Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Quentin Tarantino question

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:39 am

I should know this but when did Quentin Tarantino become an Elvis fan?

Has he ever said exactly when and how he became a fan.

Re: Quentin Tarantino question

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:39 pm

No idea. In the blood-thirsty and over-rated movies he makes, I never saw any reference to Elvis amongst people's ears being cut off, German soldiers being 'scalped' etc.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm

then you've never seen "True Romance"

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Didn't Tarantino have a cameo as Elvis in The Golden Girls years ago too?

Certainly, having Elvis (played by Val Kilmer) as the guiding voice for Clarence in True Romance was a great facet of the movie.

I like you Clarence - always have, always will...

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm

I read that when asked if he would ever make a movie about Elvis, it would be about the first day he entered Memphis Recording Service. Tarantino is considered cool by youngsters, so I think this would be good for Elvis' image. I would like to see him direct "Last Train To Memphis", which is scheduled to be made a film of in 2013. But that probably won't happen.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 pm

When asked about Elvis and the Beatles in 2007, Tarantino said:

"Now I'm an Elvis over the Beatles man any day of the week. But there's always been something special about Ringo, alright. I always thought he had the best stage presence out of the band."

He's probably been a fan since he was a kid.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Tarantino said in some interview that had Elvis been alive when he did Kill Bill 1 and 2, he would have liked Elvis to play Bill.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 am

There is also an Elvis discussion in the extended version of Pulp Fiction, and `Elvis-style glasses' were specifically chosen for a character in Kill Bill 1.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:56 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:then you've never seen "True Romance"

Nope. How many people get their heads blown off and ears cut off in that? :mrgreen:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 pm

TJ wrote:When asked about Elvis and the Beatles in 2007, Tarantino said:

"Now I'm an Elvis over the Beatles man any day of the week. But there's always been something special about Ringo, alright. I always thought he had the best stage presence out of the band."

He's probably been a fan since he was a kid.

There's a scene in Pulp Fiction where Uma says to John " an Elvis man should love it'. That was the follow up to a cut scene where characters had to state their preference: Elvis or the Beatles.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Tarantino has been an Elvis fan since childhood, although I don't recall him mentioning what specific age, he has spoken about favourite films and television shows from the sixties, so he may have a recollection of Elvis from then. Certainly from the following decade, however, having spoken of one particular Christmas when he wanted an Evel Knievel toy, but got the Elvis Christmas Album instead.

As mentioned, Tarantino's affection for Elvis often manifests itself in his films -- he did appear in The Golden Girls as an Elvis impersonator, incidentally. Without jumpsuit, unlike the others who were present in this scene. Tarantino wanting to channel the Hillbilly Cat, as opposed to the later image. Although, a Don Ho song was used here, as opposed to an Elvis track. As a writer and director, however, he's undoubtedly one of the pivotal figures in cinema over the past twenty years -- and certainly wears his influences on his sleeve; but with terrific success. I'm sure most of us are aware of him emulating, somewhat, the Hangout from Speedway as part of Jack Rabbit Slim's in Pulp Fiction, whilst the Mentor (Elvis) in True Romance (which QT wrote wrote and Tony Scott directed) and the use of Elvis-style shades have been mentioned, of course. In Kill Bill, Vol. 2. Samuel L. Jackson's character, Rufus, plays Love Me Tender on the organ at Bill and Beatrix Kiddo's wedding rehearsal. There's also a notion that the contents of the briefcase from Pulp Fiction (a nod to Kiss Me Deadly) is Elvis-related, namely, his gold lame suit -- the contents are left to speculation, with the most common notion being that Marsellus Wallace's soul is kept within. But the gold suit idea is a cool one, and it ties to True Romance, of course.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Tony.. wrote:

Nope. How many people get their heads blown off and ears cut off in that? :mrgreen:

None that I recall, but there is more than ample blood and gun play, also a very violent scene between James Gandolfini and Patricia Arquette. The performances by all the cast are stellar and were roles that some of these actors dream of playing. There's one scene in particular between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper that's been touted by some as up there with the greatest 10 minutes in cinematic history. I can accept the fact that violence in film may not be something you care to see and won't recommend this if you're disturbed by it but this film in particular is so laden with Elvis inspired content, both blatant and subtle, that no one that sees it that is well versed in the Elvis world could possibly walk away thinking that the writer (QT) was also not a serious fan.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 pm

In a "making of" documentary for Pulp Fiction Tarintino tells how he copied the bar where Elvis sings "Let Yourself Go" in Speedway for the bar scene for the dance sequence. In the deleted scene Thurman asks Travolta if he's an Elvis man or a Beatles man & tells him you can only be one or the other !!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

None that I recall, but there is more than ample blood and gun play, also a very violent scene between James Gandolfini and Patricia Arquette. The performances by all the cast are stellar and were roles that some of these actors dream of playing. There's one scene in particular between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper that's been touted by some as up there with the greatest 10 minutes in cinematic history. I can accept the fact that violence in film may not be something you care to see and won't recommend this if you're disturbed by it but this film in particular is so laden with Elvis inspired content, both blatant and subtle, that no one that sees it that is well versed in the Elvis world could possibly walk away thinking that the writer (QT) was also not a serious fan.

I agree. 'True Romance' is a classic cult film, so many great acting scenes in it.

The Dennis Hopper/Chistopher Walken scene is one of the best moments in any Tarentino film.

Gary Oldman puts in another fantastic performance in this film.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:16 am

Tony.. wrote:

Tony,
"True Romance" brilliantly directed by Tony Scott (recently departed) and written by Quentin; it is one of the best movies ever made with an incredible cast, though it is not a movie for everyone....it is extremely violent and the unrated director's cut is even more of a thrill ride. Highly underated, "Romance" is worthy of repeated viewings. Gary Oldman gives what should have been an Oscar winning performance as DREXL and Dennis Hopper is so cool as Clarence's dad. Clarence is a comic book, Sonny Cheba, Elvis loving guy that takes advice from the ghost of Elvis. If someone likes to watch extremely well written, well acted, and well directed movies then this one is a MUST!

Tarrantino writes witty dialogue in all of his movies and he unlike others writer/directors knows what character development is all about; his movies play out on many different levels. Not every Tarantino movie is a masterpiece but every one of them can be appreciated from different aspects and most all of them have scene stealers that are most memorable.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:47 am

DarrylMac wrote:Didn't Tarantino have a cameo as Elvis in The Golden Girls years ago too?
Certainly, having Elvis (played by Val Kilmer) as the guiding voice for Clarence in True Romance was a great facet of the movie.

yup he did...
phpBB [video]

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:44 am

DarrylMac wrote:Didn't Tarantino have a cameo as Elvis in The Golden Girls years ago too?

true romance, what a great movie! Liked Nic Cage doing Elvis in wild at heart too.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:42 am

Some claim he was 11 and 4 months old when the Elvis bug bit, right around July 27, 1974.