Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

That's All Right as opening song after 1972

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 am

As far as I know, Elvis only used That's All Right as an opening song three times after the 1972 summer tour.

July 24, 1975 - Ashville, NC
August 20, 1975 - Las Vegas, NV - Closing Show (Melody /w See See Rider)
May 3, 1977 - Sanigaw, MI

I used to awe reading Elvis had used That's All Right as the opener years after the MSG show. (My favorite opener of That's All Right comes from the orginial MSG show issued in '72) Looking back, however . . .

July 24, 1975: Sounds really sloppy at the start. You'd think in '75, he might have gotten with Burton or somebody and said - "We're doing That's All Right in Ashville tonight, due to being here three days." Maybe the tape is dragging a little, but it just sounds wrong. I used to try to like this version, since its a pretty knockout concert with rare songs to boot. There is just something wierd, I can't put my hand on it.

August 20, 1975 - closing show: This show opener makes my believe the Elvis story that Elvis begged Parker to get him out of Vegas, because Elvis sounds like he's trying to rush out of the door as fast as he can. Shockingly better than the Ashville version, until he goes nuts during the See See Rider melody. Second best version of these three.

May 3, 1977 - Actually the best version of all three. Kind of wierd, as Elvis wasn't doing any type of rehearsing by this point. Even stranger that it actually sounds natural compared to the two in '75. Also you can notice the band seems to change the tempo a little right before he starts singing. Sounds wierd that he cared more about doing That's All Right as an opener right here than he did in 1975, but that's the vibe I get.

Re: That's All Right as opening song after 1972

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm

fg76 wrote:
May 3, 1977 - Actually the best version of all three. Kind of wierd, as Elvis wasn't doing any type of rehearsing by this point. Even stranger that it actually sounds natural compared to the two in '75. Also you can notice the band seems to change the tempo a little right before he starts singing. Sounds wierd that he cared more about doing That's All Right as an opener right here than he did in 1975, but that's the vibe I get.

Didn't he make this "adjustment" because he had just been there a few days before and decided to change it up a bit?

rlj

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
fg76 wrote:

Didn't he make this "adjustment" because he had just been there a few days before and decided to change it up a bit?

rlj

i'm not sure about that, elvis was in Richmond 1 week before the ftd release we know by now, And the setlist didnt change that much, same goes for the memphis concerts that he did the same month (He did 5 shows there in that month)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Didn't he make this "adjustment" because he had just been there a few days before and decided to change it up a bit?

Not sure why he changed the opening number other than the fact that he had just played "Sanigaw" on April 25th.