Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Has Ernst and FTD as a whole lost the Plot ?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am

My thoughts are.... NO he hasn't. What do others think or feel about it particularly In the wake of the Hits of the 70's.
Certainly it's obvious that the FTD has moved on from it's original game plan back in 1999 and widened it's goalposts. It may also be that Ernst needs releases such as these in order to keep the FTD viable for another decade if, as and when new discoveries are made. What's "Very Unfortunate" is that many of you fail to realize it. You don't have to pre-order or buy the product.

Re: Has Ernst and FTD as a whole lost the Plot ?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:16 pm

I would say that FTD is still a treasure for me.

But I stopped buying every single release. I was thinking about it for some time and I came to conclusion that theres no reason to give away 20+ GBP for something I won't use (listen) more then once. Just to have complete set. I don't care anymore to have complete set.

From that point it doesn't bother me that FTD is releasing super expensive books and thinkgs like that "70's greatets hits" album now, because I just not going to buy them.
As simple as that.

I'm just reseting the time clock and waiting for next batch.
Oh yea and spend that 20GBP on other artist album (or rather albums, cause you can get 2-3 albums from other artisits for a price of single FTD).

Still hoping to buy a lot of great FTDs in the future.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm

It is on the tip of my tongue to say you lost the plot a little bit, Robt with your proposals of Elvis sings for childern and The Sound of Your Cry (1981) :wink: But that's childish because you question is ligitimid.

I would summarize it as that Ernst with Hits Of The 70s is exploring a direction of introducing hit orignal compilations filled with masters we already have on TCM. Whether this is a strategic choise because sales are dropping or he is seriously convinced these kind of releases are contributing to FTD, I think general consensus is that 'masters only' releases are a dead end street. I will not buy Hits Of The 70s because it does not contribute to my collection and the high price does not justify the content (nothing new to be found).

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:42 pm

I only have a few FTDs in my collection. Is FTD about keeping up a good quality and a CD which has importance beyond normal album issues for the collector without compromising the gaol of making a profit? Im still not sure which FTD is about. FTD has put out a lot of soundboards, how many do we need? The Masters series is a good idea, now we have compilation releases. Is that true to the spirit of what FTD is about?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:30 pm

TheMaskedClown wrote:I only have a few FTDs in my collection. Is FTD about keeping up a good quality and a CD which has importance beyond normal album issues for the collector without compromising the gaol of making a profit? Im still not sure which FTD is about. FTD has put out a lot of soundboards, how many do we need? The Masters series is a good idea, now we have compilation releases. Is that true to the spirit of what FTD is about?

Originally FTD was about making a soundboard concert available from each and every tour, to release material which is of historical value and not of interest of the general public (rehearsals, outtakes, themed albums) and to make the records released during Elvis' lifetime available with outtakes in the Classic Album series.

A series to rerelease previously released masters in my opinion ruins the carefully constructed catalogue they have built up over the years. A FTD release is relatively expensive and asking topdollar or topeuro for known material for me is not the way to go. I already stopped buying every release and it will make me even more selective.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Alexander wrote:
TheMaskedClown wrote:I only have a few FTDs in my collection. Is FTD about keeping up a good quality and a CD which has importance beyond normal album issues for the collector without compromising the gaol of making a profit? Im still not sure which FTD is about. FTD has put out a lot of soundboards, how many do we need? The Masters series is a good idea, now we have compilation releases. Is that true to the spirit of what FTD is about?

Originally FTD was about making a soundboard concert available from each and every tour, to release material which is of historical value and not of interest of the general public (rehearsals, outtakes, themed albums) and to make the records released during Elvis' lifetime available with outtakes in the Classic Album series.

A series to rerelease previously released masters in my opinion ruins the carefully constructed catalogue they have built up over the years. A FTD release is relatively expensive and asking topdollar or topeuro for known material for me is not the way to go. I already stopped buying every release and it will make me even more selective.

I have to agree. The original idea for FTD was as you state for collectors etc. This new FTD Hits of the 70s is not in the spirit of the original idea. Its the first FTD I have considered not buying. I know everyone has a freedom of choice but I have all the FTDs and as I say I have considered not buying this one.

Most of us are feeling the financial pinch and to release this worthless FTD is disappointing. YES I want my FTD collection complete but up until now there has been worth to each release. I cant see any point in buying this Hits of the 70s.

Maybe Ermst should clarify why this is being released and if indeed the goalposts have been widened.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Quick side question......

Has Ernest worked on all FTD releases? And how many people work for him?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:20 pm

I just don't get the point and I never felt that way about any other FTD.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 pm

It's a great idea if it serves the purpose of owning many masters if you don't have the complete masters box. The problem being that it is full priced!! Put a 12 euros tag on it and it could be great!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

For those of a certain age , like me, its cool to at least have the option of getting this as an official product, and not one of these new CM Import releases, but i agree about the price, and maybe it could have been a Legacy release? , or maybe Ernst needs a new label for these products ?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Jorgensen said when FTD started that it should be in the Colonel style, just one pressing in limited quantity
and when sold it would be gone forever. It seems that the plan has changed a bit, but for the best.
Jorgensen once stated that FTD sold their records at normal prices to the fanclubs but they choosed to
set a higher price. Whatever is true there is no plot to be lost, we all should be glad for every release FTD
put out, it is up to yourself to buy every release or to select the releases you like. There is a lot of fans
started with a certain album and are glad to see it released, me for myself I don't care about soundboards
or compilations, to each his own I suppose.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm

It's to early to say the FTD agenda has changed. This is one CD out of 100+ and the other recent ones including coming soons are within normal policy. At the end of the day we have a choice. I don't buy all, I skip some soundboards and films. I spend more money on other artists now but I don't expect every purchase to be a good one. That's part of the excitement or disappointment I guess of the buying process. In many ways we are very lucky as we have a good idea of content and quality before we buy making the decision an easy one. The success rate of FTD releases I believe is extremely high and has got better over time. This release is I agree a strange one but I am sure it's really just an experiment so buy or don't it's your choice. FTD have brought me huge pleasure over the year's and I am sure that will continue for a while yet.

Cheers jamie

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Someone already said it..it was Roger`s idea..he is an English man..so
we have a connection to the UK release Hits Of The 70`s.
It contained in UK unreleased single versions ..and was a relatively rare LP.
There we have the collectors connection. And unreleased on CD anyway..until yet.
I think it`s the best compilation of 70`s hits..indeed.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Someone already said it..it was Roger`s idea..he is an English man..so
There we have the collectors connection. And unreleased on CD anyway..until yet.
I think it`s the best compilation of 70`s hits..indeed.

love it love it love it ::rocks

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:09 pm

dennyelvis wrote:For those of a certain age , like me, its cool to at least have the option of getting this as an official product, and not one of these new CM Import releases, but i agree about the price, and maybe it could have been a Legacy release? , or maybe Ernst needs a new label for these products ?

No offence but virtually nobody in the general market is going to buy a Legacy release of Hits of the 70s, with its horrendous artwork. To the casual buyer it would look deeply unappealing & like a budget £2.99 job.

On the other hand, as others have said, seeing as it isn't resembling music-wise the original album it's based on, by using the standard stereo mixes, it's pretty redundant to a lot of us as an FTD release too. I was optimistic about the monos being featured, but alas, it's a useless release IMO.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Someone already said it..it was Roger`s idea..he is an English man..so

I hear what you say, but the LP is STILL unreleased on CD, because the FTD uses the wrong versions :(

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 pm

According to the booklet the "random stereo and mono mixes"
of the original album were not used deliberately
...(to have a consistent image of mixes)..

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Ciscoking wrote:According to the booklet the "random stereo and mono mixes"

that`s actually true and I knew that long before (yrs) it said so in the new booklet from FTD, more thought went into this version

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 pm

I think that's a lame reason from FTD, as all their other Classic Albums have the original album first. Then fill it up with as many bonus mixes/songs as space will allow. Oh well, too late now, I'm not going to knock FTD too much as they've given me so much listening pleasure, but this release makes me a bit sad.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:29 pm

[quote="Ciscoking"]Someone already said it..it was Roger`s idea..he is an English man..so
I think it`s the best compilation of 70`s hits..indeed.[/quote]

Yes you're correct. It was Roger's idea but even so, the FTD is Ernst's baby. Therefore EJ has some explaining to do including why the original mono mixes (as Matt and others here have rightly pointed out) was overlooked, possibly not taken into consideration.

You are also correct about it being the best compilation of 70's hits, I agree, hence my earlier comment of the FTD Widening it's goal posts. Rock on Ciscoking...

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:45 am

But having the random mixes from the original album was exactly what most fans wanted and would have been a true selling point.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 am

Bollocks. That's a smokescreen for:

The stereo mixes are already mastered so its quick, easy, and cheaper to just sequence them up. If we elected to use the original mono masters we would have had to pay to create digital transfers, and for them to be mastered. Your £20 note is worth much more to us when we don't have to do that! (Evil cackle).

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:26 am

Matthew wrote:

Bollocks. That's a smokescreen for:

The stereo mixes are already mastered so its quick, easy, and cheaper to just sequence them up. If we elected to use the original mono masters we would have had to pay to create digital transfers, and for them to be mastered. Your £20 note is worth much more to us when we don't have to do that! (Evil cackle).

I tend to agree.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:12 am

Robt wrote:My thoughts are.... NO he hasn't. What do others think or feel about it particularly In the wake of the Hits of the 70's.
Certainly it's obvious that the FTD has moved on from it's original game plan back in 1999 and widened it's goalposts. It may also be that Ernst needs releases such as these in order to keep the FTD viable for another decade if, as and when new discoveries are made. What's "Very Unfortunate" is that many of you fail to realize it. You don't have to pre-order or buy the product.

Has Ernst and FTD as a whole lost the Plot ?

NO

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:42 am

There's no point in releasing it if it doesn't contain the "random mixes" of the original. We already have many compilations around... The entire point of this one was that it could be a way to officially reissue some original mono mixes for collectors. It would be, indeed, a collectors' release then - after all many of us have been asking for these mono versions in the past.

Somehow it even looks like a bad joke. You know... "Hey, here's a release that contained mono mixes which you've been asking for - but surprise! they are gone. Here, have the same stereo versions that you already have and pay us £20 for a collectors' edition of what is no more a collectors' release. Thank you!"

Some of you may remember that I was one of the first to defend this release. It could be understandable... But now? No point. I don't mind FTD releasing compilations, but as a collectors' label the least that they can do is release one that contains, well, material of interest for collectors. Otherwise there's no point. It's not fitting even the "sentimental reasons" argument as it is not the original LP.
Last edited by billyblues on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.