Off Topic Messages

Cody Slaughter - Greatest 50's Elvis?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:26 am

phpBB [video]

Re: Cody Slaughter - Greatest 50's Elvis?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 am

Not bad... not bad at all.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:16 am

The greatest 50s Elvis is Elvis himself. By far.

Don't waste your time on these lifeless, soulless and talentless wannabe's... No need to when there is plenty of footage of the real deal around.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 am

Rock Legend wrote:The greatest 50s Elvis is Elvis himself. By far.
Don't waste your time on these lifeless, soulless and talentless wannabe's... No need to when there is plenty of footage of the real deal around.

Don't hold back, Rock Legend. Please tell us what you really think.

::rocks

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm

So, then..........why did you? :wink:

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Blue River wrote:Not bad... not bad at all.

I agree. He has a great look, and his control of Elvis's mannerisms is outstanding.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:45 pm

hes not elvis..elvis is a one off...but i got to give the lad credit..hes worked hard to give elvis fans a great night out.. :smt005 some ETAs help keep the elvis flame shining..

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Quite an immature comment to make.

No one's saying this lad is trying to replace Elvis but merely doing a tribute of Elvis in the 50's and compared to a number i've seen over the years Cody is one of the best.

His facial looks are similar to Elvis which is what most Tribute Artists lack.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Bodie wrote:Quite an immature comment to make.

No one's saying this lad is trying to replace Elvis but merely doing a tribute of Elvis in the 50's and compared to a number i've seen over the years Cody is one of the best. His facial looks are similar to Elvis which is what most Tribute Artists lack.

Agreed, Bodie...I chuckle at those folks who get downright angry/offended at ETA's. Never understood that. Sure, there are tons out there who suck. Some are very good. It's not like any of them could ever replace Elvis.

So.....what's the problem? And please, don't talk about "harming the legacy." That's silly.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Very good. Thanks for posting it. I only played Money Honey and Heartbreak Hotel so far. It's not Todd's boy is it ?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 pm

KHoots wrote:
Bodie wrote:Quite an immature comment to make.

No one's saying this lad is trying to replace Elvis but merely doing a tribute of Elvis in the 50's and compared to a number i've seen over the years Cody is one of the best. His facial looks are similar to Elvis which is what most Tribute Artists lack.

Agreed, Bodie...I chuckle at those folks who get downright angry/offended at ETA's. Never understood that. Sure, there are tons out there who suck. Some are very good. It's not like any of them could ever replace Elvis.

So.....what's the problem? And please, don't talk about "harming the legacy." That's silly.

:smt041 :smt041

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Cody is a nice guy, he's very young and talented. He moves very authentically when he pays tribute to a 50s Elvis. He is 6 foot tall, handsom and very respectful to Elvis.

I can't find anything disgusting or offensive about that.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 am

Can't stand ETA's, but I'll make an exception here. He's pretty good!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 am

He's worked hard on the moves and does look a little like Elvis - as close as anyone is likely to get anyway. The wig is also excellent.

Last thing I heard he was playing Elvis in the touring version of Million Dollar Quartet.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 am

I don't like ETAs at all, but he's doing it with respect and he's not overacting.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 pm

The slight roundness of his face and the hair style (minus the sideburns) sort of puts me in mind of the way Elvis looked in Spinout.

smt179 Just an observation.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I think his attention to detail is quite staggering.

It's also very refreshing to see someone for once imitate [so well] the trailblazing king of the 50's - as opposed to the archetypal "Vegas Elvis" impersonator.

Mean Woman Blues and Hound Dog [in particular] are jaw droppingly good performances.

phpBB [video]

Superior in-line audio mix (and angles) of Don't Be Cruel and Hound Dog

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:57 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I think his attention to detail is quite staggering.

But his voice sounds nothing like Elvis'.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm

He is very good!

Thanks for sharing the clips. :)

I do have to say that we have a member on this message board that is the best I have ever seen.

His name is Jamie Aaron Kelley.

::rocks
Last edited by Mitch on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 pm

JimmyCool wrote:

Certainly, his vocal timbre needs working on. But he's only young so that may improve with time.

That said, I much prefer Cody's voice to Ronnie McDowell! :smt068

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

Certainly, his vocal timbre needs working on. But he's only young so that may improve with time.

That said, I much prefer Cody's voice to Ronnie McDowell! :smt068

I'd much rather see him perform in his own clothes, with his own voice, his own style, his own moves and doing his own versions of Elvis songs. I don't get the ETA thing at all - and I wouldn't go and see someone who performed as Sinatra etc either. But some of these guys (including this one) do have decent voices and a decent stage presence and if they were themselves rather than trying to be somebody else would appeal to a much wider audience than hardcore Elvis fans or drunks in the pub.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
phpBB [video]

Crowd going wild at 23:43. The boy is good though.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 am

poormadpeter wrote:I'd much rather see him perform in his own clothes, with his own voice, his own style, his own moves and doing his own versions of Elvis songs. I don't get the ETA thing at all - and I wouldn't go and see someone who performed as Sinatra etc either. But some of these guys (including this one) do have decent voices and a decent stage presence and if they were themselves rather than trying to be somebody else would appeal to a much wider audience than hardcore Elvis fans or drunks in the pub.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I'd much rather see him perform in his own clothes, with his own voice, his own style, his own moves and doing his own versions of Elvis songs. I don't get the ETA thing at all - and I wouldn't go and see someone who performed as Sinatra etc either. But some of these guys (including this one) do have decent voices and a decent stage presence and if they were themselves rather than trying to be somebody else would appeal to a much wider audience than hardcore Elvis fans or drunks in the pub.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

While the genre isn't my thing, those videos have to be preferable to trying to be someone you're not, right?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 pm

I thought the same thing. Very well done. Jamie Aaron Kelley has that nailed, as well--as was suggested by Mitch.