Off Topic Messages

Hurricane Sandy to hit NY & other parts this weekend?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:56 am

Hope this either dies down or shifts to another direction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy_(2012)

Re: Hurricane Sandy to hit NY & other parts this weekend?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 am

elvis4life wrote:Hope this either dies down or shifts to another direction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy_(2012)

I hope so too! This looks like a monster. We've had really strange weather all this year and I'm sick of worrying. Mild winter, followed by a stinking hot summer with what..5, 6 heatwaves? Now a monster storm coming! Wonder what winter 2013 will be like for us? Snowed in or another mild winter?? Delaware is running out of money and the state is hurting. Bad housing market, joblessness, crime..Damage by a monster storm just adds more to the hurt.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 am

Hope everyone stays safe.

Not looking forward to this at all . . .

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 am

Yes, best wishes to everyone on the board that is in the path of the Hurricane.

I have a friend who has gone to new york for a long weekend for his birthday - one he'll never forget I should imagine!

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:38 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Hope everyone stays safe.

Same here. My prayers are with everyone in Sandy's path.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:11 am

This is scary stuff. We never had it here in Brazil, but I can imagine how it must be and I feel terrified... May God be with you all US people. I hope that everything turns out fine for you.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 am

This storm has given us all in its path something to be concerned about. The doracho was an odd storm in July because the power was off for 10s of 1000s of households and businesses in upwards of two weeks. Gas stations were closed due to lack of power. So no fuel for the chainsaws and generators and vehicles for that matter. That storm IIRC was only for part of one day. This one expected for 36 hours of constant high intensity winds and inches of rain.

These are strange times. I hope we all, those impacted directly and those effected indirectly make it through this unscathed or with minimal impact.

Take care.

Btw. I too am in its path.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:56 am

Stay safe, everyone.

Thoughts and prayers going up for everyone in the storm's path.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 am

Stay safe PLEASE, vacate the shores, and it'll be over soon. You probably have time to get your possession together, the important stuff, and vacate the shores.

All thoughts, good wishes, and prayers are with you during this time. It's scary when something like this happens! (We get the fires this time of year, yet we've been . . . dare I say it, lucky so far. {I shouldn't have said it!}

All the best,
Robin

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:32 am

Stay safe everyone.....

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 am

Hope you all stay safe in those affected parts

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:08 am

Unlike the mayor of N.O., and Governer of Louisiana, who had plenty of time for evacuation and getting out of Dodge safely, lets hope that things are done a lot more efficiently this time, as people can cope a lot better from lost property, which they can replace, but not lives!

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 am

What a day here in New Jersey! The shore area here in South Jersey has been devastated. I've heard a report that some people are "trapped" in Atlantic City not listening to the Govenor's request that they evacuate. A lot of flooding and some significant damage along the shore areas. I've heard that Atlantic City lost part of its boardwalk. As of this writing, at least where I am located, the rains have lessened but the winds are still gusting significantly. Hopefully we will get through these next 6-12 hours OK. We are not used to these kind of storms here in NJ. We are fairly use to the fall/winter Nor'easters and the snow storms. But this storm was amazing.

rlj

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:25 am

http://youtu.be/n6sKKY3TXMA

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 am

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/ ... elps_obama

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:50 am

ian wrote:http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/10/29/weather_gods_interfere_in_the_campaign_and_the_left_prays_the_storm_helps_obama

I would have thought that a serious thread regarding life-threatening weather conditions that have already killed 10 people in the USA, and the well-wishes towards people in the path of the storm, would be one place within these boards where cheap political jibes could be avoided.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ian wrote:http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/10/29/weather_gods_interfere_in_the_campaign_and_the_left_prays_the_storm_helps_obama

I would have thought that a serious thread regarding life-threatening weather conditions that have already killed 10 people in the USA, and the well-wishes towards people in the path of the storm, would be one place within these boards where cheap political jibes could be avoided.

14 people, at last count. That has NO PLACE in this thread! Get a grip!

Babies are being grabbed by hand from power-less hospitals in NYC, to be quickly transferred, and great areas are devastated! 6 million people have lost power! (Including my cousin and her family - who live in NYC, and one of my two best friends is out of power, and near trees which are coming down. My other friend, who has been my friend for 22 years, also lives in CT, and doesn't use a computer, so I've been calling. So far, it seems ok way out there - she said the power was on, but I have to call again tomorrow. The former is my ersatz "big brother," and the latter my ersatz "big sister." I'm very concerned.)

rjm

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:04 pm

As I stated previously, people at the shore areas here in NJ have been devastated. I'm about 40 miles inland and we're not nearly as bad as the shore areas. At last count 2.4 million people are without power and I could go on and on. It is going to take a looooooong time to rebuild....., but we will rebuild. There are countless others outside of NJ who have been affected as well. For those of you who have been caring and sending your thoughts and prayers to those of us in NJ, NY and to all who have been affected, may I humbly say thank you.

rlj

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm

What a crazy couple of days! Sleepless night last night during the howling wind and rain here in Delaware. Lights flickered but no loss of power where we live. No water in basement, no roof leaks, no damage.Thank God! But on way to work this morning, roads cluttered with tree branches, leaves, trash.Many traffic lights were out of service and not many cars on the road at 5:45 am. I'm feeling goofy from lack of sleep and told the husband that as soon as i get home ,I'm hitting that bed HARD! His sister lives in a flood prone area and they had a little more damage in their area, but nothing major thankfully. He got word during the hight of the storm that an old friend of his had passed away, but we've been expecting it any day now. The worse appears to be over here in our state, but other places got it worse and my prayers and thoughts go out to everyone...known and unknown.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Went and donated some cloths, food items, and cash to the Red Cross this morning.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Keep burning all that petrol if you want more tropical storms.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Here's an update. This is really, really terrible! I hope everyone here is safe, and in reasonably good shape after this, and not directly at the shore areas. It went quite inland; the NYSE is still closed. Power was off to most of the City, and may still be. New Jersey is ravaged; I saw footage from Atlantic City I couldn't BELIEVE! And rows and rows of houses in Jersey, just underwater.

Here's some bad news. Sorry. Just stay safe people! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

http://news.yahoo.com/sandys-death-toll-climbs-millions-without-power-155442547--finance.html

I have some video from last night that I put directly on FB, so it's not on YouTube, but it's from NY and it's unreal.

Also, some NY based cable channels were down and out last night, and some went out in the middle of the night. A guy was up on a scaffolding, trying to fix some audio - they were just talking, not caring they were on the air or not, and then during the commercial break, the whole channel froze, and just went off the air. I can't imagine what the City was like, not to mention the outlying areas.

This is an amazing capture:

phpBB [video]

Atlantic City (I actually saw WORSE than this!)

phpBB [video]

I uploaded this about the newborn babies:

phpBB [video]

rjm

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 am

poormadpeter wrote:

If close minded Obamaites and others like you would have taken the time to read the whole transcript,
you would see how Rush says how serious the situation is, and he can't believe how certain people are
taking advantage of the storm for their own selfish agenda's, when the only thing that people should be
thinking about is helping the people involved in the storm and trying to ensure the least damage to property
as possible!!!!!

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 am

ian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

If close minded Obamaites and others like you would have taken the time to read the whole transcript,
you would see how Rush says how serious the situation is, and he can't believe how certain people are
taking advantage of the storm for their own selfish agenda's, when the only thing that people should be
thinking about is helping the people involved in the storm and trying to ensure the least damage to property
as possible!!!!!

Is the article about politics or not? Simple answer: yes. So it has no place here.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:16 am

The devastation has been terrible I hope that FECC members from the affected area and their family and friends are safe.

norrie