Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The UK-recordings

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Would someone in charge please have Ernst or Roger work out deals with legends like Rex Martin and his marvellous and unique recordings of Elvis on stage in USA. Imagine master-quality presented on FTD-CD´s or even his films 8mm-films on FTD-DVD´s. It´s about time someone makes this deal, I´ll support it even it comes slightly more costly. This material should be presented in its original quality, Younger fans will no doubt appreciate this very much. I have, without permission, reprinted a report from Anne Nixon in 1972, taken from Elvis Monthly issue 147.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The UK-recordings

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for posting. I have that Monthly somewhere, it brought back memories. I think some of the recent Straight Arrow releases are taken from good copies of Rex’s tapes, but it would be great to see the Super 8 films from the original source. He captured some great stuff.

Now that everything is available online, younger fans won’t realise that seeing Elvis movies, and particularly concert footage, was once a big deal. I remember going to conventions in Manchester, buying boots and RCA imports and being blown away by the live footage they showed.

Rex’s shop in Blackpool was also well worth a visit. I always liked the compilation tapes he played with the lesser known songs on them, and of course the tapes from the concerts he attended. There’s one from Norman in ’77 where you can hear him being thrown out for taping the show!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Cool, I´ve always wondered what recording-equipment he used. He most surely couldn´t bring a reel-to-reel recorder. Those are huge. I have CD-R´s, thanks Shaun, with some of those recordings but I believe they´re a few generations down in quality. Why won´t Ernst negotiate and bring the mastertapes out on FTD, all of them. Some superb Vegas-recordings from 1972, 1973, 1975 and the entire 1976-season immediately springs to mind.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm

drghanem wrote:Cool, I´ve always wondered what recording-equipment he used. He most surely couldn´t bring a reel-to-reel recorder. Those are huge. I have CD-R´s, thanks Shaun, with some of those recordings but I believe they´re a few generations down in quality. Why won´t Ernst negotiate and bring the mastertapes out on FTD, all of them. Some superb Vegas-recordings from 1972, 1973, 1975 and the entire 1976-season immediately springs to mind.

If I remember rightly, Rex's film of parts of the last concert was released on a VHS tape about 20 years ago. It was a disaster - either the film was deliberately transferred in a blurry state, or the film is just very poor visual quality.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 am

There is obviously a lot of fantastic material out there. I did not know about this, but it sounds like something. Hopefully we will get this stuff released properly.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:22 pm

look here

http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums.org/index.php

colonel snow

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Who is Rex Martin??

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:10 pm

TheMaskedClown wrote:Who is Rex Martin??

If you don't know who Rex Martin is you've missed out a lot of good things in the Elvis World.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Rex Martin published the Elvis News Service Weekly -- which would often come twice to my door in a week. Rex received concert reviews (I provided several) and photos and news bits, compiled them first into large sheets that were folded, and finally into little booklets. And issued them WEEKLY!

My collection starts with No. 24 and goes to the end. It was a great time to be an Elvis fan. Every week (just about, if Rex wasn't on holiday following Elvis), there'd be a fix of Elvis and then monthly Rocky Barra's "Strictly Elvis". Heaven.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for your great books Chris, I ordered your splendid With Elvis On Tour from you back in 1996, still love it! I´ve tried in vain to locate your Elvis In Concert though. Guys like you and Rex really has contributed a lot of legacy to us, I bow my head.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Thank you. No bowing required!

I was lucky -- and I miss seeing the man in person. I thought as I got older, I may begin to forget my experiences, and therefore documented them for me -- and then thought about others.

Sorry about ELVIS IN CONCERT. I have no extra copies, and I've never seen it for re-sale.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Christopher Brown wrote:Thank you. No bowing required!

I was lucky -- and I miss seeing the man in person. I thought as I got older, I may begin to forget my experiences, and therefore documented them for me -- and then thought about others.

Sorry about ELVIS IN CONCERT. I have no extra copies, and I've never seen it for re-sale.

Your first book was one of my favourite reads. A splendid tome, Christopher.