Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis as a songwriter?

Wed May 07, 2003 6:38 am

What is this? I didn't think that Elvis actually ever wrote any songs. Go to eBay item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIsapI.dll?/v ... 2527846389.

If that doesn't work, just go to eBay item 2527846389.

Wed May 07, 2003 6:46 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2527846389

It doesn't say anything about Elvis?

It's funny how the song credit info is blanked out in the picture.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Wed May 07, 2003 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 07, 2003 7:01 am

Rose and Anna Carter recorded this song as part of the Chuck Wagon Gang during a radio broadcast and subsequently released by Columbia.

The Chuck Wagon Gang was founded in the 30's and was and still is a WASP gospel outfit.

The site shows a very obscure label photo and to infer that Elvis Presley wrote it has got to be fraudalent.

The song has no ASCAP or BMI copyright which suggests that it may have been a traditional gospel song in public domain.

Let any buyer beware 8)

Wed May 07, 2003 7:11 am

I thought Elvis wrote "You'll Be Gone", or co-wrote it at least?

Wed May 07, 2003 6:05 pm

Will everyone please repeat after me: "Elvis did not write songs." Memorize it, chant it like a mantra, do whatever it takes to absorb it. Elvis had the most compelling singing voice of the 20th century. At his best he was a brilliant interpreter. His voice was in my opinion the most diverse. He was arguably the first white singer to make true "emotionalism" the main thrust of pop singing over technique. (Johnny Ray's emotionalism was too theatrical). He had an instinctive genius for synthesizing different musical genres'. He could "hear" songs without mentally catagorizing them. These were his gifts. But he was NOT a songwriter! (although some of his best re-interpretations of previously recorded material amounted to re-inventions of the song).

Elvis as a songwriter.

Wed May 07, 2003 8:19 pm

Looks like they didn't fool anybody, though, as no one placed a bid. Case closed!

Wed May 07, 2003 8:41 pm

Right Elvis didn't wrote a single song. He was mentioned on the Love me tender songs with Vera Matson but it was Ken Darby who wrote the songs. Even with Don't be cruel it was Blackwell and Elvis was again mentioned only for financial reasons. Later he offered some ideas for You'll be gone (He had some thoughts about another European sounding song)and That's someone you never forget (he wanted to aphazise a love affair which ended recently).

Re: Elvis as a songwriter?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 am

So Elvis' name was simply added as a co-writer of the songs as a courtesy?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 am

rlj4ep wrote:So Elvis' name was simply added as a co-writer of the songs as a courtesy?

You realize you just revived a 9 and 1/2 year old topic?

Anyway, this is the deal on the co-writes.

All the 1956-1957 "Presley" writer credits are not legitimate; they were assigned with Elvis' name as soon as publishing was secure. The ensuing songs below published this way were a business deal, pure and simple.

Elvis did demand a stop as soon as he became fully aware of what management was doing. Only eight total, to be exact, had Presley's name slapped on. The songwriter most "hurt" by this brief deal was Otis Blackwell (*):

Heartbreak Hotel
Don't Be Cruel*
We're Gonna Move
Love Me Tender
Poor Boy
Let Me
Paralyzed*

All Shook Up*

In the 1960s, there were two more co-writes, both of which may be considered legitimate:

That's Someone You Never Forget (Red West-Elvis Presley) - 1961
You'll Be Gone (West-Presley-Hodge) - 1962

And that's it.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 am

I dont know why Elvis as songwriter is such an issue. Elvis was'nt a songwriter and i dont know of any time he said he was a songwriter. Things were different in the 1950s.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks so much, DOC. I was just checking on some discussions from the past and notcied that somehow I missed this conversation. :wink: As always, you provide great information on Elvis. Thanks for your insightful information of this topic.

rlj

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks so much, DOC. I was just checking on some discussions from the past and notcied that somehow I missed this conversation. :wink: As always, you provide great information on Elvis. Thanks for your insightful information of this topic.

rlj

Your kind words make it all worthwhile. It makes me happy to share. Thank you.