Off Topic Messages

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Romney is out of touch with normal people. He also scares me.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 am

Johnny 99 wrote:Romney is out of touch with normal people. He also scares me.

Good... Boo!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:47 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Back on topic, what did any of the rest of you think of President Obama's closing remarks?

I was really impressed. It made the choice between the two candidates so clear:

President Barack Obama is far and away more qualified to lead the country.

They were brilliant. But have you read about Tagg Romney and those Ohio voting machines? Those stirring remarks may not matter. I just e-mailed the Dept. of Justice. And signed a petition. But I e-mailed them with my name, home address, telephone, the works. And encouraged others to do so.

I'm concerned it all may not matter. We all remember 2000, don't we?

rjm

Thank you for your on-topic reply.

Don't get me started about Ohio, the 2004 presidential election, and the exit poll data review made by independent experts.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:52 am

Angles wrote:
Blue River wrote:No, the big question:
Is Matthew an AMERICAN? 'Cause if not, what sane person cares about your worthless opinions? :smt023
The same goes for Angles and poormadpeter.

What qualifies you to decide which comments are worthless? The last time I checked this was an Elvis fans message board, not an American Elvis fans only board. The effects of an American presidency affect the World economy so I'm more than entitled to make any comments I wish to particularly when this thread is discussing a debate that we all saw. Feel free to start a 'Who will you vote for' thread and I'll quite happily stay out of that one as then I'd agree that my opinion would be worthless.

It's pretty clear to me that Obama won the debate comfortably. It was great to see him go on the offensive and at times cause Romney to appear rattled. His blunders when challenging Obama on his pension ("[mine] is not as big as yours.") and Libya (talk about missing an open goal) will hopefully live in the memories of American voters come polling time (including the 47% of American 'victims' he had effectively written off).

I appreciate your calm, clear response to both the topic and to the inexcusable behavior of some very nervous conservative members of this forum.

Again, it is noteworthy that not one of them addresses the hypocrisy of supporting a candidate in 2012 who would have brushed the Presley family -- and their reliance on government assistance when they were at their lowest -- under the rug back in the day.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: I appreciate your calm, clear response to both the topic and to the inexcusable behavior of some very nervous conservative members of this forum.

:smt005 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Keep talking... the world is laughing at you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt005

drjohncarpenter wrote:Again, it is noteworthy that not one of them addresses the hypocrisy of supporting a candidate in 2012 who would have brushed the Presley family -- and their reliance on government assistance when they were at their lowest -- under the rug back in the day.

The modern day poor-Presley-types will continue to receive government assistance when President Romney takes over in January and the government assistance will continue throughout his 8-year run as President Of These Here United Fifty States (not 57 as Obama said).
For you to think otherwise, drjohncarpenter, is nothing more than paranoia and ignorance on your part.

I'm glad that Vernon and Gladys got married "back in the day" (like normal couples should) and didn't try to milk the system
by having 10 children out of wedlock.

It is noteworthy that your "epic fail" blabbering has now been addressed even though it didn't deserve a response.

Liberals... a cancer to society.

::rocks

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:06 am

Bringing you cancers such as the eight-hour workday, overtime pay, the federal minimum wage, the G.I. Bill of Rights, the Civil Rights Act, the Social Security Act, the Clean Water Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Rural Electrification Act.

Along with a few other little things like giving women the right to vote, preventing child labor and ending slavery.

Boo, American liberalism!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:13 am

elvissessions wrote:

Bringing you cancers such as the eight-hour workday, overtime pay, the federal minimum wage, the G.I. Bill of Rights, the Civil Rights Act, the Social Security Act, the Clean Water Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Rural Electrification Act.

Along with a few other little things like giving women the right to vote, preventing child labor and ending slavery.

The Democratic Party of yesteryear was conservative compared to what the party has evolved into over the past several years!
Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman would be shocked and ashamed of what's going on now with Obama's policies and the liberal Democrats of today! Not all Democrats are liberals... thank goodness.

Today's liberals... a cancer to society.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:30 am

Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman would be shocked and ashamed of what's going on now with Obama's policies!

Both men fought to ensure adequate health care for all citizens. For that reason alone, I think as good Americans, they would be quite pleased with Obama's progress.

But regardless of the specific issues, the times really haven't changed that much.

There were remarkably ignorant people who opposed Roosevelt's and Truman's great patriotic work, just as there are people who oppose our current president's hard and honest efforts on behalf of our country.

We can only hope the better part of our great nation, which sees through Romney's vicious and fearful smear campaign, will prevail next month.
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:32 am

elvissessions wrote:... our current president's hard and honest efforts...

His efforts are hard, but they're certainly not honest.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 am

There's that vicious and fearful smear campaign I mentioned.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:43 am

Blue River wrote:[Today's liberals... a cancer to society.

oh dear. he has a slogan now.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:07 am

elvissessions wrote:There's that vicious and fearful smear campaign I mentioned.

You read into it whatever you wish.

Have a nice Sunday! :smt006

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:16 am

Blue River wrote:
elvissessions wrote:

The Democratic Party of yesteryear was conservative compared to what the party has evolved into over the past several years!
Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman would be shocked and ashamed of what's going on now with Obama's policies and the liberal Democrats of today! Not all Democrats are liberals... thank goodness.

The Republican Party of yesteryear was moderate compared to what the party has evolved into over the past several years!
Abraham Lincoln and Richard Nixon would be shocked and ashamed of what's going on now with GOP policies and the Tea Party Republican's of today! Not all Republicans are Tea Party right wingers... thank goodness.

Today's conservatives... a cancer to society.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:22 am

elvissessions wrote:

These are all unassailable accomplishments that would not have happened without progressive politics. That some Americans today cannot appreciate them, let alone acknowledge them, is really sad.

Certainly, what we see in Off Topic the past week or two is a sense of desperation amongst some very insecure people. For example, note what's been put up by one member (guess) since 10-16 (Tue) ... less than 5 days:

31 "Obama" posts
17 "Romney" posts
11 "liberals" posts

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 am

I'm a "cancer to society"? I'm an American, who is free to vote for whom I wish.

If you only want a one-party system for a "healthy society," well that reminds me of a very bad place at a very bad time. Then too, "dissidents" as they were called, were considered a cancer to society, and were violently cut out of society, as you must with "a cancer," along with about 20,000,000 other civilians, who didn't make society "healthy" - or "non-cancerous." You couldn't be a Gypsy for society to be "non-cancerous," or or a dissident, or mentally handicapped, mentally ill, gay, of African descent, or Jewish. I might have missed some groups. All who didn't get out quick were killed or starved. Among some groups, there were survivors. Among some, there were almost no survivors. 5,000 African-Germans died in the 1940s European holocaust; 6,000,000 Jews, who were "cancers on society" died, almost all Gypsies, and . . . see above "cancers."

It wasn't just about ONE ethnic group, as often portrayed: it was about "the healthy." The "pure." The "non-cancerous." If this is the attitude going around now, it's pretty scary. Very scary, because clearly this does not originate with one poster on an Elvis board: it's going around . . . it's in the air. The slogan "Never Again" is not meant only for the Shoah. It's for everyone. It CAN happen again. If we don't finally learn to live with, and embrace diversity.

Hey, if you win, you win. We'll survive, and I will not consider you "a cancer" to be obliterated.

It's a shame you can't see me the same way. :(

rjm

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 am

rjm wrote:I'm a "cancer to society"? I'm an American, who is free to vote for whom I wish.

If you only want a one-party system for a "healthy society," well that reminds me of a very bad place at a very bad time. Then too, "dissidents" as they were called, were considered a cancer to society, and were violently cut out of society, as you must with "a cancer," along with about 20,000,000 other civilians, who didn't make society "healthy" - or "non-cancerous." You couldn't be a Gypsy for society to be "non-cancerous," or or a dissident, or mentally handicapped, mentally ill, gay, of African descent, or Jewish. I might have missed some groups. All who didn't get out quick were killed or starved. Among some groups, there were survivors. Among some, there were almost no survivors. 5,000 African-Germans died in the 1940s European holocaust; 6,000,000 Jews, who were "cancers on society" died, almost all Gypsies, and . . . see above "cancers."

It wasn't just about ONE ethnic group, as often portrayed: it was about "the healthy." The "pure." The "non-cancerous." If this is the attitude going around now, it's pretty scary. Very scary, because clearly this does not originate with one poster on an Elvis board: it's going around . . . it's in the air. The slogan "Never Again" is not meant only for the Shoah. It's for everyone. It CAN happen again. If we don't finally learn to live with, and embrace diversity.

Hey, if you win, you win. We'll survive, and I will not consider you "a cancer" to be obliterated.

rjm

Excellent post. Unfortunately the individual this is directed at is too shallow to probably care, comprehend, or appreciate your thoughts. In addition to their 'cancer' comment they've also resorted to addressing those that don't share their political views here as 'pot smoking hippies' that are 'full of sh*t'. Pretty eloquent stuff, doncha think? Everybody assumes they're in a position to argue politics, but most aren't.

Is there a reason why this person is still actually allowed to have access to these forums? The moderators need to take a close look at what's going on here and solve what is fast becoming a bit of a problem.

Having heated arguments about music is one thing. Telling people with opposing political views that they are 'a cancer to society' is pretty damn disturbing.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: I appreciate your calm, clear response to both the topic and to the inexcusable behavior of some very nervous conservative members of this forum.

:smt005 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Keep talking... the world is laughing at you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt005

drjohncarpenter wrote:Again, it is noteworthy that not one of them addresses the hypocrisy of supporting a candidate in 2012 who would have brushed the Presley family -- and their reliance on government assistance when they were at their lowest -- under the rug back in the day.

The modern day poor-Presley-types will continue to receive government assistance when President Romney takes over in January and the government assistance will continue throughout his 8-year run as President Of These Here United Fifty States (not 57 as Obama said).
For you to think otherwise, drjohncarpenter, is nothing more than paranoia and ignorance on your part.

I'm glad that Vernon and Gladys got married "back in the day" (like normal couples should) and didn't try to milk the system
by having 10 children out of wedlock.

It is noteworthy that your "epic fail" blabbering has now been addressed even though it didn't deserve a response.

Liberals... a cancer to society
As well as Blue Rivers opinions!

Hey we'll be friends again after the elections right now screw you! :D

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 am

intheghetto wrote:
rjm wrote:I'm a "cancer to society"? I'm an American, who is free to vote for whom I wish.

rjm

Excellent post. Unfortunately the individual this is directed at is too shallow to probably care, comprehend, or appreciate your thoughts. In addition to their 'cancer' comment they've also resorted to addressing those that don't share their political views here as 'pot smoking hippies' that are 'full of sh*t'. Pretty eloquent stuff, doncha think? Everybody assumes they're in a position to argue politics, but most aren't.

Is there a reason why this person is still actually allowed to have access to these forums? The moderators need to take a close look at what's going on here and solve what is fast becoming a bit of a problem.

Having heated arguments about music is one thing. Telling people with opposing political views that they are 'a cancer to society' is pretty damn disturbing.

First, thank you.

Next, I think the mods need to make the guidelines very clear, and post them often. And warnings, clearly stated, need sometimes to be sent to those who willy-nilly make such outrageous and disturbing statements - that it is NOT okay, and it's not all in the good fun of an election season. That's what has become a problem in public discourse today: the old rules just don't exist anymore, for the most part. Anytime someone goes over the "line," we realize those lines don't exist anymore. "Oh, you're just being PC." Thank God that term didn't exist in the '30s and '40s.

It's not an individual problem; it's social. The rules have dissolved. But as they say, "think globally, act locally." Locally, such as our humble little Elvis Friar's Club here, we can say that this is "okay," and that is "not okay." Or the mods can. That this kind of discourse may be "twitter-friendly," but it is not in here. It's really unfortunate that common social decorum is out the window. Because it makes us less safe as a society.

It doesn't have to be like "zero-tolerance" policies in schools. Those can get way out of common sense, as well. But when something is clearly wrong, that needs to be established: this is wrong, and not good for us, here. We can't change the whole world, but we can change our world, and make it a safer place. It could spread!

rjm

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 pm

paulsweeney wrote:
Blue River wrote:
elvissessions wrote:

The Republican Party of yesteryear was moderate compared to what the party has evolved into over the past several years!
Abraham Lincoln and Richard Nixon would be shocked and ashamed of what's going on now with GOP policies and the Tea Party Republican's of today! Not all Republicans are Tea Party right wingers... thank goodness.

Good reply 8)

Today's conservatives are not real conservatives they are CON - servatives ! They are the real fraudsters and they are out to harm America from within.

Btw I still think David Cameron would be a great president of US of A. 8) if only,,,,

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:
Blue River wrote:
elvissessions wrote:

Good reply 8)

Today's conservatives are not real conservatives they are CON - servatives ! They are the real fraudsters and they are out to harm America from within.

Btw I still think David Cameron would be a great president of US of A. 8) if only,,,,

I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.

In his speech at the Tory party conference he said: "Educate all our children...And I mean really educate them, not just pump up the grades each year...Children taught physics, chemistry and biology not soft options...Isn't the greatest disadvantage of all being written off by those ...that have forgotten what it's like to be ambitious, to want to transcend your background, to overcome circumstance and succeed on your own terms?"

In one speech he told all those that have done well at school recently that their grades were inflated to make them look good...that those children who are not academically gifted and therefore pursuing other subjects and vocational subjects that they are taking "soft options"...and as for those wanting to "transcend their own background" and "overcome circumstances" - how are they meant to go to a university in order to do that when the fees are £9000 per year?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Political discussions on this board are always fun to read... if you want to learn about what the people that visit this forum are really like, this post has a wealth of knowledge...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:43 pm

iplayastrat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Elvis Presley and his family were, without question, among the "47%" that the Republican challenger so denigrated at that private fundraiser for rich constituents.

And that the governmental policies that helped the Presley family through the hard times led to Elvis completing a high school education (a first in his family) and getting a full-time job right out of high school.

With that logic you're implying that the Presley family would have actually
voted for Obama pre-1955? Do you really believe that?

Let's for your sake say they would've. But if you follow your logic through
you'd be saying that Elvis would've voted for Romney from 1956 on, seeing
he was in that most hated group of Romney's other 53%. You know the ones
your buddies from Occupy Wall Street call the One Percent.

Can't have it both ways Doc. Although you do try.

Just because Elvis would have been one of the one percent doesn't he mean he would have voted with them. This is man that took no tax deductions in an era where federal income taxes were far, far higher than they are now.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:27 am

Blue River wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:Romney is out of touch with normal people. He also scares me.

Good... Boo!

What you genuinely think Romney is the best option for your country? Really? Come on, seriously? Do you watch Faux News too? 'We report you decide'...do you see the irony?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 am

likethebike wrote:Just because Elvis would have been one of the one percent doesn't he mean he would have voted with them. This is man that took no tax deductions in an era where federal income taxes were far, far higher than they are now.

You are right and that was the point, we don't know who Elvis would've
voted for. But to bring up one of the more stupid mistakes that Elvis made
doesn't help your case. Unless you actually think it's wise to be foolish
with your money? If that's what it takes to be a Democrat, then I'm glad
I'm a Republican.

Come to think of it, Elvis must have been a Republican. If you look at the
tax returns of those who are running for President and check to see who
gave the biggest percentage of their money to charity, clearly the one who
looks the most like Elvis is the Republican.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:14 am

TCB-FAN wrote:The choice is simple....

If you want economic prosperity and minimum war ..Vote Obama

If you want World War 3, Desolation, Increased Poverty, and a totalitarian/draconian government...Vote for Flip Flop Romney.

Yes. Obama = Angel. Romney = Devil. Holy naivity.... :-(