Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis not appearing on Talk Shows

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Referring to 'Talk Shows' as we now know them Elvis must be the biggest star in the history of entertainment never to have appeared on one. All the other major players have. As we know Elvis has always come across as a very level headed, humble, humorous guy in the various press conferences etc. Do you think his career might have benefited from such an appearance or did his absence add to his mystique? Also, was he ever asked? I know he was invited to sing for President Nixon at The White House and The Queen at The Royal Variety Sow and Parker turned them both down.

Re: Elvis not appearing on Talk Shows

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Delboy wrote:Referring to 'Talk Shows' as we now know them Elvis must be the biggest star in the history of entertainment never to have appeared on one. All the other major players have. As we know Elvis has always come across as a very level headed, humble, humorous guy in the various press conferences etc. Do you think his career might have benefited from such an appearance or did his absence add to his mystique? Also, was he ever asked? I know he was invited to sing for President Nixon at The White House and The Queen at The Royal Variety Sow and Parker turned them both down.

Appearing after he fired Parker would have been good, but with Parker in the picture... no.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Another 'what if" question we will never know the answer to.
We only can speculate.
The way things went in Elvis' career is that he still is the best selling artist despite being dead for over 35 years.
If he would have appeared in talk shows by now he might have been forgotten. Or still be the biggest selling artist.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Delboy wrote:Do you think his career might have benefited from such an appearance...

Who's bigger than Elvis?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:41 pm

If my memory serves me well I think that it was only until very recently that Mick Jagger appeared on a talk show.

Brian

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Delboy wrote:Referring to 'Talk Shows' as we now know them Elvis must be the biggest star in the history of entertainment never to have appeared on one. All the other major players have. As we know Elvis has always come across as a very level headed, humble, humorous guy in the various press conferences etc. Do you think his career might have benefited from such an appearance or did his absence add to his mystique? Also, was he ever asked? I know he was invited to sing for President Nixon at The White House and The Queen at The Royal Variety Sow and Parker turned them both down.
Elvis did appear on a talk show in 1956 called Hy Gardner Calling.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I agreed with Colonel Parker's decision to not book Elvis on talk shows.

Elvis was wanted for several talk shows.

Mike Douglas mentioned on a 1974 interview with Muhammad Ali that he wanted Elvis on his show.

When Priscilla appeared on Mike Douglas he mentioned to her that he tried to get Elvis to come on several times.

Elvis was asked to appear on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson several times.

I'm sure he was wanted for all of them but Parker turned them down.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 pm

brian wrote:I agreed with Colonel Parker's decision to not book Elvis on talk shows.

Elvis was wanted for several talk shows.

Mike Douglas mentioned on a 1974 interview with Muhammad Ali that he wanted Elvis on his show.

When Priscilla appeared on Mike Douglas he mentioned to her that he tried to get Elvis to come on several times.

Elvis was asked to appear on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson several times.

I'm sure he was wanted for all of them but Parker turned them down.

Yes Carson wanted him badly and Elvis was a fan of the show, but Parker wanted an enormous amount of money(no surprise). The biggest stars only get scale pay when appearing on talk shows, so no Elvis.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Parker replied to this question the following:

"These guys were all friends of mine, but Elvis did pretty good without 'em"

It's on youtube..

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Elvis' continuing popularity is partly due to the mystique that surrounds him. Parker did this intentionally, and it worked. On the other hand, if he had appeared on those shows the mystique might have been less but maybe it had worked out even better, who's to say.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Yeah appearing on every other talk show would have made Elvis too common coin. It would be cool for us now as collectors but I don't know if it would have added to his mystique or sold more records.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 pm

I would imagine that Col Parker saw no need to PAY for Elvis to appear on talk shows.

Elvis didn't need them

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Phil Donahue show. Was it around in 1977 ?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Robt wrote:Phil Donahue show. Was it around in 1977 ?

Yes.

He had a talk show in the 70s.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 am

I would have liked to see elvis on a talk show or a guest star on other singers shows like dean martin maybe in the 60s ,but by 74 elvis was too out of his head to do justice to any type of show like this.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 am

rocknroller wrote:I would have liked to see elvis on a talk show or a guest star on other singers shows like dean martin maybe in the 60s ,but by 74 elvis was too out of his head to do justice to any type of show like this.
It's a great thing that he never appeared on any public talk show on October 1, 1974. It's bad enough he was on a stage of any kind that night as it is. His behavior and state of mind was....strange. There's no telling what he would have said on air that night.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 am

I've never bought into the notion that Elvis seemed to hold a greater air of mystique because he refrained from media interaction. It only made him aloof, albeit desirable. But his participation was, undoubtedly, sought regardless. Especially after 1970, when out of Hollywood and operating in more narrow circles.

Had Elvis choose to appear on the occasional talk show, doing so would have, in my opinion, been good for him. It would have made him more interesting, perhaps created opportunities, not to mention affording a marvellous platform for his music. And that's something Elvis seemed to need at times throughout the seventies -- whether on television or radio. There's no guarantee that talk show appearances would have brought much greater sales, but it would have given better exposure to an entertainer who was exclusively available on the concert stage. Something that done him few favours after 1973.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 pm

greystoke wrote:I've never bought into the notion that Elvis seemed to hold a greater air of mystique because he refrained from media interaction. It only made him aloof, albeit desirable. But his participation was, undoubtedly, sought regardless. Especially after 1970, when out of Hollywood and operating in more narrow circles.

Had Elvis choose to appear on the occasional talk show, doing so would have, in my opinion, been good for him. It would have made him more interesting, perhaps created opportunities, not to mention affording a marvellous platform for his music. And that's something Elvis seemed to need at times throughout the seventies -- whether on television or radio. There's no guarantee that talk show appearances would have brought much greater sales, but it would have given better exposure to an entertainer who was exclusively available on the concert stage. Something that done him few favours after 1973.

I doubt very much that Elvis was even involved in the decision making process as far as appearing on talk shows.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't think Elvis cared whether he appeared on talk shows or not.

If Tom Parker had booked Elvis on a talk show he obviously would have went on it but i don't think he lost sleep over it.

Elvis did give several press conferences during the big events in his career where the reporters more or less asked the same questions that he would've been asked on talk shows.

I've never heard anyone say that Elvis was disappointed that he never appeared on Carson, Mike Douglas or Dinah Shore.

I think it was something that he could take or leave and Parker made the decision not to go that route.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Partly the thrill of seeing the two Elvis shows (68 & 73) on TV was due to the fact that Elvis didn't appear on TV talk shows.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:59 am

That's true. Elvis garnered huge ratings whenever he appeared because he just didn't appear that often.

I respectfully disagree on the mystique part Greystoke. Perhaps it's being here in the States where all those talk shows were on all the time, but it took a me a very long time to catch up on a lot of great performers from Ethel Merman to Sammy Davis Jr. because their endless TV rounds made them common coin, too familiar.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

I really do think there was a certain mystique surrounding Elvis during the 70s at least. In 1956, he was on television quite often and did talk quite openly during interviews.

It seems to me that from 1972 on, there was something inaccessible about him, like he wasn't going to let you in. That's how I feel when I watch the On Tour interview with the directors.

Thats the only thing about watching and listening to the imports. There's nothing left to the imagination. I remember when I was a kid, you'd buy an Elvis album and sit there looking at the cover while listening to it and you picture him in a certain way (or your perception of him performing). Or you'd look at a book or magazine and see him in a certain pose or something and wonder what he was singing or saying.

I guess when I started becoming aware of the imports and such, it took a lot of that mystique away for me.
Don't get me wrong, I love watching it but that was part of what drew me in to him. It seemed that no one knew much about him personally during that time. I'm sure a lot you know what I'm talking about. Just seems there was an intangible element about him during that time period.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Elvis after the great TV 1968 special should do a Tv show once a year. This could be a big help to boost his sales records. In 1971 and the first part of 1972 his singles were out of US top 30. So even the talk shows could help in his carrer in the 70's for publicity. Remember: only Burning Love reached the top ten in the 70's in US (place 2) - such a shame comparing to many forgotten artists who had many top ten hits in the 70's. So RCA and the Colonel are to blame for this!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:05 pm

TV Guide in one of their Elvis special issues, reported that Elvis wanted to do a walk-on for Laugh-In while he was taping his 1968 special. Many people did these 'walk-ons' and said one line, including President Nixon, who said 'Sock It To Me?' He was really hot on this idea and it would have been fabulous. Guess who stopped him from doing it?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:31 pm

r&b wrote:TV Guide in one of their Elvis special issues, reported that Elvis wanted to do a walk-on for Laugh-In while he was taping his 1968 special. Many people did these 'walk-ons' and said one line, including President Nixon, who said 'Sock It To Me?' He was really hot on this idea and it would have been fabulous. Guess who stopped him from doing it?

Charlie?