Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Have you bought HITS OF THE 70's?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 am

I see. Tickle Me has some merit, though, filling a gap in the soundtrack series, provided that the rest of the soundtracks are being released, separately or otherwise.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:03 am

IIRC, the Tickle Me FTD was said to have been another Roger Semon escapade.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 am

elvisalisellers wrote:IIRC, the Tickle Me FTD was said to have been another Roger Semon escapade.

That’s not unlikely, and, most likely, so is Our Memories of Elvis. Both of these releases are fine, because they add something to the collection. I can’t see that Hits of the ’70s fills that function.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:08 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Rob wrote:I bought it. However, if this is the direction FTD is heading, my days of collecting every release will come to an end.

That´s just what I´m going to do, mine is on the way :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 am

And a fine escapade it was, Thank you, Roger.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:42 am

Matthew wrote:Those buying this to complete collections are only compounding the problem. With this release FTD are truly ripping off the collector base, knowing full well there will be sales to those eager for complete collections. Bad move FTD, you lost some respect with this release. As noted elsewhere, this isn't a simple case of "don't like it, don't buy it" - this is cause for concern over the vision guiding the label. We should be critical, and we should not be impressed. FTD should not take their customer base for granted in this fashion.

I agree, with sadness. I haven't been here long but have been quite vocal about how important FTD has been in making me an Elvis fan & collector in the first place, but although I'm a huge 70s fan, I'll never buy this. I can spare £20, but I'd rather give it to a needy person on the street than give it for CDs containing not one second of previously unavailable sound.

An FTD of "Elvis Sings For Children & Molluscs Too" is looking increasingly likely if this thing sells :(

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 am

Matthew wrote:Those buying this to complete collections are only compounding the problem. With this release FTD are truly ripping off the collector base, knowing full well there will be sales to those eager for complete collections. Bad move FTD, you lost some respect with this release. As noted elsewhere, this isn't a simple case of "don't like it, don't buy it" - this is cause for concern over the vision guiding the label. We should be critical, and we should not be impressed. FTD should not take their customer base for granted in this fashion.

Perfectly stated.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 am

Nope.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:49 am

Would anyone be interested in trading 5 copies of Hits From The 70's
for my Tupelo set?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:09 am

iplayastrat wrote:Would anyone be interested in trading 5 copies of Hits From The 70's
for my Tupelo set?

You are kidding, right? I would in an instant. Or ten of them if you've got Fashion For A King.

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 am

bpmod wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:Would anyone be interested in trading 5 copies of Hits From The 70's
for my Tupelo set?

You are kidding, right? I would in an instant. Or ten of them if you've got Fashion For A King.

Brian

I might be kidding about wanting copies of Hits From The 70's.
But many times I'm fortunate to have multiple copies of sets
(everyone of my family and friends knows I'm a big Elvis fan).

I happen to have an extra copy of both of those titles.
Don't know whether I should trade them or sale them.
Just don't tell the person(s) who gave them to me.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:36 am

iplayastrat wrote:
bpmod wrote:
for my Tupelo set?

Brian

I would never tell!

Oh, and by the way, do you really play a strat?

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:41 am

bpmod wrote:I would never tell!

Oh, and by the way, do you really play a strat?

Brian

Brian if you're interested in one or both send me a p.m.
with an offer. That is, if you live in the lower 48.

Yes sir I play a strat. A Strat Plus to be exact.
One fine American made guitar.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:57 am

I sent a PM before I made that post.

I play a Seagull 12-string (at least that's the favourite of all of mine). Canadian made and beautiful. I still have a few Fenders on my wish list.

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 am

bpmod wrote:I play a Seagull 12-string (at least that's the favourite of all of mine). Canadian made and beautiful. I still have a few Fenders on my wish list.

Dude I had one of them. An S12 I believe? A nice guitar.

If money is an issue, check out Fender's Squire Classic Vibe series.
The Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster, and the Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster
are excellent guitars for the money. Regular price is about $380 for both
models. But you could probably get them for around $300 on sale.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:50 pm

I have not bought it.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Rob wrote:I bought it. However, if this is the direction FTD is heading, my days of collecting every release will come to an end.

Squandering money for no reason is fun though, surely? :wink:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:04 pm

memfisking wrote:Nope. It's the first FTD that i won't be buying, releases like this seem like money grabbers and go against everything that FTD was set up for.

I would love to know what idiot in the FTD camp came up with the idea of releasing this cd and also why the f##k Ernst or Roger actually approved it?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££.....................................

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Polk Salad Andy wrote:Why is this release getting so much negativity? I have only recently started collecting FTDs, and I don't understand what is the difference with this release compared to other releases. Can someone please enlighten me, as I was thinking of getting this one soon.

Regards,
Andy

This is a 'greatest hits' package on a 'collectors' label. In other words, this is not a rare or unreleased concert or a package containing out-takes, rehearsals or alternate masters etc.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:11 pm

iplayastrat wrote:
bpmod wrote:
for my Tupelo set?

Brian

Wow!! I wish I had friends that would lavish £100 box sets on me all the time as a 'surprise'!! :)

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:16 pm

hm80ep wrote:I did not buy it (although I do own all the other FTD CDs).

Do I regret not having bought it? Not really. A complete FTD collection be damned.

Agree, but neither did I buy the 'Rockin Across Texas' re-issued CDs as I have them already with the FTD book.
sweetangeline wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I am happy with it..great compilation.... :smt007

AGREE 100%

Me too - BUT I compiled myself from The Complete Masters - a nice selection but hardly worth buying again.
With the Tupelo book, Bootleg book, Graceland book, Elvis Files books etc, it has been a DAMN expensive year.

Cheers
Piers

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Tony.. wrote:

Absolutely, but why would I squander it on a greatest hits compilation when I can get an audience recording that sounds like hell?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Rob wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

Absolutely, but why would I squander it on a greatest hits compilation when I can get an audience recording that sounds like hell?

I love you Rob!! lol

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Rob wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

That's true and there are about 10 of these a month being released! :lol:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:26 pm

JerryNodak wrote:And a fine escapade it was, Thank you, Roger.

Ernst took a backseat on this one?

I knew it had Semon all over it.

Geoff