Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I've appeared dead before ... Elvis' sense of humour

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 pm

"This is my first live appearance in nine years. I've appeared dead before but this is my first live." I think this line from In person is hilarious. From a philological point of view, anyway. Any better?

Jan

Re: I've appeared dead before ... Elvis' sense of humour

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:23 pm

janti wrote:"This is my first live appearance in nine years. I've appeared dead before but this is my first live." I think this line from In person is hilarious. From a philological point of view, anyway. Any better?

Jan

Philological point of view? Dear me, wasn't aware that was a field of study on Elvis' sense of humour!

One that does spring to mind is that "gaze at your mirror and wish you had hair" or was it "gaze at the mirror and look at your bald head"? Either way, it was funny.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm

"....I'd like to do a medley of some of my biggest records....well actually they were all about the same size - but it sounds impressive..."

I wonder who wrote his ad-libs in 1969 lol

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:21 pm

"Give me some water, Charlie."

That one cracks me up every time.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 pm

he had some hilarious quips in 69.....love those monologues

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 pm

those funky angels at the ceilin' man!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:41 pm

"I'd like to introduce the members of my band. Ronnie, this is Jerry...."

"He's Tutt, and he's Scheff. That's Tutt Scheff any way you look at it..."

"Those soliders must have been awful lonely, cos they called themselves Mother all the time....and that was only the half of it...."

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm

janti wrote:"This is my first live appearance in nine years. I've appeared dead before but this is my first live." I think this line from In person is hilarious. From a philological point of view, anyway. Any better?

I'm unsure if his quip is truly worthy of literary study, but his "life story" monologues done that month are truly a revelation, despite the humour with which they are delivered.

One of my favorite moments of the unique Presley humour on stage comes after he completes a fantastic performance of "Love Me Tender" on the second Ed Sullivan appearance, in New York on October 28, 1956. Ed comes up to greet him and tell the audience he'll be returning to do some more songs. He turns to the singer and asks if this is right (a rhetorical question, of course), and Elvis shakes his head. Sullivan is momentarily taken aback, and Elvis breaks out in a knowing smile.

Despite what some have claimed through the years, Presley knew exactly what he was doing in front of the TV cameras in 1956-57.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 am

Jan

Another one: "I would like to say hello to a couple of people in the audience: Hello, a couple of people in the audience!"

Jan

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 am

"Gatorade, looks like it's been used already." "Well, if it aids my gator" :smt003
Gets me everytime. He was right that old school gatorade did look nasty.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 am

janti wrote:Another one: "I would like to say hello to a couple of people in the audience: Hello, a couple of people in the audience!"Jan

I like that also....

"If you milk this thing long enough" with the mic stand in TTWII also 'springs to mind'

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 am

It was on the TTWII box (3 CDs) or the one in the back of the TTWII book (always confuse 'em). He was live. And he told the audience "the Vietnamese Army is in the balcony." Noises from the audience. Did they dive for cover? "Hey, you hear rumors. I just work here."

That was strange. And not seeing it, just hearing it, even stranger.

rjm

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:55 am

"I got a frog in my throat.... Fist meat I've had all day...."

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I'm unsure if his quip is truly worthy of literary study, but his "life story" monologues done that month are truly a revelation, despite the humour with which they are delivered.

One of my favorite moments of the unique Presley humour on stage comes after he completes a fantastic performance of "Love Me Tender" on the second Ed Sullivan appearance, in New York on October 28, 1956. Ed comes up to greet him and tell the audience he'll be returning to do some more songs. He turns to the singer and asks if this is right (a rhetorical question, of course), and Elvis shakes his head. Sullivan is momentarily taken aback, and Elvis breaks out in a knowing smile.

Despite what some have claimed through the years, Presley knew exactly what he was doing in front of the TV cameras in 1956-57.

Wow, what a nice, thoughtful reply! ;-)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

One of my favorite moments of the unique Presley humour on stage comes after he completes a fantastic performance of "Love Me" on the second Ed Sullivan appearance, in New York on October 28, 1956. Ed comes up to greet him and tell the audience he'll be returning to do some more songs. He turns to the singer and asks if this is right (a rhetorical question, of course), and Elvis shakes his head. Sullivan is momentarily taken aback, and Elvis breaks out in a knowing smile.

Of course. :wink: Okay, do you have a clip of this moment from Sullivan? I don't remember that, off the top of my head. Would like to see.

rjm

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Of course. :wink: Okay, do you have a clip of this moment from Sullivan? I don't remember that, off the top of my head. Would like to see.

Here you go.

Watch Elvis closely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5R5d36CVQA#t=5m42s

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC great observation. Thanks!! Elvis didn't look comfortable to me on the Welcome Home special with Frank Sinatra.