Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for sale

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELVIS-PRESLE ... 1398wt_952

It's my birthday soon, anyone? :lol:

If that ain't good enough:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUGE-ELVIS-P ... 897wt_1221

:smt006

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Really? $110,000?
I wouldn't pay that for all the items in Elvis' own Trophy room... this guy is a brick short...

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Is the record legit or a fake? $2000 seems a good price for a record which is a pice of history nearly 60years old.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 pm

One day i'm gonna own a nice copy of Sun223...and you sure can get it a lot cheaper than the price this guys asking for. About 5 yrs ago, at a record fair in Great Portland Street, London. A guy had a near mint copy, and he wanted £400 for it. Unfortunately, i didn't have the cash to spare. Chris Giles of the Elvis shop london, has always got them in stock...at the moment he has 13 copies of Sun 223 at varies prices and conditions.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:One day i'm gonna own a nice copy of Sun223...and you sure can get it a lot cheaper than the price this guys asking for. About 5 yrs ago, at the record fair in Great Portland Street, London. A guy had a near mint copy, and he wanted £400 for it. Unfortunately, i didn't have the cash to spare. Chris Giles of the Elvis shop london, has always got them in stock...at the moment he has 13 copies of Sun 223 at varies prices and conditions.


That could have been at the collectors' fair. And around £350 - £400 is about the right price for this more 'common' Sun 45.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 pm

r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.


WHICH price/ Mine or the Ebay chancer's?

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.


WHICH price/ Mine or the Ebay chancer's?


Ebays. Yours is more reasonable. I paid $150.00 for a nice VIG++ copy about 15 years ago.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm

r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.


WHICH price/ Mine or the Ebay chancer's?


Ebays. Yours is more reasonable. I paid $150.00 for a nice VIG++ copy about 15 years ago.


At Spitalfields record fair about 6 months ago, a dealer had a nice condition 78 of "Baby lets play house" for £160; unfortunately, a certain gentleman beat me to it!!! :cry:

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.


WHICH price/ Mine or the Ebay chancer's?


Ebays. Yours is more reasonable. I paid $150.00 for a nice VIG++ copy about 15 years ago.


At Spitalfields record fair about 6 months ago, a dealer had a nice condition 78 of "Baby lets play house" for £160; unfortunately, a certain gentleman beat me to it!!! :cry:


Bummer. I have been selling Elvis since the 70's, auctions, record fairs, ebay, etc. Most prices have gone down the last few years except for maybe the Suns, and some rare 1956 EPE items. The Suns have held their value for the most part, but they no longer go up like they did years ago. I'm sure if you search around, you can find some at reasonable prices. Sun 215 is the rarest and most expensive even bad condition ones. The people that treasured the Suns the most are the old time record collectors who are now, sadly, getting up in years and selling off a lot of stuff. Good luck!

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 am

r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.

Yes, your right about the push marks. I suppose you have to be a bit careful when buying Sun 223. And £350/400 is about the right price. I wish i could find one at that price in good condition...all the ones i've seen since that record fair are almost near £1,000 mark and not even in good condition. And yes, Sun 223 is not as rare as one might think.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm

r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.


WHICH price/ Mine or the Ebay chancer's?


Ebays. Yours is more reasonable. I paid $150.00 for a nice VIG++ copy about 15 years ago.


At Spitalfields record fair about 6 months ago, a dealer had a nice condition 78 of "Baby lets play house" for £160; unfortunately, a certain gentleman beat me to it!!! :cry:


Bummer. I have been selling Elvis since the 70's, auctions, record fairs, ebay, etc. Most prices have gone down the last few years except for maybe the Suns, and some rare 1956 EPE items. The Suns have held their value for the most part, but they no longer go up like they did years ago. I'm sure if you search around, you can find some at reasonable prices. Sun 215 is the rarest and most expensive even bad condition ones. The people that treasured the Suns the most are the old time record collectors who are now, sadly, getting up in years and selling off a lot of stuff. Good luck!

I've often wondered, if these original 50's records-Elvis or otherwise-will sell big money in years to come...because there's no new and up and coming faces on the scene. Like you say, r&b, the old time collectors are starting to sell off their collections-weather it's because their fed up with it all or just need the money. And that's the other thing, MONEY!! people just haven't got the spare cash for the money people are asking for these records. The cost of living is more important and bloody expensive!! So these original records will eventually have to come down in price because of the lack of interest. But what will happen to these original records, in say, 40 years time, i don't want to sound too depressing, when we're all gone?? So if you want half decent money for them, your better off selling now before it's too late. :(

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:Out of all the Sun singles, Mystery Train is the hardet to authenticate because it did not have the 3 push marks like the others. Also, it is not as rare as you think. It sold quite well and is pretty easy to find, so this price is way off the mark IMO.


WHICH price/ Mine or the Ebay chancer's?


Ebays. Yours is more reasonable. I paid $150.00 for a nice VIG++ copy about 15 years ago.


At Spitalfields record fair about 6 months ago, a dealer had a nice condition 78 of "Baby lets play house" for £160; unfortunately, a certain gentleman beat me to it!!! :cry:


Bummer. I have been selling Elvis since the 70's, auctions, record fairs, ebay, etc. Most prices have gone down the last few years except for maybe the Suns, and some rare 1956 EPE items. The Suns have held their value for the most part, but they no longer go up like they did years ago. I'm sure if you search around, you can find some at reasonable prices. Sun 215 is the rarest and most expensive even bad condition ones. The people that treasured the Suns the most are the old time record collectors who are now, sadly, getting up in years and selling off a lot of stuff. Good luck!

I've often wondered, if these original 50's records-Elvis or otherwise-will sell big money in years to come...because there's no new and up and coming faces on the scene. Like you say, r&b, the old time collectors are starting to sell off their collections-weather it's because their fed up with it all or just need the money. And that's the other thing, MONEY!! people just haven't got the spare cash for the money people are asking for these records. The cost of living is more important and bloody expensive!! So these original records will eventually have to come down in price because of the lack of interest. But what will happen to these original records, in say, 40 years time, i don't want to sound too depressing, when we're all gone?? So if you want half decent money for them, your better off selling now before it's too late. :(


I personally think they will go down in value unless you find a collector who really wants one. Generally the average prices have already gone down on old vinyl. The people under 40 really dont care about this stuff and the Ipod gerneration cares even less. The only vinyl that interests them are brand new limited edt. LPs of new music or maybe a mint Beatles album from the 60's. 45s ? no. Elvis? no. Here in the USA the once monthly record shows are a thing of the past. The avergae age of an original Elvis fan from the 50's is now near 70!

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

r&b, I think there's still hope for the 45 and 78 prices. I'm a full time ebay record dealer and while prices on Elvis' RCA issues have declined (unless it's an SP release), the Sun 45s and 78s are as valuable as ever, even in very low condition. There's a lot of young collectors bidding now, and in genres such as Northern Soul and 60s Garage many of the most avid and deep pocketed collectors are thirtyish.
I do lament the decline of the record shows, though. Here in Texas this is due to one aged promoter who is in bad health and cancels his much anticipated shows while threatening to blacklist others who would like to step in and start their own shows.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:20 pm

dougpoindexter wrote:r&b, I think there's still hope for the 45 and 78 prices. I'm a full time ebay record dealer and while prices on Elvis' RCA issues have declined (unless it's an SP release), the Sun 45s and 78s are as valuable as ever, even in very low condition. There's a lot of young collectors bidding now, and in genres such as Northern Soul and 60s Garage many of the most avid and deep pocketed collectors are thirtyish.
I do lament the decline of the record shows, though. Here in Texas this is due to one aged promoter who is in bad health and cancels his much anticipated shows while threatening to blacklist others who would like to step in and start their own shows.


Thats good to know. If there is one thing that should hold their value it should be the Suns for history sake alone. I tried to sell some nice 50's RCA 45s and sleeves a while back and was getting offers below 5.00! RCA stuff is dead except for like you say Special Product releases and people are skeptical of those because of the fakes that hit the market.

Re: Mystery Train/I Forgot to Remember to Forget SUN 45 for

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:21 am

I hear ya, r&b. The early Suns are actually increasing to unheard of heights now, not just the Elvis' . I had to sell my Sun single collection 16 years ago, I needed 5 records to have everything the label issued from "52 to '68. The Elvis singles were easy compared with #190 Ripley Cotton Choppers or the #182 Dusty Brooks or 202 Doug Poindexter. The ones I couldn't find are nigh impossible. There are counterfeits aplenty on these other Sun rarities, but they are generally not as well done as some of the Elvis ones. They sure don't turn up in East Texas in garage sales as the originals occasionally do.