Off Topic Messages

Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Finally...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Could you please elaborate ?

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Just watch this:

http://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/2012/1 ... es-suksess

The video will start in a couple of seconds. Don´t bother with the Norwegian text...listen to what the president of the UCI says.

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Almost all top-sporters use forbidden stimula, that's why there is so much unannounced control by the anti-doping people.
Armstrong is just used as a scapegoat. His collegues run free because they cooperated with the FBI, but admittedly used forbidden stimula too.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote: "Almost all top-sporters use forbidden stimula..."

In the USA, Russia and China perhaps...!

zolderopruiming1 wrote: "Armstrong is just used as a scapegoat"

HAHAHA, what a bunch of bollocks!!! And exactly how much money and fame has that som´bitch gained from being a fraud and a cheat? This must be the worst case in the history of sports...and still, nobody could or wanted to believe it no matter how clear the evidence. There are several others too who perhaps could compete with Armstrong in cheating; Florence Griffith Joyner, Carl Lewis and maybe Michael Johnson...

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Couldn't open clip but here's my thoughts on what's happening...

It was good Armstrong stepping down as chairman of Livestrong but the cause must continue.

Some donors are asking for their money back and I don't blame them for feeling misled by Armstrong. But money should come out of Armstrong's own pockets 'not' from the cancer charity founded by Armstrong.

Armstrong, who Forbes has estimated is worth about $125 million.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Armstrong, who Forbes has estimated is worth about $125 million.

Wow! I'll have a tenner's worth of whatever he was using!

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Delboy wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:Armstrong, who Forbes has estimated is worth about $125 million.

Wow! I'll have a tenner's worth of whatever he was using!


The loss of the Nike deal will come as a financial blow, but stepping down from Livestrong is likely to be more personally damaging.

I'm hoping the foundation he set up continues and people continue to support it. Along with some supporters asking for their money back, others are asking... "What are they doing with all this money they are raising?"

The foundation's IRS filing last year reported more than $100 million in net assets or fund balances. The organization spent $2.1 million in compensation to its seven highest-paid officers and three employees, according to the IRS form. No member of the board, whose members include CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, was compensated, it said.

The next year or two will be difficult and pivotal years for the foundation.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Almost all top-sporters use forbidden stimula.

That doesn't make it right.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 pm

USADA also thinks the Tour titles should not be given to other riders who finished on the podium, such was the level of doping during Armstrong's era.

The agency said 20 of the 21 riders on the podium in the Tour from 1999 through 2005 have been "directly tied to likely doping through admissions, sanctions, public investigations" or other means. It added that of the 45 riders on the podium between 1996 and 2010, 36 were by cyclists "similarly tainted by doping."

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 pm

"Lance Armstrong has NO place in cycling!"

AMEN TO THAT!

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Almost all top-sporters use forbidden stimula.

That doesn't make it right.


But the thing is that who else are you going to give the medals? It's not as if everyone was clean and he wasn't, everyone else was doping and he was as well. He just happened to be more successful.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:00 pm

" He just happened to be more successful"

No, he happened to be a better cheat, and he had a whole system of cheats around him! Noone will get the medals, and the results from the years in question will be "blotted out".

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Those guys who gave evidence in exchange for immunity should be banned from sports too!
They were as bad as Armstrong but for some weird reason everybody only jumps at Armstrong.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Would the world end if athletic drugs were permitted

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Those guys who gave evidence in exchange for immunity should be banned from sports too!
They were as bad as Armstrong but for some weird reason everybody only jumps at Armstrong.


While I agree with you, one has to take into serious consideration how many victories Armstrong has won...7 Tour De France titles...all of them through drugs/doping...and how much fame and fortune has come with that? It is the biggest fraud in sports history, nobody can deny that, so he deserves what he gets now. But I certainly hope they do a follow up on the rotten system behind him as well. They should all be thrown behind bars.

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:36 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Would the world end if athletic drugs were permitted


If this is your serious view on the matter you should stick to watching American Wrestling!


Sincerely MB280E

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 am

MB280E wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Those guys who gave evidence in exchange for immunity should be banned from sports too!
They were as bad as Armstrong but for some weird reason everybody only jumps at Armstrong.


While I agree with you, one has to take into serious consideration how many victories Armstrong has won...7 Tour De France titles...all of them through drugs/doping...and how much fame and fortune has come with that? It is the biggest fraud in sports history, nobody can deny that, so he deserves what he gets now. But I certainly hope they do a follow up on the rotten system behind him as well. They should all be thrown behind bars.

Sincerely MB280E


But is it? If everyone is doping, how do we know who would be the best if doping didn't exist? Under the circumstances, it would seem Armstrong's numbers would be fraud but his titles would be legitimate if only because the playing field between the competitors was even.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 am

likethebike wrote:
MB280E wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Those guys who gave evidence in exchange for immunity should be banned from sports too!
They were as bad as Armstrong but for some weird reason everybody only jumps at Armstrong.


While I agree with you, one has to take into serious consideration how many victories Armstrong has won...7 Tour De France titles...all of them through drugs/doping...and how much fame and fortune has come with that? It is the biggest fraud in sports history, nobody can deny that, so he deserves what he gets now. But I certainly hope they do a follow up on the rotten system behind him as well. They should all be thrown behind bars.

Sincerely MB280E


But is it? If everyone is doping, how do we know who would be the best if doping didn't exist? Under the circumstances, it would seem Armstrong's numbers would be fraud but his titles would be legitimate if only because the playing field between the competitors was even.


You're suggesting that every single person who rode in the Tour de France those years was taking steroids which is, frankly, ludicrous. The defence of "everyone's doing it, so it's fine" is just as ridiculous.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 am

It's about time!!

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:03 am

likethebike wrote:Under the circumstances, it would seem Armstrong's numbers would be fraud but his titles would be legitimate if only because the playing field between the competitors was even.


Except it's not that simple. People's bodies don't react identically to drugs, so some will likely have achieved a greater advantage than others. The only way to be sure of a level playing field is for all athletes to be clean.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:44 am

poormadpeter wrote:
likethebike wrote:
MB280E wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Those guys who gave evidence in exchange for immunity should be banned from sports too!
They were as bad as Armstrong but for some weird reason everybody only jumps at Armstrong.


While I agree with you, one has to take into serious consideration how many victories Armstrong has won...7 Tour De France titles...all of them through drugs/doping...and how much fame and fortune has come with that? It is the biggest fraud in sports history, nobody can deny that, so he deserves what he gets now. But I certainly hope they do a follow up on the rotten system behind him as well. They should all be thrown behind bars.

Sincerely MB280E


But is it? If everyone is doping, how do we know who would be the best if doping didn't exist? Under the circumstances, it would seem Armstrong's numbers would be fraud but his titles would be legitimate if only because the playing field between the competitors was even.


You're suggesting that every single person who rode in the Tour de France those years was taking steroids which is, frankly, ludicrous. The defence of "everyone's doing it, so it's fine" is just as ridiculous.


Well if it's something like 20 of 21 and number #21 may not have been formally exonerated. It's my impression that every serious contender in all these races juiced, at least that's what's basically been said in the media. I don't think it's just fine if everyone's doing it, but what are you going to do when that's the case. I would rather no one juiced but it's the way it is.

TJ- Your point's a fair one but even under natural stimulus, everyone responds differently. To say one's body reacts better to drugs is not that far from saying one is stronger than another or faster than another.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:03 am

True LTB, but it's different when the approach taken to achieve the advantage is outlawed. Some athletes have natural physical advantages, but those advantages should be enhanced by hard work, not injections. Of course we'll never know how the results in those years would have differed if all riders had been clean. Armstrong might still have been the main man. That's beside the point though really. The real disappointment is the level of deceit involved, and how that contrasts with the heroic reputation that Armstrong had enjoyed. People rightly feel cheated.

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:10 am

TJ wrote:True LTB, but it's different when the approach taken to achieve the advantage is outlawed. Some athletes have natural physical advantages, but those advantages should be enhanced by hard work, not injections. Of course we'll never know how the results in those years would have differed if all riders had been clean. Armstrong might still have been the main man. That's beside the point though really. The real disappointment is the level of deceit involved, and how that contrasts with the heroic reputation that Armstrong had enjoyed. People rightly feel cheated.


Well, said. ::rocks

Re: Congratulations Lance Armstrong

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am

I think it's a good thing that they've tossed him out, because those drugs are dangerous. And it shows younger athletes not to do it.

Does anyone remember Lyle Alzado? Think about it.

Wikipedia wrote:Steroid use and death

Alzado was one of the first major US sports figures to admit to using anabolic steroids. In the last years of his life, as he battled against the brain tumor that eventually caused his death, Alzado asserted that his steroid abuse directly led to his fatal illness.[10] According to some reports, Alzado was using natural growth hormone, harvested from human corpses, as opposed to synthetic growth hormones. However, shortly before his death, Alzado recounted his steroid abuse in an article in Sports Illustrated,

“ I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lb (140 kg) or jump 30 ft (9.1 m). But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way.[11] ”

Alzado died at age forty-three. He is buried at River View Cemetery in Portland, Oregon.[12]


rjm