Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

highest-earning dead celebrity

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Screen goddess Elizabeth Taylor surpassed Michael Jackson this year on Forbes‘ list of the highest-earning dead celebrities. The actress, who suffered heart failure last March, earned a whopping $210 million; $45 more than the highest paid living celeb, Oprah Winfrey. A chunk of that change — $184 million — came from Taylor’s record-breaking Christie’s auction, which sold off her fine jewelry, costumes, and art work. Her estate also profited from her White Diamonds perfume sales as well as residuals from her films. Without the profits from the one-time auction, the king of pop will ultimately regain his throne. He earned $145 million this year — $90 million more than third place celeb King of Rock & Roll Elvis Presley. Peanuts cartoonist Charles Schulz and singer Bob Marley round out the top five with $37 and $17 million, respectively. The celebs on the list earned a cumulative $532.5 million.

Here’s the full list:

1. Elizabeth Taylor: $210 million
2. Michael Jackson: $145 million
3. Elvis Presley: $55 million
4. Charles Schulz: $37 million
5. Bob Marley: $17 million
6. John Lennon: $12 million
7. Marilyn Monroe: $10 million
7. Albert Einstein: $10 million
9. Theodor Geisel: $9 million
10. Steve McQueen: $8 million
10. Bettie Page: $8 million

now the good news, Elvis should be back at #1 next year with sales from HITS OF THE 70`s :lol:

Re: highest-earning dead celebrity

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 pm

What do you reckon Liz will spend her money on?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:25 pm

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Rob wrote:What do you reckon Liz will spend her money on?

more diemonds!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Hard to believe Elvis' estate is still pulling in 50+ million dollars a year more than 35 years after his death... what are they doing with all that money??? :wink:

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Rob wrote:What do you reckon Liz will spend her money on?

I am dubious about a lot of these figures and I will tell you why.

Any one have any idea the basis for MJ and Elvis's figures, it cannot be record sales, neither are generation huge amounts these days.
It cannot just be attributed to Cirque du soleil either. And for MJ It cannot be attributed to Sony projects either as they paid a large sum upfront for 10 projects over 10 years giving them 100% of the earnings or so as it was reported at the time. And from the bits I hear it does not seem that Sony got a good deal on this either.

So what are these figures made up of.

One other thing that crosses my mind, seems like Elvis may be generating a lot of revenue for others, ie the City of Memphis, Tupelo, RCA for the pre 1973 catalogue.

Thoughts anyone?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 pm

For Elvis, that's easy it's the house and merchandising which we know they do into the ground.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 pm

I thought it was (former pop genius) Madonna!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 pm

King Volcano wrote:I thought it was (former pop genius) Madonna!

when did she die? :smt003 :smt003

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:02 am

Johnny2523 wrote:

Just after Vogue IIRC.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 am

I'm pretty sure those figures don't include what E.P.E. made during this year's Elvis Week in August or the big Elvis Experience in Brazil just last month. Most likely it's sales from the now ended Viva Elvis in Las Vegas and last year's attendance numbers at Graceland along with merchandise sales.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Kurt Cobain used to be on those lists. What happened?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 pm

dreambear wrote:Kurt Cobain used to be on those lists. What happened?

He died! :lol:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:I'm pretty sure those figures don't include what E.P.E. made during this year's Elvis Week in August or the big Elvis Experience in Brazil just last month. Most likely it's sales from the now ended Viva Elvis in Las Vegas and last year's attendance numbers at Graceland along with merchandise sales.

According to Forbes, the figures were calculated from October 2011 through October 2012.

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Courtney Love took all his money.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:35 pm

He was on the list because some rights were bought off or something. Anyway, a one-time payment.
Same for Liz Taylor & Michael Jackson.
Elvis is there every year thanks to sales of merchandising, visitors fee for Graceland and royalties on 1973-1977 recordings.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Just after Vogue IIRC.

Only for the uninitiated, "King Volcano".

P.S. Nice login name. :smt002

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm

He died.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:08 pm

It seems Elvis earns $55 every year. surely it must be higher this year as 75,000 visited Memphis/Graceland just during Elvis Week. I read it boosted the Memphis' economy by some millions so it must have boosted EPE's earnings too.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:

He was on the list because some rights were bought off or something. Anyway, a one-time payment.
Elvis is there every year thanks to sales of merchandising, visitors fee for Graceland and royalties on 1973-1977 recordings.

Imagine how much Elvis would earn if the colonel hadny sold the rights to his pre1973 songs to RCA!!!!!

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:37 pm

TheMaskedClown wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

Imagine how much Elvis would earn if the colonel hadny sold the rights to his pre1973 songs to RCA!!!!!

Yeah, bastard Colonel. So many bad decisions you'd almost feel sorry for Elvis. NOT.