Off Topic Messages

Guy Fawkes Night Nov. 5th

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:29 am

When i was a kid back in the 70s, this English tradition seems to have been forgotten about over the years.

The bonfires family's used to have and the fireworks display in the back garden have now just turned into memories. I guess if you had a bonfire in your backgarden (if you have one what with so many people living in flats) the neighbours would call the Fire Brigade.

I know there are a number of big Firework displays on or around November the 5th but New Years Eve is now more associated with Firework displays.

I can't remember the last time i saw some kids with a homemade guy out on the street asking 'penny for the guy', i guess its against the law now to do that or if any kids did they would probably get mugged.

A sad state of todays Britain.

Re: Guy Fawkes Night Nov. 5th

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

I remember in about 1984 or 1985 I was in East-London and there was a great fireworks display set on music.
You had to pay a Pound to enter the field where it was held.
It's much better than the New Year's Eve fireworks here that just makes a lot of noise.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 am

I still have a few sparklers and fireworks on bonfire night round a firepit in the garden...good times

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:42 pm

When my Son was younger (he's 23 now) we used to go to Roundhay Park in Leeds.
They put on a fantastic bonfire, firework display, a local radio station plays all night (Magic 828) there is a funfair and loads of food stalls.......brilliant night

Its also my Mums' birthday, celebrate a bit 'quieter' these days.....lol

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Bodie wrote:When i was a kid back in the 70s, this English tradition seems to have been forgotten about over the years.

The bonfires family's used to have and the fireworks display in the back garden have now just turned into memories. I guess if you had a bonfire in your backgarden (if you have one what with so many people living in flats) the neighbours would call the Fire Brigade.

I know there are a number of big Firework displays on or around November the 5th but New Years Eve is now more associated with Firework displays.

I can't remember the last time i saw some kids with a homemade guy out on the street asking 'penny for the guy', i guess its against the law now to do that or if any kids did they would probably get mugged.

I'm not sure that it's a sad state of today's Britain that kids no longer can buy fireworks themselves. or that parents take them to organised displays instead because they are cheaper than buying your own, better displays and infinitely more safe.

Or perhaps it is that the people of Britain have now become wise to the fact that we would have more reason to celebrate if Fawkes's plan to blow up the houses of parliament had actually succeeded.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 am

I don't know where you lot live, but Guy Fawkes' night is still a very big tradition around my way in South East London/Kent. There's lots of local public firework displays and bonfires plus the traditional back garden ones. It's a cultural thing - I guess if you live in the other parts of London or the UK where native English people are the minority, these kind of traditional events just don't exist anymore.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:When i was a kid back in the 70s, this English tradition seems to have been forgotten about over the years.

I'm not sure that it's a sad state of today's Britain that kids no longer can buy fireworks themselves. or that parents take them to organised displays instead because they are cheaper than buying your own, better displays and infinitely more safe.

Or perhaps it is that the people of Britain have now become wise to the fact that we would have more reason to celebrate if Fawkes's plan to blow up the houses of parliament had actually succeeded.

I coulda won a bet on that post! :smt002 You're right, you're right, in some ways (though he was rather violent, and I don't go for that), but his intentions were seemingly not against the people, as I understand it, and have understood it. It was an internal struggle (Protestant vs Catholic), though, and not all that noble - he was no John Brown. But he was treated very, very badly when apprehended! So, it's not really something to celebrate.

But, it's been quite a . . . while, and it's a cultural thing, and it's unfortunate that you don't do it anymore (in most places), because it's a tradition for this time of year, sort of in the Halloween tradition. I first read about it in a book of Halloween and related traditions. I thought it was pretty set in stone, but I guess not. We still do Halloween, big time! (Americans just love holidays.)

Well, whatever it is you do about now, Happy (It)! Today and tomorrow are known as Dia De Los Muertos, "Day of The Dead" in the Mexican tradition, and it's kinda big out here. People build ofrendas, altars, for dead relatives, so when they come around, there'll be food and sugar (often shaped into skulls, and similar things). It's really cool!

This picture is SCARY! (The Veil is thinnest right now, between the dead and the living . . . and they come around. So, it's good to welcome them! :smt006 )

rjm

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Listen to this link --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8gIzkCHvK4#t=4m11s

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

OMG, Doc! Ever since I was a teenager, I was trying to figure out what "Fifth of November" referred to!! I mean, FOREVER!!!

THANK YOU!!!

{mind blown . . . all this time!}

rjm

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

OMG, Doc! Ever since I was a teenager, I was trying to figure out what "Fifth of November" referred to!! I mean, FOREVER!!!

THANK YOU!!!

{mind blown . . . all this time!}

rjm

This is ... what I do!

::rocks

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks Doc for that link. Never heard that Lennon song before.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Bodie wrote:Thanks Doc for that link. Never heard that Lennon song before.

He has a lot of very good ones.