Chat talk and light discussion

question about downloading

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:26 pm

goodafternoon all, I am francis from the netherlands. I'm a new member here, can I also download CD's by Elvis Presley? if so, where can I find it? Thank you Francis

Re: question about downloading

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:55 am

francisse wrote:goodafternoon all, I am francis from the netherlands. I'm a new member here, can I also download CD's by Elvis Presley? if so, where can I find it? Thank you Francis

iTunes? Amazon?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:18 am

Downloading isn't really a popular thing here.

Hence the title Elvis "CD Collectors" :wink:

Originals always my friend !

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:Downloading isn't really a popular thing here.

..................................................................................................
Totally agree with you - ''elvispresleyfan1935 '' :D
This person who is enquiring must be for real - he /she must know by now - Lmao :smt003 - ::rocks

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 am

karlos wrote:

..................................................................................................
This person who is enquiring must be for real - he /she must know by now - Lmao :smt003 - ::rocks

There is no reason to look down on legal downloads. The snide remarks are unlikely to make new members feel welcome.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 am

It's okay to buy MP3s, and MP3 albums, but there will be a difference in sound quality. ITunes software now has an option to import your CDs in "lossless." They don't SELL stuff this way, and that's the problem. (In fact, I have heard a difference between ITunes MP3s and Amazon MP3s, and I think amazon's sounds better. I only bought two songs from them, compared to whole bunch from amazon, so it may be a fluke.) Amazon MP3s import directly into ITunes, so that's cool.

Another importing option is to choose "MP3" but make sure you pick the highest quality: 320 kbps, and NO variable bit rate. I also choose "error correction," and I hope that's correct.

Otherwise, you are limited to however they choose to compress the music. You may not hear a difference, but when you play it on great speakers, or even great headphones, you might.

Otherwise, SONY releases are available through the usual place, ITunes and Amazon.com, e-music. FTD-SONY products are NOT available that way. It's an audiophile product, and you must buy physical product, which you can do on-line, and they'll deliver. Go to shopelvis.com in the U.S. Or the outlet in the U.K., which is The Elvis Shop, or Now Dig This in Europe. They all deliver. Fine products!

In early 2011, Apple was in discussion with labels regarding offering lossless audiophile downloads, but it seems it went nowhere.

To just buy fave songs you like, there is usually a set of links next to YouTube videos. You click 'em, and buy. (Be careful; I once got directed to the wrong song.)

Hope this helps! :smt006

rjm ::rocks

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 am

In The Netherlands a.k.a. Holland it is legal to download music.
It is illegal however to share, sell, give away, upload music.
So if I would download music, burn it onto a CD and give this CD to a friend (or complete stranger), that last part is punishable by law.
If I spend €20 on buying an actual legal CD in a CD/record shop and upload it, I am doing something illegal.

In The Netherlands it is legal to buy softdrugs.
However, it is illegal to grow enough to sell through the coffeeshops, or for coffeeshops having more than a certain amount of weeds/hash in stock.
Coffeeshops also can not legally buy weeds!

I know, our laws are weird.
But it is not weird to ask where one can find downloads as that is legal where the original poster lives.

Also due to copyright expiring after 50 years, anybody can release a CD with recordings made in 1961 or earlier.
Yet exporting such a CD to countries where the copyright expires after 70 or 90 years is not allowed and can be held/confiscated by customs officers.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:41 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:In The Netherlands
Yet exporting such a CD to countries where the copyright expires after 70 or 90 years is not allowed and can be held/confiscated by customs officers.

Confiscated? I thought this was an Urban Legend! That they would check out the contents of people's IPods and mobile devices, and looked for bootlegged material, and take it away, and maybe prosecute! But I was led to believe it was an Urban Legend that was false.

If I ever go to Europe, I should maybe not bring my IPod? Just curious.

rjm

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm

American customs are known to confiscate parcels with CD's that are legal in Europe but illegal in the USA. They even notice the name and address of the sender and next time this person sends something to the USA the parcel gets checked anyway.
I know a well known bootleg dealer had several people sending parcels to the USA for him.

Dutch customs check people for fake brand stuff. So if, for example, you bought an original Cartier watch for a few dollars in the Far East and a Customs Officer notices it, it will be confiscated. There also is a good chance you get fined.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 pm

rjm wrote:It's okay to buy MP3s, and MP3 albums, but there will be a difference in sound quality. ITunes software now has an option to import your CDs in "lossless." They don't SELL stuff this way, and that's the problem. (In fact, I have heard a difference between ITunes MP3s and Amazon MP3s, and I think amazon's sounds better. I only bought two songs from them, compared to whole bunch from amazon, so it may be a fluke.) Amazon MP3s import directly into ITunes, so that's cool.

Another importing option is to choose "MP3" but make sure you pick the highest quality: 320 kbps, and NO variable bit rate. I also choose "error correction," and I hope that's correct.

Otherwise, you are limited to however they choose to compress the music. You may not hear a difference, but when you play it on great speakers, or even great headphones, you might.

Otherwise, SONY releases are available through the usual place, ITunes and Amazon.com, e-music. FTD-SONY products are NOT available that way. It's an audiophile product, and you must buy physical product, which you can do on-line, and they'll deliver. Go to shopelvis.com in the U.S. Or the outlet in the U.K., which is The Elvis Shop, or Now Dig This in Europe. They all deliver. Fine products!

In early 2011, Apple was in discussion with labels regarding offering lossless audiophile downloads, but it seems it went nowhere.

To just buy fave songs you like, there is usually a set of links next to YouTube videos. You click 'em, and buy. (Be careful; I once got directed to the wrong song.)

Hope this helps! :smt006

rjm ::rocks

I think it depends on the person and what music you are listening to. For most people mp3s are fine and there is little actual difference between the sound quality of that and a CD - I'm sure most people couldn't tell the difference if you gave them a blind test, especially as most of us don't have high-end audio equipment anyway.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 am

poormadpeter wrote:
karlos wrote:

There is no reason to look down on legal downloads. The snide remarks are unlikely to make new members feel welcome.

........................................................................................................................
So sorry francisse - no harm intended okay - Enjoy ya stay with us Francisse - Okay - Im so sorry for my commsnt on this post - welcome to our Elvis forum

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:18 am

Anyone with downloading questions should connect with Robt/Wally.