was posted on Elvis channel on Facebook.
Have a nice weekend everyone !
Patrick

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:18 am

Looks fabulous.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm not particularly looking forward to watching 40 minutes of blank screen.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Nice review on Elvis Australia site...

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm

it's strange how the press conference is still incomplete what is going on ?

WNBC i'm guessing is a tv station ? what about all the other sources not willing to part with the footage ? or don't have it kept any more

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Tony.. wrote:I'm not particularly looking forward to watching 40 minutes of blank screen.

Same here....whats the point in this.
I hope there is a watch footage option only but doubt it.
Will definately make my own 20 minute footage only dvd when the set arrives.

BTW I didnt like this line from review :
""however I find no obvious difference in the sound, so there is certainly nothing radically different in the mix""

REVIEW:
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/review_prince_from_another_planet.shtml

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm

KingElvis wrote:BTW I didnt like this line from review :
""however I find no obvious difference in the sound, so there is certainly nothing radically different in the mix""

REVIEW:
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/review_prince_from_another_planet.shtml

Me either!!!!

There is a VERY distinct sound difference

I have now updated the review after listening to the original mixes via the CD only release today.

Initially I was listening for differences to the previous releases as this release was promoted as being re-mixed by Michael Brauer who mixes concerts releases for artists like 'Coldplay' etc -- Initially I did not 'notice' any going on memory, partly because I was looking for problems as I had heard some MP3 samples that Sony had released online that too me did not sound good but I knew that there was some 'fault/unexplained reason' for that and my thinking has now been vindicated, and partly as it is not a radical remix -- however -- there is a distinct sound difference, as I found out on switching to the CD only release with the original mixes. As I said, certainly nothing radically different [Like say A Little Less Conversation / Elvis Vs. JXL] but there is an effect on Elvis voice and the music that after much going back and forth I conclude both are good but the new mix is preferable and clearer. But I could easily listen to either.

One thing that is very noticeable is the at the start of That's All Right of the Afternoon show the crowd roar is not increased in volume for a few seconds on the 'Prince From Another Planet' set as it is on the original mix.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Sounds like its a good release. DT thanks for the review.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 pm

i still gotta wait for more then a week or 2 :( till elvismatters has it available

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Why is Joe Pirzada reviewing-previewing the set? Its 1970s so he cant legally put it out?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Tony.. wrote:I'm not particularly looking forward to watching 40 minutes of blank screen.

Is it 40 minutes, or just the songs used in the footage?

This doen't sound ideal to me, on TFC box they used audience footage.
I even prefer that compared to a black screen.

A picture slide show would have been ok?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm looking forward to it don't get me wrong but Elvis fans are probably the only fans Sony dare to present a DVD to which contains amateur film and 40 minutes of blank screen........

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Robert wrote:Is it 40 minutes, or just the songs used in the footage?

It is 20 minutes in bits and pieces and so therefore also 40 minutes in bits and pieces.

In between when there is no film the screen goes blank but the audio continues and keeps going in sync and when the next piece of film comes along it just continues on as if there had been no break. Syncing this up must have taken some work!

I think this way it is very good, you know the saying, 'less is more', I would think that a slide show would be meaningless and very distracting. At least with a blank screen you listen to the music without distraction and it makes it extra ‘dramatic’ when the film starts up again. Each person on viewing it may form their own opinion but this is how I see it. The film is the important thing and being with sound makes it special, but yes it is only in parts over the hour.

As it is you can view the start of the concert including all of 'That's All Right' and then parts the way through it, but when the screen goes blank you can still enjoy the music. Sure it would have been nice to have the entire concert but that is not the case and never will be. All that was filmed is on the DVD. [Sony make it clear in the notes that they are not holding anything back, everything that was filmed is on the DVD]

The 'blank' spots are explained in the booklet as being caused by when the camera operator has had to change tape cartridge - which clearly took some time to do - however I think as there is only 20 minutes in total and the length of the blank spots vary that the camera operator has needed also to preserve tape - and indeed he succeeded as he managed not only to film Elvis opening his cape at the end of the concert but then his leaving the stage which is kind of important, somehow it just seems to make it 'compete', certainly better.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info Elvis Australia :) Sounds to me like it's done well.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I find it funny that the same fans who bitch and complain when Sony does edit Elvis' work are the ones who are complaining about the DVD not being edited... and it isn't even out yet. WOW! What it must be like living in your negative, glass-half-empty world...
BTW... I'm willing to take bets starting today that MRS has a DVD coming out before Christmas that contains the songs all edited together... PLACE YOUR BETS!!!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:39 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I'm willing to take bets starting today that MRS has a DVD coming out before Christmas

JANUARY!! FYI

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

When in the world was this picture discovered? Did it debut in the CD booklet?

(from Elvis Australia)

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi David,

On an earlier thread I think we both hoped the mp3 files on soundcloud were the main cause of the headache inducing sound quality. Having now heard the cd,s on decent hifi and in there proper state I.e lossless. Do you think they are heavily compressed? One thing I did like on the mp3 file though was the effect on Elvis voice which I thought enhanced the performance. I am looking forward to properly hearing this release soon, next week fingers crossed :-)

Jamie

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Detailed contends on the dvd.....from back cover of new release: