Tom Jones - Skye Boat Song

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:48 am

Tom Jones does two versions of the Skye Boat Song. What do you think of this? -

phpBB [video]

This next one is from an Australian television show -

phpBB [video]

Re: Tom Jones - Skye Boat Song

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Terrible versions of an excellent traditional song.

Here's a great version of another traditional song by the Silencers....similar types of tune.

phpBB [video]

Or Rod Stewarts version

phpBB [video]

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:35 pm

I've never liked Tom's versions of The Skye Boat Song -- although it's catchy and well-performed, the song, itself, doesn't best fit rock 'n' roll trappings. For me, Roger Whittaker's wonderful version remains the best.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Robt wrote:Tom Jones does two versions of the Skye Boat Song. What do you think of this? -

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Goodness, now there's an artistic misjudgement that is on par with FTD releasing Hits of the 70s! I never really "got" his version of Danny Boy either. The song is perfectly good enough without the faux-blues grunting and groaning with which he punctuates his performance. That's not to say I don't like Tom Jones, because I do like much of his work. Oddly, I will forever associate the Skye Boat Song with Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor, being a kid when their duet of the song reached the top 10 in 1986.

phpBB [video]

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:27 pm

greystoke wrote:I've never liked Tom's versions of The Skye Boat Song -- although it's catchy and well-performed, the song, itself, doesn't best fit rock 'n' roll trappings. For me, Roger Whittaker's wonderful version remains the best.

I dont think Whittaker connects with the song at all, he turns it into a semi-christmassy-shmaltzfest

My vote would go for the Corries
phpBB [video]

You can almost feel the history by listening to this version

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:36 pm

daylon wrote:Terrible versions of an excellent traditional song.

Here's a great version of another traditional song by the Silencers....similar types of tune.

phpBB [video]

Oh that brings back memories, classic song from a great era of Scottish bands.

Talking of traditional songs, I love Eddi Reader's interpretations of Robert Burns poems
phpBB [video]

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Robt wrote:Tom Jones does two versions of the Skye Boat Song. What do you think of this? -

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Goodness, now there's an artistic misjudgement that is on par with FTD releasing Hits of the 70s! I never really "got" his version of Danny Boy either. The song is perfectly good enough without the faux-blues grunting and groaning with which he punctuates his performance. That's not to say I don't like Tom Jones, because I do like much of his work. Oddly, I will forever associate the Skye Boat Song with Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor, being a kid when their duet of the song reached the top 10 in 1986.

phpBB [video]

What that stupid whistling version ? Hey, Does Whittaker actually sing the lyrics on another rendition ? I've not been able to find it. Hey Pete, as we're speaking I'm about to upload "All of my Life" which I calling - repaired as it's already on YT but that has one channel weak, and the other has been awfully reverbed. I worked on it in order to balance it. Wish me luck on that.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:36 am

The whistling version was part of Whitaker's act for about ten years prior to the duet recording. He was then on the TV variety show Des O Connor Tonight, which was a staple of 80s British TV. O'Connor then duetted with him on the show on Sky Boat Song and the response was so big from the public that they released it a studio recording which reached the top ten.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:53 am

The Des O'Connor / Freddie Starr version remains the version to beat.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... nN3nD6pCus