Off Topic Messages

Re: Sir Jimmy Savile To Be Exposed As Paedophile

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Delboy wrote:Read this blog. Very interesting regarding the background of this story: Parts 4 & 5 relate to the Savile saga. A Yorkshire based Sky journalist today tweeted that researching the records of the Duncroft School is too "time consuming". This is because the evidence would prove what has been alleged in the press to be false. A long read but well worth it if you're interested in the post-death assassination of Savile.

http://www.annaraccoon.com/politics/pas ... part-four/

How would you know that the records of the Duncroft School would prove the allegations false if they haven't been read? What's more the article you have posted refers merely to a handful of people out of over 300 who have claimed that Savile molested them. What's more you seem perfectly happy to believe the ramblings of one woman as opposed to the 300 alleged victims, police and witnesses. Nobody seems to understand that the witnesses who have come forward have nothing to gain from this saga - for example, the elderly lady on the news a week or so ago who had seen him fondling a mentally patient. Are we assuming she was just making this up? She certainly didn't strike me as someone who was fame-hungry.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Delboy wrote:Read this blog. Very interesting regarding the background of this story: Parts 4 & 5 relate to the Savile saga. A Yorkshire based Sky journalist today tweeted that researching the records of the Duncroft School is too "time consuming". This is because the evidence would prove what has been alleged in the press to be false. A long read but well worth it if you're interested in the post-death assassination of Savile.

How would you know that the records of the Duncroft School would prove the allegations false if they haven't been read? What's more the article you have posted refers merely to a handful of people out of over 300 who have claimed that Savile molested them. What's more you seem perfectly happy to believe the ramblings of one woman as opposed to the 300 alleged victims, police and witnesses. Nobody seems to understand that the witnesses who have come forward have nothing to gain from this saga - for example, the elderly lady on the news a week or so ago who had seen him fondling a mentally patient. Are we assuming she was just making this up? She certainly didn't strike me as someone who was fame-hungry.

The fact is that someone told something and nobody bothered to check if what she said was right but accepted what this person said as the truth. Yet some research showed the facts can not be right.
(I have no idea if Jimmy Saville is guilty or not and it is not up to me to make that decision either. He should have been in court if he did what people say he did, but when he could be taken to court, they kept quiet for whatever reason. As for that clip of film "proving" Jimmy groped a girl live on TV I wonder why the girl was laughing instead of looking disgusted!?))

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:03 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

The fact is that someone told something and nobody bothered to check if what she said was right but accepted what this person said as the truth. Yet some research showed the facts can not be right.
(I have no idea if Jimmy Saville is guilty or not and it is not up to me to make that decision either. He should have been in court if he did what people say he did, but when he could be taken to court, they kept quiet for whatever reason. As for that clip of film "proving" Jimmy groped a girl live on TV I wonder why the girl was laughing instead of looking disgusted!?))

Use abit of common sense you might find the answer.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Bodie wrote:No, if you bothered to open the link up there is a video clip.

Sally James did a similar thing to me when i was on Tiswas.

My mates were well jealous.

You misunderstand. Of course I followed the link. However it was impossible to be shocked by the video clip as it was quite obviously good humoured larking about. (the clue being that otherwise it would hardly have been performed in front of a television audience).

No the shocking bit was in the text which followed, where she tried to pass off the 'mental scars' from this incident as the event that had ruined her life and was partly responsible for the break up of her marriage 27 years later!

Bodie wrote:Sally James did a similar thing to me when i was on Tiswas.

She did? Wow and how did you recover from the mental scars left by this? At the very least, I trust you have put in a claim?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:22 pm

poormadpeter wrote: Nobody seems to understand that the witnesses who have come forward have nothing to gain from this saga - for example, the elderly lady on the news a week or so ago who had seen him fondling a mentally patient. Are we assuming she was just making this up? She certainly didn't strike me as someone who was fame-hungry.

You and I know absolutely nothing about the elderly lady in question...and that point should not be underestimated.

She may be a complete fantasist who has a range of peculiar thoughts and ideas. Being elderly, her recall may be questionable, or she might just be grateful for the attention - a few different people to share a cup of tea with and take an interest in her for a change? Who knows? But that's the point....that these allegations should not be taken at face value without being properly tested for reliabilty and consistency in a court of law.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Mike S wrote:

You misunderstand. Of course I followed the link. However it was impossible to be shocked by the video clip as it was quite obviously good humoured larking about. (the clue being that otherwise it would hardly have been performed in front of a television audience).

No the shocking bit was in the text which followed, where she tried to pass off the 'mental scars' from this incident as the event that had ruined her life and was partly responsible for the break up of her marriage 27 years later!

I think the teenager's reaction was more out of shock than anything and far from just good humoured larking about, although Savile would have looked at it as that. Im assuming when he went round touching up children at the hospitals he went to, you would also class that as 'larking about'?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Bodie wrote:
Mike S wrote:

I think the teenager's reaction was more out of shock than anything and far from just good humoured larking about, although Savile would have looked at it as that.

So did the producer and it was broadcast accordingly.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Delboy wrote:Read this blog. Very interesting regarding the background of this story.....This is because the evidence would prove what has been alleged in the press to be false. A long read but well worth it if you're interested in the post-death assassination of Savile.

A long read but illuminating. Thanks for posting.

The general message: Never let research get in the way of a good story.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:16 pm

News just in: (taken from Private Eye).

I WASN'T GROPED AT BBC SAYS WOMAN

In a shock confession last night, a female broadcaster admitted that she had never been assaulted by a male colleague during her time at the BBC.

She said, "It has taken me a long time to come forward because I feared for my career if everyone knew that nothing untoward had happened. "But," she continued, "now that everyone else is getting their name in the paper I feel I must set the record straight. The truth is in my case there was no groping, fondling or lewd suggestions whatsoever."

The BBC has launched an immediate enquiry and a spokesman for the Corporation announced, "This is well below the standard of behaviour we expect at the BBC and we must act at once to protect our hard-earned reputation for indecency.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Mike S wrote:News just in: (taken from Private Eye).

In a shock confession last night, a female broadcaster admitted that she had never been assaulted by a male colleague during her time at the BBC.

She said, "It has taken me a long time to come forward because I feared for my career if everyone knew that nothing untoward had happened. "But," she continued, "now that everyone else is getting their name in the paper I feel I must set the record straight. The truth is in my case there was no groping, fondling or lewd suggestions whatsoever."

The BBC has launched an immediate enquiry and a spokesman for the Corporation announced, "This is well below the standard of behaviour we expect at the BBC and we must act at once to protect our hard-earned reputation for indecency.

You might want to add, for the sake of accuracy and for those from other countries who don't know already, that Private Eye is not a newspaper, it is in part a satirical magazine.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Mike S wrote:
Bodie wrote:
Mike S wrote:

I think the teenager's reaction was more out of shock than anything and far from just good humoured larking about, although Savile would have looked at it as that.

So did the producer and it was broadcast accordingly.

This is why there is a major inquiry going on against the BBC.

You make it sound like its acceptable for a 50-year old man, regardless of how famous he is, to molest a teenage girl.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 pm

The Pirate wrote:

You might want to add, for the sake of accuracy and for those from other countries who don't know already, that Private Eye is not a newspaper, it is in part a satirical magazine.

And that the bit quoted was entirely 'tongue-in-cheek' !

Mike S didn't think it was serious, did he ?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm

BREAKING NEWS!

Police have arrested Gary Glitter in connection with the Savile investigation. Have they got the leader of the gang??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20114378

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Reports say the girl in the video of Top of the pops was 19 years old at the time.
Same age as Elvis' last girlfriend.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Reports say the girl in the video of Top of the pops was 19 years old at the time.

So it's ok to shove your hands up the skirt of a woman providing she's not under 16?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:01 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Reports say the girl in the video of Top of the pops was 19 years old at the time.

So it's ok to shove your hands up the skirt of a woman providing she's not under 16?

It makes one wonder why a 19-year old doesn't raise hell if something like this happens.
So far it has been said these girls were very young and did not dare to talk about it.
There is a lot of lack of investigation about accusations and "proof" like this clip from "Top of the pops".

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

It makes one wonder why a 19-year old doesn't raise hell if something like this happens.
So far it has been said these girls were very young and did not dare to talk about it.
There is a lot of lack of investigation about accusations and "proof" like this clip from "Top of the pops".

She did. Afterwards she complained about what happened to the producers or whoever and was told to 'get lost'.

She was a 19-year old naive young woman who very likely was excited about appearing on a show like Top Of The Pops and be sitting next to one of Britains famous celebs, then Savile decides to molest her. Her reaction in the clip is one of shock and although she smiled when it happened im sure she felt ashamed and disgusted towards Savile.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 pm

The Pirate wrote:

Nope...I have no wish to insult the intelligence of people looking in, although from some of the posts we have had I can see where you're coming from.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm

ColinB wrote:Mike S didn't think it was serious, did he ?

I most certainly did.....seriously amusing....which was why I posted it here for you to enjoy.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Bodie wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:It makes one wonder why a 19-year old doesn't raise hell if something like this happens.

She did. Afterwards she complained about what happened to the producers or whoever and was told to 'get lost'.

One word.....allegedly.

How many times must I tell you, it is most unwise to believe everything you read in the papers.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:31 pm

One word sprang to mind when I read that woman's article .... BANDWAGON.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:One word sprang to mind when I read that woman's article .... BANDWAGON.

I thought the same.

It's a good thing Savile is exposed as the dirtbag he was - because all the legitimate victims can now at least feel some sense of justice. But it's snowballed into a bit of a circus now.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Mike S wrote:
Bodie wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:It makes one wonder why a 19-year old doesn't raise hell if something like this happens.

One word.....allegedly.

How many times must I tell you, it is most unwise to believe everything you read in the papers.

I don't. But common sense tells me that back in those days, doing what Savile did was looked at as 'having a laugh', as you have put it so i can quite believe that they told the teenager to 'go away'.
These days, sexual perverts like Savile was, are quite rightly taken more seriously.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:47 pm

This topic seems to be going the same way as the one about the Kate Middleton topless photos that were posted in a French magazine a month or so back. And what I mean by that is that the argument by some in that thread was "they're famous, they should expect the paparazzi to behave like that and watch what they are doing even in private property" - in other words, all the paparazzi are doing it, so they might as well get used to it. The same is being said here by some: everyone was doing those kinds of things back then, so it was fine and no big deal (with regards to the girl on TOTP.

I guess all of this kind of behaviour comes under what is and isn't "correct", whether political or otherwise. And the problem with that is that many (often myself) think things have gone overboard in the politicial correctness arena. However, it is so often difficult to ascertain what is intended to be harmless and what is not, and therefore the "rules" regarding such things have to lean towards the conservative. And, as these boards have shown in recent weeks, what is regarded as a joke or lighthearted comment by some, is taken seriously by others - and this often depends on who is saying/doing it and when they were saying/doing it.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Mike S wrote:
ColinB wrote:Mike S didn't think it was serious, did he ?

I most certainly did.....seriously amusing....which was why I posted it here for you to enjoy.

I think there's hope for you yet........................