Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Is the version of 'I'm leavin' the TCM version or the FTD 'Elvis Now' version?

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:... the album sounds great, and the booklet will please fans of original cover art, so for me it is still a worthwhile release.

You're only encouraging mediocrity [at best] with this kind of obtuse rhetoric.

Sad.

Get over yourself...

Are you still reeling from this post? > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72607&start=150#p1089688 :D

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Elvis Australia wrote:'elvisalisellers' I totally understand your wish for a release as suggested, but you might as well just say that FTD should have released an ‘alternate takes’ 70s double album with another title. Which you mostly are, certainly what you are proposing is not ‘Hits of The 70s’.

On the contrary. My proposed configuration is far more sympathetic to the original album in comparison to the anomaly FTD actually released.
Elvis Australia wrote:As this is a greatest hits re-release and not an original album the alternates will be coming on the appropriate original ‘albums’ either already released or to be released. Although you have been creative in your suggestions!

The ship has already sailed for FTD to include the majority of selected alternates "on the appropriate original albums."

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 pm

billyblues wrote:
In the general market, maybe they have an use/point. In a collectors' label? Yes, they are pointless if they offer nothing new, unique. Imagine someone who has The Complete Masters, for example. He/she already has the entire compilation right there. Even one who possess all FTDs already owns more or less 95% of the compilation (and eventually will have it all too).


I can see your point, but I think it’s also worth noting that we don’t all own “The Complete Masters” or every FTD release. For me personally, this album offered a sound upgrade over what I already own. Yes, I have some of the tracks on other FTD titles already, and will no doubt duplicate others in the future, but it comes down to personal choice in the end.

billyblues wrote:
FTD is aimed towards collectors and hardcore fans - not saying that these are the only ones able to buy a FTD, but the label is definitely one for fans interested in material that usually wouldn't fit on the mainstream market. Taking this into consideration, there's no real use for this compilation in the label if it contains nothing out of the ordinary. Have in mind that when this was first announced, even considering that the original mono mixes were there, people were mostly complaining. I'm not sure what are Roger Sermon's reasons for this, but the fact is that "Hits" is being released via FTD - the Elvis collectors' label. Ernst or not, it's a FTD release and you bet that people will expect a certain standard from the label. Some don't even want a compilation like that being released by them, let alone one that offers absolutely nothing new! And then there's the price, which I reckon is more than what it would be if this one was being released for everyone - certainly you see this being a major point?

IMO I certainly think that this one could be a collectors' release, as could any compilation offering unique material. This is the kind of stuff that collectors look for, after all. But as it is now, it looks just like any other mainstream compilation - nice booklet or not. I'm not sure if I posted such comment in this very topic, but I mentioned previously that this case almost looks like a bad joke: they decide to release a compilation out of nowhere and it's one that does feature worth material for collectors... Only to remove such material and offer what most already have. :| I don't plan to buy it as it is now and I don't really feel offended by it, but I think that it is valid to discuss the merits of this release - after all, this was a wasted opportunity. And what we're getting next, then? Pure Gold? We'll live, definitely. But it is a shame that they're wasting opportunities to release collectible material.


Yes, “Hits of the ‘70’s” is something of a departure for the FTD label, and I can fully understand that with the price of these releases, people would expect to get a number of previously unissued tracks on each release. However, there is a market amongst CD collectors for old vinyl titles (even if some of these were not particularly worthy compilations) and I think this release was perhaps a response to the numerous bootleg CD releases of old vinyl albums that we have had in recent years.

However, as I have already stated, given the reaction to this release I can’t really see a trend developing here in terms of back catalogue reissues that offer nothing new, so I don’t think the end of FTD as a bona fide collectors label is upon us.

I’ve already stated that there was a missed opportunity here with regards to the mono masters, and I’m sure this title would have been more appealing for many had these tracks been included.
Roger Semon, like many UK fans of a certain age, obviously has a sentimental attachment to this release, and whilst I also fall into that category, I would agree that other fans could argue the same for numerous compilations which wouldn’t really be worthy of an expanded FTD re-issue. So I wouldn’t like to see “Pure Gold” re-issued anytime soon, but I think there’s a reasonable argument for FTD re-issues of the “Legendary Performer” series, “This Is Elvis”, or maybe even “I Was The One”.

Some would say that these titles should have been considered before “Hits of the ‘70’s”, and I have to say that I agree with this. However, given the popularity of Elvis’ ‘70’s recordings amongst the people that post here, maybe Ernst & Roger felt that this title would have had a more positive reaction from the fan base.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Ciscoking wrote:But it`s indeed Hits Of The 70`s from start to finish.
I`d say the definitive compilation of Elvis`greatest songs
from this decade. You can easily listen to it from srtart to finish
without skipping one of these 49 gems.


The first 2 CD's from The 70's masters box set are good enough for me. Those are just fine.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:56 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Could anyone be kind enough to provide a quality needle drop of the original 1974 album master?


Is that so we can hear crackly, dull, lifeless flat sounding mono versions of songs that were intended for release in stereo?

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:You're only encouraging mediocrity [at best] with this kind of obtuse rhetoric.

Sad.


Rhetoric? It’s just one fan’s opinion, and I really can see both sides of the argument. I think my posts on this subject reflect that.

I don’t think my own personal opinion of this release is going to encourage anything. It would seem that the majority of the people that post here didn’t want this release, and aren’t going to buy it, so I think normal service will be resumed as far as future FTD releases are concerned.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm

When In Rome wrote:Is the version of 'I'm leavin' the TCM version or the FTD 'Elvis Now' version?


What on earth is the difference?!

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Tony.. wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Could anyone be kind enough to provide a quality needle drop of the original 1974 album master?


Is that so we can hear crackly, dull, lifeless flat sounding mono versions of songs that were intended for release in stereo?


They were not intended for stereo release, Elvis preferred the mono versions. He recorded it, surely we should accept his own preference as to how we hear it?

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 pm

I do believe at some point FTD needs to tackle the issue of the mono mixes on the singles. I believe the best template to do that would be to use the two volumes of Worldwide Gold Award Hits and create additional volumes. I realize that they used a few of the mono mixes from the 1969 American sessions on the Legacy reissue of "From Elvis In Memphis."

A.) all single releases in the United States preferably in monaural if issued on a single in monaural, including from late 1971 onwards, the mono disk jockey promo singles.
B.) Those singles which did remarkably well outside the United States, particularly in the U.K., even if they were issued as a single only in stereo.

LPM-6401 WORLDWIDE 50 GOLD AWARD HITS. VOL. 1 (Box Set - 4 LP’s)
Heartbreak Hotel / I Was The One / I Want You, I Need You, I Love You / Don’t Be Cruel / Hound Dog / Love Me Tender / Any Way You Want Me (That’s How I Will Be) / Too Much / Playing For Keeps / All Shook Up / That’s When Your Heartaches Begin / Loving You / (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Jailhouse Rock / Treat Me Nice / I Beg Of You / Don’t / Wear My Ring Around Your Neck / Hard Headed Woman / I Got Stung / (Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I / A Big Hunk O’ Love / Stuck On You / A Mess Of Blues / It’s Now Or Never / I Gotta Know / Are You Lonesome Tonight? / Surrender / I Feel So Bad / Little Sister / Can’t Help Falling In Love / Rock-A-Hula-Baby / Anything That’s Part Of You / Good Luck Charm / She’s Not You / Return To Sender / Where Do You Come From / One Broken Heart For Sale / (You’re The) Devil In Disguise / Bossa Nova Baby / Kissin’ Cousins / Viva Las Vegas / Ain’t That Loving You Baby / Wooden Heart / Crying In The Chapel / If I Can Dream / In The Ghetto / Suspicious Minds / Don’t Cry Daddy / Kentucky Rain / Excerpts from Elvis Sails (interviews)

LPM-6402 THE OTHER SIDES - ELVIS WORLDWIDE GOLD AWARD HITS VOL. 2 (4 LP’s)
Puppet On A String / Witchcraft / Trouble / I Want To Be Free / Poor Boy / Doncha’ Think It’s Time / Young Dreams / The Next Step Is Love / You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me / Paralyzed / My Wish Came True / When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again / Lonesome Cowboy / My Baby Left Me / It Hurts Me / I Need Your Love Tonight / Tell Me Why / Please Don’t Drag That String Around / Young And Beautiful / Hot Dog / New Orleans / We’re Gonna Move / Crawfish / King Creole / I Believe In The Man In The Sky / Dixieland Rock / The Wonder Of You / They Remind Me Too Much Of You / Mean Woman Blues / Lonely Man / Any Day Now / Don’t Ask Me Why / (Marie’s The Name) His Latest Flame / I Really Don’t Want To Know / (You’re So Square) Baby I Don’t Care / I’ve Lost You / Let Me / Love Me / Got A Lot O’ Livin’ To Do / Fame And Fortune / Rip It Up / There Goes My Everything / Lover Doll / One Night / Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello / Ask Me / Patch It Up / As Long As I Have You / You’ll Think Of Me / Wild In The Country


On volume 2, I would also include the following in mono, as they were under consideration for the four LP set: "(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)," "I Believe," "Take My Hand, Precious Lord," "It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)," "Rubberneckin'," "My Little Friend," "Mama Liked The Roses"

For the third and fourth volumes, I would include the following:

That's All Right
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Good Rockin' Tonight
I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
Milkcow Blues Boogie
You're A Heartbreaker
Baby, Let's Play House
I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone
I Forgot To Remember To Forget
Mystery Train
Blue Suede Shoes
Blue Christmas
Santa Claus Is Back In Town
Tutti Frutti
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Make Me Know It
Flaming Star
Follow That Dream
King Of The Whole Wide World
Kiss Me Quick
Suspicion
What'd I Say
Such A Night
Never Ending
Do The Clam
You'll Be Gone
(Such An) Easy Question
It Feels So Right
I'm Yours
(It's A) Long, Lonely Highway
Tell Me Why
Blue River
Joshua Fit The Battle
Known Only To Him
Milky White Way
Swing Down Sweet Chariot
Frankie And Johnny
Please Don't Stop Loving Me
Love Letters
Come What May
Spinout
All That I Am
If Every Day Was Like Christmas
How Would You Like To Be
Indescribably Blue
Fools Fall In Love
Long Legged Girl (WIth The Short Dress On)
There's Always Me
Judy
Big Boss Man
You Don't Know Me
Guitar Man
Hi-Heel Sneakers
U.S. Male
Stay Away
You'll Never Walk Alone
We Call On Him
Let Yourself Go
Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby
A Little Less Conversation
Almost In Love
Edge Of Reality
Memories
Charro*
His Hand In Mine*
How Great Thou Art*
Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
The Fair Is Moving On

All of the above listed were made available on a single in mono unless notated with an asterisk.

Polk Salad Annie
See See Rider
I Just Can't Help Believing
How The Web Was Woven

These four above were in stereo when issued in the U.K. on single. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Rags To Riches
Where Did They Go, Lord
Life
Only Believe
I'm Leavin'
Heart Of Rome
It's Only Love
The Sound Of Your Cry

The above eight singles were issued in mono in the United States.

Merry Christmas Baby**
O Come, All Ye Faithful**
Until It's Time For You To Go**
We Can Make The Morning**
Bosom Of Abraham**
He Touched Me**
An American Trilogy**
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face**
Burning Love**
It's A Matter Of Time**
Separate Ways**
Always On My Mind**
Steamroller Blues**
Fool**
Raised On Rock**
For Ol' Times Sake**
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
Take Good Care Of Her
If You Talk In Your Sleep**
Help Me**
Promised Land**
It's Midnight**
My Boy**
Thinking About You
Loving Arms***
T-R-O-U-B-L-E**
Mr. Songman
Bringin' It Back**
Pieces Of My Life**
Green, Green Grass Of Home***

Although all of these singles listed above were issued commerically in stereo, those sides notated with two asterisks were made available in mono on disk jockey promo singles in the United States. Those sides indicated with three asterisks were issued as singles in stereo in the U.K.

Hurt
For The Heart
Moody Blue
She Thinks I Still Care
Way Down
Pledging My Love
My Way
America
Unchained Melody
Softly As I Leave You
Guitar Man (1981 remake)**
A Little Less Conversation (Elvis Vs JXL radio edit remix)
Rubberneckin' (Paul Oakenfold radio edit remix)

All of these singles with the exception of those notated with two asterisks were issued in stereo. The ones that are notated with two asterisks were issued on disk jockey promo copies in mono

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Could anyone be kind enough to provide a quality needle drop of the original 1974 album master?


I don't know about "quality" needledrop. The lp was not in very good condition but the end result is ok, I guess.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o5xmqs

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:23 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:You're only encouraging mediocrity [at best] with this kind of obtuse rhetoric.

Sad.


Rhetoric? It’s just one fan’s opinion, and I really can see both sides of the argument. I think my posts on this subject reflect that.

I don’t think my own personal opinion of this release is going to encourage anything. It would seem that the majority of the people that post here didn’t want this release, and aren’t going to buy it, so I think normal service will be resumed as far as future FTD releases are concerned.

Sadly D the air where this ass-hat resides is a little too thin for him to comprehend that... you can just add him to list of trolls that seem to frequent this site now... <sigh>

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Claus wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Could anyone be kind enough to provide a quality needle drop of the original 1974 album master?


I don't know about "quality" needledrop. The lp was not in very good condition but the end result is ok, I guess.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o5xmqs

Thanks for going to the trouble, Claus. Sounds excellent.

::rocks

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:08 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:You're only encouraging mediocrity [at best] with this kind of obtuse rhetoric.

Sad.


Rhetoric? It’s just one fan’s opinion, and I really can see both sides of the argument. I think my posts on this subject reflect that.

I don’t think my own personal opinion of this release is going to encourage anything. It would seem that the majority of the people that post here didn’t want this release, and aren’t going to buy it, so I think normal service will be resumed as far as future FTD releases are concerned.

Sadly D the air where this ass-hat resides is a little too thin for him to comprehend that... you can just add him to list of trolls that seem to frequent this site now... <sigh>

Let us know when you decide to contribute one single post of interest during your 10 year tenure "elvis-fan from Canada".
We await with bated breath.

P.S. Interesting date you joined the forum. Very interesting... <sigh>

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Daryl wrote:I do believe at some point FTD needs to tackle the issue of the mono mixes on the singles. I believe the best template to do that would be to use the two volumes of Worldwide Gold Award Hits and create additional volumes. I realize that they used a few of the mono mixes from the 1969 American sessions on the Legacy reissue of "From Elvis In Memphis."

A.) all single releases in the United States preferably in monaural if issued on a single in monaural, including from late 1971 onwards, the mono disk jockey promo singles.
B.) Those singles which did remarkably well outside the United States, particularly in the U.K., even if they were issued as a single only in stereo.

LPM-6401 WORLDWIDE 50 GOLD AWARD HITS. VOL. 1 (Box Set - 4 LP’s)
Heartbreak Hotel / I Was The One / I Want You, I Need You, I Love You / Don’t Be Cruel / Hound Dog / Love Me Tender / Any Way You Want Me (That’s How I Will Be) / Too Much / Playing For Keeps / All Shook Up / That’s When Your Heartaches Begin / Loving You / (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Jailhouse Rock / Treat Me Nice / I Beg Of You / Don’t / Wear My Ring Around Your Neck / Hard Headed Woman / I Got Stung / (Now And Then There’s) A Fool Such As I / A Big Hunk O’ Love / Stuck On You / A Mess Of Blues / It’s Now Or Never / I Gotta Know / Are You Lonesome Tonight? / Surrender / I Feel So Bad / Little Sister / Can’t Help Falling In Love / Rock-A-Hula-Baby / Anything That’s Part Of You / Good Luck Charm / She’s Not You / Return To Sender / Where Do You Come From / One Broken Heart For Sale / (You’re The) Devil In Disguise / Bossa Nova Baby / Kissin’ Cousins / Viva Las Vegas / Ain’t That Loving You Baby / Wooden Heart / Crying In The Chapel / If I Can Dream / In The Ghetto / Suspicious Minds / Don’t Cry Daddy / Kentucky Rain / Excerpts from Elvis Sails (interviews)

LPM-6402 THE OTHER SIDES - ELVIS WORLDWIDE GOLD AWARD HITS VOL. 2 (4 LP’s)
Puppet On A String / Witchcraft / Trouble / I Want To Be Free / Poor Boy / Doncha’ Think It’s Time / Young Dreams / The Next Step Is Love / You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me / Paralyzed / My Wish Came True / When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again / Lonesome Cowboy / My Baby Left Me / It Hurts Me / I Need Your Love Tonight / Tell Me Why / Please Don’t Drag That String Around / Young And Beautiful / Hot Dog / New Orleans / We’re Gonna Move / Crawfish / King Creole / I Believe In The Man In The Sky / Dixieland Rock / The Wonder Of You / They Remind Me Too Much Of You / Mean Woman Blues / Lonely Man / Any Day Now / Don’t Ask Me Why / (Marie’s The Name) His Latest Flame / I Really Don’t Want To Know / (You’re So Square) Baby I Don’t Care / I’ve Lost You / Let Me / Love Me / Got A Lot O’ Livin’ To Do / Fame And Fortune / Rip It Up / There Goes My Everything / Lover Doll / One Night / Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello / Ask Me / Patch It Up / As Long As I Have You / You’ll Think Of Me / Wild In The Country


On volume 2, I would also include the following in mono, as they were under consideration for the four LP set: "(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)," "I Believe," "Take My Hand, Precious Lord," "It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)," "Rubberneckin'," "My Little Friend," "Mama Liked The Roses"

For the third and fourth volumes, I would include the following:

That's All Right
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Good Rockin' Tonight
I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
Milkcow Blues Boogie
You're A Heartbreaker
Baby, Let's Play House
I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone
I Forgot To Remember To Forget
Mystery Train
Blue Suede Shoes
Blue Christmas
Santa Claus Is Back In Town
Tutti Frutti
The Girl Of My Best Friend
Make Me Know It
Flaming Star
Follow That Dream
King Of The Whole Wide World
Kiss Me Quick
Suspicion
What'd I Say
Such A Night
Never Ending
Do The Clam
You'll Be Gone
(Such An) Easy Question
It Feels So Right
I'm Yours
(It's A) Long, Lonely Highway
Tell Me Why
Blue River
Joshua Fit The Battle
Known Only To Him
Milky White Way
Swing Down Sweet Chariot
Frankie And Johnny
Please Don't Stop Loving Me
Love Letters
Come What May
Spinout
All That I Am
If Every Day Was Like Christmas
How Would You Like To Be
Indescribably Blue
Fools Fall In Love
Long Legged Girl (WIth The Short Dress On)
There's Always Me
Judy
Big Boss Man
You Don't Know Me
Guitar Man
Hi-Heel Sneakers
U.S. Male
Stay Away
You'll Never Walk Alone
We Call On Him
Let Yourself Go
Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby
A Little Less Conversation
Almost In Love
Edge Of Reality
Memories
Charro*
His Hand In Mine*
How Great Thou Art*
Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
The Fair Is Moving On

All of the above listed were made available on a single in mono unless notated with an asterisk.

Polk Salad Annie
See See Rider
I Just Can't Help Believing
How The Web Was Woven

These four above were in stereo when issued in the U.K. on single. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Rags To Riches
Where Did They Go, Lord
Life
Only Believe
I'm Leavin'
Heart Of Rome
It's Only Love
The Sound Of Your Cry

The above eight singles were issued in mono in the United States.

Merry Christmas Baby**
O Come, All Ye Faithful**
Until It's Time For You To Go**
We Can Make The Morning**
Bosom Of Abraham**
He Touched Me**
An American Trilogy**
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face**
Burning Love**
It's A Matter Of Time**
Separate Ways**
Always On My Mind**
Steamroller Blues**
Fool**
Raised On Rock**
For Ol' Times Sake**
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
Take Good Care Of Her
If You Talk In Your Sleep**
Help Me**
Promised Land**
It's Midnight**
My Boy**
Thinking About You
Loving Arms***
T-R-O-U-B-L-E**
Mr. Songman
Bringin' It Back**
Pieces Of My Life**
Green, Green Grass Of Home***

Although all of these singles listed above were issued commerically in stereo, those sides notated with two asterisks were made available in mono on disk jockey promo singles in the United States. Those sides indicated with three asterisks were issued as singles in stereo in the U.K.

Hurt
For The Heart
Moody Blue
She Thinks I Still Care
Way Down
Pledging My Love
My Way
America
Unchained Melody
Softly As I Leave You
Guitar Man (1981 remake)**
A Little Less Conversation (Elvis Vs JXL radio edit remix)
Rubberneckin' (Paul Oakenfold radio edit remix)

All of these singles with the exception of those notated with two asterisks were issued in stereo. The ones that are notated with two asterisks were issued on disk jockey promo copies in mono


Have you heard the CD version of 50 Worldwide Gold Award Hits? I only have Part 2 (RCA New York 6401-2-R. It's a mixture of mono & stereo, but there's some fantastic sound quality there. Suspicious Minds (stereo) is the best I have it, mellower EQ than Anesini's, I love it. There's some mixes there too which are not the same as any other CDs I personally have. I'm not expert enough to know where they came from, but I really like this CD.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Tony.. wrote:
When In Rome wrote:Is the version of 'I'm leavin' the TCM version or the FTD 'Elvis Now' version?


What on earth is the difference?!


Tut tut call yourself an Elvis fan!! :wink:

The FTD 'Elvis Now' version (or 'mix' would be more accurate term I s'pose) is more akin to the mono single mix, where the strings are more subtle in the first verse and come in more prominently on the chorus, whereas the TCM 'mix' (and everything from the 'Walk a Mile in My Shoes' Box Set onwards I think) have the strings there throughout. I just thought it might be more appropriate to have the FTD 'Elvis Now' version on this compile than the other...
I'm having to watch the cashflow now till Xmas so this one isn't top of my priorties but this was a fave of mine back in the day as it was the only place to get 'I'm leavin' and 'Rags to Riches'....

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:

P.S. Interesting date you joined the forum. Very interesting... <sigh>


I think it's the date that the forum moved servers and people had to re-register. That's why a number of people share this date.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:10 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
P.S. Interesting date you joined the forum. Very interesting... <sigh>

I think it's the date that the forum moved servers and people had to re-register. That's why a number of people share this date.

:D

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Elvis Australia wrote:okay, so Ernst has lost the plot, thanks for that arrogance Matthew. The fact is it is NOT an unpopular release. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean everyone else shares your view.

Ernst? Do try to keep up old boy!

For some reason you seem to think you speak for the entire global FTD customer base based on your supposed sales stats in Australia - good one!

The fact remains, regardless of how many are selling, that positively receiving a product that is no more than a cheap (to produce, expensive to buy) masters compilation on the FTD label only encourages further rip-off titles down the track. All these songs (will) appear on FTD Classic Albums rendering its uselessness further! Let's review:

41 of 49 master recordings* appear on current FTD releases, the rest (1969 singles released in 1970, and recordings from the Moody Blue album) are sure to follow soon.

Original Album

01) The Wonder Of You – On Stage FTD (2012)
02) I'm Leavin' – Elvis Now FTD (2010)
03) Burning Love – Standing Room Only FTD (2009)
04) Always On My Mind – Standing Room Only FTD (2009)
05) I Just Can't Help Believin' – That’s The Way It Is FTD (2008)
06) You Don't Have To Say You Love Me – That’s The Way It Is FTD (2008)
07) There Goes My Everything – Elvis Country FTD (2008)
08) Rags To Riches – Love Letters From Elvis FTD (2008)
09) Until It's Time For You To Go – Elvis Now FTD (2010)
10) Kentucky Rain – (possibly) Back In Memphis FTD (2012)
11) I've Lost You – That’s The Way It Is FTD (2008)
12) An American Trilogy – Standing Room Only FTD (2009)

Bonus 'A' Sides

13) Don't Cry Daddy – (possibly) Back In Memphis FTD (2012)
14) Polk Salad Annie – On Stage FTD (2012)
15) Fool – Standing Room Only, Elvis (Fool) FTD (2010)
16) Take Good Care Of Her – Good Times FTD (2009)
17) If You Talk In Your Sleep – Promised Land FTD (2011)
18) My Boy – Good Times FTD (2009)
19) Promised Land – Promised Land FTD (2011)
20) T-R-O-U-B-L-E – Today FTD (2005)
21) Green, Green Grass Of Home – Today FTD (2005)
22) Hurt – From Elvis Presley Boulevard FTD (2012)
23) Moody Blue – Moody Blue FTD (????)
24) Way Down – Moody Blue FTD (????)

Disc 2
The 'B' Sides

01) Mama Liked The Roses – (possible) Back In Memphis FTD (2012)
02) Heart Of Rome – Love Letters From Elvis FTD (2008)
03) It's A Matter Of Time – Standing Room Only FTD (2009)
04) Separate Ways – Standing Room Only FTD (2009)
05) How The Web Was Woven – That’s The Way It Is FTD (2008)
06) Patch It Up – That’s The Way It Is FTD (2008)
07) I Really Don't Want To Know – Elvis Country FTD (2008)
08) Where Did They Go, Lord – Elvis Country FTD (2008)
09) We Can Make The Morning – Elvis Now FTD (2010)
10) My Little Friend – (possibly) Back In Memphis FTD (2012)
11) The Next Step Is Love – That’s The Way It Is FTD (2008)
12) The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Elvis Now FTD (2010)

Bonus 'B' Sides

13) Rubberneckin' – (possibly) Back In Memphis FTD (2012)
14) See See Rider – On Stage FTD (2012)
15) Steamroller Blues – Elvis (Fool) FTD (2010)
16) I've Got A Thing About You Baby – Good Times FTD (2009)
17) Help Me – Promised Land FTD (2011)
18) Loving Arms – Good Times FTD (2009)
19) It's Midnight – Promised Land FTD (2011)
20) Mr. Songman – Promised Land FTD (2011)
21) Thinking About You – Promised Land FTD (2011)
22) For The Heart – From Elvis Presley Boulevard FTD (2012)
23) She Thinks I Still Care – Moody Blue FTD (????)
24) Pledging My Love – Moody Blue FTD (????)

Bonus Track

25) My Way* – Spring Tours FTD (2002)

*Wrong performance of My Way used, CD features the April 25th, 1977 performance, not the correct June 21st, 1977 performance that was released as a posthumous single in 1977.

As noted, a release such as this should be limited to mainstream Sony product for less than half the price FTDs go for! Hell, if I buy this from you I'm looking at NZ$66.50 including shipping! For a masters compilation! I could run and grab a copy of The Essential Elvis Presley, or Elvis The King for $15 or less. Hell, Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight (4CD) has been going for $29.99 here, and that's a US import!

No, this release should remain an anomaly and is hopefully not indicative of future rip-off releases from the beloved FTD team. But hey, it's a "nice compilation" with a "nice selection of songs", "beautifully presented" and with a "nice booklet".

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:10 pm

When In Rome wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
When In Rome wrote:Is the version of 'I'm leavin' the TCM version or the FTD 'Elvis Now' version?


What on earth is the difference?!


Tut tut call yourself an Elvis fan!! :wink:

The FTD 'Elvis Now' version (or 'mix' would be more accurate term I s'pose) is more akin to the mono single mix, where the strings are more subtle in the first verse and come in more prominently on the chorus, whereas the TCM 'mix' (and everything from the 'Walk a Mile in My Shoes' Box Set onwards I think) have the strings there throughout. I just thought it might be more appropriate to have the FTD 'Elvis Now' version on this compile than the other...
I'm having to watch the cashflow now till Xmas so this one isn't top of my priorties but this was a fave of mine back in the day as it was the only place to get 'I'm leavin' and 'Rags to Riches'....


I don't sit and listen to all 200 re-issues of the same song on each compilation to see if there are any subtle differences in each. I usually listen to a song or album that takes my mood or fancy. As "you don't have to say you love me" has been released at least 100 times on differing compitions over the last 20 years or so, you could sit for hours listening to all of those to see if there are any subtle differences in just that one song alone, for example.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm stunned! I am in agreement with you, Tony.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 pm

It is not as difficult as that to identify certain digital masterings. Generally speaking it is not beyond reason to suggest that "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" on majority releases between 1995 and 2007 will be derived from the work done for the 70s Masters box, and that releases since will derive from the Complete Masters work. Generally speaking. Yet, the actual single mix remains unavailable on CD.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:09 am

Tony.. wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
When In Rome wrote:Is the version of 'I'm leavin' the TCM version or the FTD 'Elvis Now' version?


What on earth is the difference?!


Tut tut call yourself an Elvis fan!! :wink:

The FTD 'Elvis Now' version (or 'mix' would be more accurate term I s'pose) is more akin to the mono single mix, where the strings are more subtle in the first verse and come in more prominently on the chorus, whereas the TCM 'mix' (and everything from the 'Walk a Mile in My Shoes' Box Set onwards I think) have the strings there throughout. I just thought it might be more appropriate to have the FTD 'Elvis Now' version on this compile than the other...
I'm having to watch the cashflow now till Xmas so this one isn't top of my priorties but this was a fave of mine back in the day as it was the only place to get 'I'm leavin' and 'Rags to Riches'....


I don't sit and listen to all 200 re-issues of the same song on each compilation to see if there are any subtle differences in each...


Well, me neither, I grew up with the mono mix off the 'Hits of the 70's' album, the seventies box mix was different and in stereo, the FTD mix was more like the mono mix but again in stereo and the TCM followed the same-ish mix as the seventies box. So thats only four versions off four releases. Anyways, I prefer the FTD mix, it's just the closest to what I'm more familiar with...

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 am

Again, if you don't like this release or want it, just ignore it, don't buy it and move on.

I mean, really, how many more releases can FTD come up with unreleased material ?

We're coming to the end of the road and it was a good ride and we'll always have the 150 or so FTD's to go back too and embrace and enjoy, but some of you are just never happy or content with anything.

You may not even wake up tomorrow, so why fret ?

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 am

minkahed wrote:I mean, really, how many more releases can FTD come up with unreleased material ?

Plenty. It isn't time to turn FTD into a glorified reissue label for previously released material quite yet.