Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: James Brown talks about Elvis

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 pm

I enjoyed listening to this.

James Brown said some very nice things about Elvis which is good.

Thanks for posting this intheghetto.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

Great Clip Ghetto. Never saw it before. Thanks for posting.

Here's some quotes from a very fine, insightful interview James did with Neal and Janice Gregory printed in their book When Elvis Died. It's stuff you don't often hear and I wonder if the Gregorys have/had more.

"He had a great following among blacks but you didn't see it. You know why? He was white and they were black. And they were never allowed to be his followers. You think a black girl could run up and kiss Elvis? That's what I'm talking about. There's a line there. Elvis was accepted among everybody. The system wouldn't let us be together." (pg 108-109)

"It was always Elvis and James. We were as close as me and anybody could be." (109) James maybe a little exaggerating there but thought's appreciated.

On Elvis' death, "That's a day I'll remember. I lost a whole lot that day. The country lost a lot; it hurt the music world tremendously." (109)

Brown then told the Gregorys that he did not attend the funeral after visiting Elvis privately in Memphis because he did not want to unintentionally disrupt the funeral as he did Otis Redding's.

"They say that one time Elvis said, 'A black can't do nothing but shine my shoes.' Elvis never said nothing like that. He never said that." (pg.110)

"Elvis used to slip around and catch old black folks that he knew all his life. He'd pay their rent for a year and so many good things. They said he didn't like blacks, but this is a lie. The man had a legitimate affection for people." (pg. 111)

And finally on the similarities of the aesthetics of country and R&B. "Country and western music ain't nothing but the white man's blues." (pg 122)

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 am

I'm nearly finished with an MP3 playlist of James' single discography [all the A-sides, some of the B-sides], and it's great to read this thread. James had tremendous respect for Elvis. Just listened to his cover of Love Me Tender for the first time, recorded shortly after Elvis passed away.

It was unavailable for years but finally appeared in 2011 on James Brown: The Singles, Vol. 10 -- 1975-1979, and it's readily available as a download on iTunes/Amazon. Wish Sony Legacy & Ernst would make this their next mainstream release -- properly chronicling every Elvis A/B side, especially the '60s and '70s material.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed this a lot.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 am

James always had kind things to say about Elvis. Nice to see this, especially in contrast to some of the things said about him by other performers.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 am

I was lucky enough to see James in concert many years ago.