Off Topic Messages

John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP songs

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

Interesting find on You Tube. Is it derived from a bootleg ? BTW Happy Birthday John Lennon, who would've turned 72. ( wherever you are)! Still greatly missed :cry:



phpBB [video]

Last edited by Robt on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels (alternate takes)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks. I had let it slip my mind: thanks for remembering! Sometimes, we think we're so busy, but we're just watchin' the wheels go round and round. Or maybe we should be doing that . . . you "just have let it go."

We still love ya, John!

rjm

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels (alternate takes)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for your reply. It's been years since I last heard the song, too. I loved the song when i first heard it in 1981. I think It would be nice if his country of birth honoured him and his extraordinary legacy with a stamp.

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels (alternate takes)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am

Robt wrote:Interesting find on You Tube. Is it derived from a bootleg ? BTW Happy Birthday John Lennon, who would've turned 72. ( wherever you are)! Still greatly missed :cry:



phpBB [video]


Thanks Rob,a real nice song

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels (alternate takes)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks Ken. Did you know these, Going Down on Love, Surprise Sweet Bird of Paradise, Scarred , all are from the brilliant Walls and Bridges record.

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels (alternate takes)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:03 am

Robt wrote:Thanks Ken. Did you know these, Going Down on Love, Surprise Sweet Bird of Paradise, Scarred , all are from the brilliant Walls and Bridges record.

yes isaw those cheers

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels & other memorable LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:06 am

keninlincs wrote:
Robt wrote:Thanks Ken. Did you know these, Going Down on Love, Surprise Sweet Bird of Paradise, Scarred , all are from the brilliant Walls and Bridges record.

yes isaw those cheers


Hey Ken, I'm gonna re-title this topic slightly cause it occurs to me that there is many Lennon songs that are not well known, as in songs that appeared on his solo LP's, that deserves a listen -

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels & other memorable LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 am

Robt wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
Robt wrote:Thanks Ken. Did you know these, Going Down on Love, Surprise Sweet Bird of Paradise, Scarred , all are from the brilliant Walls and Bridges record.

yes isaw those cheers


Hey Ken, I'm gonna re-title this topic slightly cause there is many Lennon songs that are not well known, as in songs that appeared on his solo LP's that deserves a listen -

Yes ,good idea.John did some superb stuff as a solo artist
Happy Birthday Mr John Lennon
My Personal favorite
phpBB [video]

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah Love "Mother" and the 1969 Plastic Ono Band record. Thanks Ken. Here's three tracks from Mind Games that I like -

phpBB [video]



phpBB [video]



phpBB [video]

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am

Cheers ,I like Intuition

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't know the rules: can they knight him, posthumously?

He should be "Sir John Lennon," after all!

Just because Sir Winston Churchill lived 'till 90 shouldn't mean that he has the "Sir" and John doesn't cause he was murdered as a young man. That's not fair.

rjm

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Tight A$ is a nice rockabilly cut from Mind Games that may appeal to a lot of people here.

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:19 pm

One of my favorites (Double Fantasy is a fantastic album!):

phpBB [video]

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:58 am

Yeah that was good one. There's an original version of it before extra dubbs was added on YT that's equally as good -
phpBB [video]

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 pm

rjm wrote:I don't know the rules: can they knight him, posthumously?

He should be "Sir John Lennon," after all!

Just because Sir Winston Churchill lived 'till 90 shouldn't mean that he has the "Sir" and John doesn't cause he was murdered as a young man. That's not fair.

rjm


What a ridiculous statement. :roll: :roll:

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:24 am

Love JL undubbed and Outtakes :)
Made a cdr a few years ago that have a awesome version of jealous guy.
It starts with a countdown then the piano on the left channel before the whole band kick in in both channels.
Couldnt find it on YOUTUBE.
Anyone knows this version and what cd it is taken from?

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:14 am

Awesome and happy belated birthday!!!!! 8)

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 pm

The undubbed outtake of You Are Here from the Imagine box set is my favourite ever Lennon solo years recording.

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:59 pm

As John returned his MBE, I doubt he would have wanted a knighthood.

Anyway, I don't think a knighthood can be bestowed posthumously (or taken away - see the debate about the nation's favourite sex offender, Jimmy Savile).

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:01 pm

rjm wrote:I don't know the rules: can they knight him, posthumously?

He should be "Sir John Lennon," after all!

Just because Sir Winston Churchill lived 'till 90 shouldn't mean that he has the "Sir" and John doesn't cause he was murdered as a young man. That's not fair.

rjm



W T F :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 am

Here's John's green card issued in 1976, after his deportation order was overturned by the U.S. Federal court.


Image

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:53 am

Interesting the photo is circa 1973. He waited a long time to get his Green Card.

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 am

rocknroller wrote:
rjm wrote:I don't know the rules: can they knight him, posthumously?

He should be "Sir John Lennon," after all!

Just because Sir Winston Churchill lived 'till 90 shouldn't mean that he has the "Sir" and John doesn't cause he was murdered as a young man. That's not fair.

rjm



W T F :shock: :shock: :shock:


I'm only an American! I don't know about these things! Just seemed right. There's a Sir Paul, a Sir Elton . . . all those "Sir"s.

rjm

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Interesting the photo is circa 1973. He waited a long time to get his Green Card.

Is it possibly a fake? I thought spectacles are not allowed on photographs for a green card, regardless of whether one wears them or not?

Re: John Lennon - Watching the Wheels and other quality LP s

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:47 pm

rjm wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
rjm wrote:I don't know the rules: can they knight him, posthumously?

He should be "Sir John Lennon," after all!

Just because Sir Winston Churchill lived 'till 90 shouldn't mean that he has the "Sir" and John doesn't cause he was murdered as a young man. That's not fair.

rjm



W T F :shock: :shock: :shock:


I'm only an American! I don't know about these things! Just seemed right. There's a Sir Paul, a Sir Elton . . . all those "Sir"s.

rjm


Lennon wouldn't have wanted it anyway. He already returned his MBE medal to the Queen in 1969 in protest and didn't want to be seen as selling out to the establishment. So any upgrade the Queen could have bestowed upon him, to a level of OBE, CBE, KBE or GBE (the last two gives you the privilege to call yourself "Sir") would have likely been rejected from him.

Equally, I find it unlikely the Queen would have knighted John after this rejection of the MBE.

P.S. As much as I love John, to start comparing him to Sir Winston Churchill, one of the greatest Britons of all time, is almost blasphemy!