Off Topic Messages

Re: Best 10 Cover versions that betters the originals -

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:18 am

Robt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:
bquick wrote:Can't believe so many think a half-assed GnR cover from their most dysfunctional period is better than one of the Stones' finest moments...

I don't get it either.

Hell, why not praise the cover by Natalie Merchant?

When I read the suggestion, I knew this topic was doomed.

It may be well argued that the Rolling Stones 1968 recording of "Sympathy for the Devil" is one of their greatest songs.

Didn't I mention at the start, that it is subjective? That's what makes this topic is all about. Yes the SFTD is one of Stones greatest songs. But i give a slight edge to Guns n Roses. Who the hell is Natalie Merchant ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Merchant

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 am

thanks. She's not bad. Super version, from a female viewpoint. However I prefer Sandie's rendition. You heard this one -

phpBB [video]

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:17 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
bquick wrote:Can't believe so many think a half-assed GnR cover from their most dysfunctional period is better than one of the Stones' finest moments...

I don't get it either.

People can and should be able to prefer what they want. Often it is the case that the version we hear first is the version that we continue to prefer - therefore people growing up in the 80s/90s were more than likely going to be familiar with the Guns n Roses version first, hence why they prefer it or think it better.

It's ok for everyone to have their own preferences...it is my subjective opinion that the Stones version is a seminal recording and that the GnR version should be retitled "contractual obligations."

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:

I don't get it either.

Hell, why not praise the cover by Natalie Merchant?

When I read the suggestion, I knew this topic was doomed.

It may be well argued that the Rolling Stones 1968 recording of "Sympathy for the Devil" is one of their greatest songs.

No argument from me!

The song is iconic, from the arrangement (and the "woo woo's!") to the instrumentation...the song is one of their shining moments.

poormadpeter wrote:People can and should be able to prefer what they want. Often it is the case that the version we hear first is the version that we continue to prefer - therefore people growing up in the 80s/90s were more than likely going to be familiar with the Guns n Roses version first, hence why they prefer it or think it better.

Sure but I can still be surprised by the choice that the GnR version beats out the Stones, yes?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 am

Otis Redding -Try A Little Tenderness

No, he did not steal from the white.