Post here your Elvis' pictures

on a train

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 am

found this ...what a great shot ......does anybody have a date .........apologies if this has already been posted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: on a train

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:55 am

I think we can see Gene Smith, Lamar Fike,?, Elvis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:41 am

That's a cool picture, new one to me

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Nice find...1957, day and month anyone?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:48 pm

I tend to August 1957 (29 August 57) Arriving in Spokane

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:15 pm

claude 91 wrote:I tend to August 1957 (29 August 57) Arriving in Spokane

thank you Claude from your suggestion I have found it on James' Scotty Moore site....

"enrout to Spokane Elvis' train makes a brief stop in Whitefish, MT - Aug. 29, 1957"

the photo was from ...."The Spokane Review - August 29, 1957 courtesy Ger Rijff's Long Lonely Highway"

although I think this photo is clearer

it was also on this site....viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46746

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:51 am

The third person appears to be Louis Harris.

Elvis The Pelvis Looks Out At Whitefish
570829_w Smith FIke Harris_Whitefish MT.JPG
Note: with Gene Smith, Lamar Fike and Louis Harris.

Elvis Presley fans were "All Shook Up" yesterday when he appeared in a white sport coat (no pink carnation) as his train, long as a "Hound Dog," stopped briefly in Whitefish. Fans yelled "Love Me Tender," but couldn't tell if he was wearing "Blue Suede Shoes" since he didn't leave the train. He was on the way to Spokane for a special show.

Elvis Excites Fans In Short Stopover
By Tom O'Hanlon, Daily Inter Lake
Friday, August 30, 1957

Elvis Presley stopped for a few minutes in Whitefish last night and "the call of the wild" was heard for blocks.

But it was those on the other side of the cage that were giving the call. Presley, whose eccentric singing style has brought him to a unique position in American entertainment, came to the door of his railroad car to wave to the fans a few moments before his train, the Empire Builder, left.

He wisely did not step into the crowd to sign autographs.

A crowd, estimated at 800 composed mostly of teenage girls with a liberal sprinkling of jealous boy friends, small children, and curious mothers and townspeople jammed the station platform long before the train pulled in at about 6 p.m.

Pony tails and Italian cuts, skirts, sweaters, starched dresses and Bermuda shorts - the clothes were varied, but the girl's excitement was the same. Presley, a handsome young Mississippian, seemed to be used to mob scenes. He stayed on the steps of the railroad car and the only personal contact made was by a few high-jumping girls who managed to touch his hand. This apparently was enough to satisfy them and excite their friend's admiration and envy.

Whatever Presley has, it certainly seems to be in big demand by the bobbie sox brigade.

Thanks to member Aunt Delta, who found the original stories here:
http://www.gnry.net/lookingback/lb1951.html

Where in the heck is Whitefish?

From Whitefish, MT to Spokane, WA
http://goo.gl/maps/1QCys

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Fairly close to Glacier National Park. We were there this last July.

In Havre, MT, they were not that lucky.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm

The microfilm copy if someone wants it

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm

A little mention on the Helena Independent Record newspaper.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Thank you Francesc for all the useful new information

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 pm

From the independent Record, Helena, a similar article from AP...

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The third person appears to be Louis Harris.

Elvis The Pelvis Looks Out At Whitefish
570829_w Smith FIke Harris_Whitefish MT.JPG
Note: with Gene Smith, Lamar Fike and Louis Harris.

Elvis Presley fans were "All Shook Up" yesterday when he appeared in a white sport coat (no pink carnation) as his train, long as a "Hound Dog," stopped briefly in Whitefish. Fans yelled "Love Me Tender," but couldn't tell if he was wearing "Blue Suede Shoes" since he didn't leave the train. He was on the way to Spokane for a special show.

Elvis Excites Fans In Short Stopover
By Tom O'Hanlon, Daily Inter Lake
Friday, August 30, 1957

Elvis Presley stopped for a few minutes in Whitefish last night and "the call of the wild" was heard for blocks.

But it was those on the other side of the cage that were giving the call. Presley, whose eccentric singing style has brought him to a unique position in American entertainment, came to the door of his railroad car to wave to the fans a few moments before his train, the Empire Builder, left.

He wisely did not step into the crowd to sign autographs.

A crowd, estimated at 800 composed mostly of teenage girls with a liberal sprinkling of jealous boy friends, small children, and curious mothers and townspeople jammed the station platform long before the train pulled in at about 6 p.m.

Pony tails and Italian cuts, skirts, sweaters, starched dresses and Bermuda shorts - the clothes were varied, but the girl's excitement was the same. Presley, a handsome young Mississippian, seemed to be used to mob scenes. He stayed on the steps of the railroad car and the only personal contact made was by a few high-jumping girls who managed to touch his hand. This apparently was enough to satisfy them and excite their friend's admiration and envy.

Whatever Presley has, it certainly seems to be in big demand by the bobbie sox brigade.

Thanks to member Aunt Delta, who found the original stories here:
http://www.gnry.net/lookingback/lb1951.html

From Whitefish, MT to Spokane, WA
http://goo.gl/maps/1QCys

question....is Louis Harris the gentleman with Elvis at Gladys' graveside August 17th 1958?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:00 am

Francesc wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

If you click the link I posted below that query, you'll see a map showing exactly where it is.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 am

Reminds me of the "Elvis Train" episode of "Happy Days." 'Member?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Francesc wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

If you click the link I posted below that query, you'll see a map showing exactly where it is.

I thought you were asking. Thanks.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 am

nothing new text wise, just a complete front page.

David

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 pm

elvisjock wrote:Reminds me of the "Elvis Train" episode of "Happy Days." 'Member?

Yes, the Fonz being the great tactician figures it would be a great place to meet chicks.:)