Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 am

I cannot understand why in this day and age that "Dear Georgie" would ever be censored from a Collector's label; mainstream yes. There is a whole lot worse playing on the radio these days and Television is worse. Please do not listen to the grumblers Ernst. Release Elvis studio banter complete with the cursing just as it was in the studio. I hate censorship. If one doesn't like it, don't buy it. There are plenty mainstream releases. At the import price we pay, I want what I cannot get at the local five and dime music outlets. I want to hear more from "My Little Friend", "Hey Jude", "Mama Liked The Roses" and such including alternate overdubbings and outtakes (very few of these have ever popped up) over outtakes that have already appeared on other Official releases a few times.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 am

promiseland wrote:
Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!! No talk about the man in the moon??????

WTF?

Those two will most certainly see these:


Probably yes :wink:

It`s all about his reputation......just like in the early days somehow. To many people, as a person Elvis is still not known in the way that we do, and I think they want it to stay that way.
I know that FTD is a collectors label, but still, it`s available big time in fan stores where everyone (Not only hardcore fans) can buy the cd`s, and I can understand if Mrs. Olsen, or who ever... would get a minor(Or big) chock :lol: , if she got to buy a cd holding "Words from Elvis" that she never expected to hear from that nice loving guy that she admired so much for years.
I was at Graceland Randers shop about two weeks ago, and there was a lot of elderly people there asking for new things to buy, and this topic actually got me wondering...... :? Would I tell them about and recommend a new cd if I knew they might be offended by it?......I really don`t think so.
On the other hand.......Elvis was Elvis, and he had the right to be who he was, so my way of seeing it........take him or leave him for what he was.......for better or for worse. (Maybe it would be a possibility to get a "special warning label"(EX RED) on releases containing bad languish for people who wish to avoid such.....just an idea)

phpBB [video]

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Why does it seem that all of the "good material" comes out on unofficial labels to which many of us, me included, have no access to? While can't the official label release some of the good stuff? It just seems strange to me. I guess I don't get it.

rlj

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:56 pm

elvisa wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!! No talk about the man in the moon??????

WTF?

Those two will most certainly see these:


Probably yes :wink:

It`s all about his reputation......just like in the early days somehow. To many people, as a person Elvis is still not known in the way that we do, and I think they want it to stay that way.
I know that FTD is a collectors label, but still, it`s available big time in fan stores where everyone (Not only hardcore fans) can buy the cd`s, and I can understand if Mrs. Olsen, or who ever... would get a minor(Or big) chock :lol: , if she got to buy a cd holding "Words from Elvis" that she never expected to hear from that nice loving guy that she admired so much for years.
I was at Graceland Randers shop about two weeks ago, and there was a lot of elderly people there asking for new things to buy, and this topic actually got me wondering...... :? Would I tell them about and recommend a new cd if I knew they might be offended by it?......I really don`t think so.
On the other hand.......Elvis was Elvis, and he had the right to be who he was, so my way of seeing it........take him or leave him for what he was.......for better or for worse. (Maybe it would be a possibility to get a "special warning label"(EX RED) on releases containing bad languish for people who wish to avoid such.....just an idea)

phpBB [video]




you never know, the youngsters of today could find it cool to hear him do the 'dear Georgie' etc.......give them a different view of him than the jumpsuits and sunglasses.........

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm

any news about the track list?

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:42 am

Kylan wrote:God u ppl are so irritating! Uncalled for?? Violent sexual imagery best left for the shredder??? Dude get a grip this is 40 plus yr old recordings sold mostly to pointy head collectors anyway! U heard any of the garbage that's sold mainstream today??


I'm with you brother.
Silly, uptight Americans :lol:

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:14 am

I'm American and I love Elvis' cussing! :smt006

I see both sides of it, but FTD really has no reason to edit anything. I am sure it will be a good release.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I'm American and I love Elvis' cussing! :smt006


You're one of the good ones, Mike!

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:08 pm

supposedly these unreleased tidbits


A Little Bit O Green Rehearsal
A Little Bit O Green M With vocals replaced but without Charlie Hodge harmony
Inherit The Wind Track T1
Inherit The Wind Vocal overdub
Inherit The Wind Vocal overdub
From A Jack To A King T5 Master undubbed & unrepaired
And The Grass Wont Pay No Mind Master with vocal repair
Do You Know Who I Am Master with vocal repair

The Fairs Moving On Master with vocal repair (previousely only released on the elusive Memphis Memories Vinyl)

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!!
WTF?


"Dear Georgie" will be included. Here's the new FTD album cover:


littlepeter.jpg

That is hilarious. You do have a gift for these things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:57 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Why does it seem that all of the "good material" comes out on unofficial labels to which many of us, me included, have no access to? While can't the official label release some of the good stuff? It just seems strange to me. I guess I don't get it.

You don't think FTD has released any "good stuff"? Take another look:

FTD Catalogue
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/followthatdream.html

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm

voldto wrote:supposedly these unreleased tidbits


A Little Bit O Green Rehearsal
A Little Bit O Green M With vocals replaced but without Charlie Hodge harmony
Inherit The Wind Track T1
Inherit The Wind Vocal overdub
Inherit The Wind Vocal overdub
From A Jack To A King T5 Master undubbed & unrepaired
And The Grass Wont Pay No Mind Master with vocal repair
Do You Know Who I Am Master with vocal repair

The Fairs Moving On Master with vocal repair (previousely only released on the elusive Memphis Memories Vinyl)

Very keen post.

And let's not forget that ALL the outtakes on Back In Memphis (FTD) will be in STEREO.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!!
WTF?


"Dear Georgie" will be included. Here's the new FTD album cover:


Image


If you don't mind, I've downloaded this masterpiece for my personal collection. Dear God!

(You're really GOOD at this!) smt178

rjm
P.S. -- Thanks, James27. :D

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 am

Maybe FTD should put together all of Elvis' most f***ing offensive banter together on one g******n cd. "Having Fun with Elvis in the Studio, G******it!" I'm sure it would sell like a m***f***er. And offensive language sticker on the cover could only boost sales.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:52 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Maybe FTD should put together all of Elvis' most f***ing offensive banter together on one g******n cd. "Having Fun with Elvis in the Studio, G******it!" I'm sure it would sell like a m***f***er. And offensive language sticker on the cover could only boost sales.


Then Eminem (M&M) could do a duet with him!! Its the Sh*t Yo!

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 am

Ppl should be used to cussing now it's heard everywhere music,tv,movies,comics,cartoons etc.just leave the recordings uncut Ernst!screw the cry babies who dont like cussing.also they should not mess with placing studio chatter from a take and placing it before another one thats a no no Ej.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:16 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Maybe FTD should put together all of Elvis' most f***ing offensive banter together on one g******n cd. "Having Fun with Elvis in the Studio, G******it!" I'm sure it would sell like a m***f***er. And offensive language sticker on the cover could only boost sales.


Then Eminem (M&M) could do a duet with him!! Its the Sh*t Yo!

There's no denying our members have a nuanced view of popular music. ;-)

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:56 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Maybe FTD should put together all of Elvis' most f***ing offensive banter together on one g******n cd. "Having Fun with Elvis in the Studio, G******it!" I'm sure it would sell like a m***f***er. And offensive language sticker on the cover could only boost sales.


Then Eminem (M&M) could do a duet with him!! Its the Sh*t Yo!

That would be bad @$$! Elvis kickin' out the m***f*** jams with Eminem on "A Little Less Conversation (A Little More Smack Talkin')"!

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 am

Actually, a "warning label" mainstream release might get a lot of media attention, and sales to a younger co-hort. That's true. But, of course, we just want to hear the takes in the their context, and that includes the cussing - especially when it's interwoven with the music. It's not really that bad -- not in this day and age.

What I am curious about is that tidbit that they "got complaints." What sort of people buy outtakes of Elvis in the studio, which they should KNOW contains a good bit of raw language, and then complains about it? That makes no sense. I think there are certain fans who want to maintain a certain fantasy-image of Elvis in their minds - I think we know what sort of fans these are, and to pander to them seems bizarre. It's like making records for all the fans who buy those Darren Lee books. Really.

Elvis was never "ready for prime time" in that sense, and people are just gonna have to get used to it. At a certain point, the Col. decided on the "nice boy" image, who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't do anything. Elvis, I think to his credit, tried to blow that out of the water, more than once. "The image is one thing; the human being is another." I would say it's "very hard" to try to make his records live up to that image! And except for one or two bizarre exceptions, there's no reason to. Because some old lady from some small town somewhere who reads those Darren Lee books, complains?

Those days are over, I'm sure. Elvis fans are generally pretty cool, and can handle whatever was the reality. Sure, like I said, one or two things had a backstory, and they appear to be in very bad taste (and judging by the wonderfully phantasmagoric artwork by monkboughtlunch, are insane, as well). But everything is just normal nowadays. And a few complaints from people who live in a fantasy world shouldn't make a difference.

Look: this is the way people talk today. It is ALSO the way they talked back in the day. Especially in a business like that, with mostly male musicians at work. It's ridiculous to expect anything else - to expect a fantasy. It's reality. I thought we were over it.

rjm

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 am

Darrin Lee books?

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Darrin Lee books?


Oh, you're in for a treat! Google him.

For 100 bucks I'll preload a Kindle Touch with ALL his books! All yours! LOL!

rjm

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm

rjm wrote:Actually, a "warning label" mainstream release might get a lot of media attention, and sales to a younger co-hort. That's true. But, of course, we just want to hear the takes in the their context, and that includes the cussing - especially when it's interwoven with the music. It's not really that bad -- not in this day and age.

What I am curious about is that tidbit that they "got complaints." What sort of people buy outtakes of Elvis in the studio, which they should KNOW contains a good bit of raw language, and then complains about it? That makes no sense. I think there are certain fans who want to maintain a certain fantasy-image of Elvis in their minds - I think we know what sort of fans these are, and to pander to them seems bizarre. It's like making records for all the fans who buy those Darren Lee books. Really.

Elvis was never "ready for prime time" in that sense, and people are just gonna have to get used to it. At a certain point, the Col. decided on the "nice boy" image, who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't do anything. Elvis, I think to his credit, tried to blow that out of the water, more than once. "The image is one thing; the human being is another." I would say it's "very hard" to try to make his records live up to that image! And except for one or two bizarre exceptions, there's no reason to. Because some old lady from some small town somewhere who reads those Darren Lee books, complains?

Those days are over, I'm sure. Elvis fans are generally pretty cool, and can handle whatever was the reality. Sure, like I said, one or two things had a backstory, and they appear to be in very bad taste (and judging by the wonderfully phantasmagoric artwork by monkboughtlunch, are insane, as well). But everything is just normal nowadays. And a few complaints from people who live in a fantasy world shouldn't make a difference.

Look: this is the way people talk today. It is ALSO the way they talked back in the day. Especially in a business like that, with mostly male musicians at work. It's ridiculous to expect anything else - to expect a fantasy. It's reality. I thought we were over it.

rjm


agree Robin....lets get him out there for the young ones