Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee FTD

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 am

I've always had a soft spot for this LP, and can remember when it first came out. I've already pre-ordered the FTD - and I don't buy them all.

But seriously, having heard the Venus CDs already takes some of the enthusiasm out of this.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 am

The idea with the classic albums is to collect all previously released material in one place, hence the importance of including the snippet of "America the Beautiful".

The missing take 6 of "I Got a Feelin’ in My Body" from Good Times was a misdemeanor. Even though it’s just a false start, it’s still annoying that it was left out.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:The idea with the classic albums is to collect all previously released material in one place, hence the importance of including the snippet of "America the Beautiful".

The missing take 6 of "I Got a Feelin’ in My Body" from Good Times was a misdemeanor. Even though it’s just a false start, it’s still annoying that it was left out.

I agree... I'm not buying it... :shock:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:The idea with the classic albums is to collect all previously released material in one place, hence the importance of including the snippet of "America the Beautiful".

I disagree. It is certainly an ideal scenario to have all relevant previously released material in one place, but the actual criteria behind the classic album series isn't very clear at all. There have been some curious exclusions on certain releases, but at the end of the day, the classic album series releases are "deluxe editions" of Elvis' studio albums; and in some instances, sessions that did not yield traditional albums. The producers take creative liberties from time to time, and there is no reason to expect that "everything" and all "obvious" tracks will be included. Promised Land is one of Elvis' greatest achievements from the '70s, yet take one was omitted from the final line-up of the Promised Land album reissue. Additionally, the much heralded and in-demand complete version of Merry Christmas Baby was erroneosly left out in favor of a bizarre spliced version. The ten second snippet of America certainly would have been an appropriate inclusion on From EP Blvd, but really, does it matter? The Jungle Room Sessions is the biggest selling FTD release to date - who doesn't already have this little snippet? It is ten seconds of a song that thankfully was erased over. It is readily available and most fans have already heard it. And while Moody Blue may not be the most appropriate album to include it on, FTD could very well put in on Moody Blue and solve this dilemma.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:40 pm

midnightx wrote:I don't know why FTD continues to hoard that gem, along with all The Platters' covers.

Especially when FTD mentions in the "Behind the scenes" that: "Various musicians remember that Elvis and the whole group also worked on Morris Albert's Feelings during these sessions and that he sang several songs originaly recorded by The Platters."
But to make sure, they continue: "However, no tapes of these songs have ever surfaced, and they are definitely not on RCA's session reels."

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Let's face it, if RCA had multitrack studio takes of Elvis singing Platters covers, or even the substandard Feelings, the material would have been released by now. And while it is safe to conclude that Elvis did indeed sing some Platters covers and rehearse Feelings; Jarvis either did not record them, or the tapes went missing shortly thereafter and are in the hands of a private collector. I'll side with the latter.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Without a doubt, Fel-tone Jarvis apparently not taping those Platters rundowns was a major miss.

In retrospect, they would likely be the absolute highlight of the first sessions at Graceland in 1976.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 am

looking back EVERYTHING should have been taped......but when we hear/read that tapes were 'recorded over' because RCA were such 'cheapskates' i get furious!~ :evil:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:04 pm

For those of you here in the U.S. who ordered from Now Dig This, my FTDs arrived today. If you don't have them already, expect them any day.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
billyblues wrote:Or maybe, just maybe someone found an entire take of it and it's going to be released. It's unlikely, of course, but you never know.

Heck, let's take fantasy one step further.

FTD found the complete "Feelings" and "America The Beautiful" reels in a box of old dresses once owned by Mary Jarvis, and it will be unleashed on the FTD edition of Moody Blue.

She burnt these as well!! :lol:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 am

Rob wrote:For those of you here in the U.S. who ordered from Now Dig This, my FTDs arrived today. If you don't have them already, expect them any day.

Let us know how much you enjoy Hits Of The 70s.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 am

I'll give it a spin eventually.

But don't anyone hold your breath waiting.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:05 am

midnightx wrote:
Rob wrote:For those of you here in the U.S. who ordered from Now Dig This, my FTDs arrived today. If you don't have them already, expect them any day.

Let us know how much you enjoy Hits Of The 70s.

It's only Rock 'N Roll, but I like it ...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 am

If anyone has received their copy of the new FTD "From EP Blvd", please share your thoughts and let us know what you think.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Rich_TCB wrote:If anyone has received their copy of the new FTD "From EP Blvd", please share your thoughts and let us know what you think.

Many of us got this release 2 weeks ago......impressions are written in other and older posts.
In short....great sound but only 2 new takes for fans who have the VENUS bootlegs.
If you dont have the VENUS releases then it has a lots of new takes to enjoy :) ......but VENUS also have A LOT of takes not available on FTD :?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
If anyone has received their copy of the new FTD "From EP Blvd", please share your thoughts and let us know what you think.

I've been waiting for the same.

TCK_KING wrote:
Many of us got this release 2 weeks ago......impressions are written in other and older posts.

Where? What other/older posts? I thought this was the "official" thread for this FTD. I've been coming to this thread hoping for some thoughts and reviews.

RKS

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:41 pm

TCK_KING wrote:

Where? What other/older posts? I thought this was the "official" thread for this FTD. I've been coming to this thread hoping for some thoughts and reviews.

RKS

"problem" is that anyone can make a topic.....often there are many threads regarding the same issue and in this case there were a lots of "ftd" topics regarding upcoming FTDs
Recieved my FTD some weeks ago as well and posted previews and pictures from booklet in posts that hasnt been in use for a week(s)
Last edited by KingElvis on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Do the remixes and rough mixes feature overdubbs or are they done in the same fashion as help me on promised land FTD?

And accuse me of blasphemy but many new takes on Venus series sounded quite less than perfect...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:58 pm

frus75 wrote:Do the remixes and rough mixes feature overdubbs or are they done in the same fashion as help me on promised land FTD?

And accuse me of blasphemy but many new takes on Venus series sounded quite less than perfect...

What I disliked a little is that on takes like "for the heart" they all sounds like the same mixes.
Example is the piano is audible the same way on all takes.....aka all takes sounds the same.
That goes for other songs on this release and other classic albums as well.
"you asked me to" from PL-FTD is the way to do it.....all takes sounds a little different.....1 take even had all backupsingers removed and Burtons guitar was upfront during the entire song.....perfect alternate mix.
Anyone remember take 1 of "got a feeling in my body" on Essential 5 from 1998?
On Good times this take was completely different......like hearing a new unreleased version of a song :)
In many ways I liked Dennis Ferrantes work on alternate takes better than what Vic has done......
Just my opinion :D

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:If anyone has received their copy of the new FTD "From EP Blvd", please share your thoughts and let us know what you think.

I have heard this material before with the Venus releases. Never in this quality though. If you like this album, which I do, you will definitely enjoy hearing it in the making.

There are a couple of very funny moments, too.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm

frus75 wrote:

I love understatements like this. ::rocks

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am

Just had a chance to listen to this FTD set, and the sound is indeed fantastic. I noted that "Elvis in Norway" seems to think the outtakes have been newly remixed for this set, but I haven't found any evidence of that at all. I compared a couple of songs and the mixes here seem to be identical to the ones we first had on the JRS FTD and later (in more complete form) on the Venus WTTJ series.

Obviously the sound quality of the outtakes is a bit more clean (this being an official release) plus amazingly enough even the masters seem to sound a notch better than the 2009 Sony re-issue. This is most evident to me on Elvis' vocals which sound a lot more warm and open compared to prior releases of the same material. Whatever they did in the mastering chain here the result is stunning.

Sadly they couldn't fit all the outtakes onto the release but the Venus releases fill in that gap nicely.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:59 am

Thank you for your review. Much appreciated. The lack of comments and reaction for this release is puzzling.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 am

chesay7 wrote:Thank you for your review. Much appreciated. The lack of comments and reaction for this release is puzzling.

indeed!~ :?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 am

It again is a great release by FTD, although I doubt I will play it often. I liked the JRS as it came out, since I am not a fan of the heavy Jarvis overdubs. For me JRS still is the goto album if I want to spin the 1976 sessions. FEPBMT is a nice and essential Classic Album as addittion to the collection but also more of the same to me. Upon playing it I noticed that in mind I was already dreaming away with the upcoming Back in Memphis FTD in mind.