Post here your Elvis' pictures

Las Vegas, early 1973?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 am

This photo was in Tunzi´s Elvis Sessions II book (page 299). The photo caption says: "After rehearsing at the Las Vegas Hilton in January 1972".

However, I found the same photo in the May 1973 issue of Movie World magazine. The article says this photo was taken in November 1972 at the Hilton. Elvis was there to see Ann-Margret´s show and was photographed on his way to Ann-Margret´s dressing room after the show.

But this date is surely wrong. Didn´t Ann-Margret fall off stage in November 1972? And her next season at the Hilton started ten weeks later? So what is the right date for this photo, taken on the second night of Ann-Margret´s Hilton engagement? When was her opening night?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Las Vegas, early 1973?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 am

Sorry, I don't have no info. But could you post the rest of the article?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 am

Looks like November '72.
Last edited by javierTCB on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:52 am

The fool wrote:This photo was in Tunzi´s Elvis Sessions II book (page 299). The photo caption says: "After rehearsing at the Las Vegas Hilton in January 1972".

However, I found the same photo in the May 1973 issue of Movie World magazine. The article says this photo was taken in November 1972 at the Hilton. Elvis was there to see Ann-Margret´s show and was photographed on his way to Ann-Margret´s dressing room after the show.

But this date is surely wrong. Didn´t Ann-Margret fall off stage in November 1972? And her next season at the Hilton started ten weeks later? So what is the right date for this photo, taken on the second night of Ann-Margret´s Hilton engagement? When was her opening night?

730500_Movie World.jpg

Photo attributions in the Tunzi books are often inaccurate, the above is another example. The 1973 magazine's November 1972 claim is correct; the photo is likely from November 28, 1972, after Ann's opening night show at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Ann was severely hurt in a September 1972 fall during a performance in Lake Tahoe. She ended up being tough-as-nails after her accident, returning to the stage ten weeks after suffering terrible injuries.

720905_Sahara Tahoe PR photo FRONT.JPG
720905_Sahara Tahoe PR photo BACK.JPG
Ann-Margret PR photo, Sahara Tahoe engagement beginning Tuesday, September 5, 1972
Note: a planned taping for an NBC-TV special was postponed because of her accident.

720914_Bryan Times p 9.JPG
Bryan Times, September 14, 1972
A UPI report on the Tahoe incident and surgery that day.

721211_Milwaukee Sentinel p25.JPG
Milwaukee Sentinel, December 11, 1972
Nationally-syndicated columnist Earl Wilson's report on Ann's 11-28-1972 OS at the Hilton.

Ann-Margret Accident Chronology
9-11-1972 - Sahara Tahoe fall, six days into two-week engagement
11-28-1972 - Las Vegas Hilton comeback booking, opening night

It seems certain Elvis attended Ann's late show on opening night. And in her 1994 autobiography, My Story, Ann recalled something unusual he did at that time:

When Roger and I left our LA home after Thanksgiving 1972, and headed for the Las Vegas Hilton, we were consumed by the anxiety and press attention surrounding my comeback. We arrived at the hotel several days early in order to settle in before opening night on November 28. Elvis happened to be the headliner when we checked in [sic], and was ensconced in the performer’s suite atop the hotel. We were in a suite a few floors below. I regarded Elvis’ presence as an extra bonus. I was pleased to know he was nearby, and I hoped we could connect somehow ... late one night as Roger and I entertained friends in our suite, Elvis and a few of the guys came by unexpectedly.

Despite the crowd, Elvis managed to get me alone at one end of the living room, where we conducted a conversation in hushed voices. It was kind of funny. I was worried about talking to him, while not being rude to my other guests, but he wanted to get personal. Suddenly he wanted to play catch up. He wanted to know all about the accident, my recovery, Daddy.

It was so easy for us to lapse into the closeness we’d always shared, but it was clear from some of Elvis’ comments that he really missed having me in his life. He missed having a friend, someone who understood him as well as someone he trusted. Neither of us noticed that Roger repeatedly walked by and tinkered with the thermostat on the wall in an effort to eavesdrop. We laughed about it afterward.

I eventually told Elvis all I could and then had to go back to our guests. He also had to prepare for his show [sic]. I knew that I’d hear from him again, though. And I did.

Late that night the phone rang in our bedroom. I knew who was on the other end, and I was pleased that Roger was in the living room next door. If he had answered the telephone, I suppose Elvis would have hung up, just like in the movies.

Elvis told me how great it had been seeing me earlier. I looked wonderful. His prayers for my recovery had been answered. But then his tone changed. Saying he was lonely, he asked if he could see me. It was a question I’d anticipated since afternoon but hoped that he wouldn’t really ask.

“You know I can’t." “I know,” he said. "But I just want you to know that I still feel the same.”

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 pm

The girl in question looks more like Joyce Bova than Linda to me

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Surely this is Elvis on his way to humiliating paternity tests after the Patricia Parker allegations in 71. Was it 71?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:31 pm

chris j wrote:Surely this is Elvis on his way to humiliating paternity tests after the Patricia Parker allegations in 71. Was it 71?

No, that is definitely not on the way to the paternity tests for Patricia Parker. There are photos around the net and probably other forums regarding this paternity test and Elvis looks a LOT different than he does here.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 pm

Here's the pic in colour - it does look like it could be Joyce. Also, I've posted a second one - could it be the same occasion?
Elvis & Joyce.jpg

elvis joyce 2.jpg

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm

The second one is from December 11 1971, Dick Grob's wedding :

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Here's the pic in colour - it does look like it could be Joyce. Also, I've posted a second one - could it be the same occasion?
Elvis & Joyce.jpg

elvis joyce 2.jpg

No.

The first photo is from 11-28-1972, Elvis and Joyce Bova stopped seeing each other circa Jan-Feb 1972. The woman in this photo is likely a fan who was waiting to say hello as Elvis and Sonny exited. She's far too tall to be Joyce in any case.

The second photo appears to be from Dick Grob's Palm Springs wedding, 12-11-1970.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: You can see Grob to Presley's left.

He's sitting with his bride

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Photo attributions in the Tunzi books are often inaccurate, the above is another example. The 1973 magazine's November 1972 claim is correct; the photo is likely from November 28, 1972, Ann's opening night at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Ann fell and hurt herself in September 1972 at the Sahara Tahoe. She ended up being tough-as-nails after her accident, returning to the stage ten weeks after suffering terrible injuries.

Thank you for your detailed research, Doc! I was counting on you.

The article says Elvis attended the second night´s show. So that means this photo was taken on November 29, right?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:39 pm

AlohaEagle wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: You can see Grob to Presley's left.

He's sitting with his bride

You're probably correct, as the photo depicts the opening of wedding presents at the 1970 wedding. I've updated my post.

But anyone may see the gentleman to Elvis' left looks a lot like Grob. Any idea if Dick had a brother at the wedding?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:42 pm

The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Photo attributions in the Tunzi books are often inaccurate, the above is another example. The 1973 magazine's November 1972 claim is correct; the photo is likely from November 28, 1972, Ann's opening night at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Ann fell and hurt herself in September 1972 at the Sahara Tahoe. She ended up being tough-as-nails after her accident, returning to the stage ten weeks after suffering terrible injuries.

Thank you for your detailed research, Doc! I was counting on you.

The article says Elvis attended the second night´s show. So that means this photo was taken on November 29, right?

My pleasure.

Ann implies Elvis made the opening night, so if the magazine statement is accurate, my guess is they did an early and a late performance on 11-28-1972.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 pm

Rocker wrote:Sorry, I don't have no info. But could you post the rest of the article?

Here´s the second part of the article and the cover.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36 pm

Thank you!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 pm

The April 1973 issue of Rona Barrett´s Hollywood magazine had a lengthy article on this Ann-Margret´s comeback season in Las Vegas. This photo is included in the article.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 pm

The fool wrote:The April 1973 issue of Rona Barrett´s Hollywood magazine had a lengthy article on this Ann-Margret´s comeback season in Las Vegas. This photo is included in the article.

IMG2_0017.jpg

Look at those eyes! Her husband "laughed lustily"? Jealously is more likely. ;-)

Is the article worth uploading? If there's more on Elvis being there that would be interesting to read, or even if there just more on Ann's comeback, and lovely photos of her.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Is the article worth uploading? If there's more on Elvis being there that would be interesting to read, or even if there just more on Ann's comeback, and lovely photos of her.

I did not see any other mention of Elvis. But there are a lot of photos from her show. I will post the article in my magazine forum, where I have already posted an Elvis article (Long Beach 1972) from this same magazine.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:54 pm

The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I did not see any other mention of Elvis. But there are a lot of photos from her show. I will post the article in my magazine forum, where I have already posted an Elvis article (Long Beach 1972) from this same magazine.

That would be very much appreciated -- thank you!

Ann is one of a kind, kind of like her old boyfriend was. ;-)