Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The complete Elvis Presley masters - Question?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I have collected Elvis vinyl, books and CD's for 30 years. With regardss to CD's I have all the original releases, all FTD, and probably 80% of imports. When the Complete Masters was first released I never bothered to get it as I have all the original albums on vinyl and CD in their original format that Elvis and RCA released them so I asked myself - Do I need this set?

As a collector you always seem to want more and more - but is this really worth getting or will it just take up space on the shelf. Is it better to have the original albums as they were released when Elvis was alive. Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Jasper.

Re: The complete Elvis Presley masters - Question?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Great question jasper and I look forward to the responses. Given that you have all of the original albums on both vinyl and CD in their original format and assuming in mint condition and a top of the range system to play them on it would be cool to compare. You would assume that owning the original vinyl and the Complete Masters set would give you the best Elvis sound experience that is out there though I suspect others may have different views. I'll be following the responses with interest as the 2nd run of Complete Masters is still out there.
::rocks

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

surely the most important question, is can you afford it?........

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 pm

It really comes down to your interest in collecting Elvis' music and how far you're willing to take it. I'm in the same boat as you as far as owning both vinyl and CD's of all of Elvis' officially released albums - but I do not own all of the FTD's. I never listen to vinyl anymore so I don't really consider them for my "listening pleasure". If it's sound quality you're after, many consider The Complete Masters (TCM) to be the beginning and end for the albums issued during his lifetime. I wasn't able to purchase TCM mainly due to the cost, but I am hoping some day to buy a copy. Do you need to buy it? I would say no if you are happy with what you have... and don't forget over time many of the VA remasters that appear on TCM have been and will continue to be re-issued on other Elvis collections (ie. the 4CD set Elvis 75 contains the same remastered tracks that appear on TCM and I believe there are several examples on the FTD label as well).

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:26 pm

My first reaction was that you don't need it. Like you I have the original vinyl albums, but to be honest they are not played and are stored in the loft as CD's are now more convenient and less likely to be damaged.

I don't have the original albums on CD, but do have the 50's, 60's (I and 2) and 70's box sets plus the movie double feature series and Amazing Grace 2 CD set.

So I didn't really need the Complete Masters but bought it anyway, and I am so pleased that I did. It is the altimate collection, like the original vinyl albums, all tracks are presented in their original mixes, but unlike most of the earlier CD's, the sound quality is 2nd only to the original vinyl. There are to many tracks to mention, that are so superior to the previously mentioned box sets. In fact the only track that is nowhere equal the the original vinyl is I Got Stung, It just doesn't have the same power as the one featured on Golden Records Vol. 2.

So my answer is yes, if you are able to, go for it, you won't be dissapointed.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:49 am

For the sound quality I'd say it's worth getting if you
can find it on sale. Pop Market will probably be offering
it again at a substantial discount.

It took me probably over a year to give it a serious listen.
I planned to only listen when I wouldn't be interrupted. And
I listened to all the CD's in sequence. It was a very enjoyable
experience.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 am

80% of imports Jasper ? That's only 20% behind Rob :wink:

I don't think you really need the Complete Masters given your collection but if it's going to eat at you until you buy it then what can you do but buy it.

norrie

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks for all your comments guys, Im still unsure about this release as I do love the original albums and the sound quality is exellent on all the CD's that have been released over the last 15 years. I just think that it is something that would sit on my shelf and not get much attention. I do love to pull out one of his original albums and play it from start to finish and reflect on the period,

Jasper.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Maybe if ur more into the masters, u need to stick with the Legacy label ? great sound and packaging and if it continues u may get a great collection .......

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 pm

I say yes - like you, I have it all, the ftd's, nearly every import, but the complete masters is my go to, although I still go to the Double Features releases for most of the movies, but it really is a unbelievable set.

I never thought I'd do it, but I have to admit I have it all digitally now, which is fine for me - I spent 6 months selling over 700 Elvis titles on Ebay while cd's still hold some value and I'm glad I did. Now I have 500 GB of Elvis on an external hard drive w/an additional back up in case, and all I have to is click and voila.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 am

Is it just me or the same songs in Elv1s: 30 #1 Hits and Elvis - 2nd to None cd's sounds better than the ones in this ??

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Is it just me or the same songs in Elv1s: 30 #1 Hits and Elvis - 2nd to None cd's sounds better than the ones in this ??

The Memphis '69 tracks surely do.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:18 am

Well I have all the songs on vinyl that were released to that format and most of it on CD but I got it because I liked the presentation and the book. It's pretty cool to have every master in order. I would buy it again on record too. Sound wise I always go for vinyl, but I do think the 2007 remixes have gotten them pretty close.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 am

Mike Eder wrote:... but I do think the 2007 remixes have gotten them pretty close.

Wait! What was remixed in '07?

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am

bpmod wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:... but I do think the 2007 remixes have gotten them pretty close.

Wait! What was remixed in '07?

Brian

Well, remastered (although I think a few were remixed as well):

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:58 am

JimmyCool wrote:Well, remastered (although I think a few were remixed as well):

Which songs do you think were remixed Jimmy?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 am

iplayastrat wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Well, remastered (although I think a few were remixed as well):

Which songs do you think were remixed Jimmy?

Some of the June 1970 masters for example. I also think "If I Can Dream" and "Memories" are the same versions as featured on "2nd To None" only with lower volume level to avoid the saturation of the sound.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 am

Remastered is what I meant sorry, In the early days of CD sometimes there seemed to be an effort to make everything "bright" sounding if that's a descriptive enough word. The remasters try to get the feel closer to the original vinyl versions.

Even on new records the mixes were odd on early CDs. I remember getting the LP and CD of McCartney's Flowers In The Dirt in 1989 and the guitar work was muddy on CD while it had a lot of presence on vinyl.

It still happens sometimes as the sound is very open on the The Beach Boys That's Why God Made The Radio vinyl, but there is a crowded feel to the CD that doesn't really let you enjoy the harmonies to the same degree.

Being that I am much more of a vinyl guy, I do have to give credit where credit is due and say the 2007 remasters are pretty faithful to my perfered format.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:06 am

i noticed something through headphones ive never heard before. playing the 1960 gospel sessions on cm you can hear someone talk during one of the songs and E rattling the lyric sheet.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:57 pm

jasper wrote:I have collected Elvis vinyl, books and CD's for 30 years. With regardss to CD's I have all the original releases, all FTD, and probably 80% of imports. When the Complete Masters was first released I never bothered to get it as I have all the original albums on vinyl and CD in their original format that Elvis and RCA released them so I asked myself - Do I need this set?

As a collector you always seem to want more and more - but is this really worth getting or will it just take up space on the shelf. Is it better to have the original albums as they were released when Elvis was alive. Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Jasper.

The Complete Masters (remastered!!) has the best quality but of corse it depends on your stereo system whether you can notice the difference.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 pm

I thoroughly recommend every Elvis fan to invest in The Complete Masters-set. It´s such a marvellous undertaking, the extraordinary sound and the beautiful book are major advantages over any previous CD with Elvis. Vic Anesinis mastering of the recordings are as mentioned in the thread second to none. For comparison I also advice every fan to buy every original US album released during Elvis lifetime, LPM-1254 ´til AFL1-2428. Nothing beats a cleaned original album on a good playback-setup, but The Complete Masters comes in the closest to my ears.
I have the second edition, bought it from the US only 6 weeks ago.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Tell u what i did find strange, that even with advanced tech they thought the Sun records couldnt be bettered from way back in 2004, did they try ?