Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jan./Feb. '74 Vegas Engagement

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:13 pm

This Vegas run doesn't seem to get too much attention compared to August '74 or the two '75 engagements, yet Elvis is in rather good form as can be heard on the I Found My Thrill FTD. Any thoughts?

Re: Jan./Feb. '74 Vegas Engagement

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I find this engagement to offer a refreshingly commited and focused Elvis. The set lists offer new material as well as new arrangments and outings of old material.
One of my favorite seasons at the hotel.

Nikki

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

You mean the three 1975 engagements?

Anyway, good question about the 1974 season. I'll get back to it in a couple of days, when I have more time on my hands, unless someone beats me to the punch.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Pete Dube wrote:This Vegas run doesn't seem to get too much attention compared to August '74 or the two '75 engagements, yet Elvis is in rather good form as can be heard on the I Found My Thrill FTD. Any thoughts?

Comparing January '74 as opposed to Sept. '74 is like comparing night & day. What a difference a few months can make.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:11 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:This Vegas run doesn't seem to get too much attention compared to August '74 or the two '75 engagements, yet Elvis is in rather good form as can be heard on the I Found My Thrill FTD. Any thoughts?

Comparing January '74 as opposed to Sept. '74 is like comparing night & day. What a difference a few months can make.

In January '74 Elvis had the benefit of about 5 months off from concerts.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

From what I've heard from this season in Vegas, Elvis sounded clear and sharp - and looked well, too. Time between engagements benefitted him and it's a shame, to my mind, that longer periods of down time or time on other projects (TV, movies, special engagements etc) couldn't have become the norm hereafter. But, yeah - Elvis sounded lively and as though he was enjoying playing live at this time and with Sinatra back at Caesars Palace Vegas must have been buzzing.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:50 pm

And the first tour of '74 that followed, his voice to me was on par of that of the Elvis from 1970. Some of his best shows...

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:05 am

From these 29 shows that Elvis performed.. 28 are available on various formats..only the MS of January 29th is missing. The concerts were solid throughout..I think..only minus..many of them were almost identical..same setlists..no surprises at all....just like a schedule that Elvis followed strictly....

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 am

Could be great if a really good soundboard from this season turned up. The "I found my thrill" FTD release is rather bad sounding (I actually much prefer the sound of the "Found my thrill" mix on the same release).

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 am

The shows were adequate. I don't go back to that engagement too often. I agree with Cisco. It was rather perfunctory.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 am

Mike DK wrote:Could be great if a really good soundboard from this season turned up. The "I found my thrill" FTD release is rather bad sounding (I actually much prefer the sound of the "Found my thrill" mix on the same release).

Bad sounding? You're kidding, right? That is a great soundboard release. In fact, it's the first of its kind from that engagement, and the mastering has been handled by Jean-Marc. The medley you are referring to is a compilation of various bits and pieces from audience recordings.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:48 am

Anytime you have less than an hour to kill and you want to listen to an Elvis show, you can always get it done with a show from this engagement. They were short, sweet and to the point. You do, however, usually have to listen to Voice singing "Killing Me Softly" which I don't mind too much.

"I Found My Thrill" is indeed a good release, Ken.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 am

Elvis is in good voice but not too daring with his set. I Found My Thrill is nice, a few of the shows later that season are kind of boring. Better than the 1973 Vegas gigs,

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:23 am

Mike DK wrote:Could be great if a really good soundboard from this season turned up. The "I found my thrill" FTD release is rather bad sounding (I actually much prefer the sound of the "Found my thrill" mix on the same release).

I disagree. It's a good sounding soundboard IMHO. Not counting the occasional distortions of course. I love the whole CD, it's definitely among my favorite FTD's. Good show in good sound and even the bonus tracks are interesting. A big plus that this is the only available soundboard from this season both officially and unofficially.
How strange that this great and unique FTD release suffered from low sales! I'd like to see another release from this season (IIRC they still have at least 5 soundboards in the vaults - all from late january and early february) but due to low sales of IFMT i guess it won't happen. :(
Unless Ciscoking assures Ernst!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 am

yes another show would be ok!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am

Weird that the sales would be low, it is a very good show for that season.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Weird that the sales would be low, it is a very good show for that season.

Not only that, but it’s also the official opening show, which makes it even more interesting. It’s also the third show of the season, and the sound quality is very good.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 pm

i always regarded that show as a marvelous and 'fine' FTD release :D