Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Guitar Solo on "Trouble"

Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 pm

How is playing the solo on Trouble on the show in Las Vegas, August 20 1973??
Is it Burton? Never heard him use that effect on his guitar before or since....

Re: Guitar Solo on "Trouble"

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 am

It's got to be James. IIRC, it sounds like some kind of "fuzz" pedal effect.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:15 am

It was a fuzz pedal adding distortion...I actually liked this addition to the setlist, but it wasn't menacing like the master or 68 version.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:19 am

Didn't he use this same effect during the 1970 rehearsal of the X version of "Stranger In My Own Home Town" ?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:23 am

James Burton used a fuzz pedal on a number of Presley recordings in the early 70s, such as "Patch it Up", "Faded Love", and "I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water". It would appear live from time to time as well, one of my favourites being "I Can't Stop Loving You" from Madison Square Garden.

I also believe he rocks a fuzz for "Promised Land".

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:29 am

Matthew wrote:James Burton used a fuzz pedal on a number of Presley recordings in the early 70s, such as "Patch it Up", "Faded Love", and "I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water". It would appear live from time to time as well, one of my favourites being "I Can't Stop Loving You" from Madison Square Garden.

Good post!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 am

bquick wrote:It was a fuzz pedal adding distortion...I actually liked this addition to the setlist, but it wasn't menacing like the master or 68 version.

That was up to Elvis, but by the summer of 1973 he was in a different place.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bquick wrote:It was a fuzz pedal adding distortion...I actually liked this addition to the setlist, but it wasn't menacing like the master or 68 version.

Yes, he was in Las Vegas.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 am

chevyford wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes, he was in Las Vegas.

It was cool, five years after Singer, that he at least put it back in the setlist for one Vegas session.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Matthew wrote:James Burton used a fuzz pedal on a number of Presley recordings in the early 70s, such as "Patch it Up", "Faded Love", and "I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water". It would appear live from time to time as well, one of my favourites being "I Can't Stop Loving You" from Madison Square Garden.

I don't recall that sound on any other recording? :shock:

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I don't care for the slurry rendition on the Closing Night FTD, but the version performed on August 20 is solid. At least they worked up a fully realized arrangement for the summer '73 Vegas engagement. I wish Trouble had stayed in the live show a bit longer. It would've been a welcome addition to the Live On Stage In Memphis album.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:33 pm

How about the version from May 1977, when he stops because he doesn't think he can sing high enough and proclaims it a nice idea? Far deeper into that other (bad) place.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Rockin_John wrote:

I don't recall that sound on any other recording? :shock:

Then maybe you aren't listening hard enough. James used a Fender fuzz/wah pedal on many early 1970s recordings with Elvis & he also used the "wah" effect during "Hound Dog" during the MSG shows and used a fuzz for "I Can't Stop Loving You" during the same gig and he used the "wah" effect on "Hound Dog" during AFH.

You can hear the "fuzz" on (and this is by NO means a complete list NOR is it in any order):

"Patch It Up" (studio version)
"It's Only Love" (studio version)
"I Gotta Feelin'"
"Where Did They Go, Lord?"
"If You Talk In Your Sleep" (wah only)
"Promised Land" (fuzz only)
"Green, Green Grass Of Home" (MX-90 "Phaser" effect which sounds like a very slow wah pedal)
"A Hundred Years From Now" (informal recording)
"Cindy, Cindy" (fuzz)
"Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands Off Of It" (fuzz effect)
"Faded Love" (Original Unedited Version)
"Tomorrow Never Comes"
"I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water"
"Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On"
"Merry Christmas, Baby"
"You Asked Me To" (Wah effect only)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:31 pm

It was certainly nice to have another oldie in the set list that wasn't a throwaway. It seems ironic that three of the oldies with a decent arrangement (Big Hunk, Trouble and My baby Left Me) stayed in the set list for such a short amount of time!

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm

That's Eddie Hinton on "Where Did They Go, Lord" and also "Merry Christmas Baby."

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Daryl wrote:That's Eddie Hinton on "Where Did They Go, Lord" and also "Merry Christmas Baby."

Daryl,

You are correct but James is there, also. I think that Eddie Hinton's playing on "Merry Christmas, Baby" ruined the whole song because Elvis wanted JAMES to play that solo - NOT Eddie ("Dig it, James!" he says during the solo). And, I had forgotten that Eddie had played on "Where Did They Go, Lord?". That's a cool "volume swell"/fuzz effect that he does. I'd be interested to find out what kind of electric guitar that Eddie was playing.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:52 pm

It´s Eddie Hinton on "Whole lotta shakin´ goin´ on" aswell.
Seems to be playing slide on that one.

Also "I just can´t help believing" has a "fuzz" effect.
The live version of "Patch it up" also features fuzzguitar.

You can also hear on various recordings both live and studio that James uses distortion on quite a few numbers.

Lennart

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Whatever JB 'fuzzes' on the "Runaway" solo I really dig!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Doesn't every live version of TROUBLE in 1973 have that fuzz solo?
Sounds to me that James has his fuzz turned on at the beginning of THAT'S ALL RIGHT in Boston.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Just love James burton...

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Don´t forget "Way down". Definitely distorted guitar on that one.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:51 pm

listen after 3:08 till the end..
phpBB [video]