Off Topic Messages

since Halloween is creeping up..

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:57 am

What fav Halloween type movies are on your every year watch list? My new favorite this year is "Trick r Treat" very enjoyable plots in the stories and one of my new favorites. Also on my list , husband and I watch "Dead of Night" (1945) every year and "Creepshow","Carnival of Souls", "The Fog" (original ) and since I got him "Island of Lost Souls" (1932) we'll be watching that one again. We've bypassed the 3 original "Halloween" films the last couple of years, we've watched them TOO many times each over the years. Notable mention: High on my list is "Deathdream" (1972) "The Night Stalker" 1972 and "Mulberry Street" WHICH GIVES ME THE CREEPS! Happy Halloween! 8)

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:02 am

Well, I've been wading through the Karloff and Lugosi movies that have bypassed me over the years. I saw The Walking Dead a few nights back (a depressing little film by the director of King Creole, no less), but won't be watching anything on the night itself as I'm not here. But Zombies Over Broadway is next on list of to-watch vintage horrors, and I need to rewatch I Walked With A Zombie for some work I'm doing as well.

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 am

poormadpeter wrote:Well, I've been wading through the Karloff and Lugosi movies that have bypassed me over the years. I saw The Walking Dead a few nights back (a depressing little film by the director of King Creole, no less), but won't be watching anything on the night itself as I'm not here. But Zombies Over Broadway is next on list of to-watch vintage horrors, and I need to rewatch I Walked With A Zombie for some work I'm doing as well.

Haven't watched "I walked with a zombie" for ages! Very well done for it's time! No TV watching for us tonight,taking turns helping grandson with his home work lol.

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:24 am

I like scary comedies. "Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" is kinda fun!

(And with my new Paperwhite, I might read Mary Shelley's original on Halloween! Also, I hope "Dark Matters" is on the Science Channel. That's a blast!)

It's fun to check out the web sites on Dia De Los Muertos, too. It makes it a three-day holiday, and the more holiday there is, the more I like it! (I am careful with the candy, but I will have a few little Butterfingers. That was Elvis's fave candy, you know! And I like 'em.)

rjm

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:34 am

rjm wrote:I like scary comedies. "Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" is kinda fun!

(And with my new Paperwhite, I might read Mary Shelley's original on Halloween! Also, I hope "Dark Matters" is on the Science Channel. That's a blast!)

It's fun to check out the web sites on Dia De Los Muertos, too. It makes it a three-day holiday, and the more holiday there is, the more I like it! (I am careful with the candy, but I will have a few little Butterfingers. That was Elvis's fave candy, you know! And I like 'em.)

rjm

I love all the Abbott & Costello movies! watched them all growing up! :D

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:01 am

Check this out! I think it's the whole movie! Enjoy!

I forgot the link!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlrtsa_abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein_shortfilms?start=3

Boo! :smt004

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 am

I love the original "Psycho" and watch it every year around this time for some reason. I also enjoy
Re-Animator
Ghostbusters (yep)
Jeepers Creepers
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Creepshow

I do love The Night Stalker as well, McGavin was such a great actor!

Here is a neat little horror film you can watch in its entirety on youtube called "Pontypool"-a legitimately creepy film that really stays with you:
phpBB [video]



I hate the feeling of being scared, but I do love the suspense and intrigue that goes with the best horror films. It's a great time of year to peek at these movies.

JosephC

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 am

These 3 will be watched this Halloween
phpBB [video]


phpBB [video]


phpBB [video]

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:41 pm

enjoyed the HORROR OF DRACULA trailer.
Have you heard if this restored version of the film is being released here in the US on DVD / BD?
That would be....................AWESOME ! ! !

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm

elvisbot wrote:enjoyed the HORROR OF DRACULA trailer.
Have you heard if this restored version of the film is being released here in the US on DVD / BD?
That would be....................AWESOME ! ! !

im sure the release is coming soon with restored scenes

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 am

rjm wrote:Check this out! I think it's the whole movie! Enjoy!

I forgot the link!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlrtsa_abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein_shortfilms?start=3

Boo! :smt004

rjm

LOL Boo back! and thanks for the link! :D

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:48 am

JosephC wrote:I love the original "Psycho" and watch it every year around this time for some reason. I also enjoy
Re-Animator
Ghostbusters (yep)
Jeepers Creepers
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Creepshow

I do love The Night Stalker as well, McGavin was such a great actor!

Here is a neat little horror film you can watch in its entirety on youtube called "Pontypool"-a legitimately creepy film that really stays with you:
phpBB [video]



I hate the feeling of being scared, but I do love the suspense and intrigue that goes with the best horror films. It's a great time of year to peek at these movies.

JosephC

Thanks for the link to this movie...watched it and LOVED IT! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Gonna get this on dvd...the husband wants a copy!!

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:15 am

This one is pretty eye-opening:
http://www.loosechange911.com/about/synopsis/

Re: since Halloween is creeping up..

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:This one is pretty eye-opening:
http://www.loosechange911.com/about/synopsis/


It's not so much "who" as who did it benefit? The old question works. Haliburton. It's not so much who planned and executed it, because it was planned and executed by a group of people whose goal it was to terrorize the American people so much that they'd accept anything, one of whom we know for sure. That one was killed in Pakistan. Did he have the complicity of those who benefited most? We will never know, but his endorsement of John Kerry in 2004 is intriguing; he wanted the re-election of Dubya. Why would he want that? Simple: he clearly felt safer. For good reason, as we now know. The other guy would have killed him. Another guy DID, finally. The first guy, he must have known, would not do so. In fact, Dubya said that Bin Laden just wasn't that important to him to even keep thinking about. Bin Laden was certainly useful!

But to even ask the question, invites scorn, and even ridicule. That's just not worth it. But it is worthwhile to ask how it was USED, in the aftermath, and to ask who that benefitted. Haliburton, for one. Then, the loss of our privacy, and to be secure in our persons. The need to wear slippers to the airport, so you don't have to "take off your shoes," in a ritual of submission. The acceptance of the fact that some stranger in an airport might feel up your six-year-old for "the greater good." The fear of everything . . . so that you'll do anything, give up anything. To power. That is the goal of terrorism, no matter who is behind the act. The goal of such terror is to destroy a democratic republic from within its soul.

Who benefitted? We know that. We have to stop accepting it, and realize that our freedoms, promised to us a very long time ago, have a value and worth that we cannot trade for any reason. If WE did that, we wouldn't have to worry about "who" did something like this, because we wouldn't let fear destroy who we are, nor would any future attacks have any purpose. That's because we could not BE terrorized, so it would not happen. Sad that's not the case. So, in the end, it's us: we allowed our freedoms to be surrendered to power, and we can stop doing that.

rjm
P.S. -- I won't watch that on Halloween. I plan to CHILL!