Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:14 am

It's fair to say by now that the majority of fans are distinctly unimpressed with FTD's revision of the now infamous 1974 UK only compilation album.

With no previously unreleased material on offer, it's hard to grasp as to who this ill-conceived "collectors" release was actually aimed at.

The irony of course [and as I noted in a previous thread] if done well it had the potential to be one of the most surprising and satisfying FTD upgrades in recent times.

Consider this format and sequence:

Disc 1

Original Album:

01) The Wonder Of You (mono master) *
02) I'm Leavin' (mono master) *
03) Burning Love
04) Always On My Mind
05) I Just Can't Help Believin'
06) You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (mono master) *
07) There Goes My Everything (mono master) *
08) Rags To Riches (mono master) *
09) Until It's Time For You To Go
10) Kentucky Rain (mono master)
11) I've Lost You (mono master) *
12) An American Trilogy

Bonus A-sides:

13) Don't Cry Daddy (mono master)
14) Polk Salad Annie
15) Separate Ways (flipped U.S. A-side)
16) Fool
17) Take Good Care Of Her
18) I've Got A Thing About You Baby (flipped U.S. A-side)
19) If You Talk In Your Sleep
20) My Boy
21) Promised Land
22) T-R-O-U-B-L-E
23) Green, Green Grass Of Home
24) Hurt

Disc 2

A-sides (continued):

01) Moody Blue
02) Way Down
03) My Way
04) It Won't Seem Like Christmas Without You

Bonus tracks:

05) The Wonder Of You (stereo remix)
06) I'm Leavin' (stereo remix)
07) Burning Love (undubbed master) *
08) Always On My Mind (alternate mix)
09) I Just Can't Help Believin' (remix sans artificial applause) *
10) You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (undubbed master) *
11) There Goes My Everything (undubbed master) *
12) Rags To Riches (stereo remix)
13) Until It's Time For You To Go (undubbed master) *
14) Kentucky Rain (undubbed master) *
15) I've Lost You (undubbed master) *
16) An American Trilogy (alt. Feb. '72) *
17) Don't Cry Daddy (undubbed master) *
18) Separate Ways (strings mix) *
19) I've Got A Thing About You Baby (strings mix - unedited) *
20) Promised Land (harmony vocal remix - unedited) *
21) Hurt (remix) *
22) Way Down (true undubbed master) *
23) Merry Christmas Baby (true undubbed master - original U.S. A-side / 1979 U.K. B-side) *

* Denotes previously unreleased

(Note: It's possible some of the 1970 mono masters have appeared on long deleted vintage cd's)
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hits Of The 70's FTD - Shoulda woulda coulda...

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:29 am

In the past Ernst says he wants to respect Elvis wishes, then surely featuring original monophonic no matter what era, should have been included on Hits of the 70's ? The best of both mediums. Ernst you blew a great opportunity to do so , my Friend.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:44 am

Robt wrote:In the past Ernst says he wants to respect Elvis wishes, then surely featuring original monophonic no matter what era, should have been included on Hits of the 70's ? The best of both mediums. Ernst you blew a great opportunity to do so , my Friend.

Didn’t you read my reply to you in another thread? Ernst had nothing at all to do with this release. Nothing at all. The only one responsible is Roger Semon. He alone can answer for this release. He had his reasons for issuing Hits of the ’70s, and he may reveal them to us in due time, or he may not. Whether or not we agree with his arguments is another matter.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 am

I want to publicly thank Roger Semon for having the balls to release "Hits Of The '70's." Whatever his reasons were. Tune out naysayers, Roger. Carry on your excellent work, Sir.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:02 am

Does that really matter ? EJ has stated a number of times he wanted to respect Elvis wishes. FTD is more of EJ's initiative than Mr. Roger Semon.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:05 am

Robt wrote:Does that really matter ? EJ has stated a number of times he wanted to respect Elvis wishes. FTD is more of EJ's initiative than Mr. Roger Semon.

It does.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 am

No it doesn't. They're supposed to be a team - EJ and Roger. And Roger Semon would have been well aware of the EJ "respects Elvis wishes" principle. Therefore mono mixes should have also been included. How else can they be better presented ?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 am

Is Ernst credited on the release?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:46 am

This is a good release.
Some tracks has only been released in mono.
This should have been an Legacy release.
The they could have used the money they got from the Legacy release and release this on vinyl instead. :smt003 :smt006

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 am

It doesn't matter whose release it is - it's from FTD, whether it'ss EJ or RS behind it is neither here not there. And, no doubt, even if Semon is behind the release, it would have been discussed with Jorgensen since every other release that I know of has come from.

What is important is that there were some serious misjudgements going on, and the only way people can show their discontent with the release is by not buying it.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 am

Well, at least Jerry's happy.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 am

On average, how many copies does FTD sell per release? 3000-5000? Even if a faction of fans justifiably pass on purchasing this reissue, it will probably still sell a couple thousand. And considering the music was previously mastered and simply recycled on this release, there isn't a ton of production costs that went into the finished project. If this has less sales than a typical release, FTD most likely isn't going to care. Not enough consumers are going to pass on this for an obvious point to be made.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:20 am

21 previously unreleased tracks (that would have likely never been released by FTD in any other context) and people are complaining? Wow! If Venus would have released them people would have jumped with joy. Just tells me how spoiled we have become. Let's enjoy the FTD label while it lasts!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 am

midnightx wrote:On average, how many copies does FTD sell per release? 3000-5000? Even if a faction of fans justifiably pass on purchasing this reissue, it will probably still sell a couple thousand. And considering the music was previously mastered and simply recycled on this release, there isn't a ton of production costs that went into the finished project. If this has less sales than a typical release, FTD most likely isn't going to care. Not enough consumers are going to pass on this for an obvious point to be made.

I think your slowly warming to the idea midnightx, thanks it`s nice to see, now please get back to your insightful posts that I always enjoyed reading and let this release go, december is coming and everbody will be relieved

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:31 am

What are babbling about? My position about this release has never wavered.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:36 am

thenexte wrote:21 previously unreleased tracks (that would have likely never been released by FTD in any other context) and people are complaining? Wow! If Venus would have released them people would have jumped with joy. Just tells me how spoiled we have become. Let's enjoy the FTD label while it lasts!

If you can find 21 previous unreleased tracks on the actual Hits of the 70s release then you are seeing another product to most of us!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 am

thenexte wrote:21 Zero previously unreleased tracks

There. Fixed that for you.

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 am

midnightx wrote:What are babbling about? My position about this release has never wavered.

don`t ruin a good thing, we seem to be getting along now :D educate me some more :lol:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 am

The promo mono 45 masters of late 1971-75 are also pretty cool and should be heard again too.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:45 am

thenexte wrote:21 previously unreleased tracks (that would have likely never been released by FTD in any other context) and people are complaining? Wow! If Venus would have released them people would have jumped with joy. Just tells me how spoiled we have become. Let's enjoy the FTD label while it lasts!

You didn't understand. The tracklisting on the first post was what this FTD actually COULD - and SHOULD - be. The "real deal" is less exciting (read: just another compilation).

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:52 am

svallen wrote:This is a good release.
Some tracks has only been released in mono.
This should have been an Legacy release.
The they could have used the money they got from the Legacy release and release this on vinyl instead. :smt003 :smt006

A Good Release ?!?? Yes I Suppose it is - but also very subjective.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 am

Matthew wrote:Is Ernst credited on the release?

Of course he’s not. That’s why I wrote that Ernst has nothing at all to do with this release. Roger is responsible for everything. It’s his baby. All questions must be addressed to the father, not to the business partner. Unfortunately, a certain clown on this board does not understand that. He keeps asking Roy Hodgson why Nathaniel Clyne is playing for the England U21 team when he should have asked Stuart Pearce that question.

Hits of the ’70s is a very nice collection of songs, and the booklet is stunning, but it doesn’t belong on a hardcore collector’s label. If there are more releases like this one, a lot of people, including myself, will have holes in their collections. When that happens, I will lose a lot of interest in the label as a whole. My patience is already stretched quite a lot.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 am

Can anyone confirm which version of My Way is included on this release?

Thanks.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:44 am

Mike S wrote:Can anyone confirm which version of My Way is included on this release?

Thanks.

It’s the version from June 21, 1977. Thanks for asking.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
Mike S wrote:Can anyone confirm which version of My Way is included on this release?

Thanks.

It’s the version from June 21, 1977. Thanks for asking.

Keith Flynn has corrected me. It’s actually the version from April 25, 1977, we’re listening to. Sorry about that, I was a bit too quick.