Off Topic Messages

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 pm

rjm wrote:I don't appreciate being called a radical just because I vote Democrat.

You're not a radical just because you vote Democrat, you're a radical (along with many others on this forum) because you're an indoctrinated liberal who votes Democrat. Now you know.

("indoctrinated"... no pun intended, rjm) :lol:

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 am

rjm, I appreciated your good wishes to people of both persuasions. Thank you.

President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 am

Blue River wrote:
rjm wrote:I don't appreciate being called a radical just because I vote Democrat.

You're not a radical just because you vote Democrat, you're a radical (along with many others on this forum) because you're an indoctrinated liberal who votes Democrat. Now you know.

("indoctrinated"... no pun intended, rjm) :lol:


As opposed to an indoctrinated conservative who votes Republican?

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 am

It is VERY noticeable how not one of the quite vocal, conservative-minded members of this forum is able to acknowledge that Elvis Presley and his family were, without question, among the "47%" that the Republican challenger so denigrated at that private fundraiser for rich constituents.

And that the governmental policies that helped the Presley family through the hard times led to Elvis completing a high school education (a first in his family) and getting a full-time job right out of high school.

Food for thought.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:36 am

Am I the only one here is losing track of why these threads exist? I'm not saying they should be removed or anything, but those who vote Obama aren't going to be persuaded by those on here who vote Romney, and vice versa. Isn't the arguing all getting a bit pointless now?

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:43 am

poormadpeter wrote:Am I the only one here is losing track of why these threads exist? I'm not saying they should be removed or anything, but those who vote Obama aren't going to be persuaded by those on here who vote Romney, and vice versa. Isn't the arguing all getting a bit pointless now?

The Presley connection (and related hypocrisy of some) is quite relevant.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is VERY noticeable how not one of the quite vocal, conservative-minded members of this forum is able to acknowledge that Elvis Presley and his family were, without question, among the "47%" that the Republican challenger so denigrated at that private fundraiser for rich constituents.

And that the governmental policies that helped the Presley family through the hard times led to Elvis completing a high school education (a first in his family) and getting a full-time job right out of high school.

Food for thought.

Right on the money, Doc. And today's Republican party is the party of religious extremists, a party that constantly talks about limiting the role of government....except when it comes to involvement in the affairs of other countries around the world. And how does their talk of limited government stand up when they are wanting to tell women what to do with their own bodies, and sneak into everyone's bedrooms? Obama hasn't had 100% success in his first term...and we can blame that mostly on senate and house Republicans.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Elvis Presley and his family were, without question, among the "47%" that the Republican challenger so denigrated at that private fundraiser for rich constituents.

And that the governmental policies that helped the Presley family through the hard times led to Elvis completing a high school education (a first in his family) and getting a full-time job right out of high school.



With that logic you're implying that the Presley family would have actually
voted for Obama pre-1955? Do you really believe that?

Let's for your sake say they would've. But if you follow your logic through
you'd be saying that Elvis would've voted for Romney from 1956 on, seeing
he was in that most hated group of Romney's other 53%. You know the ones
your buddies from Occupy Wall Street call the One Percent.

Can't have it both ways Doc. Although you do try.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 pm

dannyboy1 wrote:rjm, I appreciated your good wishes to people of both persuasions. Thank you.


You're most welcome. We're all Americans, and everyone should vote. If you're a citizen over 18, you should vote.

-----------
Now, Blue: "Liberals" are NOT radicals. "I knew radicals, and, Mr. River, radicals are no liberals." (Inelegant, but you get the idea.) In fact, radicals dislike liberals more than conservatives dislike liberals! Seriously.

rjm

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:42 pm

iplayastrat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Elvis Presley and his family were, without question, among the "47%" that the Republican challenger so denigrated at that private fundraiser for rich constituents.

And that the governmental policies that helped the Presley family through the hard times led to Elvis completing a high school education (a first in his family) and getting a full-time job right out of high school.



With that logic you're implying that the Presley family would have actually
voted for Obama pre-1955? Do you really believe that?


Unless you have that DeLorean, that makes no sense! On any level at all. You know very well that the Doc meant a family LIKE the Presleys, exactly like them, living today. Two poor parents with a teenaged son, who did not teach him prejudice. This was something Vernon said he was MOST proud of, above anything else, in the '78 interview he gave at the end of his own life. "We never put anybody down." I believe that's the exact quote.

In '57, Elvis wrote in that telegram: "God created everybody equal." So to suggest that the Presleys would vote color in the fifties - because "everybody like them would" - underestimates them as people, and assumes that all southern whites thought alike. That is wrong.

Because your implication is that because of the "time" that the Presleys would have voted "color" in "pre-1955," and I do not believe that, if it were possible. It was not possible, so it's silly to suggest a black candidate in the fifties!

But as for Elvis, it should be understood that wealth and income are two different things. Elvis "consumed" rather than acquired. He gave away, at times, the shirt off his back. So, if he were presented with a Romney character at the time, I don't think he'd be impressed. I can't think of ANYONE in his lifetime, who seriously ran for president who was like Romney in that sense. I can't think of anyone at all. Name anyone who is like him, from that time? I don't think you can. No one like him ran for President. Sure, there were those who had money - and wealth, but no one like him. With offshore accounts, and tax dodges . . . no one.

Was Elvis "the one percent"? It depends on whether you are talking about wealth or income. He died in the hole. And no "wealthy" person keeps a million bucks in A CHECKING ACCOUNT! So, if you're going by wealth, he was not on that side of the fence, and never could be. That's for another generation

His income was rather high, but he was often struggling even with that, because it went out very fast at times. Very fast. He was the greatest consumer the country's ever had!

There were no black candidates for President until Shirley Chisholm in '72, as far as I recall. And that was only a "statement." So it's absurd.

rjm

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm

rjm wrote:
Unless you have that DeLorean, that makes no sense! On any level at all. You know very well that the Doc meant a family LIKE the Presleys...

Because your implication is that because of the "time" that the Presleys would have voted "color" in "pre-1955," and I do not believe that, if it were possible. It was not possible, so it's silly to suggest a black candidate in the fifties!

But as for Elvis, it should be understood that wealth and income are two different things.

Was Elvis "the one percent"?

rjm


RJM,
You might want to take a chill pill and read again what I said.
What does Elvis, as Doc suggested being in the 47% of what
Romney supposedly denigrated have to do with being black?

The great doctor seems to think he knows whom Elvis and his
family would have voted for it they were alive today. Or as you
put it, Romney and Obama going back in time with your DeLorean
and running for President.

And the years I suggested pre-1955 had to do with Elvis wealth,
not as you so erroneously suggested that it had to do with color.
Any true fan would know that there was a significant change in
his income between the years of '54 to '56.

I hope Elvis wouldn't have considered color if he voted. But we
really don't know the answer to that.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:... and we can blame...

That's the only thing the Democratic Party does well.

Have fun with that.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 pm

intheghetto wrote:
Time and time again during this election season, what your group likes to do and maybe all it can do is take words and topics completely out of context to attempt to prove a point. Unfortunately this approach works because there's alot of people out there that either don't want to or who just aren't equipped to go below the surface, they're often referred to as 'low information voters'. There's reality and then there's the re-imagined 'reality'.


This certainly seems to be the case on these boards if not elsewhere. While the Romney supporters seems very keen to dredge up tables of facts and figures at the drop of a hat, they either don't realise or don't want to realise that they tell only half of the story.

We all know Romney and his supporters do not like what Obama has done and is doing, but none of his supporters on these boards seem able to say "Romney will do this if and when he becomes president". Instead all they seem to do is present an image of where Obama is failing in their eyes. Surely a better tactic would be to give examples of how Romney would do better if he became president, and what policies he would implement.

I see no discussion of Romney's policies and they seem unimportant to his supporters, if this board is anything to go by. It seems a rather negative way of discussing politics if the whole debate is built around where the current president is failing rather than how and why the competitor would succeed.

Rather than supporting Romney, people seem to simply not be supporting Obama. And that is no reason to vote Romney unless you have evidence that he would do better under the same circumstances.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:37 pm

poormadpeter wrote:We all know Romney and his supporters do not like what Obama has done and is doing, but none of his supporters on these boards seem able to say "Romney will do this if and when he becomes president". Instead all they seem to do is present an image of where Obama is failing in their eyes. Surely a better tactic would be to give examples of how Romney would do better if he became president, and what policies he would implement.

I see no discussion of Romney's policies and they seem unimportant to his supporters, if this board is anything to go by. It seems a rather negative way of discussing politics if the whole debate is built around where the current president is failing rather than how and why the competitor would succeed.

Rather than supporting Romney, people seem to simply not be supporting Obama. And that is no reason to vote Romney unless you have evidence that he would do better under the same circumstances.

poormadpeter,
Seriously, Mitt Romney is not everything that I'm looking for in a President and I think many conservatives feel the same way.
I personally don't think the Republican Party is conservative enough.

However, as for the choice that we Americans have between Barack Obama & Mitt Romney, I'm basing my vote on what I feel is the lesser of the two evils.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:We all know Romney and his supporters do not like what Obama has done and is doing, but none of his supporters on these boards seem able to say "Romney will do this if and when he becomes president". Instead all they seem to do is present an image of where Obama is failing in their eyes. Surely a better tactic would be to give examples of how Romney would do better if he became president, and what policies he would implement.

I see no discussion of Romney's policies and they seem unimportant to his supporters, if this board is anything to go by. It seems a rather negative way of discussing politics if the whole debate is built around where the current president is failing rather than how and why the competitor would succeed.

Rather than supporting Romney, people seem to simply not be supporting Obama. And that is no reason to vote Romney unless you have evidence that he would do better under the same circumstances.

poormadpeter,
Seriously, Mitt Romney is not everything that I'm looking for in a President and I think many conservatives feel the same way.
I personally don't think the Republican Party is conservative enough.

However, as for the choice that we Americans have between Barack Obama & Mitt Romney, I'm basing my vote on what I feel is the lesser of the two evils.


So, for all your shouting and screaming from the rooftops on these boards, you actually can not tell us what positive things about Romney that you are voting for other than "he's not Obama"?

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:So, for all your shouting and screaming from the rooftops on these boards, you actually can not tell us what positive things about Romney that you are voting for other than "he's not Obama"?

I didn't say that. Now you're twisting my words and ignoring my past posts (foreign policy, etc.) about the positive things concerning Mitt Romney.
Your attitude is a perfect example of why I feel compelled to copy and paste things more than once. You read into things what you want to.
Here... try absorbing this again -

Obama invested TAXPAYER MONEY in:
Solyndra - BANKRUPT
Ener 1 - BANKRUPT
Beacon Power - BANKRUPT
Abound Solar - BANKRUPT
Amonix Solar - BANKRUPT
Spectra Watt - BANKRUPT
Eastern Energy - BANKRUPT
GM Volt - Solyndra on wheels.
Note: All of these companies were Obama campaign contributors.
$900 Billion Dollars with NO Jobs.

Romney's Bain Capital invested PRIVATE MONEY in:
AMC Entertainment - 1500 Theaters, 18,550 Employees.
Burger King - 8432 stores in the United States with 10's of thousands of Employees.
Burlington Coat Factory - 475 stores, 28,729 Employees.
Clear Channel Communications - 20,000 Employees.
Domino's Pizza - 10,000 Employees.
Dunkin' Donuts - 10,000 stores, thousands of Employees.
Guitar Center - 225 stores, hundreds of Employees.
The Sports Authority - 14,300 Employees.
Staples - 1575 stores and thousands of employees.
Toys "R" Us - 836 stores with thousands of employees.
Warner Music Group - 3,700 Employees.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:So, for all your shouting and screaming from the rooftops on these boards, you actually can not tell us what positive things about Romney that you are voting for other than "he's not Obama"?

I didn't say that. Now you're twisting my words and ignoring my past posts about the positive things concerning Mitt Romney.
Your attitude is a perfect example of why I feel compelled to copy and paste things more than once. You read into things what you want to.
Here... try absorbing this again -

Obama invested TAXPAYER MONEY in:
Solyndra - BANKRUPT
Ener 1 - BANKRUPT
Beacon Power - BANKRUPT
Abound Solar - BANKRUPT
Amonix Solar - BANKRUPT
Spectra Watt - BANKRUPT
Eastern Energy - BANKRUPT
GM Volt - Solyndra on wheels.
Note: All of these companies were Obama campaign contributors.
$900 Billion Dollars with NO Jobs.

Romney's Bain Capital invested PRIVATE MONEY in:
AMC Entertainment - 1500 Theaters, 18,550 Employees.
Burger King - 8432 stores in the United States with 10's of thousands of Employees.
Burlington Coat Factory - 475 stores, 28,729 Employees.
Clear Channel Communications - 20,000 Employees.
Domino's Pizza - 10,000 Employees.
Dunkin' Donuts - 10,000 stores, thousands of Employees.
Guitar Center - 225 stores, hundreds of Employees.
The Sports Authority - 14,300 Employees.
Staples - 1575 stores and thousands of employees.
Toys "R" Us - 836 stores with thousands of employees.
Warner Music Group - 3,700 Employees.


Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but Bain Capital is a private company that invests in firms in order to make money for itself (namely Romney and others). While those companies employ thousands of people, they would also have employed the same amount of people had another company other than Bain invested in them. As Bain has be called "notorious for its failure to plow profits back into its businesses," could you therefore explain how Bain's stakes within the companies you list above are actually helping the country as opposed to making Romney richer?

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 pm

The point is that Romney is a smarter business man than Obama will ever be.
Now give me some of your wise insight on the following -
Obama invested TAXPAYER MONEY in:
Solyndra - BANKRUPT
Ener 1 - BANKRUPT
Beacon Power - BANKRUPT
Abound Solar - BANKRUPT
Amonix Solar - BANKRUPT
Spectra Watt - BANKRUPT
Eastern Energy - BANKRUPT
GM Volt - Solyndra on wheels.
Note: All of these companies were Obama campaign contributors.
$900 Billion Dollars with NO Jobs.


As for foreign policy, you should be glad and supportive of someone like Romney that would be willing to stand up and look out for the well-being of American allies instead of sticking his head in the sand like Obama has done concerning the dangerous threats by countries such as Iran.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Blue River wrote:The point is that Romney is a smarter business man than Obama will ever be.
Now gimmie some of your wise insight on the following -
Obama invested TAXPAYER MONEY in:
Solyndra - BANKRUPT
Ener 1 - BANKRUPT
Beacon Power - BANKRUPT
Abound Solar - BANKRUPT
Amonix Solar - BANKRUPT
Spectra Watt - BANKRUPT
Eastern Energy - BANKRUPT
GM Volt - Solyndra on wheels.
Note: All of these companies were Obama campaign contributors.
$900 Billion Dollars with NO Jobs.

As for foreign policy, you should be glad and supportive of someone like Romney that would be willing to stand up and look out for the well-being of American allies instead of sticking his head in the sand like Obama has done concerning the dangerous threats by countries such as Iran.


Is that like the dangerous threat from Iraq from the non-existent weapons of mass destruction, the "presence" of which were what America used in order to persuade a number of countries to go to war with them?

You say Iran is a dangerous threat. Please tell us how and why you think this. Or is it something you just heard on the news and therefore believe? (I'm not saying it isn't, but your views seem very sketchy)

And yes, we know that those companies which Obama invested in went bankrupt. However, if you accuse Obama of sticking his head in the sand then you and Romney are clearly doing the same about the issue of the environment and the green agenda - which was what Obama was investing in. He wasn't investing in those companies because of "business" but to encourage companies like them.

While it is understandable that Americans want improvements to their current living conditions, more jobs and more security, surely they also want a world where their own Grandchildren can go outside in the sun without a high chance of getting skin cancer and where thousands of homes won't have been washed away by rising sea levels?

Either way, being President has precious little to do with being good at business - finance? yes. business? no.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 pm

poormadpeter,
You're a perfect example of what's wrong with this world today. I'm totally wasting my time with you.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Blue River wrote:I'm totally wasting my time with you.

Have a nice day.


Really? Avoiding the questions you can't answer once again!

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:I'm totally wasting my time with you.

Really? Avoiding the questions you can't answer once again!

No, just avoiding you... like the plague.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:I'm totally wasting my time with you.

Really? Avoiding the questions you can't answer once again!

No, just avoiding you... like the plague.


mission accomplished.

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Time for a little fun from NYC last night;

Obama and Romney trade barbs over dinner from Al Jazeera English ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIM3yIlKEJ0

Re: President Obama's Powerful Closing Remarks, 10-16-2012

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:33 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:I'm totally wasting my time with you.

Really? Avoiding the questions you can't answer once again!

No, just avoiding you... like the plague.

mission accomplished.

Oh, just one more thing, poormadpeter.

From the "next venus release" thread...
TCB-FAN wrote:I'm still waiting in agony what the next Uranus release will be.

Perhaps you can share some of your experiences on this subject?