Off Topic Messages

Were all Elvis movies originally in Widescreen ?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 am

Or "VistaVision" or are they all in fake widescreen on the DVD's? I read where the Beatles "A hard Day's Night" was cropped to be put into widescreen. Plus quite a few of my friends are beginning to hate widescreen and prefer full screen movies on their big screen TV's. I'm confused!

Re: Were all Elvis movies originally in Widescreen ?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:59 am

All of Elvis's films were shot to be exhibited in widescreen. Some, like Jailhouse Rock, were filmed in a standard 4:3 ratio to be cropped for theatrical exhibition, so they can be viewed in a 'fuller' standard ratio, but that is considered incorrect as it isn't what the original filmmaker's intentions were.

Re: Were all Elvis movies originally in Widescreen ?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:All of Elvis's films were shot to be exhibited in widescreen. Some, like Jailhouse Rock, were filmed in a standard 4:3 ratio to be cropped for theatrical exhibition, so they can be viewed in a 'fuller' standard ratio, but that is considered incorrect as it isn't what the original filmmaker's intentions were.

This is correct Jailhouse Rock was shot with Super-35mm 1.85, but later extracted it to 2.35. Leasing CinemaScope and Panavision lenses was an expensive option, most likely this was done later to save money.