Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: ftd

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Alexander wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:fyi hope Obama loses.he is an idiot.

Look who's talking...

:smt003

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Alexander wrote:

Look who's talking...

Isnt this an Elvis board not a politics board?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:28 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Wish Ftd would release a soundtrack as a classic cd nxt year.Flaming star should be released in 2013.Lay off so many 70s era nxt year except Elvis on tour shows.
They goofed again not releasing a Elvis on tour 40th anniversary ftd cd set.why did you do that Ernst are we gonna have to wait until the 12th of never?
Also all ftd releases need this to be done.
Re-mastered from original analogue US tapes .not digital source copy tapes.how many times do i have to say this before it seeps into your brain Ernst?
Gi. blues ftd lp do this not from digital source tapes!!!!!!!!!!!

finally when we do get a Flaming Star FTD ernst probably leaves out black star which is not on The Complete Masters either...

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Mike DK wrote:It would be nice if FTD vinyl was mastered from original analog tapes or at least High resolution digital. They are not considered audiophile material because of their 16/48 digital sources which is a shame as so much work is done with covers etc. They look great but in a way is not the real deal.

Considering that 16/44.1 is higher resolution than ANY analogue media could hold prior to Elvis' death, I think the argument that they shouldn't be using digital sources, which have not changed one iota since they were made, would be better than analogue sources which change with each playback, is misguided, at best.

Or are you not saying that 16/48 (which, of course is higher than 16/44.1) is not "high resolution"?

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:32 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:Wish Ftd would release a soundtrack as a classic cd nxt year.Flaming star should be released in 2013.Lay off so many 70s era nxt year except Elvis on tour shows.
They goofed again not releasing a Elvis on tour 40th anniversary ftd cd set.why did you do that Ernst are we gonna have to wait until the 12th of never?
Also all ftd releases need this to be done.
Re-mastered from original analogue US tapes .not digital source copy tapes.how many times do i have to say this before it seeps into your brain Ernst?
Gi. blues ftd lp do this not from digital source tapes!!!!!!!!!!!

finally when we do get a Flaming Star FTD ernst probably leaves out black star which is not on The Complete Masters either...

Black Star is on Disc 28 of The Complete Masters Set.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 pm

bpmod wrote:
Mike DK wrote:It would be nice if FTD vinyl was mastered from original analog tapes or at least High resolution digital. They are not considered audiophile material because of their 16/48 digital sources which is a shame as so much work is done with covers etc. They look great but in a way is not the real deal.

Considering that 16/44.1 is higher resolution than ANY analogue media could hold prior to Elvis' death, I think the argument that they shouldn't be using digital sources, which have not changed one iota since they were made, would be better than analogue sources which change with each playback, is misguided, at best.

Or are you not saying that 16/48 (which, of course is higher than 16/44.1) is not "high resolution"?

Brian

16/44 is not considered "high resolution" (wrote 16/48 by mistake) among audiofiles.

Are you saying that "cd resolution" is better than analouge tapes? That would be the first time I have heard this statement.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Last edited by rlj4ep on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Greetings I have studied 5 different world languages during my academic years. However "16/44 16/48 high resolution" was not one of them! :wink: :D

rlj

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Mike DK wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

16/44 is not considered "high resolution" (wrote 16/48 by mistake) among audiofiles.

Are you saying that "cd resolution" is better than analouge tapes? That would be the first time I have heard this statement.

I am actually surprised you 'heard' it here. It was printed on every CD package manufactured for the first number of years they were on the market. The only reason that I can surmise that it is no longer printed on each one is that maybe analogue tape has a higher resolution now than it did then.

Either way, Elvis never recorded anything on analogue tape in the CD era. Ergo, nothing Elvis recorded would benefit from mastering at a resolution higher than 16/44.1.

Brian

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:05 pm

bpmod wrote:
Mike DK wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

I am actually surprised you 'heard' it here. It was printed on every CD package manufactured for the first number of years they were on the market. The only reason that I can surmise that it is no longer printed on each one is that maybe analogue tape has a higher resolution now than it did then.

Either way, Elvis never recorded anything on analogue tape in the CD era. Ergo, nothing Elvis recorded would benefit from mastering at a resolution higher than 16/44.1.

Brian

Why then, did Sony transfer every Elvis master to 24 bit digital from analogue tapes - and used those 24 bit digital files by Vic Anesini for the mastering of the complete works ?
Also, I once asked Steve Hoffman about using cd resolution for vinyl. His answer was "I question why a company would bother issuing vinyl from a CD source. What is to be gained by this? Not much, I think..".

It has been known for years that what was printed on the cd labels when cd's started coming out is in fact not correct, which is also why they don't print it on cd's anymore and haven't done so for years. Analogue tapes can hold much more musical information than cd resolution. Vinyl, if mastered from analogue source or high resolution, can hold the same musical information and thus have a deeper sound than cd is capable of (due to lack of resolution).

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 am

some companies dont care bout quality they are just out to make money on sub par recordings.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:43 am

Mike DK wrote:Analogue tapes can hold much more musical information than cd resolution. Vinyl, if mastered from analogue source or high resolution, can hold the same musical information and thus have a deeper sound than cd is capable of (due to lack of resolution).

OK, then. Why don't you record a sound, any sound that cannot be reproduced at CD resolution, on analogue tape, and master it to vinyl. I will have a listen to it.

Oh, and in addition to that, maybe your sound could be mastered to vinyl without adding any other sounds to it (which is, of course, the main reason that digital transfers are used).

Brian

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 am

Did anyone ask ?
Try Off Topic.

norrie

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:34 am

bpmod wrote:
Mike DK wrote:Analogue tapes can hold much more musical information than cd resolution. Vinyl, if mastered from analogue source or high resolution, can hold the same musical information and thus have a deeper sound than cd is capable of (due to lack of resolution).

OK, then. Why don't you record a sound, any sound that cannot be reproduced at CD resolution, on analogue tape, and master it to vinyl. I will have a listen to it.

Oh, and in addition to that, maybe your sound could be mastered to vinyl without adding any other sounds to it (which is, of course, the main reason that digital transfers are used).

Brian

Have your ever heard the difference between a dvd and a blu ray? Why do you think blu ray has HD sound (high resolution)? The dvd, like a cd, can somewhat reproduce the sound of HD files - but it will be a lesser sound. There will be less depth to the sound among other things.
Vinyl is capable of reproducing the same sound as found on the original analouge tape just like blu ray is capable of reproducing the same sound of the original film (completely uncompressed). CD is not capable of this.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Flaming Star would be awesome, but Kissin´ Cousins would be as well :smt007. Yes, I know there are no alternate takes but I´d love to listen his isolated voice on Tender Feelings, one of his all time greatest movie ballads from the 60´s 8). Enjoy both alternate original USA record covers from my vinyl collection :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

LPM-2894-with cast picture.

LPM-2894-without cast picture.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Mike DK wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

Have your ever heard the difference between a dvd and a blu ray? Why do you think blu ray has HD sound (high resolution)? The dvd, like a cd, can somewhat reproduce the sound of HD files - but it will be a lesser sound. There will be less depth to the sound among other things.
Vinyl is capable of reproducing the same sound as found on the original analouge tape just like blu ray is capable of reproducing the same sound of the original film (completely uncompressed). CD is not capable of this.

But CD is capable of not masking the sound with crackles and pops. Anyone listening to the vinyl v CD argument will note that the drawbacks of the LP are never mentioned. I love my vinyl as much as anyone, but it is not a perfect medium. With each and every play of the record, the sound quality diminishes a tiny bit. Even brand new records have their fair share of extraneous noise causes by fluff, marks, etc. Therefore, it reproduces the analogue source but that in itself is masked by the flaws of the vinyl record.